Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unpopular opinions about ts4

Comments

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited December 2017
    aricarai wrote: »

Weren't Life Stories and Pet Stories side games? If that's the case, they should make a side game for Simmers that want to run the game on lower end machines.

I don't understand why they wouldn't take advantage of technology and use a powerful engine. Simmers ask for features to be implemented and then when they're not done the way they expect and it's said because the engine/tech can't handle it, they're disappoint. Unfortunately it can't be both ways, do you want a jam packed game or do you want to play on a lower end computer?

I seriously thought that's why they made mobile games, side games, and console games.
    They were but they were very similar to the Sims 2, just more goal oriented and followed a story line and had an option for sandbox play to them. It was like the Sims 2 Lite. There was the Sims 2 Life Stories, the Sims 2 Pet Stories, and the Sims 2 Castaway stories. I would love if they brought that back and honestly I don't know why they didn't continue them with the Sims 3. Yeah that's the conundrum that has been during the Sims 3 and 4 is that Sims 3 offered a game for desktops, but not for laptops. Sims 4 is geared more towards laptops, but not to desktops even though Cats and Dogs upped the specs. Sims 2 just offered the perfect formula to cater to both. It offered games for both sets of players. I keep running into a lot of Simmers in which their computers don't even meet the minimum specs. I had to beg the Gurus multiple times to get even a console version and there are quite a number of Simmers switching to that and it has come at the right timing with the release of Cats and Dogs EP. They already have the system, so tends to be cheaper purchasing packs again for a different system than a whole new computer for them sometimes. I just hope the next iteration offers games for laptops. I guess the Sims 3 did offer spin off versions with the Sims 3 Medieval for laptops. I remember one Sims stream Gurus were goofing off spin off game ideas and it sounded like fun. If they brought back the Urbz but for laptops, that would be fun too.

Some pictures of it:
    04_sims_stories.png
    hqdefault.jpg

This is Castaway Stories, my favorite side game:
    850668-937311_20080206_004.jpg

Anyway I think the Sims 3 and 4 are good lessons that you can't have it both ways. One will always be sacrificed over another. Why a side game wasn't done for the Sims 4 I don't know, but at least we got console which I'm happy about.

I did look up the Sims 4 specs recently and the integrated card for minimum comes from 2008, so that is technically a card that came prior to when the Sims 3 was released in 2009. Makes me wonder how many people haven't upgrade their systems since when the Sims 2 was released.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I update my whole system every 2-2 and a half years on average.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Erpe wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    But The Sims isn’t a builder’s game. Which doesn’t mean you can’t have fun with doing just that, but if they’d cut out all the gameplay except for building (which I also consider gameplay by the way), would it still be a Sims game? Sims is playing with little people. Delivering the game with just amazing CAS wouldn’t make a Sims game either. There are thousands of dressing games for that and that is not Sims. Again, that doesn’t mean you can’t use the game for just that (I know people do and more power to them), but when you make a ‘dressing up characters’ thing out of it, it stops being Sims. Sims needs more. Other gameplay. For people who love doing other things with the game than building houses and creating Sims. To me this unpopular opinion sounds like: we don’t need a proper Sims game anymore, with gameplay for all kind of playing styles. And for simulating lives.
    Sims was originally going to be a build only game but Will Wright wanted to add Sims to it.
    "Will, who studied architecture in college, originally conceived of the game as an architectural design simulator. To "score" the quality of the design, he added tiny people who would inhabit the buildings. These simulated people quickly stole the spotlight, and Will realized that watching the lives of the Sims unfold was the real entertainment. Again, his instincts were right.
    The build only game was the SimCity games. But Will Wright correctly wanted a sidegame which focused more on the people who lived in the houses. He considered the name “Dollhouse” for such a sidegame. But EA wouldn’t accept it and the name instead became the Sims.
    Released in 2000, The Sims was the best-selling PC game of of 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003, until it was dethroned by its own sequel The Sims 2, which quickly established itself as the best selling PC game of 2004. "
    Yes. But the Sims 2 never sold more than a little over half of the sales numbers for TS1. The reason likely was that a lot of simmers just refused to switch to TS2. I started in the Sims 2 forum and I still remember how angry half of the forum were because EA had released TS2 instead of releasing more EPs for TS1. Those people graduately disappeared from the Sims 2 forum in the next months. But many of them just continued with TS1 and never bought TS2.

I suggest you watch 'History of The Sims' on YouTube. The original concept was focused on building and was an architecture simulator.
    There are a couple of videos by that name and they are apparently just made by some simmer who wanted to advertise for the Sims games. So they start with ugly videos from TS1 and continue by just showing how the game became more beautiful for each version. I hate advertising videos. So I won’t see them ;)

Still it doesn’t tell me anything that there are younger simmers who have given a more glamorous interpretation by claiming that TS1 had nothing with SimCity to do and who love the newer versions of the game just because they look more beautiful than the original game even with the dumped down and way too easy gameplay.

