Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So, I Finally Give Up On This Game.

Comments

• Options
    VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    (...) EA tried to let TS4 be a game for creative people who like to create good looking sims and beautiful houses (...)

Yet they greatly limited creative possibilities. No CASt, no terrain tools, no possibility to add more modifiable face areas for modders, limited range of those modifiers... And of course, in TS4 we can create as many beautiful worlds as we want, can’t we? We aren’t stuck with what EA provides, not at all...
    I really think that the game is just made as easy as possible and as shallow as possible, and with sims looking like plastic dolls. Sure, they’re pretty, but too cartoony and too doll-like for my taste. Not a game for me either.
    “Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
    Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Voeille wrote: »
    (...) EA tried to let TS4 be a game for creative people who like to create good looking sims and beautiful houses (...)

Yet they greatly limited creative possibilities. No CASt, no terrain tools, no possibility to add more modifiable face areas for modders, limited range of those modifiers... And of course, in TS4 we can create as many beautiful worlds as we want, can’t we? We aren’t stuck with what EA provides, not at all...
    I really think that the game is just made as easy as possible and as shallow as possible, and with sims looking like plastic dolls. Sure, they’re pretty, but too cartoony and too doll-like for my taste. Not a game for me either.

My words exactly.

TS4 is not really a game that players can build up themselves. You are playing someone else's rules.

You create some things.

You control other things.

You rule in other games...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Evil_One wrote: »
    I must confess I didn't and still don't like TS3, it was shallow compared to TS2 and unstable... But at least they did TRY to do something new with TS3 in making it open world, with TS4 they didn't even bother to try.
    Yes they did although I agree because I am a gamer myself who don't care about looks. But they just chose to make TS4 into a game which is about nothing else but looks and which therefore only is a game for people who like to create special looks. TS4 is about creating and admiring the looks and watching your sims instead of controlling them very much.

I don't like this even though I would like to try all the GPs and EPs shortly. Just not enough to actually buy them because I know that I would only "play" them for at most an hour and then probably never use them again. SPs I wouldn't even care to open one simple time. So even though EA tried to let TS4 be a game for creative people who like to create good looking sims and beautiful houses it still isn't a game for me at all ;)
    I can see the "sharing designs" angle being part of EA's new marketing direction. Such a game would generate its own word of mouth and influencer marketing. It would also have fit in well with John Riccitello's enthusiasm for social media in gaming, without directly being a Facebook game.

Less money wasted on traditional ad campaigns ("Weirder Stories" / "You Rule") that end up coming off somewhere between silly and stultifying is always a good thing.
    EA stopped the Sims Social because even though this Facebook game was popular it didn't give EA a profit. So it is not just about being social!

The problem with the Sims games is that they are a mixture of design tools and a real game. It seems to me that it is mainly the design tools and the "stuff" that most simmers care most about. Therefore EA has given TS4 less and more simple gameplay than ever before - most expansion are just SPs because SPs sell so extremely well - and half of the EPs are now just smaller GPs too. But even though I don't like this new development at all I still can't blame EA because the "fault" is made by the millions of simmers who buy more stuff and more SPs than they buy the expensive EPs. So EA just give people what the majority seems to want - which is more stuff and easier and more simple gameplay where the sims mainly just party, flirt and woohoo on their own. There alas isn't a thing we can do to change it.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @dontmindme Good points and welcome to the forums :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    TaranTaran Posts: 167 Member
    We are all going to give up on this game...
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited November 2016
    Taran wrote: »

Meh. There are plenty who enjoy it. There are plenty who don't but support it by buying everything that comes out for it out of loyalty. I believe those who give up are those who've already given up. Some will lose interest from this point onward. But I don't feel it takes more than 2 years to realize a game is no good. Faith may take a little longer, but even then, I like to give people credit in feeling they already know what they feel and haven't come to terms with it yet. I could be wrong about everything too.

I'm not saying that anyone who genuinely enjoys the game is wrong. I'm just saying that those who are unhappy have already given up, even if they haven't come to terms with it yet. Potential can only carry a person so far.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »

Meh. There are plenty who enjoy it. There are plenty who don't but support it by buying everything that comes out for it out of loyalty. I believe those who give up are those who've already given up. Some will lose interest from this point onward. But I don't feel it takes more than 2 years to realize a game is no good. Faith may take a little longer, but even then, I like to give people credit in feeling they already know what they feel and haven't come to terms with it yet. I could be wrong about everything too.

