Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your custom holidays

Comments

• Options
    a_niles06a_niles06 Posts: 3,019 Member
    edited June 2018
    AAAHHHH!!! Omg. I think I have everything sorted out. I'm SO EXCITED for this pack!!! If anyone is interested in seeing what I've planned out for my holidays/a year in the life of my Sims, you can find the breakdown under the spoiler. It's super long so I kept it in a spoiler for those who don't care/have been avoiding spoilers of what the traditions are. Anyway, I am so excited I can hardly contain it. Just 3 more days of work between me and some sweet, sweet Seasons time!!

So this is a rough estimate of how my Sims' years will play out. I haven't planned out all of the traditions yet - I want to see what all of the options are that other packs provide aside from the ones that come with Seasons and/or the base game that have been announced so far. But I'll share what I've come up with so far. They'll be subject to change at any point.

A few things to note:
    - My seasons will be 4 weeks long.
    - Birthdays will happen once a Sim year. (Ex: If a baby is born on the first day of Autumn, I will not age them up until the first day of the next Autumn. I'm going to leave aging off and manually age them every year. Haven't quite sorted out how I'm going to do adults yet since there are less age transitions for them than kids and if they have multiple kids I don't want them to age too fast. But overall my plan is to age them manually every year.)
    - My assumption is the weeks will run Sun-Sat so this schedule is based off of that type of seasonal schedule.
    - At first I wasn't sure I'd enjoy this but I'm really excited about the idea of having time to slow down my gameplay and really invest myself in my Sims. I feel like doing things this way will allow me more time to complete aspirations and other things I want to do in game instead of rushing to beat the aging clock. I may get into it and totally change my mind haha - I'm excited to see how it goes!!

Reflection Day
    - This will take the place of New Year's Eve.
    - It will take place on the 3rd Saturday of Winter.
    - It'll be a day for my Sims to look back on the year they've had and celebrate what they've accomplished as well as for them to countdown to the year ahead. Whether it be skill advancement, aspiration completion, milestones in the family (births, weddings, etc.), good grades, promotions, whatever else. They will use this day to relax and just spend time together as a family.
    - Traditions may include tell stories, drinking, countdown to midnight, party spirit

Resolution Day
    - This will take the place of New Year's Day.
    - It will take place on the last Sunday of Winter.
    - It'll be a day for making resolutions and starting the new year off right - a fresh start - a whole new Sim! They'll spend the day doing those things people ALWAYS resolve to do at the start of a new year.
    - Traditions may include make resolution, cleaning, exercising

Love Day
    - This will take the place of Valentine's Day.
    - It will take place on the second Thursday of Spring.
    - It'll be a day for romance and flirting. Sims will spend the day with their other half or trying to woo someone into becoming their other half. the day will include lots of romance and maybe a little too much PDA!
    - Traditions may include romantic spirit, go on a date, give flowers, watch romantic tv

St. Gnome's Day
    - This will take the place of St. Patrick's Day.
    - It will take place on the third Friday of Spring.
    - It'll be a day for mischief, pranks and overall immature behavior. It'll involve holiday gnomes and all kinds of wacky Sim antics!
    - Traditions may include mischief spirit, drinking, holiday gnomes, streaking, party spirit

Bunny Hop Day
    - This will take the place of Easter.
    - It will take place on the last Sunday of Spring.
    - It'll be a day to enjoy the sweeter things in life. Kids will anxiously await the arrival of the Flower Bunny while moms and dads bake some goodies in the kitchen. The kids will set out on an egg hunt and the day will end with a grand meal as a family.
    - Traditions may include Flower Bunny, egg hunt, grand meal, baking

Summer Vacation
    - This is just for the kids! It'll be a week off of school in the Summer. Adults may take time off as well if a vacation is planned.
    - It will take place over the second week of Summer.
    - It'll be a week for kids to enjoy a break from school and get some fresh air in the warm sunshine! Families may plan a vacation together. Outdoor activities are a must!
    - Traditions may include go on a vacation or travel, water fun