The problem with simmers who refused to move on to the next game has been there every time because so many simmers loved their game and hated the idea of switching to a new version where they would have to buy everything again. But it was especially a huge problem with the Sims 1 lovers because they weren’t used to the idea of getting a new basegame every 5 yrs.
    That analysis shows you indeed didn’t see it. It’s a very respectful video and not at all advertising.
    No, I saw the beginning of another video with the same title. It just showed the graphics from all the Sims games and the idea was to compare it to be impressed by the better and better graphics in the different games and the huge progress in the “History of the Sims”.
    Oh, wauw, graphics improved in 15 years? Some eyeopener lol.
    It was obvious a fan video that just wanted to show a little of all the “wonderful” things that had happed in the last 17 yrs. even though it was shorter than the other video I therefore didn’t have the patience to see it to the end. So I can’t judge the whole video. But it wasn’t promising.

I don’t like to get information in the form of long videos at all and strongly prefer to get information in text instead because I am a fast reader and can easily skip things that don’t interest me without losing important information anyway. But there is no way of doing something similar when I am watching a video. So for me to watch such a long video I will at least have to put it on my TV and do something else at the same time to avoid being way too bored while I am watching it.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2017
    player2 wrote: »
    How do people feel about no more global world in ts4 instead of like in 3? This is something I'm really not sure I like but want to know what other people think.
    I’m under the impression it’s 50-50. I also think there are considerations attached to that question that influence the opinions about that. Sims 3’s open world not functioning perfectly for a lot of players is one of them. I also think many players could live with a different concept, if only the neighborhoods would have been bigger, there would have been no loading screens within neighborhoods, if you at least could give (active) sims at the other side of a loading screen instructions and if there would have been more customization possibilities.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    TS1299 wrote: »
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    player2 wrote: »
    How do people feel about no more global world in ts4 instead of like in 3? This is something I'm really not sure I like but want to know what other people think.

That didn’t bother me. I went to 4 from 2. Only thing that did bother me was the inability to edit my neighbourhoods.

Same. In TS2 AL, I can at least build houses that function as apartment units, those in a way allowing to visit your neighborhoods without a loading screen. TS4 can't even do that right.

Yeah. I really wish they’d built a proper engine. Pretty sure they knew they’d eventually add the things people wanted most. Why they built an engine that couldn’t implement it properly is beyond me.

TBH they said they can they just din't want to bexause ut will brake our saves. The same thing happen upon installing apartment life either.
    Adjustment breaking player’s saves equals not being able to do it. Because that seriously is a no go.
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Unpopular, eh? I don't know if my opinions are unpopular or not, I just know they're my opinions. :joy:
    1. They should stop trying to be inclusive of people with low end computers and make a game based off what they and we players have in mind for content, not whether our computers will run it.

That is all I can think of... Don't know the popularity of them all, though.

They can't really do this.

Majority of Simmers run the game on Laptops according to the Guru's. The reason why The Sims 4 has a dedicated Laptop Mode is because of this.
    With The Sims 2, they released a Laptop friendly version of the game (Life Stories & Pet Stories) which says to me there was enough demand from Laptop players that they needed a separate game.

Simmers are casual gamers. If they can't play the new games, they will just play the old games.
    What is a casual gamer? Because I’m under the impression simmers are pretty hardcore concerning this franchise. More loyal I’d say than players of other games (taking my son as a starting point, who loves playing a lot of different games and if his computer can’t handle one he just plays another one).
    Scobre wrote: »
    But The Sims isn’t a builder’s game. Which doesn’t mean you can’t have fun with doing just that, but if they’d cut out all the gameplay except for building (which I also consider gameplay by the way), would it still be a Sims game? Sims is playing with little people. Delivering the game with just amazing CAS wouldn’t make a Sims game either. There are thousands of dressing games for that and that is not Sims. Again, that doesn’t mean you can’t use the game for just that (I know people do and more power to them), but when you make a ‘dressing up characters’ thing out of it, it stops being Sims. Sims needs more. Other gameplay. For people who love doing other things with the game than building houses and creating Sims. To me this unpopular opinion sounds like: we don’t need a proper Sims game anymore, with gameplay for all kind of playing styles. And for simulating lives.
    Sims was originally going to be a build only game but Will Wright wanted to add Sims to it.
    "Will, who studied architecture in college, originally conceived of the game as an architectural design simulator. To "score" the quality of the design, he added tiny people who would inhabit the buildings. These simulated people quickly stole the spotlight, and Will realized that watching the lives of the Sims unfold was the real entertainment. Again, his instincts were right.
    The build only game was the SimCity games. But Will Wright correctly wanted a sidegame which focused more on the people who lived in the houses. He considered the name “Dollhouse” for such a sidegame. But EA wouldn’t accept it and the name instead became the Sims.
    Released in 2000, The Sims was the best-selling PC game of of 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003, until it was dethroned by its own sequel The Sims 2, which quickly established itself as the best selling PC game of 2004. "
    Yes. But the Sims 2 never sold more than a little over half of the sales numbers for TS1. The reason likely was that a lot of simmers just refused to switch to TS2. I started in the Sims 2 forum and I still remember how angry half of the forum were because EA had released TS2 instead of releasing more EPs for TS1. Those people graduately disappeared from the Sims 2 forum in the next months. But many of them just continued with TS1 and never bought TS2.

