Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your custom holidays

Comments

• ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    I just made a 'Big Freeze' charity event. Invite guests and a Polar Bear Plunge. After the event my Sim donates to charity.

I know they can't raise money, but its a feel-good holiday to have :smiley:
    giphy.gif
  • orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member
    Your seasons already seem so much more creative than anything I've thought of!

Mostly I just want all the standard holidays (Harvest Fest, Winter Fest, Love Day, whatever "Easter" holiday there is with the bunny and eggs). I'll also add a Halloween if it's not standard, though I'll probably call it Spooky Day to keep with the Sim Theme. :D

The only other Holiday I know I'll add is an Independence Day of some kind in summer. I haven't thought of a sim name for it yet! In America, for anyone who doesn't know, we have Independence Day on the 4th of July. We grill food, go swimming, general summer fun activities. Also, fireworks! Which I will finally use from City Living. :)
    Your seasons already seem so much more creative than anything I've thought of!

Mostly I just want all the standard holidays (Harvest Fest, Winter Fest, Love Day, whatever "Easter" holiday there is with the bunny and eggs). I'll also add a Halloween if it's not standard, though I'll probably call it Spooky Day to keep with the Sim Theme. :D

The only other Holiday I know I'll add is an Independence Day of some kind in summer. I haven't thought of a sim name for it yet! In America, for anyone who doesn't know, we have Independence Day on the 4th of July. We grill food, go swimming, general summer fun activities. Also, fireworks! Which I will finally use from City Living. :)

I called my Independance Day “Simdependance Day”
  • QuillWriterQuillWriter Posts: 67 Member
    Well, after creating Frightmare Day, and Simstivus, I created Simtober Fest and had my Sim celebrate that first. I picked the traits Drinking, Arts & Music Spirit, Invite Guests, Party Spirit, and BBQ/Grilling. I was tempted to pick Grand Meal, but I figured grilling made more sense, as my Sim could make hot dogs and pretend they were bratwurst.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    So... Almost a week after the release of Seasons, would anyone like to share what their calendar looks like now? Were you able to create all the holidays you had envisioned? Has anything changed about your plans?

I kept the premade holidays, but renamed Winterfest to Christmas and moved Love Day to a Saturday because of the romance festival. I also created All Hags' Eve on the first Saturday of Autumn (my seasons last two weeks) and Easter sometime in Spring. This means my 56-day calender currently has six holidays, with summer being the only season that doesn't have any. My plans for an Alien Day could not be realised because I couldn't find any traditions related to aliens in particular.
  • lovebypondsidelovebypondside Posts: 1,364 Member
    With regard to Seasons on the whole, I'm really loving it. I have my seasons set to 28 days, and I started in Summer (since it's always been summer), so I'm taking in the seasons very slowly. So far, I really like the random surprise holidays.

However - I'm finding the selection of traditions, decoration themes, and thumbnail options for holiday creation a little lacking for everything I'd like to do.

I know that harping on thumbnail options might be nit-picky, but I didn't want to have to repeat thumbnails for holidays, or use thumbnails that don't match the theme of the holiday.

I really love the decorations and that the neighbors houses are similarly decorated automatically. My current sim lives in San Myshuno (the Old Salt House lot) and I placed a restaurant from the gallery next door to replace Waterside Warble - and I was delighted to see that the restaurant spawned decorations as well.

It'd be great, though, if we could make a custom decoration theme for each holiday. I used the "New Years Eve" theme for my Mardis Gras holiday and the decorations aren't as colorful as what I'd pick for Mardis Gras, and I don't think the other themes would work either - but I could definitely choose a few of the existing everyday decoration options to make it look more in line with what I'd like to see. I think there are enough decorations, just not enough themes.

Also, I'd like to see sims that are out in the world participating in the traditions. I added the "wear costumes" tradition for Mardis Gras and only my sim dressed up. I sent him all over the world that day and didn't see any other sims in costume until I threw a costume party.