I'm not saying that anyone who genuinely enjoys the game is wrong. I'm just saying that those who are unhappy have already given up, even if they haven't come to terms with it yet. Potential can only carry a person so far.
    wow interesting posts here

i really agree about the bold part and for me this is the big problem and what allow companies like EA and developers like MAXIS do whatever they want without have to worry about things going bad, cuz they know which a big part of they customers are fierce loyal customers which in most part will gonna buy it anyway, they liking it or no and they aways gonna have a "safe" marge of profit over it enough to keep doing ot over and over as long no competition and customers desesperated need of this production still happening.

honestely from a "good customer"(which don't buy anything without first check if the thing is really good) and gamer point of view this sort of gamer of customer is somehow a "bad" thing for customer side and a good thing for Company side" and this is what make bad companies moves like "pre-order", over board microtransations", games being sold in "parts", releasing game in half(full of bugs missing content) and lack of content, happen a lot, because they know which they gonna still get something.

Things only gonna change in the day which that sort of "customer" somehow vanish or learn and finally make the companies reviews theys works and stop do all that bad things but as long the amount of peoples "paying for anything" still a thing not many things gonna change in the end.
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    urygauryga Posts: 559 Member
    edited November 2016
    I gave them a chance, they have proven to me that they Just don't care at all.
    They can not be Trusted with any games they make, they are just not trustworthy anymore.

Instead of being able to make my sims my way, my world and neighborhoods and my story's.
    They make it so we have to follow their way of game play.

No matter what personality trait you choose, they all behave the same, so there are no slobs, no neat, ect. they are all the same.
    City Living is just Bug after Bugs, and a lot of the other add on now are buggy. get to work, ect.

They are going a way that is NOT the sims, its play's like some console style game or a phone app and not the sims on pc.
    They have proven to me that I can not trust them anymore.

I gave them 15 years and the last 4 years they have destroyed all the joy and my wallet's alot lighter for a bunch of alpha games.

I would of loved to buy Battlefield 1, but it's really not worth the risk anymore, I just don't trust them.
    They have lied to us to many times.

Going back to the sims 3, play it your way.
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    I think EA are going to milk the loyalty factor for all its worth and then retire the Sims for good. They won't inject reasonable money into it anymore, EA is a "boys club" now and these peripheral game cash cow are only good until their milk runs dry.
  • Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    I'm sorry, I gave this game a chance. Bought it on June 17th 2016, gave up October 17th 2016.

So, why did I give up on this game after just 4 months?

Quite simply, it's because I don't have anything left to do. I've tried everything there is to try. The only things I enjoyed were the new face-moulding tools and the retail system in GTW. Everything else was just a checklist of "Click this fruit 5 times, and get an emotional boost".

However, even though that's what eventually drove me to go back to TS3, I'm still not sure what it is that Sims 4 does so badly that it bores me. In fact, no. It doesn't bore me, it just doesn't feel absorbing and fun. It just feels like a mindless time-killer rather than a game. I'm so annoyed though, because I can't put my finger on what the game does so wrong. I've pretty much concluded that there is one thing that kills the experience, but it's just impossible to find. I CAN'T work it out. I've listened to everyone else's reasons, and they're completely right that those reasons kill the quality of the game, but I don't think anyone has yet found what the draining factor is. And I use the word draining because that's exactly what it feels like when I play Sims 4. It feels draining.

Anyway, I'll likely still be active on the forums, but I definitely will no longer be playing Sims 4.

Sorry but this is neither insightful, nor fair to this wonderful game. The Sims 4 is like the earlier versions of the game totally depending on your fantasy and will to explore and eventually experiment. As a regular player of all 4 versions, I find The sims 4 the best of them all. Playing it every day, and it leaves me speechless for all the possibilities, and we are still getting more.

4 months? You must be kidding, and you think you have tried it all? did you explore all the hidden places? Did you send your scientist through the wormhole or having a male sim abducted and pregnant? Have you played with same sex sims, one being able to impregnant the other, and the other being able to get pregnant? Have you tried resourrecting the two wonderful ghosts north of Windenburg and play with them? They have a lot to tell you, and shows you a totally other side of the game.