I suggest you watch 'History of The Sims' on YouTube. The original concept was focused on building and was an architecture simulator.
    There are a couple of videos by that name and they are apparently just made by some simmer who wanted to advertise for the Sims games. So they start with ugly videos from TS1 and continue by just showing how the game became more beautiful for each version. I hate advertising videos. So I won’t see them ;)

Still it doesn’t tell me anything that there are younger simmers who have given a more glamorous interpretation by claiming that TS1 had nothing with SimCity to do and who love the newer versions of the game just because they look more beautiful than the original game even with the dumped down and way too easy gameplay.

The problem with simmers who refused to move on to the next game has been there every time because so many simmers loved their game and hated the idea of switching to a new version where they would have to buy everything again. But it was especially a huge problem with the Sims 1 lovers because they weren’t used to the idea of getting a new basegame every 5 yrs.
    That analysis shows you indeed didn’t see it. It’s a very respectful video and not at all advertising.
    No, I saw the beginning of another video with the same title. It just showed the graphics from all the Sims games and the idea was to compare it to be impressed by the better and better graphics in the different games and the huge progress in the “History of the Sims”.
    Oh, wauw, graphics improved in 15 years? Some eyeopener lol.
    It was obvious a fan video that just wanted to show a little of all the “wonderful” things that had happed in the last 17 yrs. even though it was shorter than the other video I therefore didn’t have the patience to see it to the end. So I can’t judge the whole video. But it wasn’t promising.

I don’t like to get information in the form of long videos at all and strongly prefer to get information in text instead because I am a fast reader and can easily skip things that don’t interest me without losing important information anyway. But there is no way of doing something similar when I am watching a video. So for me to watch such a long video I will at least have to put it on my TV and do something else at the same time to avoid being way too bored while I am watching it.
    The video aricarai is referring to is a joy to watch, trust me. No coloured opinion hidden in there whatsoever, just a feast of love for this franchise and an appreciation of every version. That’s how I experienced it anyway ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    ST7_MTNMAN wrote: »
    Those points seem only to be unpopular among people who are disappointed with the game but still hope that it will improve. I am not one of those people though because I don’t expect the game to improve enough at all for me to play it ;)

The only point that I don’t agree with is point 9 because TS4 was never intended to be a game for mobile devices! It was always intended to be a new PC game instead.

The confusion is about TS4 originally having online options which likely would have enabled us to play at line (too?) and visit eachother if we wanted to. But EA gave up on this (and likely because it would have made it too difficult to make all the profitable expansions too) and I still don’t accept people’s excuses about this being the reason for all the omissions and simplifications in TS4 because I am quite sure that EA’s reasons instead were:
    1. To save money by not giving the game more content than necessary to keep the sales numbers high.
    2. To mainly target TS4 at new simmers who wouldn’t miss the things that EA omitted or simplified anyway.

Well TS4 is the only version i have ever played and i can assure you after seeing how this game is i will never buy another version of it ever again at least not full price and I will not buy and expansion packs either unless gameplay changes immensely.
    That doesn’t surprise me because then you are likely just not a new simmer who earlier only played small casual games or smaller games for children. TS4 is in my opinion mostly targeted at very young inexperienced girls (but boys a little too) who got it as their first big game. (The other type of TS4 simmers are usually more experienced simmers who just refuse to give up because they see the Sims as just their game.)

Wrong on both counts. I am not a "little girl" and I think Sims 4 is the best in the series. It is what Sims should be, a good game for story tellers. I have over 212 Sims all telling different stories as they live out their lives.
  • Options
    I have now seen the recommended YouTube video about the history of Sims and it was better than I expected. It is clearly made by a Sims 1 fan though because Sims 1 fills a huge part of the video.

So it’s interpretation of the history is colored and especially the remark about “half of the simmers are females” is misguiding even though it is true that more than 50% of the simmers are females. But even though about 50% of all gamers now are females this isn’t true for every type of game as you can read about on https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_and_video_games Only about 2% of the fans of sports games are according to the tables on that page females and only 4% of the fans of tactical shooters are females. So other games must have a majority of females among their fans and the Sims games sure are some of those games!

The article doesn’t mention Sims games as a particular genre though. But it says that 69% of the fans of match-3 games are females and that 69% of the fans of farming and family simulators are females while only 31% are males. The Sims games are not farming simulators but family simulators. But they are also dress up games which I believe have the highest percentage of females among their fans among all types of games. (Dress up games aren’t mentioned in the article.) Therefore my estimate of about 80% of the fans of Sims games being females seems to be quite correct while farming simulators seem to have about 60-70% females among their fans. Anyway the more the Sims games focus on stuff like new clothes, new hair, new makeup, new furniture etc. the more they appeal to especially females while more males probably will like the Sims games if they focus more on careers, hobbies, money and similar things.