Simdependence Day
    - This will take the place of Independence Day/4th of July.
    - It will take place on the second Saturday of Summer.
    - It'll be a day for Sims to celebrate the day their world was founded! They will celebrate with the family and enjoy outdoor activities and grill some yummy outdoor food!
    - Traditions may include bar-b-que, water fun, drinking, fireworks (I believe I saw that will be an option if you have whatever pack introduced fireworks)

Spooky Day
    - This will take the place of Halloween.
    - It will take place on the second Friday of Autumn.
    - It'll be a day for Sims to embrace their dark side! Sims will put on their best costumes and enjoy some trick or treating and spooky activities. There may be some spooky visitors coming by as well!
    - Traditions may include spooky spirit, trick or treat, wear costumes

Harvest Day
    - This will take the place of Thanksgiving.
    - It will take place on the third Thursday of Autumn.
    - It'll be a day for Sims to share what they're thankful for! A grand meal will be served with a side of some traditional sports tv.
    - Traditions may include grand meal, invite guests, sports TV, thankful spirit

Winter Vacation
    - Another break for the kids! Again, adults may also take time off if a vacation is planned.
    - It will start on the second Friday of Winter and end on the last Sunday of Winter.
    - In total, kids will have a week and 3 days off. I tried to mimic what a Christmas/Winter break would be where I live.
    - It'll be a time when kids can enjoy the winter holidays and get another much needed break from school! Families can plan a vacation to Selvadorada to escape the winter blues, or they can take a nice relaxing trip to Granite Falls for a winter cabin getaway.
    - Traditions may include take a vacation or travel, decorate

Snowflake Day Eve
    - This will take the place of Christmas Eve.
    - It will take place on the second Friday of Winter.
    - It'll be a day for Sims to prepare for Snowflake Day! Kids will try to sneak a peek at Father Winter when he comes to deliver their gifts. Mom and dad will spend the day cooking and preparing for the Snowflake Day dinner! And don't forget to finish getting those holiday decorations hung!
    - Traditions may include festive spirit, Father Winter, decorate

Snowflake Day
    - This will take the place of Christmas Day.
    - It will take place on the second Saturday of Winter.
    - It'll be a day for all things fun! Kids will run down the stairs to open their presents while mom and dad pat each other on the back for a job well done. The family will make sure to take time to play outside and create some Snow Pals and Snow Angels! The day will end with a grand meal that's hard to beat!
    - Traditions may include open presents, grand meal, festive spirit, give gifts
    Post edited by a_niles06 on
    ezgif_com_resize.gif

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I'll make Happy Rusev Day. Exercise, eat, and watch sports.
  • Options
    erimurpheyerimurphey Posts: 173 Member
    @a_niles06 I just love your year! Those are so creative.

I think I'll make my birthday "Goddess Day." It will include bbq, presents, traveling, artistic spirit, and appreciating an object (which will of course be a photo of my simself.)
    Sul Sul!

Origin i.d.: erimurphey
  • Options
    fineangelfineangel Posts: 22 Member
    @simgirl1010 Oops, no I didn't! Thanks.
  • Options
    elemmeleelemmele Posts: 689 Member
    I'm curious to see just what other traditions are going to be coming with other packs. I was under the impression we'd be getting a few, but after watching someone stream with all the packs the only "new" one I really noticed was Fireworks? I hope I'm wrong though~ And I very well could have just misunderstood, haha!~

I'm still loving all the holidays centered around us as our Sims' creators! I think I finally settled on calling mine something like "Creatorfest" -- to me it sounds like a convention or something lol~ The traditions will include being thankful, but also airing grievances because, hey, I want to try to make their little virtual lives better!

Aghhhh why can't it just be tomorrow night already! TT0TT
    de4l47l-8be82ab0-e824-47d8-b89d-e4b317e1e4e7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGE4NDlmM2ItMjBlZC00MzNkLWJkZjQtMzY5YzY0MGVhYzFmXC9kZTRsNDdsLThiZTgyYWIwLWU4MjQtNDdkOC1iODlkLWU0YjMxN2UxZTRlNy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mOg5OTH8yLLAb8Swus1BlunSLcRGY3-w29wazeBAu18
  • Options
    erimurphey wrote: »
    @a_niles06 I just love your year! Those are so creative.