I'm not at home, or I'd share my calendar, but here's what I've created (that I can remember of the top of my head) :

Summer
    Pride Day - Invite guests, BBQ, Drinking, Party Spirit, Decorate
    Boom Day (Independence Day) - Invite guests, BBQ, Fireworks, Party Spirit, Drinking
    Mardis Gras - Art & Music Spirit, Party Spirit, Drinking, Wear Costumes, Decorate
    Last day of Summer - Water fun, invite guests, bonfire, BBQ, streaking

Autumn
    Day of the Dead - Spooky spirit, Wear costumes, Decorate, Rememberance, Art & Music spirit
    Bonfire Night - Bonfire, Tell Stories, Invite Guests, BBQ

Winter
    Solstice - Light candles, Grand meal, Invite guests, Decorate

Spring
    Lucky Night (St. Patricks) - Drinking, Party Spirit, Streaking, Fighting, Decorate
    Honey Day - Baking, Invite guests, Grand meal, Give gifts, Decorate
    Oscar Night - Invite guests, watch Romantic TV (since only options are Sports & Romance), Party Spirit

Origin ID: byscreenside
    Twitter: @byscreenside
    Youtube: YT

• aria2345aria2345 Posts: 33 Member
    I just got seasons, but I added in a 'Simsdependance Day' that's basically July 4th. lol
    Check out my Legacy Blog! I'm not much of a writer- but I think I'm funny. Though- humor is subjective. :)
    viridivalues.weebly.com
  • PinkPaws66PinkPaws66 Posts: 755 Member
    There are already threads about this. Lol. I hope they will see that many people want more choices, and add more later.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    With regard to Seasons on the whole, I'm really loving it. I have my seasons set to 28 days, and I started in Summer (since it's always been summer), so I'm taking in the seasons very slowly. So far, I really like the random surprise holidays.

However - I'm finding the selection of traditions, decoration themes, and thumbnail options for holiday creation a little lacking for everything I'd like to do.

I know that harping on thumbnail options might be nit-picky, but I didn't want to have to repeat thumbnails for holidays, or use thumbnails that don't match the theme of the holiday.

I really love the decorations and that the neighbors houses are similarly decorated automatically. My current sim lives in San Myshuno (the Old Salt House lot) and I placed a restaurant from the gallery next door to replace Waterside Warble - and I was delighted to see that the restaurant spawned decorations as well.

It'd be great, though, if we could make a custom decoration theme for each holiday. I used the "New Years Eve" theme for my Mardis Gras holiday and the decorations aren't as colorful as what I'd pick for Mardis Gras, and I don't think the other themes would work either - but I could definitely choose a few of the existing everyday decoration options to make it look more in line with what I'd like to see. I think there are enough decorations, just not enough themes.

Also, I'd like to see sims that are out in the world participating in the traditions. I added the "wear costumes" tradition for Mardis Gras and only my sim dressed up. I sent him all over the world that day and didn't see any other sims in costume until I threw a costume party.

I'm not at home, or I'd share my calendar, but here's what I've created (that I can remember of the top of my head) :

Summer
    Boom Day (Independence Day) - Invite guests, BBQ, Fireworks, Party Spirit, Drinking
    Mardis Gras - Art & Music Spirit, Party Spirit, Drinking, Wear Costumes, Decorate

Autumn
    Day of the Dead - Spooky spirit, Wear costumes, Decorate, Rememberance, Art & Music spirit

Winter

Spring
    Lucky Night (St. Patricks) - Drinking, Party Spirit, Streaking, Fighting, Decorate
    Oscar Night - Invite guests, watch Romantic TV (since only options are Sports & Romance), Party Spirit
    I don't like remembrance a ton of ghosts walked past my sims house when I added that in a holiday.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I am not very original, I picked most of World of Warcraft seasonal events and turned them into holidays.
  • JessicthulhuJessicthulhu Posts: 315 Member
    Spring:

Drinking Day (ST. Patty's Day) - Drinking, Party Spirit, Art and Music Spirit
    Bunny Day (Easter) - Egg Hunt, Flower Bunny, Give Flowers, Decorate
    Mischief Day (April Fools) - Mischief Spirit, Streaking
    Earth Day - Gardening, Give Flowers, Cleaning

Summer:

Summer Festival - Art and Music Spirit, Streaking, Water Fun, Gardening
    Freedom Day (Independence Day) - Fireworks, Party Spirit, Barbecue, Water Fun
    Family Day (To Replace Mother/Fathers day) - Tell Stories, Give Gifts, Give Flowers, Baking

Fall:
    Labor Day: Fireworks, Sports TV, Go on Vacation/Travel
    Halloween: Wear Costumes, Spooky Spirit, Trick or Treat, Decorate
    Harvestfest: Decorate, Holiday Gnomes, Grand Meal, Thankful Spirit, Sports TV

Winter:

Love Day (Moved to Winter to mimick valentines day): Go on Date, Give Flowers, Romantic Spirit, Give Gifts, Decorate
    Winterfest (Xmas): Decorate, Father Winter, Open Gifts, Festive Spirit, Festive Lighting
    New Years Eve: Decorate, Party Spirit, Make Resolution, Count down to Midnight

I am looking for 1 more holiday in Summer, Fall, and Winter.
    Anyone got ideas for me? I could do Day of the Dead in fall, but feel as though it would be too close to Halloween. :\
  • Garret11111Garret11111 Posts: 38 Member
    I created a Gay Pride Day which happens every summer cause in real life gay pride month happens in June. Its one of my favorite holidays in the game.

• imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    Just bought expansion! These are the holidays I'm planning on making:

Crazy Day: Mischief, Father Winter, Costumes, the Bunny and Streaking

Frustration Day: Grand Meal, Fasting, Gnomes, Grievences, Drinking

Kids Day: Egg Hunt, Trick or Treat, Gnomes, Decorate, Party Spirit

Daredevil Day: Polar Bear Plunge, Travel, Streak, Drink, Party Spirit

And Halloween, of course!
  • FosoSamFosoSam Posts: 637 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    I've been giving this a lot of thought, perhaps too much (while overtired last night I had a philosophical debate with myself over the moral implications of setting holidays for my sims but not allowing them the day off work) and finally I've figured it out:

Spring
    - Walpurgisnacht: eggs and bonfires welcome, combining the vernal equinox and the restarting of life within nature with other elements, such as the influence of pancake day; sims have a traditional meal of pancakes. Bob's presence is optional.

- Love day: like Valentine's, but without the emphasis on romantic love - a day to celebrate all types of love, with whoever sims love, and in whatever way they love them - think a combination of Valentine's crossed with a celebration of family and friends.

Summer
    - SimNation day: celebrating the founding of sim nation. However long ago it was and however it happened, it happened on this day. A day for sims to celebrate being sims.

- Midsummer BBQ: marking the longest and hottest day of the year with BBQing and inviting people round. Basically a celebration of the summer solstice combined with an Australian influence of BBQing food.

Autumn
    - Equinox harvest: a combination of the autumn equinox and harvestfest.

- Hallowe'en: falling exactly opposite Walpurgisnacht in the calendar, so as to represent the balance within nature of live and death, Hallowe'en marks the death of somethings in nature, combined with the concepts of day of the dead and spooky day. Hallowe'en parties will be happening!

Winter
    - Midwinter/Christmas: basically, it's Christmas, combined with the winter solstice

- New year: the main objective is to count down to midnight, probably at a party. Got too complicated trying to decide whether new year's eve and new year's day should both be holidays so there's just the one new year holiday.

You've got yourself your own Sims Pagan Wheel of the Year right there
    q6goV2s.png
    Officially blocked by @SimsVIP on Twitter!
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I was thinking of a nation wide celebration like "Toilet's Day", having sims honor this effective object. Maybe adding a huuuuuge toilet as a sculpture in parks, making up some old history how the first toilet arrived my worlds long ago.
    It might be a good thing that I'm currently out of town, far away from my gaming computer. I'll hopefully come up with some metter celebration idea before returning back home :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    imhappy wrote: »
    Just bought expansion! These are the holidays I'm planning on making:

Crazy Day: Mischief, Father Winter, Costumes, the Bunny and Streaking

Frustration Day: Grand Meal, Fasting, Gnomes, Grievences, Drinking

Kids Day: Egg Hunt, Trick or Treat, Gnomes, Decorate, Party Spirit

Daredevil Day: Polar Bear Plunge, Travel, Streak, Drink, Party Spirit

And Halloween, of course!
    What does this do exactly Polar Bear Plunge?

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    So... Almost a week after the release of Seasons, would anyone like to share what their calendar looks like now? Were you able to create all the holidays you had envisioned? Has anything changed about your plans?

I set seasons length to 28 days then discovered I had to delete all premade holidays otherwise Winterfest was going to happen in summer. The random holidays are a nice touch though I can see them getting old fast.

I'm guessing holidays only work well if your sim has everything they need to celebrate on their lot. I was going to create a summer holiday with BBQ and water fun but it struck me that I'd only need to send a sim to a park on their own to celebrate. I guess it would work better if the sim had a house with a pool and a grill and planned a house party to happen on the day.

If I'm wrong, please enlighten me.