Also the video pretended to give a full background about the “improvement” in the games made by Maxis which it almost claim always had direction against the Sims as the final conclusion. But this of course isn’t true and it is very hard to see how a game like SimCopter could be part of such a direction at all! ;)

All games from Maxis were simulations and Will Wright’s idea was just to simulate everything. This resulted in a huge number of unsuccessful games (SimEarth, SimAnt, SimLife, SimFarm, SimTower, SimHealth, SimIsle: Mission in the Rainforests, SimTown, SimGolf, SimCopter, SimTunes, SimPark, Streets of SimCity, SimSafari, Sim Theme Park, SimCoaster etc) and only 2 successful games (SimCity and the Sims). So in the rare cases that one of the games became successful it was just by random and by extreme luck. Nothing else ;)

Maxis was a big company that published its own games and also games from other companies. So it would never have needed EA if its games had been more successful! But they just weren’t and when Maxis finally had the extreme luck to hit the spot with the Sims it was too late because Maxis had already been bought by EA.
  • Options
    Mendota wrote: »
    ST7_MTNMAN wrote: »
    Those points seem only to be unpopular among people who are disappointed with the game but still hope that it will improve. I am not one of those people though because I don’t expect the game to improve enough at all for me to play it ;)

The only point that I don’t agree with is point 9 because TS4 was never intended to be a game for mobile devices! It was always intended to be a new PC game instead.

The confusion is about TS4 originally having online options which likely would have enabled us to play at line (too?) and visit eachother if we wanted to. But EA gave up on this (and likely because it would have made it too difficult to make all the profitable expansions too) and I still don’t accept people’s excuses about this being the reason for all the omissions and simplifications in TS4 because I am quite sure that EA’s reasons instead were:
    1. To save money by not giving the game more content than necessary to keep the sales numbers high.
    2. To mainly target TS4 at new simmers who wouldn’t miss the things that EA omitted or simplified anyway.

Well TS4 is the only version i have ever played and i can assure you after seeing how this game is i will never buy another version of it ever again at least not full price and I will not buy and expansion packs either unless gameplay changes immensely.
    That doesn’t surprise me because then you are likely just not a new simmer who earlier only played small casual games or smaller games for children. TS4 is in my opinion mostly targeted at very young inexperienced girls (but boys a little too) who got it as their first big game. (The other type of TS4 simmers are usually more experienced simmers who just refuse to give up because they see the Sims as just their game.)

Wrong on both counts. I am not a "little girl" and I think Sims 4 is the best in the series. It is what Sims should be, a good game for story tellers. I have over 212 Sims all telling different stories as they live out their lives.
    You don’t prove anything by telling me that you are one of the quite many exceptions to a more general rule. Just like you wouldn’t prove anything about the majority if you told me that you voted on a small polical party which disagreed with all other political parties in your country. This discussion is for me about the majority and not about the exceptions (which I admit exist too).

I like story telling too. But I want to create my own stories like I did in the Sims 2 and not to have my sims telling me their own stories by their autonomous behavior like they do in the Sims 4.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    > @agustd said:
    > My unpopular opinions are:
    >
    > 1. I don't get the appeal of seasons. I just don't. Weather is not my priority when it comes to immersion at all and I always found the seasonal gameplay in TS too scripted and repetitive. Snowflake Day? A cute idea until you've taken your sims there so many times it becomes annoying and you'd rather place an ice skating rink on your own lot than have your sims travel to the festival. I honestly hope seasons is NOT the next EP for TS4.
    >
    > 2. I do not want customizable height in future games. Waste of devs' time. We don't need it, at all.
    >
    > 3. ..Just like we don't need pre teens. The most ridiculous idea I've heard from the players in a while. Just no.
    >
    > 4. I do not miss CASt. I'm not against its return, but I personally just couldn't care less, honestly.
    >
    > 5. The mismatched color options for furniture and clothes in game don't bother me. It's not like in real life our outfits are perfectly matched and I actually like the quirky style of slightly mismatched furniture.
    >
    > 6. I don't think Vampires were that good. I'm glad to see people enjoy them but in my opinion they're extremely overhyped.

1. Because without Seasons, you have nothing but repetitive Sunlight EVERY SINGLE DAY. I'd like to be able to have Days where my Sims get a little behind on gardening due to the Weather not cooperating, thus forcing 'em to have a Day spent with family instead.

2. As a user of a customizable height mod...I'm gonna refrain from calling you a plum for the sake of adding more diversity to one's game in getting to have Sims of different heights, "midgets and giants", etc. We can't all agree, but some of us would actually like to have things like that for the sake of challenges or just flat-out seeing the goofy messes our Sims get into from kissing their partner's throat instead of their lips since varying heights aren't currently supported.

