Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Most suitable world for a farmer

I’ve decided that my next heir is going to be a farmer at one point (after a lot of straying that I’m going to try out Traveler for ^.^). I’m having a bit of a hard time figuring out where exactly I’ll let him settle to start that farm though. I’d like to choose a world I haven’t played yet (Roaring Heights or Lucky Palms), but are they suitable/believable for a farming life I wonder. So I decided to ask the community (and I’d love to also see your arguments, especially when you’ve played the farming life)(tips are welcome too!) :smiley:

Thanks for participating!
5JZ57S6.png

Most suitable world for a farmer 64 votes

Roaring Heights, because...
0%
Lucky Palms, because...
1%
Rflong7 1 vote
Barnacle Bay, because...
0%
Riverview, because...
39%
IdontrcallHejixjaletu2005elanorbretonAnmirlaJessabeansKATENESSApparentlyAwesomecwaddelljillbglisasc360MineWarsSigzy05wendelyneZeeGeethuggishsplicerBerryCharmingCharityHopeKay8OrangePalmArrow 25 votes
Twinbrook, because...
1%
SimsxZelda_fan 1 vote
Appaloosa Plains, because...
34%
bklienhartElanoreAlexandriaemorrillScorpina200906Bon06SylvIreneSwiftilikethesims30Sims4MagicalTalessof2106KelvingarapoesjordandMidnightAuraBreazonamikaBrandontaylorTroyTalksaglitteringsimmerSatanu_Reeves 22 votes
Other (‘how could you forget that one!’), because...
23%
despina53Scrapdashalanmichael1GabbyGirlJigazoryoshi_dragur2012bekkasanSindocatTadOlsonTreyNutzSimKeatsGoulsquashMcToshTeslachick2ClarionOfJoy 15 votes

Comments

• Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    I pick other, because I would go with something like Evansdale/Storybrook County, both have nice rural farming areas, and farms. Legacy Island 3 has a nice farming area too.
    Between Roaring Heights and Lucky Palms, I think, the setting of Roaring Heights is a lot better choice. Lucky Palms is kind of a desert, not ideal for a traditional farm. Although, I guess a lot of the time when people talk about farming on the forum they discuss their greenhouses and basement farms.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Thanks, didn’t think of custom worlds because I never used one! I very much appreciate tips about that as well, there’s always a first time.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Between zombie hordes (with supernatural EP) and winter (with Seasons), using a greenhouse for farming just makes sense. That, and the SwiftGro Gardening Station helps out immensely by preventing plants from dying due to not being watered/harvested RIGHT at 5am. Not to mention easy access to rare and Special seeds due to it causing random seeds to spawn in and around your garden.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • Options
    ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,233 Member
    I said Other, thinking of Monte Vista. Riverview is another good choice but although the ambience is very rural there aren't many good farming lots available and one of them is already lived in.
    Monte Vista has several big lots already laid out with vegetables and outbuildings and at least 2 large lots are empty to start afresh. You could make nectar with your own vineyard. Add to that the weather, you could set it to a very long hot summer and get more growing time.
  • Options
    Eh, the main reason I originally decided to get the greenhouse store content was because zombies kept eating my crops. Even if I put up a fence they spawned inside the fenced area and ate the crops.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Appaloosa Plains has the look of farmland in the valley, and quite a few of the lots are large. You could buy one lot for the house, and another across the road or next to it for the fields, and use the Grandpa's Grove tractor to farm it.
  • Options
    Have you considered Dragon Valley? While I haven't done much in that world yet, I would imagine that a fantasy setting world would lend it's self towards a farm.
  • Options
    Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    I'd recommend Meadow Glen by mysimsrealty. It's a lovely world with farming areas and I believe one of the lots would be perfect for the Granpa's groove store set if you have it. It's one of my favorite custom worlds.
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Riverview, because...
    I’d personally pick Riverview, huge lots (and space for more if you desire) for some serious farming. I always gut the lands I use them move the Sims I like playing back in so except for Don and Betty’s family I can’t speak for the Sims who live there. Appoloosa would be an obvious choice though there would need to be some shifting around of lots to fit in another 64x64 (I do think there are a few 60x60’s by the equestrian barn though (occupied but can be cleared). I’ve recently set up a Sim in SV as an off the grid farmer, stopped playing him rapidly as I had other projects though.

Whatever you pick have fun! :smiley:
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I go with empty custom worlds like Evermore Falls,Storybrook County lite,Deery Meadows,Gibsons,Glenvale County,Beach City build version,and would also very highly recommend Logan once it's released as it would also be perfect for farming with tons of room and it's a blank world without the lots placed in a brand new game like Evermore Falls.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    Riverview, because...
    I picked Riverview for many of the reasons others have mentioned. A lot of the houses on that one side of the river do have a farmish feel to them, too.

Have fun!
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Riverview, because...

Riverview, modified to suite your needs.

Riverview is beautiful and has the right setting and plenty of large lots, although some are already in use. (I have no problem moving households with their lots to some other site to use a prime large lot for my household.) Plus there is space to add additional large lots. Also if I'm using that section for farms or horse properties I will use the 60X60 fishing lot for a ranch/farm. There is room for a 64x64 behind the equestrian center for a horse training ranch or the equestrian lot can be used for a user-created horse training ranch with a barn that has a rabbit hole door for the equestrian center combining both equestrian lots.