• Jordyn78988Jordyn78988 Posts: 421 Member

Summer

Autumn

Winter

Spring

Cool holidays! And yeah, I agree with the traditions, thumbnails and custom decoration things completely! We really need more options for customization. Not that I don't appreciate what we have, but it'd be cool if we could have more :)
    I really like your holidays and their names @Jessicthulhu :)
    a_niles06 wrote: »
    AAAHHHH!!! Omg. I think I have everything sorted out. I'm SO EXCITED for this pack!!! If anyone is interested in seeing what I've planned out for my holidays/a year in the life of my Sims, you can find the breakdown under the spoiler. It's super long so I kept it in a spoiler for those who don't care/have been avoiding spoilers of what the traditions are. Anyway, I am so excited I can hardly contain it. Just 3 more days of work between me and some sweet, sweet Seasons time!!

So this is a rough estimate of how my Sims' years will play out. I haven't planned out all of the traditions yet - I want to see what all of the options are that other packs provide aside from the ones that come with Seasons and/or the base game that have been announced so far. But I'll share what I've come up with so far. They'll be subject to change at any point.

A few things to note:
    - My seasons will be 4 weeks long.
    - Birthdays will happen once a Sim year. (Ex: If a baby is born on the first day of Autumn, I will not age them up until the first day of the next Autumn. I'm going to leave aging off and manually age them every year. Haven't quite sorted out how I'm going to do adults yet since there are less age transitions for them than kids and if they have multiple kids I don't want them to age too fast. But overall my plan is to age them manually every year.)
    - My assumption is the weeks will run Sun-Sat so this schedule is based off of that type of seasonal schedule.
    - At first I wasn't sure I'd enjoy this but I'm really excited about the idea of having time to slow down my gameplay and really invest myself in my Sims. I feel like doing things this way will allow me more time to complete aspirations and other things I want to do in game instead of rushing to beat the aging clock. I may get into it and totally change my mind haha - I'm excited to see how it goes!!

Reflection Day
    - This will take the place of New Year's Eve.
    - It will take place on the 3rd Saturday of Winter.
    - It'll be a day for my Sims to look back on the year they've had and celebrate what they've accomplished as well as for them to countdown to the year ahead. Whether it be skill advancement, aspiration completion, milestones in the family (births, weddings, etc.), good grades, promotions, whatever else. They will use this day to relax and just spend time together as a family.
    - Traditions may include tell stories, drinking, countdown to midnight, party spirit

Resolution Day
    - This will take the place of New Year's Day.
    - It will take place on the last Sunday of Winter.
    - It'll be a day for making resolutions and starting the new year off right - a fresh start - a whole new Sim! They'll spend the day doing those things people ALWAYS resolve to do at the start of a new year.
    - Traditions may include make resolution, cleaning, exercising

Love Day
    - This will take the place of Valentine's Day.
    - It will take place on the second Thursday of Spring.
    - It'll be a day for romance and flirting. Sims will spend the day with their other half or trying to woo someone into becoming their other half. the day will include lots of romance and maybe a little too much PDA!
    - Traditions may include romantic spirit, go on a date, give flowers, watch romantic tv

St. Gnome's Day
    - This will take the place of St. Patrick's Day.
    - It will take place on the third Friday of Spring.
    - It'll be a day for mischief, pranks and overall immature behavior. It'll involve holiday gnomes and all kinds of wacky Sim antics!
    - Traditions may include mischief spirit, drinking, holiday gnomes, streaking, party spirit

Bunny Hop Day
    - This will take the place of Easter.
    - It will take place on the last Sunday of Spring.
    - It'll be a day to enjoy the sweeter things in life. Kids will anxiously await the arrival of the Flower Bunny while moms and dads bake some goodies in the kitchen. The kids will set out on an egg hunt and the day will end with a grand meal as a family.
    - Traditions may include Flower Bunny, egg hunt, grand meal, baking

Summer Vacation
    - This is just for the kids! It'll be a week off of school in the Summer. Adults may take time off as well if a vacation is planned.
    - It will take place over the second week of Summer.
    - It'll be a week for kids to enjoy a break from school and get some fresh air in the warm sunshine! Families may plan a vacation together. Outdoor activities are a must!
    - Traditions may include go on a vacation or travel, water fun

Simdependence Day
    - This will take the place of Independence Day/4th of July.
    - It will take place on the second Saturday of Summer.
    - It'll be a day for Sims to celebrate the day their world was founded! They will celebrate with the family and enjoy outdoor activities and grill some yummy outdoor food!
    - Traditions may include bar-b-que, water fun, drinking, fireworks (I believe I saw that will be an option if you have whatever pack introduced fireworks)

Spooky Day
    - This will take the place of Halloween.
    - It will take place on the second Friday of Autumn.
    - It'll be a day for Sims to embrace their dark side! Sims will put on their best costumes and enjoy some trick or treating and spooky activities. There may be some spooky visitors coming by as well!
    - Traditions may include spooky spirit, trick or treat, wear costumes