3. Maybe we don't need pre-teens, but just because you don't want 'em for your game doesn't mean everybody does. I hadn't even thought of it, but now that that's been put in my head, I wouldn't mind 'em...if they showed more pubescent behavior beyond goofy mood swings that aren't very realistic. Yeah, we'd prolly have to have a mod for something like the girls having menstrual cycles, but whatever; I could live with that if pre-teens and teens both had more than mood swings that weren't even as realistic as a toddler's temper tantrum.

4. Personally, the lack of any customization beyond downloaded recolors in CAS and BB, not to mention the lack of the open Worlds and constant loading screens which, for me, take WAY MORE than a few seconds to get past, irritates the plum outta me. If I want my Sims to have hot-pink hair with lime-green stripes, I wanna do it myself, not wait on a CC creator to finally make a hair with that feature.

5. Not everybody likes matching styles, not everybody likes mismatched styles. Some of us are like me where we could care less if anything matched in Reality (most likely due to a lack of funds to change that), but want everything to match in their Sims' homes and wardrobes as a way of portraying THEMSELVES in the only way they can.

6. I considered getting the Vampires EP at one point. After everything I've heard and read about it, I'm glad I didn't bother wasting the money. C&D seems to be a big enough waste of money at this point, and I wouldn't want the regret of Vamps in my game, especially when they were the only supernatural race to be added, unlike when TS3: Supernatural came out.

And honestly, I could prolly come up with more arguments for various unpopular opinions; I just don't wanna since my hands are starting to hurt from all the cold Weather-typing.

I don't think the purpose of this thread is to go through and argue against everyone's unpopular opinion. Sure discuss, but going through someone's list and saying you don't agree with everything seems a little counterproductive.

However, for the sake of discussion, I have to say, your number 2 has me scratching my head a little. Wanting customised heights and being ok with goofy glitches? Reminds me of when C&D was released and the dogs were borking out; some Simmers couldn't wait to get their own copy in hopes they would see a glitch. Not sure about others, but I certainly don't buy these games in hopes I'll get to see a crazy glitch.
  • Options
    @JoAnne65 I agree that the video was quite good. But it focused a little too much on TS1 and on my TV it especially didn’t give TS3 very good credit because its low resolution made the graphics in TS3 look almost the same as the graphics in TS1.
  • Options
    Glad you took the time to watch it @Erpe. I'm not sure I interpret some of the things the same way you did, but hey, that's the beautiful of life.

The video was released by GameSpot so I'd be willing to bet a lot of fact checking went into it as they're a pretty big company (at least they were when I lived in the States) that sells games.
  • Options
    @JoAnne65 I agree that the video was quite good. But it focused a little too much on TS1 and on my TV it especially didn’t give TS3 very good credit because its low resolution made the graphics in TS3 look almost the same as the graphics in TS1.

Well TS1 started the franchise, so there's a lot of explaining to do.
  • Options
    Yes, that’s how I interpreted it as well. The first game they used to explain the roots of the franchise. In the other versions they mainly focused on what was added (or altered) to that concept.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited December 2017
    I don't think this thread is really going any where any more
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Glad you took the time to watch it @Erpe. I'm not sure I interpret some of the things the same way you did, but hey, that's the beautiful of life.

The video was released by GameSpot so I'd be willing to bet a lot of fact checking went into it as they're a pretty big company (at least they were when I lived in the States) that sells games.
    Yes. But Gamespot has never really been interested in Sims games though. So they likely just released it because they felt an obligation to do it. (Gamespot is targeted at hardcore gamers who usually don’t care about the Sims games at all.)

Anyway I think that is enough about my seemingly unpopular opinions about the development and history of the Sims games. So let us hear about some other unpopular opinions instead? ;)
  • Options

Yes. But Gamespot has never really been interested in Sims games though. So they likely just released it because they felt an obligation to do it. (Gamespot is targeted at hardcore gamers who usually don’t care about the Sims games at all.)

Anyway I think that is enough about my seemingly unpopular opinions about the development and history of the Sims games. So let us hear about some other unpopular opinions instead? ;)

Why would they feel obligated to release something that they seemingly have no interest in?
  • Options

Why would they feel obligated to release something that they seemingly have no interest in?
    Because we are all different. Even though hardcore gamers usually just like to fight and to compete with eachother there are always exceptions. So to take care of such (quite rare) exceptions who sometimes could be interested in Sims games too they feel obligated to also write a few reviews of casual games and Sims games. They just don’t do it very often.

