Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there anything that would make you move on from playing TS3?

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2018
    Joey_XuX wrote: »
    Well I stopped playing it when everyone in my household was stretching and glitching out, sims 3 is such a glitchy game and I've encounter so many bugs. If sims 5 comes out I will wait like 9 months and watch other people play it to decide if I want it myself.
    When that happened to me the cause was using MOO a bit too carelessly. I started a new save, threw in my simmies from the bin and everything was fine again. I’ve handled MOO more careful since and the glitch never came back.

@ starguru I wish you all the best! And yes, it is <3
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Well I stopped playing it when everyone in my household was stretching and glitching out, sims 3 is such a glitchy game and I've encounter so many bugs. If sims 5 comes out I will wait like 9 months and watch other people play it to decide if I want it myself.

I am sorry to hear what happened to your TS3. I don't think there is a single player who has not come across a glitch or bug with the game. I play vanilla and am simply unable to use Isla Paradiso because a lot of the bugs in it were never sorted out. It all depends on how much you want to play the game again or if you have moved on to other things but it might be worth trying @JoAnne65 suggestion or seeking help from one of the sources mentioned by @igazor.

MOO does have a reputation for doing strange things to computers. I rarely use it as a result but recently had to in order to use the Castle Kit. The next time I used EIG to build I could not place a staircase. Not matter what I tried. You can imagine the language :)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
    edited July 2018

I am sorry to hear what happened to your TS3. I don't think there is a single player who has not come across a glitch or bug with the game. I play vanilla and am simply unable to use Isla Paradiso because a lot of the bugs in it were never sorted out. It all depends on how much you want to play the game again or if you have moved on to other things but it might be worth trying @JoAnne65 suggestion or seeking help from one of the sources mentioned by @igazor.

MOO does have a reputation for doing strange things to computers. I rarely use it as a result but recently had to in order to use the Castle Kit. The next time I used EIG to build I could not place a staircase. Not matter what I tried. You can imagine the language :)
    As for Isla Paradiso vanilla, you might want to try the adjustments Ellacharmed made. Apart from the ones you need CAW for, you can do them by yourself. I have and though there is more slight stuttering than in other worlds and I still do the occasional resetsim *, it's very playable that way.
    5JZ57S6.png
    @starguru I continue to send best wishes to you both :)

Perhaps. if the idea of an upgrade is ever muted by the company, we could pool some of our building ideas to give to the developers. It would be good if a lot of cheats and some mods could be incorporated into the game making it easier for builders. Not at the expense of the critical things though, CAW, CASt, terrain tools, pools, ponds and foutains.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
    @JoAnne65 thank you <3 I was not aware there was anything vanilla players could use. I will definitely give it a go.

Sim enim est vita
    MadIris wrote: »
    Count me in for an updated Sims 3. Nothing else could come close.

I think that we could all settle for an 'updated' TS3 for now but I do still want to see something new again one day. I miss trying things out for the first time. I want to see a new approach to world building as well as I want to rebuild everything but not as they are in TS3. I have been doing more research on houses lately and there is a lot of things that I need to do properly lol

Improvements to CAW is on my wish list but I am looking for something that makes the tool easier to use without losing any of the flexibility it has now. As I just commented it would be useful to have some cheats and perhaps mods included which would certainly make building easier. As for having something new to try out I think that applies to a good many of us. Afterall we had our last pack in 2013? That's 5 years!

Google images has really helped with the design of lots for my project. Over the last couple of months it has given me some good examples of Cotswold buildings, Tudor Manor house, Georgian Town houses, churches, Memorial hospitals. Other sources include my sports mad hubby who looked at the design of my cricket pitch and made useful recommendations to make it more authentic.

Sim enim est vita
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Well, I quit playing S3 when S4 came out, then returned to S3 for awhile when I couldn't get used to the clay hair. Then when Get Together and Get To Work came out, with all the game packs and stuff packs came out, I went back to S4. Then came back to S3 whenever I wanted to play with the seasons. Then toddlers and vampires were released, back to S4, then back to S3. I have changed my games so much I get whiplash, lol. But, Sims 3 has always been one of my favorites mostly after NRass' mods finally made the game playable. So now I go back and forth, enjoying the features of both.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
    @bshag4lv I smiled when I read your post :) because if circumstances were slightly different I would probably do the same. Sorry about the whiplash though. Do you think the fact TS3 is a fully mature game with loads of content influenced your behaviour ? With the company releasing more packs and with the statement TS4 will continue for another 3 years do you think your behaviour will change ? We often think people who like both games have both on the computer at the same time. There might be another group who alternate between the two. As long as the player is happy that is all that matters.

