March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Alpha or Maxis Match?

Comments

• peachuniipeachunii Posts: 7 New Member
    I love alpha, maxis match is cool but realistic sims is my cup of tea :p
  • WolfannaHWolfannaH Posts: 2 New Member
    Maxis Match is like 100x easier to edit tbh. Plus, I enjoy the simple cutesy aesthetic when compared to the edgier aesthetic you get with Alpha. I too once was a strict alpha user, when it crashed my laptop and I wasn't able to play. I switched over and haven't had any problems since! :)
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited July 2018
    I don’t use CC. But, personally, when I see sims with alpha CC I often don’t think it looks good. I prefer the look of Maxis match.

I often see “makeovers” of premades where people will slap a tonne of alpha CC on them, and I generally think they look worse after.
  • SiminwithellieSiminwithellie Posts: 2 New Member
    I like a combination of both, if done right Alpha cc can fit really well into your game. Of course I also give the townies makeovers so they fit better with my style and have cc turned off for random so I have full control over who has cc and who doesn't. I also lean more towards Alpha because I feel like Maxis is for more cutesy story lines and game-play, and to be honest as a simmer of color, I want more choices in hair types and color then the game offers.
  • EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    Maxis Match for my game. I did do Alpha for awhile. There are a lot more options now for hiding the EA stuff, especially hair, so if I ever went Alpha again, I would do that (a friend on Tumblr made some hiders that prevent the EA hairs from even spawning in game so you won't see it on NPCs either beyond the originals, I think?). The main issue I had with Alpha was I'd have to change ALL the townies, otherwise it was too jarring.

But I also love MM. I've actually considered having two separate mod folders I can switch in and out for saves to go between MM and Alpha.

Maybe I need to insert that Road to El Dorado "Both, both is good" gif here. Ha ha.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,772 Member
    EIisabetta wrote: »
    Maxis Match for my game. I did do Alpha for awhile. There are a lot more options now for hiding the EA stuff, especially hair, so if I ever went Alpha again, I would do that (a friend on Tumblr made some hiders that prevent the EA hairs from even spawning in game so you won't see it on NPCs either beyond the originals, I think?). The main issue I had with Alpha was I'd have to change ALL the townies, otherwise it was too jarring.

But I also love MM. I've actually considered having two separate mod folders I can switch in and out for saves to go between MM and Alpha.

Maybe I need to insert that Road to El Dorado "Both, both is good" gif here. Ha ha.

You can use Sims 4 Studio to prevent Townies from using CC.
  • EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    Bananas_45 wrote: »

CC isn't the problem. It's all the base game hair that shows up when I'm using Alpha is the problem.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,772 Member
    Bananas_45 wrote: »

CC isn't the problem. It's all the base game hair that shows up when I'm using Alpha is the problem.

Ahh...I see. That is a pain.

• ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    I prefer MM. 99% of mine is MM and some things others might consider alpha but I think fits with my maxis match cc.
  • vanilleonsimsvanilleonsims Posts: 40 Member
    I use alpha, I'll occasionally use maxis furniture especially if it's just me playing the game for fun. I can see the appeal of using maxis match so have everything in the game match, but it honestly doesn't bother me too much how my sims are all decked out in alpha cc and random townies have base game clothing/hair. I also understand how it makes your game lag more but I have a pretty good computer and I merge my cc so it doesn't lag toooo much.
  • Emo-usagi2187Emo-usagi2187 Posts: 600 Member
    I prefer maxis match I have tired alpha hair very first time did not look my sims so I'm using mm cause work better like someone said look odd your sims look if came out ts3 in ts4 world..
    [img][/img]48163509141_6d283a2fcb.jpg06-30-19_1-14-16 AM by Jeannita Szalai, on Flickr
  • xxritaaaaaaaxxxxritaaaaaaaxx Posts: 31 Member
    I rly like the Maxis Match in TS4... TS4 skins, hair, etc, isn't supposed to look realistic itself, so it fits really well... Adding CC actually fits well too most of the times. But overall I do prefer Maxis w-w
  • valexxtinavalexxtina Posts: 66 Member
    I use maxis match, the only things that I have which are more alpha are eyelashes. I use MM because I think it fits better in the game than alpha. I like my sims to look in place with all the townies, and with MM I can use Maxis' stuff without makes it look "out off place".
  • LittleMsSamLittleMsSam Posts: 125 Member
    MM only for me. I love the S4 Style too much.
    ~~~ FIND OVER 150+ MODS ON MY OWN SITE https://lms-mods.com/ ~~~
  • KeplerKepler Posts: 11 New Member
    I'm mostly an Alpha user, but I do have a little bit of Maxis too. I prefer Alpha because it allows you to make your Sims look more realistic (and I don't mind consistency within the game's graphics), but I've been a little bit critical of it lately. I do respect all the CC creators and acknowledge their hard work, but most of the times, it seems like Alpha CC is created to make your Sims look pretty; for example, most realistic skin overlays blur wrinkles, which makes it hard to find Alpha overlays to put on your elder Sims that don't make them look like they have had Botox injected. Most of the times I've seen Alpha CC used only to make pretty, teen/YA Sims that look like models instead of using those options to make actual realistic stuff. Sorry for the long rant, I really needed to get this off my chest because there's a lot of wasted potential in Alpha CC that instead is used to make your Sims look like Barbie dolls.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Maxis match for me. I think the alpha stuff is gorgeous but I can't let it break my game genetics and careers that rely on accurate color reporting (like detectives) in order to use them. The trade-off isn't worth while to me.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • lolofrolololofrolo Posts: 29 Member
    I love alpha more
    since sims 2
  • ToughDondon2006ToughDondon2006 Posts: 9 New Member
    I am in love with maxis match especially with it on toddler sooo cute
  • KayosCatalystKayosCatalyst Posts: 313 Member
    maxis match all the way! I used to play alpha and i tried using it again recently when i got a more powerful laptop but i hate the way it clashes with the rest of the sims in the game, and i don't know about anyone else but i really don't feel like giving all the townies a makeover to fix that when I could just use mm XD
  • KaerralindKaerralind Posts: 8 New Member
    It feels kind of weird to have Sims 3 looking features in the Sims 4. I really like how S4 looks and as one that used to do more Alpha type things in S2 and S3 it's a really nice change.
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I don't use CC but I prefer the way Maxis match looks. Alpha looks too out of place and I like the thick, cartoony style of the Sims.
  • ninethnusantaraninethnusantara Posts: 3 New Member
    This is like discussions between vegetarian and non-vegetarian.
    I use alpha and personally don't really bother with the consistency in art styles.

I like to create a sim like Sasuke and naked russian with robber mask and a gun in his hand.
  • Madachan88Madachan88 Posts: 360 Member
    Aah well the big Alpha vs Maxis Match Question.

Really?

There's plenty of CC on boths sites from very good too very bad stuff. Why limiting yourself to just one style when can have both. I'm using both Alpha and Maxis Match in my game and keeping a good mix of both. Some of my sims look more alpha than the other, but never they're having looking out of place in my game.

The only things that I don't like are these ultra realistic skins and clothing with not texture. Because they're looking like cheap photoskinned stuff that everyone can make who uses Photoshop. There's no effort in importing just real-life photos and skinning then over maxis meshes.

• KhaliBKhaliB Posts: 1 New Member
    I have recently been mixing alpha cc and maxis match cc! I really like both styles for clothing but hair is a different story because since starting to actually use the ea hairs and maxis match hairs, mixing the alpha hairs does make my sims stand out a little too much for me. So, I just decided to get rid of my alpha hairs but keep the clothing, even if some of my sims are wearing alpha clothing and some are wearing maxis match, they will still look like they are apart of the same game if they all have the same type of hair (maxis match) at least to me.... Also i do use alpha skin tones on ALL of my sims. I just can not go all one way or the other on this because i do like sort of a realistic look to my sims, however i do not want supermodel looking sims with no personality! Does anyone else mix maxis match and alpha this way or am i the only weirdo with hybrid sims?? lol
  • NathanANathanA Posts: 39 Member
    Only use alpha for cute male hairs because all the maxis match male hairs are boring and too masculine for my sims.