I think I'll make my birthday "Goddess Day." It will include bbq, presents, traveling, artistic spirit, and appreciating an object (which will of course be a photo of my simself.)

@erimurphey Thank you!!! I put a lot of thought and planning into them - maybe too much :lol: Needed to do something to pass the time!!
    ezgif_com_resize.gif

• Options
    LemDoodle wrote: »
    I'm curious to see just what other traditions are going to be coming with other packs. I was under the impression we'd be getting a few, but after watching someone stream with all the packs the only "new" one I really noticed was Fireworks? I hope I'm wrong though~ And I very well could have just misunderstood, haha!~

I'm still loving all the holidays centered around us as our Sims' creators! I think I finally settled on calling mine something like "Creatorfest" -- to me it sounds like a convention or something lol~ The traditions will include being thankful, but also airing grievances because, hey, I want to try to make their little virtual lives better!

I think I heard (maybe in the stream or read it somewhere--info overload) that they think they have added all that they may need. The exception was fireworks coming with CL. But I imagine that if they developed something that should be part of a holiday celebration, they will add it. The list of ways to celebrate is pretty big and I can't think of anything else to add that isn't there. Can you?
  • Options
    Sweet_ItalySweet_Italy Posts: 898 Member
    @a_niles06 i think we gave very similar goals with hoq to use the calendar/holiday system. Ill also use 4 week seasons, and i hope itll help me to really enjoy the time with my sims.
    In fact, how ill be setting up my holidays is similar to yours too!

Im totally borrowing your St.Gnomes Day, and Reflection/Resolution days. Though i might put St.Gnomes day in Fall, i have a lot of other spring holidays planned, and i might put the Reflection/Resolution days at the last day of winter/first day of spring. I play rotationally so i think if i rotate at the 1st day of spring, a new years holiday is a good way to mark the switch to a new family.

Ill be adding a SportsBowl Sunday, which will be on the 2nd Sunday of spring. Sims will BBQ, drink and watch Sports tv.

FreezerPalooza will be a music/arts/film festival with drinking, outdoor movies and music performances, bubble blower and fire pit. This will be on the 2nd Thursday of summer.

And Fall im adding Llama day, which will have sims "appreciate" a llama statue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Twitch: Sweet_Italy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gallery: Sweet_Italy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Check out my Showcase Thread!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    @Sweet_Italy Sounds awesome!! Yes please feel free to borrow whatever you like - glad that you enjoyed some of my ideas also!!

I really tried to mimic what the holidays and a typical year is like for me IRL so that inspired much of why I put things where I did. But I think that’s what makes this whole thing so amazing - you can put it wherever you want and totallly customize your own year!!
    ezgif_com_resize.gif

• Options
    elemmeleelemmele Posts: 689 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    LemDoodle wrote: »

I think I heard (maybe in the stream or read it somewhere--info overload) that they think they have added all that they may need. The exception was fireworks coming with CL. But I imagine that if they developed something that should be part of a holiday celebration, they will add it. The list of ways to celebrate is pretty big and I can't think of anything else to add that isn't there. Can you?

Oh no, don't get me wrong! There are tons of traditions to choose from and I'm excited to use them! Anything I could think of is just super specific things which could easily fall under one of the current traditions. Like I said, I'm pleased with what they're giving us :) I was just curious what else there might be that we haven't seen yet!~
    de4l47l-8be82ab0-e824-47d8-b89d-e4b317e1e4e7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGE4NDlmM2ItMjBlZC00MzNkLWJkZjQtMzY5YzY0MGVhYzFmXC9kZTRsNDdsLThiZTgyYWIwLWU4MjQtNDdkOC1iODlkLWU0YjMxN2UxZTRlNy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mOg5OTH8yLLAb8Swus1BlunSLcRGY3-w29wazeBAu18
  • Options
    BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    edited June 2018
    Edit: I have a plan now:

~Spring~

Love Day
    Spring Equinox (Easter)

~Summer~

Gnome Appreciation Day
    Summer Solstice (4th of July-esque)

~Fall~

Spooky Day
    Fall Equinox (Thanksgiving/Remembrance Day)

~Winter~

New Years Eve
    Winter Solstice (Christmas)
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • Options
    CreampuffcatCreampuffcat Posts: 162 Member
    New Years, Winterfest, Spooky Day, Love day, (something similar to Harvestfest but without the turkey in it) and my favourite of all time: Baking day. Dedicated to my obsessive baking of course.
  • Options
    jaymancrazjaymancraz Posts: 92 Member
    edited June 2018
    I am SO ready for Kwanzaa!! Literally every part... My traditions will include

1) lighting the Kinara, of course.
    2) Remembrance, to honor the ancestors
    3) Give Gifts, known as Zawadi
    4) Invites Guests
    5) Grand meal

Its gonna be like real Kwanzaa!! Im even going to plant a flower and have the eldest sim pour Tambiko or libation (aka water it) in honor the ancestors while everyone is over. So excited :) Heres my decoration preperation!

2s653wg.jpg
  • Options
    TheWomanMonsterTheWomanMonster Posts: 49 Member
    I want to make solstice and equinox holidays when the seasons change (some others mentioned that too and I'd love to see how they set theirs up!)

And Festivus! Because there is an airing of grievances tradition so I pretty much have to.

I'll also be playing with some of the premade ones to get a feel for all the wacky stuff I'm sure is hiding.
  • Options
    Kali_DurgaKali_Durga Posts: 197 Member
    edited June 2018
    i hope i can make something like Navaratri, they already did Diwali last year so i hope this pack bring us some new Hindu goodies :p:p
  • Options
    CreampuffcatCreampuffcat Posts: 162 Member
    Edit: I have a plan now:

~Spring~

Love Day
    Spring Equinox (Easter)

~Summer~

Gnome Appreciation Day
    Summer Solstice (4th of July-esque)

~Fall~

Spooky Day
    Fall Equinox (Thanksgiving/Remembrance Day)

~Winter~

New Years Eve
    Winter Solstice (Christmas)

Lol I'm gonna add Gnome Appreciation to my list now.
  • Options
    KoteykaKoteyka Posts: 537 Member
    edited June 2018
    @LemDoodle i watched a few videos of simmers that got seasons early, and none of them have any new traditions except for fireworks. They have all the packs, so... i guess thats the only one! I pretty happy with that though. Fireworks is the main thing i was hoping for :)
  • Options
    I plan on dressing like a giant gnome and kicking the little gnomes bottoms.
  • Options
    KityyKatty519KityyKatty519 Posts: 24 Member
    I am going to create a spring cleaning day and annoy my sims children. Haha.
  • Options
    ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    zensluv wrote: »
    Valentine's Day. But maybe we'll call it Woohoo Day, or Day of the Woohoo. ;)

Also New Years Day - perfect time to pick your next Aspiration.

How about celebrate Fasting Day, right before Feast Day. Really appreciate grandma's gourmet cooking skill level 9.

Yes yes and YES! lol such great ideas! :smiley:
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Cynel1Cynel1 Posts: 1,389 Member
    so is anyone else planing there own version of Día de Muertos? (day of the dead)
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Cynel1 wrote: »
    so is anyone else planing there own version of Día de Muertos? (day of the dead)

I would if there were zombies in the game.
  • Options
    Cynel1Cynel1 Posts: 1,389 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    Cynel1 wrote: »

I would if there were zombies in the game.

Why not ghosts?
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I might add a vampire or alien holiday to my game. I'm not sure how those traditions would work, though...
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    citysimmer wrote: »
    I might add a vampire or alien holiday to my game. I'm not sure how those traditions would work, though...

I think holidays are world wide but events are only for households. So, you could set up an alien event that only they would celebrate.