But I think this whole discussion has become unpopular by many Sims fans. So let us change its subject ;)
  • Options
    I don't think this thread is really going any where any more
    Agreed. Back on topic before a moderator closes the topic?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited December 2017
    Couple of more~

1. I like the tech. Doesn't bother me that sims don't have a newspaper delivered to them as the only place I ever even see anyone buy one is at the convenient / grocery store. Heck, I haven't had a landline phone either in seven years? Still wouldn't mind seeing an option for either one of them to be brought back. Sims about mimic how modern life is right now with everyone on their phone often.
    2. I miss the smussle. :( I know it's pretty much an outdated dance considering, but I always loved it and was kinda hoping it'd be in the sims 4 when looking through the stereo.
    3. I definitely had fun with the base game. Some of the things that were missing in question didn't even bother me (then again I didn't even know they were gone other than pools when I went into build mode). Played it so much when it launched and still do now. I just enjoyed the atmosphere and look of the game, Spent a lot of time in CAS fiddling around in making sims to plop down into the world.
    4. With toddlers being so independent in the game, I STILL wish any older sims could just pick them and walk with them off the lot when having to travel.
    5. So glad teens to elders can share the same clothes rather than it being locked to whatever age group.
    6. I really like the clothing and find myself using far less CC (though Maxis match) because of how well done they are. There's such a varying variety.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    LavenderlightsLavenderlights Posts: 76 Member
    I don't think the purpose of this thread is to go through and argue against everyone's unpopular opinion. Sure discuss, but going through someone's list and saying you don't agree with everything seems a little counterproductive.
    That's right; @RebelShadowKitten - this thread is meant as a space of sorts for people to express opinions they have which they deem to be unpopular (though some discussion is always welcomed as long as it doesn't go overboard); not to zero in on other people's lists and disagree with their opinions one by one just for the heck of it.

Anyways:

-I really don't like installing alpha cc (alpha hair in particular) for my game. To me it just clashes really badly with ts4's clay-style sims. (Which is why I much prefer using maxis match/clay hair.)

-Despite not owning CL...I actually quite like the idea of the talking toilet. They remind me of the ones I saw in Japan.

-Buffs are the main problem with this game. To me they're what keeps messing up emotions and causing sims to react inappropriately to cheating/death situations. The "drifting love"/"death of a loved one" buffs should be around +50 sad for example, just to make sure the other positive buffs don't overpower it and have sims keep smiling in the face of tragedy. There being too many "happy" buffs is an issue too.

• Options
    RebelShadowKittenRebelShadowKitten Posts: 11 New Member
    > @Lavenderlights said:
    > aricarai wrote: »
    >
    > I don't think the purpose of this thread is to go through and argue against everyone's unpopular opinion. Sure discuss, but going through someone's list and saying you don't agree with everything seems a little counterproductive.
    >
    >
    >
    > That's right; @RebelShadowKitten - this thread is meant as a space of sorts for people to express opinions they have which they deem to be unpopular (though some discussion is always welcomed as long as it doesn't go overboard); not to zero in on other people's lists and disagree with their opinions one by one just for the heck of it.
    >
    > Anyways:
    >
    > -I really don't like installing alpha cc (alpha hair in particular) for my game. To me it just clashes really badly with ts4's clay-style sims. (Which is why I much prefer using maxis match/clay hair.)
    >
    > -Despite not owning CL...I actually quite like the idea of the talking toilet. They remind me of the ones I saw in Japan.
    >
    > -Buffs are the main problem with this game. To me they're what keeps messing up emotions and causing sims to react inappropriately to cheating/death situations. The "drifting love"/"death of a loved one" buffs should be around +50 sad for example, just to make sure the other positive buffs don't overpower it and have sims keep smiling in the face of tragedy. There being too many "happy" buffs is an issue too.

Maybe that's how this thread was meant, but oh, well...I was half asleep and fairly annoyed with a few different things, so I apologize. What I meant was that the game gets kinda boring with nothing but solid Sunlight; we oughta have various Seasons for different Weather and to make gardening harder. Varying heights? I don't use that mod just for whatever goofy glitches pop up - I use it for when I Sim real people, usually celebrities, and wanna make said Sim as realistic as possible. I could dive into the rest, but I'll end the "argument" here before it gets even more outta hand.

As for open Worlds...like I said, waaaay too many loading screens. I got annoyed with the ones between the neighborhood and whatever household I was playing, or when going into CAS to edit a Sim's wardrobe after they aged up (or I just got tired of what they were wearing); more loading screens every time they travel is just even more annoying. The fact that, whether due to a ton of CC, my laptop being a few Years outta date, or whatever, they take forever to go away and lemme get into my game doesn't help with my annoyance on that.