Sim enim est vita
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Thanks Bettyboop. I realized just how much stuff Sims 3 had and some stuff, like the water balloon fight is done so much better than in S4. I had to laugh, I had been playing S4 for around a couple of years now so when I returned to S3, I had forgotten how to dl cc and mods. :D I probably will continue to get "whiplash" as there are things in both I love and mostly totally attached to my simmies in both. <3
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • SummerSong86SummerSong86 Posts: 2,090 Member
    I stopped playing toward end of 2011. Someone mentioned traumatic brain injury might make them stop playing. I did not have anything quite as horrible, but bad enough. My lifelong "mostly mild" migraine disorder worsened to become a very debilitating condition similar to epilepsy in a lot of ways.

What really stopped me the most, though, was moving to a new house and within a few weeks of that massive undertaking, discovering my dad had cancer and from then on he or my mom or my in-laws started needing more attention and help as they all aged and experienced more health issues. So many things took over my life and kept me from fixing a home office in the new house. I had a MacBook Pro (that still works and still has my 2011 Sims stuff on it) but that started having overheating issues once we got Lucky Palms and boats were added to the game. I needed a desktop pc again and for that I needed an office. For years, it just wasn't happening. Our whole family was in a daze just trying to keep up with everything.

I would have settled for just keeping in touch with Sims friends here. But just when I thought I was better and got back in touch with my friends after the move, I got hit with a series of seizures that messed up blood flow within my brain and lost ability to read, speak, write. Over time, I got writing and reading ability back. I still struggle with speech, but I can't complain, as it has helped me empathize with and comfort my mother-in-law who deals with speech loss after a stroke. We have a new bond and understanding that is a great gift.

So, here I am. Life is good. We all are hanging in there, including my dad. My husband and daughter helped me finally get my home office finished and got me a computer for my birthday. It is a very powerful gaming computer, not quite top of the line but still very good specs and good cooling. But I am laughing to see Sims 3 can still lag and do crazy things on it. Oh EA! But it is very much fun to be back.

My daughter is a teenager now and she plays the game when I am not.

I was very lost and confused when I first fired up the game. I did not use my disks. I decided to register my serial numbers through Origin and play it that way. I am slowly starting to remember everything I forgot. It's very good exercise for my brain!

Of course I am very curious about Sims 4. But two expansion packs that I got in 2012 for Sims3 never even had their shrink wrap removed until a couple of weeks ago! I still have to get my money's worth from Sims3. I will possibly give the free trial of Sims4 a chance.
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    When the 1.69 upgrade came out, I bought everything on disk that I had originally bought as downloads. That amounted to 7 EP's and 5 SP's, plus a 2009 copy of the base game. Considering how much money I have invested in the game itself, and how much I've spent on successive upgrades to make my computer work well with it, I don't think even a 64 bit version would be enough to entice me to spend even more, to get the same game. I don't have very many problems with the game anymore, and most of them are relatively minor, so for me it's actually good enough.
    I'm sorry I have been out of Sims3 community since 2012. I own all the disks but when I just got set up again a couple of weeks ago I entered my disk codes into Origin because my new computer didn't have an optical drive. I had to only buy two digital versions since my codes didnt work on Origin due to being registered to another account in the household.

Anyway I don't understand yours and other comments about people looking for the old games on disk. Or why some people buy the game again on Steam. I apologize if I am derailing the discussion, but I am a bit lost here. I want to get a good re-start on Sims3. SHould I have just used my disks instead? My husband did get me an external optical drive for my new PC.

My daughter was a toddler when I started playing and now is 13 and she's waited her whole life to play Sims3! Well that's how she dramatically declares it anyway. :D I don't want to mess this up for us.

edited August 2018
    @SummerSong86 You’ll be fine, no worries ;) It’s just that some of us rather don’t play through Origin but that’s a matter of preference. I’m glad you’re doing well after years of bad luck apparently and I hope you’ll pick up and enjoy the game again!
    5JZ57S6.png
    Hello @SummerSong86 and welcome back to TS3 :) You are not disrupting this thread. There are lots of people here more than happy to help you get back into the game.

EA no longer supports disk users. The last known good patch for these users is version 1.67. There is another group of users who use digital downloads from Steam. They are also on version 1.67. What these two groups have in common is a wish to avoid playing via Origin. All the other players use Origin which is supported and uses version 1.69. You have joined this group and you will find your disks no longer work. This should not be a problem unless at a later date you decide you want to play the disk version.