Harvest Day
    - This will take the place of Thanksgiving.
    - It will take place on the third Thursday of Autumn.
    - It'll be a day for Sims to share what they're thankful for! A grand meal will be served with a side of some traditional sports tv.
    - Traditions may include grand meal, invite guests, sports TV, thankful spirit

Winter Vacation
    - Another break for the kids! Again, adults may also take time off if a vacation is planned.
    - It will start on the second Friday of Winter and end on the last Sunday of Winter.
    - In total, kids will have a week and 3 days off. I tried to mimic what a Christmas/Winter break would be where I live.
    - It'll be a time when kids can enjoy the winter holidays and get another much needed break from school! Families can plan a vacation to Selvadorada to escape the winter blues, or they can take a nice relaxing trip to Granite Falls for a winter cabin getaway.
    - Traditions may include take a vacation or travel, decorate

Snowflake Day Eve
    - This will take the place of Christmas Eve.
    - It will take place on the second Friday of Winter.
    - It'll be a day for Sims to prepare for Snowflake Day! Kids will try to sneak a peek at Father Winter when he comes to deliver their gifts. Mom and dad will spend the day cooking and preparing for the Snowflake Day dinner! And don't forget to finish getting those holiday decorations hung!
    - Traditions may include festive spirit, Father Winter, decorate

Snowflake Day
    - This will take the place of Christmas Day.
    - It will take place on the second Saturday of Winter.
    - It'll be a day for all things fun! Kids will run down the stairs to open their presents while mom and dad pat each other on the back for a job well done. The family will make sure to take time to play outside and create some Snow Pals and Snow Angels! The day will end with a grand meal that's hard to beat!
    - Traditions may include open presents, grand meal, festive spirit, give gifts

I love how detailed this is. You have some really great ideas! :)
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    Summer Melt Down - BBQ, drinks, water activities :)

Happy Home Day (Spring, after New Years) - Cleaning, gardening, give thanks :)

World Cup Final (Summer) - Watch sport, drink, BBQ, gnomes to practice kicking :lol: Multi colour decor.
    giphy.gif
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    I created Parents' Day on spring because both USA and my country celebrate Mothers' Day on spring, but USA celebrates Fathers' Day on summer while my country celebrates Fathers' Day on fall/autumn.
    I also created Leisure Day on the summer. I made the traditions as water fun, invite guests, BBQ, travelling and bonfires. The main idea of that holiday is to have a holiday back from The Sims 3 (no fireworks this time) and give sims a free day.
    On the fall I've created Remembrance Day where sims remember the dead, be thankful (by being thankful to a living sim or sending a thank you letter to a dead sims (yes, this is possible)), fasting, cleaning and festive lighting.
  • Cynel1Cynel1 Posts: 1,389 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    I created Parents' Day on spring because both USA and my country celebrate Mothers' Day on spring, but USA celebrates Fathers' Day on summer while my country celebrates Fathers' Day on fall/autumn.
    I also created Leisure Day on the summer. I made the traditions as water fun, invite guests, BBQ, travelling and bonfires. The main idea of that holiday is to have a holiday back from The Sims 3 (no fireworks this time) and give sims a free day.
    On the fall I've created Remembrance Day where sims remember the dead, be thankful (by being thankful to a living sim or sending a thank you letter to a dead sims (yes, this is possible)), fasting, cleaning and festive lighting.

If you have City Living then fireworks can be used as a Tradition.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    Cynel1 wrote: »
    EgonVM wrote: »

If you have City Living then fireworks can be used as a Tradition.

I used that tradition in the New Year's Eve. I didn't want to use it in the Leisure day.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    There was another thread like this, so I’ll copy and paste my answer from there:

Dia de los Reyes (Three Kings’ Day), Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead), and the typical US holidays (like Christmas, Halloween, Valentine’s Day, Mother’s/Father’s Day, etc). :smile:

~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • peragogoperagogo Posts: 223 Member
    I went with 28 day seasons in the end and assigned equivalent dates to every day. I probably went a little overboard with it but most of mine are pretty standard without time off from work.

The only fun ones:

Friday the 13th: Summer 13 = June 13th! On a Friday too!
    Holiday Gnomes
    Spooky Spirit

Crumplebottom Appreciation Day: Autumn 5 = August 17th (same day as Valentines day but in the opposite season)
    Air Grievances
    Watch Romantic TV