I'd also rather have more customization options in-game than having to go out and find CC to do it because that'd cut down on the amount of CC I have, which slows down my game. It'd also allow for things like creating a Sim with magenta hair that had hot-pink lowlights and a pastel highlight for the sheen. And if I wanted all my furniture to match, I could make it match, but everyone else could have mixmatched, if that's what they wanted. Yeah, it's prolly a weird set of aesthetics, but I'm admittedly a weirdo. *shrugs*
  • Options
    > @Lavenderlights said:
    > aricarai wrote: »
    >
    > I don't think the purpose of this thread is to go through and argue against everyone's unpopular opinion. Sure discuss, but going through someone's list and saying you don't agree with everything seems a little counterproductive.
    >
    >
    >
    > That's right; @RebelShadowKitten - this thread is meant as a space of sorts for people to express opinions they have which they deem to be unpopular (though some discussion is always welcomed as long as it doesn't go overboard); not to zero in on other people's lists and disagree with their opinions one by one just for the heck of it.
    >
    > Anyways:
    >
    > -I really don't like installing alpha cc (alpha hair in particular) for my game. To me it just clashes really badly with ts4's clay-style sims. (Which is why I much prefer using maxis match/clay hair.)
    >
    > -Despite not owning CL...I actually quite like the idea of the talking toilet. They remind me of the ones I saw in Japan.
    >
    > -Buffs are the main problem with this game. To me they're what keeps messing up emotions and causing sims to react inappropriately to cheating/death situations. The "drifting love"/"death of a loved one" buffs should be around +50 sad for example, just to make sure the other positive buffs don't overpower it and have sims keep smiling in the face of tragedy. There being too many "happy" buffs is an issue too.

Maybe that's how this thread was meant, but oh, well...I was half asleep and fairly annoyed with a few different things, so I apologize. What I meant was that the game gets kinda boring with nothing but solid Sunlight; we oughta have various Seasons for different Weather and to make gardening harder. Varying heights? I don't use that mod just for whatever goofy glitches pop up - I use it for when I Sim real people, usually celebrities, and wanna make said Sim as realistic as possible. I could dive into the rest, but I'll end the "argument" here before it gets even more outta hand.

As for open Worlds...like I said, waaaay too many loading screens. I got annoyed with the ones between the neighborhood and whatever household I was playing, or when going into CAS to edit a Sim's wardrobe after they aged up (or I just got tired of what they were wearing); more loading screens every time they travel is just even more annoying. The fact that, whether due to a ton of CC, my laptop being a few Years outta date, or whatever, they take forever to go away and lemme get into my game doesn't help with my annoyance on that.

I'd also rather have more customization options in-game than having to go out and find CC to do it because that'd cut down on the amount of CC I have, which slows down my game. It'd also allow for things like creating a Sim with magenta hair that had hot-pink lowlights and a pastel highlight for the sheen. And if I wanted all my furniture to match, I could make it match, but everyone else could have mixmatched, if that's what they wanted. Yeah, it's prolly a weird set of aesthetics, but I'm admittedly a weirdo. *shrugs*

@RebelShadowKitten - Those are pretty popular opinions that you've written. I'm sure many would agree with you. The thread is meant to be things that you like that probably a lot of Simmers don't agree with, hence unpopular opinions. For example, someone wrote an unpopular opinion that they enjoyed the game straight from launch. I'd say that's pretty unpopular.
  • Options
    RebelShadowKittenRebelShadowKitten Posts: 11 New Member
    > @aricarai said:
    > RebelShadowKitten wrote: »
    >
    > > @Lavenderlights said:
    > > aricarai wrote: »
    > >
    > > I don't think the purpose of this thread is to go through and argue against everyone's unpopular opinion. Sure discuss, but going through someone's list and saying you don't agree with everything seems a little counterproductive.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > That's right; @RebelShadowKitten - this thread is meant as a space of sorts for people to express opinions they have which they deem to be unpopular (though some discussion is always welcomed as long as it doesn't go overboard); not to zero in on other people's lists and disagree with their opinions one by one just for the heck of it.
    > >
    > > Anyways:
    > >
    > > -I really don't like installing alpha cc (alpha hair in particular) for my game. To me it just clashes really badly with ts4's clay-style sims. (Which is why I much prefer using maxis match/clay hair.)
    > >
    > > -Despite not owning CL...I actually quite like the idea of the talking toilet. They remind me of the ones I saw in Japan.
    > >
    > > -Buffs are the main problem with this game. To me they're what keeps messing up emotions and causing sims to react inappropriately to cheating/death situations. The "drifting love"/"death of a loved one" buffs should be around +50 sad for example, just to make sure the other positive buffs don't overpower it and have sims keep smiling in the face of tragedy. There being too many "happy" buffs is an issue too.
    >
    >
    > Maybe that's how this thread was meant, but oh, well...I was half asleep and fairly annoyed with a few different things, so I apologize. What I meant was that the game gets kinda boring with nothing but solid Sunlight; we oughta have various Seasons for different Weather and to make gardening harder. Varying heights? I don't use that mod just for whatever goofy glitches pop up - I use it for when I Sim real people, usually celebrities, and wanna make said Sim as realistic as possible. I could dive into the rest, but I'll end the "argument" here before it gets even more outta hand.
    >
    > As for open Worlds...like I said, waaaay too many loading screens. I got annoyed with the ones between the neighborhood and whatever household I was playing, or when going into CAS to edit a Sim's wardrobe after they aged up (or I just got tired of what they were wearing); more loading screens every time they travel is just even more annoying. The fact that, whether due to a ton of CC, my laptop being a few Years outta date, or whatever, they take forever to go away and lemme get into my game doesn't help with my annoyance on that.
    >
    > I'd also rather have more customization options in-game than having to go out and find CC to do it because that'd cut down on the amount of CC I have, which slows down my game. It'd also allow for things like creating a Sim with magenta hair that had hot-pink lowlights and a pastel highlight for the sheen. And if I wanted all my furniture to match, I could make it match, but everyone else could have mixmatched, if that's what they wanted. Yeah, it's prolly a weird set of aesthetics, but I'm admittedly a weirdo. *shrugs*
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > @RebelShadowKitten - Those are pretty popular opinions that you've written. I'm sure many would agree with you. The thread is meant to be things that you like that probably a lot of Simmers don't agree with, hence unpopular opinions. For example, someone wrote an unpopular opinion that they enjoyed the game straight from launch. I'd say that's pretty unpopular.

