Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Breaking up a marriage of 15 years (I uninstalled the game, it hurts)

Comments

• Options
    IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    Just like the others, I agree 100%. I haven't got much to say bc you covered it all. I really want to love this game, I have from the beginning. But when it's so hard to love, what's the point?
  • Options
    Marieke020Marieke020 Posts: 57 Member
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    So... we the customers have to continuously cycle through cable/internet providers every few months just to be treated decently. I always wonder how much more profitable these entities would be for these "captains of industry" if they just treated their customers decently and provided a decent service to begin with.

I think it's the short-term minded, corporatist need to see an immediate profit so somebody on the corporate ladder can take credit... the long-term is no longer important.

I have a cable provider like that. When you're loyal you have to pay more than when you switch constantly.

But in the case of Maxis I still believe they at least try to make quality games.
    It must be frustrating for them too to see all the money involved in gaming flowing to youtube and shady addons with "go" in their name.

Interesting discussion, but this is not really the place for it I guess.
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    Voeille wrote: »
    The positive thing that TS4 did was making me appreciate TS3 more than I used to before. Compared to it TS3 is just completely awesome, and it definitely wasn’t when I compared it to TS2 in 2009.

This statement caught my interest. I find it interesting because I saw an awful lot of people comparing Sims 3 to Sims 2 back in the early days (shortly before the release of Generations, I recall) and they were talking about how much was lacking. There was a lack of family play, the sims were emotionless, they weren't individual.

Yet now, there's an awful lot of people talking about how much is lacking in TS4. There's a lack of family play, the emotions are 'flawed', they're not individual.

It's the pattern that's caught my interest. A lot of people are making direct comparisons to previous iterations of the franchise and I do wonder if that's why so many people want to love Sims 4, as a separate game in its own right but can't because they're catching themselves comparing to previous generations.

Maybe I'm just lucky that I don't do this. I'm not viewing Sims 4 in terms of what isn't there right now...I'm viewing it as a separate entity from Sims 2 and Sims 3. And maybe that's why I enjoy all three games in equal measure and don't find the 'missing features' to be as devastating as others do.

This isn't a criticism of anybody, incidentally. It's just an observation and a bit of musing, I suppose, on whether it's a matter of perception that's causing a lot of discontent. Because I saw the same level of discontent on the Sims 3 forums at around the two year mark and to me, it's a clear and obvious pattern.

Back on topic, sorry to hear you've felt the need to quit the game altogether, OP. Would going back to TS2 or TS3 reignite your enjoyment of those games and bring back the magic for you? I hope so <3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    The reason it caught my interest so much is the fact that the complaints were exactly the same. So many people said there was a lack of family play - yet so many people now are saying that Sims 4 has a lack compared to Sims 3. And these complaints about Sims 3 were before Generations was released, which included lots of family content.
    I wasn't intending the wave aside critique of Sims 4. My opinions differ from many on the forum but it doesn't invalidate either opinion by any means. It was the fact that the complaints were almost identical and at about the same time in the life of the game that I found fascinating.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    The reason it caught my interest so much is the fact that the complaints were exactly the same. So many people said there was a lack of family play - yet so many people now are saying that Sims 4 has a lack compared to Sims 3. And these complaints about Sims 3 were before Generations was released, which included lots of family content.
    I wasn't intending the wave aside critique of Sims 4. My opinions differ from many on the forum but it doesn't invalidate either opinion by any means. It was the fact that the complaints were almost identical and at about the same time in the life of the game that I found fascinating.
    Did the complaints dominate the forums though?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Not really, as I can recall. But then a lot of the complaints were added to existing threads. A lot of the time these days, many people set up their own threads for their gripes. I've seen three on the first page or so in this forum about the relationship culling alone. Which *could* contribute to the sheer number of threads with gripes and disappointments.

Just my opinion. Like I said, it's not a criticism. Just an observation from my point of view :)
  • Options
    VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
    @MissyHissy
    For me and for some other people who played other sims games (only some people, not all of them of course) the problem is expectations. After TS2 I expected a lot from TS3; it disappointed me with respect to various things, but as I mentioned it provided many things I liked, so I kept playing and getting mods and CC for the game to enhance it and fix things that EA did wrong.