Have your sims been running a restaurant? Become a super musician? Have you played a robber or a king? Well, and there is much more like haveing an orphanage and a university. OK, I simply don't believe, you have tried "everything".
    Whether or not they actually tried everything isnt up for debate because you shouldn't be implying someone is lying to make their point, it's rude.

I'm willing to bet even if they didn't try everything, they tried enough things to realize that any situation you put your sim in is the same because all sims act and play the exact same. Nothing you do with them effects ANYTHING in the world. There is no way to touch or change the world in a meaningful way in this game and that is one of it's biggest problems. I suspect it's why many ppl find the game draining because you put in all this effort to set up households, families, relationships, bakeries, schools, gyms, clubs etc and none of it matters. The worst thing is the fact that culling hasn't even been addressed. The game will undo any and all hard work without prejudice.

And I don't like to be called "rude". Where in my post did I write anything about lying? Please don't read between the lines! Not being able to believe that someone has tried it all, is NOT the same thing as calling that person a liar (in my book). :(

Everything you do is the same. Having a sim who is a king has the exact same gameplay as having a sim who is a musician. It's just a never-ending cycle of Eat, Party, Sleep, Eat, Party, Sleep.
    Mendota wrote: »
    The so called events, and rabbit holes instead of real places that you went into also left me cold.

This is a myth that I see commonly, and I'd just like to debunk it. You see, Sims 4 has more rabbit-holes that Sims 3 does. The only difference is that Sims 3 has buildings that your sims go into, whereas Sims 4 just has your sims disappear from their home lot. So, actually, Sims 4 has an even worse version of rabbit-holes. There is not a single open building in the Sims 4 Base that was a rabbit-hole in Sims 3.

Sorry, not a myth. I played the wrenched game when it came out. After Sims 2 is was a horrid experience. Let go out somewhere to eat, oh look a rabbit hole and now a status bar telling me how long my sim would disappear. Oh boy what fun. I can play sims 4 for hours and not deal with any rabbit holes, except when the kids go to school, and not even then if I use Zebu's mod. There was no way to mod out the rabbit holes in Sims 3.

• Options
  • Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    sportgal18 wrote: »

4 months? You must be kidding, and you think you have tried it all? did you explore all the hidden places? Did you send your scientist through the wormhole or having a male sim abducted and pregnant? Have you played with same sex sims, one being able to impregnant the other, and the other being able to get pregnant? Have you tried resourrecting the two wonderful ghosts north of Windenburg and play with them? They have a lot to tell you, and shows you a totally other side of the game.

Have your sims been running a restaurant? Become a super musician? Have you played a robber or a king? Well, and there is much more like haveing an orphanage and a university. OK, I simply don't believe, you have tried "everything".

Wow. I've been playing this game for 18 months and I didn't realize you could have a university or become a king. Tell me, who attends this university you can apparently have in your game -- the teen sims, the young adult sims who look and function exactly like a teen sim except they can woohoo, get married, and work in one of 13 careers (still one less than what's available in TS3 base game and we're two years and two expansion packs, three game packs and 42 stuff packs into TS4, but hey, given that Star Wars costumes were available in-game before a business career path, I guess we should count our blessings, eh?), or the adult sims who are exactly like young adult sims except for ... actually, no, they're just exactly like young adult sims. Can you go to classes with your sims at this university? Do they have term papers or final exams or ever have to pull all-nighters to get their homework done in time? Can you choose a major, or is there only one? Does the chosen major benefit your sim when the sim graduates university and decides to join one of the few career options available in the game? Does the university exist in one of the current worlds, or is it a new one?

And this "king" concept you're talking about ... how do kings work in TS4? Who are their subjects? How do you become king? Do other sims have to bow at their feet? Are there such things as revolutions if your king is an omnipotent jerk? Are there peasants in TS4?

If only I had known about features like these, maybe I wouldn't be as disappointed to see a franchise I had enjoyed since 2000 become a cardboard caricature of itself in version 4.