Many of us here have stayed with TS3 because we did not like what was done to the series with the launch of TS4. So we are firmly entrenches in playing TS3. Being nosey I just wanted to know if anything might tempt my fellow simmers away. Quite a few have said what you did that they still have plenty of content still to explore. At some point I suggest you watch some TS4 YouTube videos to help you decide if TS4 is something you want to try. Some players play both games quite happily. You would appear to have a pc capable of dealing with both. The lag for TS3 might be down to your graphics settings. It might be worth talking to the tech section about it.

I am so sorry to hear that you and your family have had such a tough time. Life can be a pig sometimes. I have a close family member who suffers with severe migraines and regularly loses his speech as a result. So you have my sympathy and best wishes that you recover your speech. In the meantime I hope you really enjoy rediscovering TS3. If you use store content new stuff was being issued right up to 2014. Help for mods can be found in the Tech section and there are loads of players using cc who, no doubt, will be delighted to help you.

Once again welcome back.

Betty

Sim enim est vita
    Thank you @JoAnne65 and @Bettyboop55 for the welcome and the reorientation help.

Now we have two simmers in the family, so there's always going to be something going on in the Sims 3 worlds on my new PC, even if I myself get bogged down with some real world responsibilities from time to time.

It's so funny to see my daughter playing. Even though she was at my side as a toddler when I created CC for Sims 2 (I was an active contributor for several years on the MTS2 community) and was my "co-pilot" in testing worlds for CAW artists for Sims3, actually playing out the life of a sim for herself is all new to her. She had a few limited experiences when she was about 8, but she mismanaged her sims and got so upset that she quit.

I just could not convince her it was a bad idea to start out filling a house with cats and fairies and with free will. So of course they ran amok! :o But now she is a little older and wiser and having a lot of fun. Her reactions to the shenanigans of her sims are priceless! She was just complaining that her sim forgot to pay her bills and the Repo man had the nerve to hit on her and ask her for a date after repossessing her toilet! :D My daughter, if she were a sim, would have the Dramatic trait, so she gave me an entertaining account of her sim's misadventures with financial mismanagement. :D

It is so much fun talking about Sims 3 with her. She now understands that weird urge to click real people's noses a few clicks up or down, or widen or narrow a jaw. Or the feeling of amazement when you go out in public and see someone who looks uncannily like a Sim in your game! Or the crazy wish to point a mouse at one's furniture or clothes and change it to any color a girl could wish for!

I think the only thing that could cause us to abandon Sims3 at this point is some technical issue that renders the game unplayable.

I even have an old 2004 Compaq laptop that I bought when my daughter was an infant and it has all of the Sims1 disks loaded onto it. I have the game all set up, I even tracked down old CC accounts and added them in and played Sims1 a few years ago. I never did get to move into one of the Making Magic towns so that's still on my bucket list! But I can't say I find Sims 1 immersive anymore. It is comical, yes. I appreciate that about it. It did have charm.

I would love also to pull all my old Sims 2 files off of my old desktop and return to playing Sims2 again someday, because I do remember that game as being immersive and the relationships being a lot of fun. But I remember there was some sort of controversy about the DRM software destroying people's computers. I would need to research that. For now I just want to enjoy Sims 3 again. I love the open world, and the ability to drive or ride a bike and see all of the beautiful scenery. It sounds like I would be sorely missing that if I were to go to Sims 4 exclusively.

I enjoyed Sims 3 gardening and wow, I was really astonished and happy to see a tractor and a chicken coop added to the store. I had found that I still had sim points in my account and my husband let me purchase around $80 worth of points so I could buy more things and I am still finding things I have yet to buy! Wow.

As for lag, mostly where we notice it is in build mode, when trying to recolor objects. Then the cursor lags horribly and there can be massive delays in reacting to mouse input. Gameplay hasn't been too bad, thankfully. This PC is supposedly capable of handling VR gaming. So I was surprised to encounter any slowdowns of any kind. I'll go check out the tech info. One thing we have now, that we didn't when I was last actively simming are the You Tube resources. I do still prefer written information. I process that better than audible information.
    @SummerSong86 Love your post, happy simming! As for the lag in CAS, I recognize that. One of the things I never do to avoid it a little is saving recoloured patterns because it demands extra loading time when you do.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @SummerSong86 What a lovely story! I have fond memories of my son sitting on my lap when I played TS2. When he was a little older he tried TS3 for a while but soon went on to other games.
    I recently got the Tractor and Grandpa's Grove and am having a blast with them! I check the This thread every day so I can get the cheapest prices on the few Store items/sets that I want. You should check it out so you can make the most of your simpoints.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    No, not now that I have a really good computer with lots of room. When I used a laptop, I took a break from TS3, because I also wanted to play TS4 and a couple of other games. Also, running TS3 on that laptop sounded like a struggle. I love TS3 and still haven't tried a lot of stuff out yet or been to every world. Plus, I'm feeling attached to some of the premade Sims. So, even if I play other iterations and games, TS3 sits on my computer now and is going nowhere :)