I had even more expectations with respect to the fourth iteration. I expected the best from older sims games joined together, with a little new twist to make things feel fresh, and graphics for 2014 standards. I saw nothing like that. When I saw the first renders from TS4, I just couldn’t believe. How could those terrible plastic creatures be new sims? The art style is definitely not my cup of tea, I expected more realistic direction, like in TS Medieval, I really loved those detailed textures and the style in general, and expected something of that taste in TS4. Instead I got a plastic-fantastic universe. And then we started getting more info about gameplay, and it was another disappointment. No open world? No CASt, my favourite tool from TS3? No terrain tools? Is it really the new and shiny TS4, or are we just fooled? That what I was thinking shortly before release. Will it be the same with TS5? Probably, however it’s hard to believe that they could make something worse and even less congruent with my wishes than TS4, so maybe I should stay hopeful. However, I don’t think EA can make a simulation game of my dreams, which in short would be graphics as realistic as possible and gameplay as supernatural as possible, where magic is a part of day to day life. That would be a nice escape from reality to a virtual world for a few hours :)
    “Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
    Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited September 2016
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    Not really, as I can recall. But then a lot of the complaints were added to existing threads. A lot of the time these days, many people set up their own threads for their gripes. I've seen three on the first page or so in this forum about the relationship culling alone. Which *could* contribute to the sheer number of threads with gripes and disappointments.

Just my opinion. Like I said, it's not a criticism. Just an observation from my point of view :)

I was a longtime simmer who didn't like Sims 3, and I was aware of the forums and have looked on the forums for solutions for bugs and NRAAS mods, but I never made any threads to complain about it or provide feedback (because it seems like, to me, even back then, EA didn't really listen to feedback much).

I like to go on game forums more for the bug fixes and to see people's screenshots or get advice for gameplay and help, etc. (Or anticipating the new whatever pack/DLC.)

ETA: Anyway, here's to hoping that Sims 4 improves, a better Sims 5 is made (to appeal to multiple playstyles) in the future, or a great sim game from a competitor arrrives one day...
    Post edited by LatinaBunny on
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    Marieke020 wrote: »
    I don't have the illusion that a developer will read this post. And I do not intend to start a discussion. I just felt the need to explain why I uninstalled the game.

This was a difficult thing for me to do. I play the Sims for 15 years and it used to be the only game that could keep me interested and I didn't even feel the need to try other games. I played it a lot and the game was an important part of my life.

Sims 4 changed this. For the very first time my love for the game faded. Instead I got disappointment upon disappointment, I got annoyed by it, stopped playing and now I reached the point that I lost all faith in improvement.
    In a marriage the only sensible thing left to do is breaking up.

So where did it go wrong?
    Well it feels a bit like the Sims went to plastic surgery for a younger look, but had to pay this with their soul.

Unlike others I don't think adding seasons, pets or toddlers would make the game a better game. It's the heart of the game that fails.

The game turned in a kind of interactive movie where you can influence the animations that are played on screen. As a player you can change the looks of the cast and the setting (in a very limited way) and then watch this repetitive cycle of animations in the order you choose. And then try to keep the illusion when a white screen appears when changing sets.

There is no real gameplay involved like in previous editions of the Sims.
    Well you can win awards for checking off boxes that say "play this animation 50 times".
    And a player can still collect things. But collecting things doesn't matter at all. You can display your collection for a different setting and that's it. When growing a perfect fruit doesn't influence your food or nectar, why bother.

I tried, really. I tried to challenge myself to get all achievements. Even the 100 generations one. This was a true torture. Until this day I wonder why I pushed myself to play while I was completely bored with what I was doing. Addiction maybe, for old times sake?

Fortunately I found an new love where I feel as passionate about as I used to be with the Sims (Minecraft) and I hope they can keep my attention for as long as 15 years.

Thank you Sims, for all those good years in the past, but it's time to go.

I agree, time for you to move on. I don't really know why people such as you feel the need to post these things, but oh well. I gave up on Sims 3, but I didn't feel the need to make some long post about it. These type of posts only come down to one thing... Because you didn't like it, you want to insist that there is something wrong with it. I have played all the Sims games and I like 4 the best of them all. Does that make me right and you wrong? No, and you are not "right" either. I wonder why you pushed yourself as well, because I certainly let go of Sims 3 in a hurry.

As far as the food is concerned, better produce does make better food, so I don't know what you mean there. There is no nectar making at this time so... Also, for my farming sims better produce sells for more money. So those comments of yours don't really hold weight. All of the Sims games had repetitive actions. In Sims 2, having to read skill books all night in order to advance in careers drove me nuts, so I used a mod. In Sims 4 at least making painting, and filling business reports is more realist and more fun for me. I never was into "collecting" that was introduced in Sims 3. As far as I was concerned, if I wanted to play a role playing, collecting game I would. I found the gameplay in Sims 3 to be very lacking, wondering around in the open world with it's rabbit holes....boring! The few community lots empty... total fail! So you see there are different ways of looking at everything.