It is called building your own world (not having to have everything done for you) and using your own imagination. I used Newcrest in my game to build a university. It is not hard to do. I built dorms, and then I build various lots for them to attend classes. I use the library venue for the lots and made a university club for the students. They go to class and do all the university things. As for choosing a major that is for you to decide and skill them accordingly. Trust me it is much better than that so called university in Sims 3 where you had to hope the sim wouldn't get stuck. I also have a monarchy system of government in my game, yes with a Queen and her family.

Your post is mocking, and just because you are disappointed doesn't mean that you have the right to take it out on others. What does that say about you as a person?
  • Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    I'm sorry, I gave this game a chance. Bought it on June 17th 2016, gave up October 17th 2016.

Quite simply, it's because I don't have anything left to do. I've tried everything there is to try. The only things I enjoyed were the new face-moulding tools and the retail system in GTW. Everything else was just a checklist of "Click this fruit 5 times, and get an emotional boost".

However, even though that's what eventually drove me to go back to TS3, I'm still not sure what it is that Sims 4 does so badly that it bores me. In fact, no. It doesn't bore me, it just doesn't feel absorbing and fun. It just feels like a mindless time-killer rather than a game. I'm so annoyed though, because I can't put my finger on what the game does so wrong. I've pretty much concluded that there is one thing that kills the experience, but it's just impossible to find. I CAN'T work it out. I've listened to everyone else's reasons, and they're completely right that those reasons kill the quality of the game, but I don't think anyone has yet found what the draining factor is. And I use the word draining because that's exactly what it feels like when I play Sims 4. It feels draining.

Anyway, I'll likely still be active on the forums, but I definitely will no longer be playing Sims 4.

Sorry but this is neither insightful, nor fair to this wonderful game. The Sims 4 is like the earlier versions of the game totally depending on your fantasy and will to explore and eventually experiment. As a regular player of all 4 versions, I find The sims 4 the best of them all. Playing it every day, and it leaves me speechless for all the possibilities, and we are still getting more.

Whether or not they actually tried everything isnt up for debate because you shouldn't be implying someone is lying to make their point, it's rude.

I'm willing to bet even if they didn't try everything, they tried enough things to realize that any situation you put your sim in is the same because all sims act and play the exact same. Nothing you do with them effects ANYTHING in the world. There is no way to touch or change the world in a meaningful way in this game and that is one of it's biggest problems. I suspect it's why many ppl find the game draining because you put in all this effort to set up households, families, relationships, bakeries, schools, gyms, clubs etc and none of it matters. The worst thing is the fact that culling hasn't even been addressed. The game will undo any and all hard work without prejudice.

And I don't like to be called "rude". Where in my post did I write anything about lying? Please don't read between the lines! Not being able to believe that someone has tried it all, is NOT the same thing as calling that person a liar (in my book). :(

Everything you do is the same. Having a sim who is a king has the exact same gameplay as having a sim who is a musician. It's just a never-ending cycle of Eat, Party, Sleep, Eat, Party, Sleep.
    The so called events, and rabbit holes instead of real places that you went into also left me cold.

This is a myth that I see commonly, and I'd just like to debunk it. You see, Sims 4 has more rabbit-holes that Sims 3 does. The only difference is that Sims 3 has buildings that your sims go into, whereas Sims 4 just has your sims disappear from their home lot. So, actually, Sims 4 has an even worse version of rabbit-holes. There is not a single open building in the Sims 4 Base that was a rabbit-hole in Sims 3.

Sorry, not a myth. I played the wrenched game when it came out. After Sims 2 is was a horrid experience. Let go out somewhere to eat, oh look a rabbit hole and now a status bar telling me how long my sim would disappear. Oh boy what fun. I can play sims 4 for hours and not deal with any rabbit holes, except when the kids go to school, and not even then if I use Zebu's mod. There was no way to mod out the rabbit holes in Sims 3.

all sims 4 base games also are rabit hole and in the same way you have "mods" to deal with it in sims 4 you have in sims 3 just do a proper search the same guiy which made a mod for sims 4 made for sims 3 too.
    currently i found a very good school mod(only for teen) which allow you play at a real school with teacher/principal and janitor jobs(which you can enroll your sims to work) then don't say things you are not sure or not did a proper search and even in the case of the "restaurant rabitholle have a mod which turn it a little open for the peoples which are "eating", again in the same way as sims 4 just look for the right mod.
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    I think EA are going to milk the loyalty factor for all its worth and then retire the Sims for good. They won't inject reasonable money into it anymore, EA is a "boys club" now and these peripheral game cash cow are only good until their milk runs dry.
    Very true. It looks like BioWare is now under attack. For a while, EA prided BioWare as a very progressive label of theirs, and now they're absorbing them and Maxis into EA Worldwide Studios. I remember Andy Wilson wanted to increase the proportion of revenues from mobile.