Another time I totally annihilated the original population and placed 20 young adults in town for the purpose of generating family households to be used in other towns. In that game I got rid of all the wealthy lots and placed my horse lots up there, not using the already made farming/ranching area.

view from my modified Riverview of the wealthy lots cleared
    zTmv3Wh.jpg

my household's ranch
    9ySb7Gl.jpg

my household moving from the smaller lot on the end of the road to the larger ranch/garden lot, across from the equestrian center and horse training ranch
    Tn5OXVe.jpg
    3jjxJqp.jpg
  • Options
    yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited April 2018
    Try the custom made and turn key farming worlds featured at MySimRealty here :)

http://www.mysimrealty.com/WORLDS_WinchesterFarmComm2.0.html

All the worlds are featured here:
    http://www.mysimrealty.com/Sims3_Worlds.html

Meadow Glenn & Red Harbor would make decent worlds if you don't mind playing smaller island/coastal type worlds.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Another vote for Meadow Glen. I've played v2 specifically for a farmer. It has a beautiful area designed as farmlands.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Dragon Valley because it is beautiful, rural, bug-free, mystic and completely compatible with Island Paradise (ok thats no argument for farming ...).
  • Options
    jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    Riverview, because...
    I think Riverview is just so pastoral - everything farming just looks so right in that world. I use it for my Pride and Prejudice stories.
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • Options
    AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    Riverview, because...
    Definietly RIVERVIEW! just look at his:
    RiverviewFarmland.jpg
    Every time I downloaded one of the store's farming items I said to myself "oh, this will go great in Riverview".
    If you intend to play with the townies as well I think they are suitable as well.

Other worlds- CC:
    GlenDonnach
    https://thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6024201
    Cladbridge-on-Stowe
    https://thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7451577
  • Options
    SylvSylv Posts: 885 Member
    edited April 2018
    Appaloosa Plains because as someone who lives in farming country, it truly does follow the perfect aesthetic :blush: It also has a lot of country themed pre-placed lots and the whole town suits the look, so it wouldn't be any extra work on your part. Alternatively, Riverview is a great open country look as well, with much more space!
    tumblr_naeqm3rHmH1tca3q3o1_400.gif
    Origin ID: SylvRo
    Sims 4 Current Household: Generation 11

• Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,286 Member
    Riverview, because...
    I voted for Riverview because it looks like a very nice farming world. Plus it's the world that I'm playing in now. It was a toss up of Riverview or AP as AP is another good one for farming as well.

A few years ago, I had started a small farmstead in Hidden Springs on a 40x40 lot that I was planning on making bigger as the family grew and the house and farm gets bigger... :)
    eRJBtqyl.jpg
    dDOeHMNl.jpg
    YJCTyzPl.jpg
    O6379NHl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Thanks! (who knows this poll and the reactions are useful for others as well)
    The reason I haven’t mentioned Monte Vista and Dragon Valley by the way (they are among my favourite worlds) is because I played there quite recently and I like a change of scenery. Other than that I agree those worlds would be perfect for a farmer.

I also played five generations in Riverview, but that’s such a long time ago that it would be pure nostalgia if I’d return there, so that’s why I’m considering that one. Apart from the very obvious rural atmosphere in that world I was wondering if it has enough space so thanks for elaborating on that cwaddell!! I’m indeed planning to make some changes to the world he’ll end up in if needed. If I choose Riverview I’m going to adjust a lot of premades anyway, because they’re too familiar and belong in the lives of my sim’s ancestors, not in his. That just would feel very off ;) Love your pictures <3

I have all the Store stuff that one could use for a farm, but he will really have to start from scratch. My challenge will be to see if he can manage to build a successful farm with just selling what he’s harvesting, maybe fishing too and collecting. So in the beginning it will all come down to working with his own hands (hope that won’t be a bore).

Off to check out the custom worlds that are mentioned :smile:

Thanks everyone!

ETA: was typing when the last three posts were added, good old Riverview’s still a favourite obviously haha. That picture reminds me of my favourite Van Gogh, Avatarit :blush:

VanGoghPaintings_broad.jpg
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Lucky Palms, because...
    Since you want to play something else and did list those two options... I picked Lucky Palms.
  • Options
    I definitely want to live in Lucky Palms with him, but I might stay there before he becomes a farmer. The reason I added it in the poll is because my bias is it’s not suitable for farming but maybe I’m wrong. I think the straying will take place in LP and the farming at one point somewhere else. Appaloosa Plains is at the top of my list as well by the way, even when it’s a bit small...
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    My first thought was Monte Vista, but if you've already played there and are wanting something new than I'll change my suggestion to...

Lunar Lakes! Because on a distant foreign planet, farming would be crazy important. Throw a dome on your lot or use some of the into the future garden stuff and you could really stylize your farm to fit in.
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    One other thought is to farm in France. Since your guy is going to stray a lot, he could travel a lot too and eventually settle there to farm.
  • Options
    thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    edited April 2018
    Riverview, because...
    I'd be torn between Riverview and Appaloosa Plains due to both having great lanscape.
    I often have farms in Riverview because of the greater lots.

EDIT: I've just noticed you've made up your mind.
    Farming in Lucky Palms sounds interesting. The soil is dry, maybe he could invest in some seeds from Egypt. There are a couple of nice-sized lots, you could give it a try as well.