• Options
    PirateJandcatsPirateJandcats Posts: 635 Member
    I do wonder what it is about TS4. I didn't really do adventures and stuff in TS3, just made my sims, made my house and created a long line of decendents. In TS4 I do the same but it's not the same. I used to play for months on end but sims 4 I usually get bored after a week. I was pretty addicted to TS3,making up stories but TS4 has made me try other games. I wondered if I had grown out of the sims but I think from all I've read, the sims has become childish. There's not really any creativity, design is stuck to what we have, there's no age groups, emotions mean nothing, everyone is constantly happy, not many jobs and while we have restaurants and movement between towns they all look the same. I think you are right OP. Sometimes I read that not everyone liked TS3 but I don't remember ppl quitting except when that one EP broke the game for some, including me...omg I spent months making that work again with wrappers etc haha. Annoyingly I can't go back because what TS4 does have is better CAS (everyone looked like they were European in TS3 even when you went to China) and I can't go back to worse graphics ;-;
  • Options
    AlisonCuteSimsAlisonCuteSims Posts: 165 Member
    This is exactly how I feel & like many, I have transferred back to TS3. :)
    3dd20d8220bdc70e9490da5f62974d35.gif
  • Options
    simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    To all those who have become disillusioned by this pixellated mass of barely adequate gameplay (and talking toilets) I send my sympathies. I am pleased to see this thread is still alive and well as well. I am a jaded sort myself that really cannot be bothered to show a lot of interest in TS4 but like @bekkasan and so many others have said, this is a place for everyone to share their thoughts.
    It just seems like more and more people are becoming disillusioned by TS4 and EA's promises of a better tomorrow. They come to the forum hoping for a shred of comfort only to see that so many others have done the same and the light at the end of the tunnel dims all the more. Maybe someday this game will improve.
    Maybe peace will return to the forum.

Maybe simians will fly out a human's posterior.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    Kurotard wrote: »
    This too breaks my heart. I've played this game series. A lot. It's my go-to game when depression and anxiety are too much for me and the quirkiness of the games always helped me in my lowest times. But The Sims 4 feels like this disconnect from the charm of the three previous games. Don't get me wrong, The Sims 4 looks nice and runs well, but a polished plum is still a plum regardless. I'll just be sticking with The Sims 2/3. I agree with the points you make absolutely.

Normally I don't mention this here for obvious reasons but you said that you have some depression well I'm going through a lot of it myself and I can only reach my heart out to you hoping that you can someday feel fully recovered. I want to do the same but I think you can imagine how that's not easy. And I even agree with The Sims 4 such so that I myself uninstalled it. I lost like liiterally seven hours of from my last gaming session from starting sim life in Starlight Shores to going to Al Simhara and I lost myself in it and it distracts you from your negative thoughts but Sims 4 only makes me feel worst cause it's made for EA's way not our way. I don't want the game telling me what to do with limitations on top of that....so yes my game is un installed and back to The Sims 3
  • Options
    simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    Why this wasn't added to the breakup thread I will never know.
    :o
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    Sorry to hear.

I actually enjoy this game, though I do take breaks from it at times because I do that with literally every game I play, but I do know the feeling of seeing a franchise you love go downhill for you. It is very disappointing to look back on how great something was in the past, only to be disappointed to see where it ended up in the present. For me, Star Wars Battlefront and Banjo-Kazooie are the main franchises that give me this feeling.

Hopefully Minecraft will fill the void for you. There are many great mods/communities out there to expand the longevity of the game (I loved the OreSpawn and Pixelmon mods for it). I haven't played it much in the last few years, but it's definitely a fun game.
  • Options
    12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    Why this wasn't added to the breakup thread I will never know.
    :o
    Believe me! I miss hip hop and R&B, I miss celebrity system, and I miss every features in The Sims 4. Look I hate weird things, but I like you, but I will not die at this game.

• Options
    shadowiciashadowicia Posts: 591 Member
    Not saying this is you OP but half the people who say they're done with the Sims 4 are the ones who rush on origin to preorder the new packs..This is a fact.
  • Options
    12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    shadowicia wrote: »
    Not saying this is you OP but half the people who say they're done with the Sims 4 are the ones who rush on origin to preorder the new packs..This is a fact.
    No no no, my trait in my simself, I'm a Music Lover and I'm Hot-Headed. Please! We couldn't done it without you! City Living's radio station is Cultural!