Meanwhile, dude-bro studios like EA Sports and DICE get the big budgets. It helps that Battlefield is the Pepsi to Call of Duty's Coca-Cola, the eternal underdog, so EA needs to invest in it to keep the brand from withering. It also helps that EA needs to give Star Wars the best it can, lest Disney yank it away from them. As big and bad as EA is, Disney is still bigger and badder.
    I don't buy it because EA needs millions of customers to pay the salaries to the about 200 developers who are working on TS4 and its expansions. But while I agree that there are a few hundred veteran Sims fans in this forum who still buy the games out of loyalty this doesn't really matter for EA because they are way too few to pay even one percent of the developers' salaries.

What EA needs instead is to make millions of new casual gamers interested in the Sims games and I actually think that this works quite well because all those new simmers don't compare TS4 with the previous Sims games. They are probably about as happy for TS4 as millions of other "new" simmers were when TS1 was released 16 yrs ago.

I also don't think that other games usually have even as many developers working on them as the 200 developers who work on TS4 and its expansions all the time.
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    edited November 2016
    No they pulled the plug on Sim City, even it's proven legacy wasn't enough for EA to keep it on the books. EA concentrates on sports and games with 'plosions. It doesn't need the few remaining millions, maybe even just a few thousands, still lingering from The Sims franchises they've already got enough in the mobile division (a game S4 was probably destined to become). I think EA is cashing in on the bigger games with bigger budgets allotted to them. Even the CEO is Australian and thats a sports mad country
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Only then? Did you ever buy any additions? I can play Sims 3 for an entire generation - except for school and the city hall obviously - without going into one. I can't in Sims 4, I just simply can't. Only when I just play one sim.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    No they pulled the plug on Sim City, even it's proven legacy wasn't enough for EA to keep it on the books. EA concentrates on sports and games with 'plosions. It doesn't need the few remaining millions, maybe even just a few thousands, still lingering from The Sims franchises they've already got enough in the mobile division (a game S4 was probably destined to become). I think EA is cashing in on the bigger games with bigger budgets allotted to them. Even the CEO is Australian and thats a sports mad country
    According to EA both the Sims and the SimCity will continue to be developed in the studios in Redwood Shores, Salt Lake City, Helsinki and Melbourne after the studio in Emeryville was closed in 2015.

You don't understand anything about big business if you really believe that any big company doesn't need as many millions of dollars as it can possibly earn ;)
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited November 2016
    Voeille wrote: »
    Despite my initial disappointment with TS3 I did play it during its years because the good things about it outweighed the bad. However, I complained a lot, and wanted the game to improve. TS4 made me appreciate the good things about TS3 even more, and care less about the bad. I already regarded TS2 as the most polished before, but thanks to TS4 I see it more and I play the game the most often when I feel like simming. It’s great, and it should be an example for future sims games, or a competitor.

This is sort of what is starting to happen to me. Sort of...

I am still waiting to see Seasons and Pets, and I still am bothered by some of "the bad" parts of Sims 3, lol.

However, I am appreciating Sims 3 more and more, due to the disappointments of 4, though I still have to add more mods for 3 to really enjoy it, and I still don't outright LOVE it so far. (I still feel penalized by both Sims 3 and 4 games in various ways.)

I do appreciate the new features it introduced to the sims series and it has some great positives. The series should definitely use it as a springboard on how to progress the series (but improve it in a better way that doesn't automatically penalize players like me with sparse/empty hangout lots in vanilla play).
    Post edited by LatinaBunny on
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member

No, we are NOT all going to give up. I am happily playing The Sims 4 but just dragging my feet at the moment. I am not sure, I want the new expansion City Life, until it has been properly patched. But I can play without it, and it is very fine.