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Mikezumi wrote: »
    @SummerSong86 What a lovely story! I have fond memories of my son sitting on my lap when I played TS2. When he was a little older he tried TS3 for a while but soon went on to other games.
    I recently got the Tractor and Grandpa's Grove and am having a blast with them! I check the This thread every day so I can get the cheapest prices on the few Store items/sets that I want. You should check it out so you can make the most of your simpoints.

Thank you for the link to those deal listings. I have to admit I got quite sad reading the little discussion people were having about how EA has abandoned a lot of support for TS3 in terms of even simple responses to inquiries or needed fixes. Money is money and really, TS3 is still so resource intensive, it's still a viable game for present gaming systems. In fact, it's kind of necessary to have an updated computer to run it comfortably, if my comparison of the game running on my 2011 MacBook Pro vs my 2018 VR Capable Tower PC is anything to go by. I would think EA would go ahead and continue to push TS3. They no longer need to develop heavily for it, just support what's already there and continue raking in the simoleons.

They could easily maintain the past pricing structure or a slight discount and sell to a whole new generation of Sim players like my daughter. But how many people will invest in the game that lacks support? lol...well judging from the expressions of dismay over unresolved bugs for Sims 4, perhaps they might, anyway.

I've been looking at the comments on Sims 4 and saw one YouTube video so far. Wow, there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for it. Now I feel I just have to fire up my 48 hour free trial and see if it's as bad as some people say. One of my old TS3 friends @Writin_Reg seems to be playing it. I lost touch with my other old friends (due to my illness) but from what I remember of old correspondence, it sounds like they never moved on to TS3 other than a short trial.

And @JoAnne65 thank you for the tip! I used to know that and forgot it...one of many little facts about this game that I've forgotten over the years I was away.

@SummerSong86 When you try out the free trial, please keep in mind it's just the basegame and that really makes a huge difference for Sims 4. The game got much better over the years when they added content to it. My problem with that is that it costs a lot of money to buy it all and personally I'm not prepared to do that as long as I'm still having fun with Sims 3. If you like the basics, there are undoubtedly people in the TS4 section who'd like to advice you what packs are essential. Vampires made a big difference for me but not everyone is into supernaturals ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
    Nindigo wrote: »
    No, not now that I have a really good computer with lots of room. When I used a laptop, I took a break from TS3, because I also wanted to play TS4 and a couple of other games. Also, running TS3 on that laptop sounded like a struggle. I love TS3 and still haven't tried a lot of stuff out yet or been to every world. Plus, I'm feeling attached to some of the premade Sims. So, even if I play other iterations and games, TS3 sits on my computer now and is going nowhere :)

Back around end of 2010, I was having to give up playing sims on my tower PC in my home office of my old house when other needs for that space took precedence. So against the advice of my group of Sim forum friends, I went and bought a MacBook Pro of all things, so I could continue to play Sim3 in my dining room. It was nicely spec'd and goodness I cringe when I think what I paid for it, even on a year-end Microcenter sale, but within a few short months it did prove to be a completely inadequate choice for the job, despite top of the line specs for that year and a memory upgrade installed by my husband back when you could still upgrade an Apple laptop.

I did play the Mac version of Sims 3 for awhile, but that was a bit bug riddled and missing features back then, so I got Bootcamp to run Windows 7.1 on it and I did okay until the EP that added boats. Offhand I can't remember which one that was. But once I started trying to get my sims on a boat, the game just became such a lagfest.

It didn't help that I was a store content addict since I quit CC cold turkey due to all the problems CC caused back then. But trying to run the full series on a laptop, I just can't imagine. Even a current gaming laptop isn't ideal because of heat dissipation issues some of them are having. I used to sit my MacBook on a special fan cooling platform and it would still get super hot. I had it running the Sims from disk the other day to get some files uploaded and it ran so alarmingly hot just the short time I took to package up some sims in my old game bin for upload to the Exchange (to be downloaded to my new PC). Even my old circa 2007 HP tower PC would get very hot. My current one gets merely warm, at most. Oh and everything on my old laptop was and still is so excruciatingly slow. I laugh and really don't think the Sims series as a whole was meant for the computers of the era in which it was created! I say that tongue-in-cheek, but it really is much more pleasant to play on an up-to-date system.