Since I apparently misunderstood this one, I'm gonna drop it and MAYBE do some more research on the unpopular opinions. Only ones I've really heard were that toddlers sucked and shouldn't be brought back (before they were actually added to the game, that is) and the Seasons one.
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    > @agustd said:
    > My unpopular opinions are:
    >
    > 1. I don't get the appeal of seasons. I just don't. Weather is not my priority when it comes to immersion at all and I always found the seasonal gameplay in TS too scripted and repetitive. Snowflake Day? A cute idea until you've taken your sims there so many times it becomes annoying and you'd rather place an ice skating rink on your own lot than have your sims travel to the festival. I honestly hope seasons is NOT the next EP for TS4.
    >
    > 2. I do not want customizable height in future games. Waste of devs' time. We don't need it, at all.
    >
    > 3. ..Just like we don't need pre teens. The most ridiculous idea I've heard from the players in a while. Just no.
    >
    > 4. I do not miss CASt. I'm not against its return, but I personally just couldn't care less, honestly.
    >
    > 5. The mismatched color options for furniture and clothes in game don't bother me. It's not like in real life our outfits are perfectly matched and I actually like the quirky style of slightly mismatched furniture.
    >
    > 6. I don't think Vampires were that good. I'm glad to see people enjoy them but in my opinion they're extremely overhyped.

1. Because without Seasons, you have nothing but repetitive Sunlight EVERY SINGLE DAY. I'd like to be able to have Days where my Sims get a little behind on gardening due to the Weather not cooperating, thus forcing 'em to have a Day spent with family instead.

2. As a user of a customizable height mod...I'm gonna refrain from calling you a plum for the sake of adding more diversity to one's game in getting to have Sims of different heights, "midgets and giants", etc. We can't all agree, but some of us would actually like to have things like that for the sake of challenges or just flat-out seeing the goofy messes our Sims get into from kissing their partner's throat instead of their lips since varying heights aren't currently supported.

3. Maybe we don't need pre-teens, but just because you don't want 'em for your game doesn't mean everybody does. I hadn't even thought of it, but now that that's been put in my head, I wouldn't mind 'em...if they showed more pubescent behavior beyond goofy mood swings that aren't very realistic. Yeah, we'd prolly have to have a mod for something like the girls having menstrual cycles, but whatever; I could live with that if pre-teens and teens both had more than mood swings that weren't even as realistic as a toddler's temper tantrum.

4. Personally, the lack of any customization beyond downloaded recolors in CAS and BB, not to mention the lack of the open Worlds and constant loading screens which, for me, take WAY MORE than a few seconds to get past, irritates the plum outta me. If I want my Sims to have hot-pink hair with lime-green stripes, I wanna do it myself, not wait on a CC creator to finally make a hair with that feature.

5. Not everybody likes matching styles, not everybody likes mismatched styles. Some of us are like me where we could care less if anything matched in Reality (most likely due to a lack of funds to change that), but want everything to match in their Sims' homes and wardrobes as a way of portraying THEMSELVES in the only way they can.

6. I considered getting the Vampires EP at one point. After everything I've heard and read about it, I'm glad I didn't bother wasting the money. C&D seems to be a big enough waste of money at this point, and I wouldn't want the regret of Vamps in my game, especially when they were the only supernatural race to be added, unlike when TS3: Supernatural came out.

And honestly, I could prolly come up with more arguments for various unpopular opinions; I just don't wanna since my hands are starting to hurt from all the cold Weather-typing.

I'll be honest, I didn't even read your post fully. Just skimmed. I see you're new so, just like you refrained from calling me a plum, I'm gonna refrain from being as rude as you and welcome you here - on this forum we like to be nice, polite, respectful, and on topic. You're being none of these. You might want to remember about that in the future.

This is not a thread for easily offended people.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,055 Member
    I think the original poster updated the original post to also include popular opinions that you disagree with. For instance a popular opinion is that we need more large lots. I disagree because I prefer small to medium lots. A popular opinion is that we need terrain tools. Lack of terrain tools is not an issue for me because in prior versions I would always flatten or level my lots.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top