When my husband asked me if I would like a tower PC or a gaming laptop for my birthday, I didn't hesitate going for the tower this time, even though I do think gaming laptops are appealing for so many reasons. Fortunately, we got a great price on a nice tower gaming system thanks to Prime Day last month.
    @SummerSong86 it's lovely to have family playing the same game. My nephew introduced me to the sims series and I in turn bought his younger sister the TS3 base game. She now prefers TS4.

One of the biggest concerns mentioned in this thread is what happens when the new technology no longer supports TS3. Most of us would probably find workarounds and hopefully there will be tech support both here and other sim sites. Modern computers are geared for 64 bit games so we have discussed a theoretical upgrade to TS3. The preferred option is outlined by @igazor on page 3. We have not discussed possible pricing for such an upgrade but given that most of us have spent a small fortune already, some twice with the repurchase of disks, then there needs to be a substantial discount offered. It does, however remain a theoretical upgrade as EA seem entirely focused on TS4. You are right though, there must still be profit in TS3 otherwise the store would have gone a long time ago.

As for attracting a new generation we do see a steady number of new members some of whom are new to game as well. Then there are the returning TS4 players so I don't see the TS3 player group as constantly diminishing. One of the biggest things that stops players from moving on is the creative flexibility offered by TS3 with CASt, CAW, terrain tools and paints. We were given a lot with TS3 and as a consequence we know what we want and will not accept less.

Sim enim est vita
    Nindigo wrote: »

Lovely to hear :) There is so much to explore in terms of content. I do manage with a gaming laptop at the moment but I am considering a pc. The good thing is the ability to port saved games and saved sims between machines.

Sim enim est vita
    Well, I bought Sims 4 with the expansion pack Get Together that has clubs in it. The expansion pack is free on the BYO deal on Origin and I chose it based on comments in other threads on this site that it was the least bugged of the EPs so far. I had wanted to try the 48 hour free trial before buying, but found out I had to register for a subscription account to take advantage of that offer.

I decided to buy it anyway because...well...my name is Summer and I'm a simaholic. ;) I just had to try it for myself. Sims 4 with one EP is...okay. It's not as horrible as I was anticipating, but I lose a LOT of features going to Sims 4 and only 1 EP. I could see myself being in the mood to play it on occasion, but I most definitely do not want to give up swimming and college life and farming and open world exploring. It reminded me a bit of Sims2 but with better graphics. Although Sims 2 with custom content was gorgeous. I hated the camera controls and having them placed in the upper right corner of the screen, but maybe I just need to get used to it. I only played one Sim day and honestly just needed a break from it already.

For me, the most fun of Sims 4 was the Create A Sim part. I also liked that the time seems to be calibrated to go at a slower pace than I've been used to in Sims 3. I felt like I could get more done in a Sim day in Sims 4. There just wasn't that much I was interested in doing at this stage of getting familiar with the game. It wasn't the same huge draw that Sims 3 was. I had a million things going on in Sims2 and never meant to leave it when I did. But Sims 3 pulled me in and kept me from the first sim day. My daughter watched me play and was not particularly interested in Sims 4 from what she could see.

And now I go back to getting my Sim through her last day of the end of term at University. One more term to go! I never played this aspect of Sims 3 before, nor did I finish it out in Sims 2 for that matter. It's a lot of fun and keeps me harnessed to my pc when really I should have gotten a few more chores done than I actually did, today. Oops!

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2018
    I have TS3 and I have TS4 and honestly, TS4 live mode can be so boring and tedious to me....even the light build mode version has me so frustrated, that I just have to go to TS3. Not to mention TS3 has much more content variety that lets me be more creative with decorating and building.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @SummerSong86 If you're interested, there's an NRaas mod called Relativity that allows you to adjust how much time it takes to perform tasks. You can adjust the settings to whatever pace suits your gameplay style. All NRaas mods are easy to install and fairly straightforward to use.

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Relativity

Just a side note: I'm not sure whether you've addressed this already, but on a newer gaming desktop, you'll really need to cap your in-game frame rates. If you want to see your frames-per-second, bring up the cheats console (crtl-shift-C) and enter "fps on" without the quotes. A number will appear in the upper right corner, and it should never go above 60. Extremely high rates will make your graphics card work much harder than it should and can even burn out the card. Since TS3 has no native fps limiter, you'll need to do it manually; what tool you use depends on the card's manufacturer.