Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Breaking up a marriage of 15 years (I uninstalled the game, it hurts)

I don't have the illusion that a developer will read this post. And I do not intend to start a discussion. I just felt the need to explain why I uninstalled the game.

This was a difficult thing for me to do. I play the Sims for 15 years and it used to be the only game that could keep me interested and I didn't even feel the need to try other games. I played it a lot and the game was an important part of my life.

Sims 4 changed this. For the very first time my love for the game faded. Instead I got disappointment upon disappointment, I got annoyed by it, stopped playing and now I reached the point that I lost all faith in improvement.
In a marriage the only sensible thing left to do is breaking up.

So where did it go wrong?
Well it feels a bit like the Sims went to plastic surgery for a younger look, but had to pay this with their soul.

Unlike others I don't think adding seasons, pets or toddlers would make the game a better game. It's the heart of the game that fails.

The game turned in a kind of interactive movie where you can influence the animations that are played on screen. As a player you can change the looks of the cast and the setting (in a very limited way) and then watch this repetitive cycle of animations in the order you choose. And then try to keep the illusion when a white screen appears when changing sets.

There is no real gameplay involved like in previous editions of the Sims.
Well you can win awards for checking off boxes that say "play this animation 50 times".
And a player can still collect things. But collecting things doesn't matter at all. You can display your collection for a different setting and that's it. When growing a perfect fruit doesn't influence your food or nectar, why bother.

I tried, really. I tried to challenge myself to get all achievements. Even the 100 generations one. This was a true torture. Until this day I wonder why I pushed myself to play while I was completely bored with what I was doing. Addiction maybe, for old times sake?

Fortunately I found an new love where I feel as passionate about as I used to be with the Sims (Minecraft) and I hope they can keep my attention for as long as 15 years.

Thank you Sims, for all those good years in the past, but it's time to go.

Comments

• Options
    Marieke020Marieke020 Posts: 57 Member
    Marieke020 wrote: »

I'm sorry you feel like you can't enjoy the series anymore and have to walk away. I enjoyed reading your feedback and hope the devs take note because you're right, the core does fail.

Thank you. But I don't think commitment is something that will interest the Developers. There is no subscription fee, there is no money of advertisers who care about the amount of players that actually play. They can only earn money with selling new copies of the game. So it makes sense they aim to a young audience with cute animations.
  • Options
    OMGiLoveIceCreamOMGiLoveIceCream Posts: 603 Member
    Minecraft is my favorite game! Been playing it since Alpha, it is really fun. :)
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Minecraft is my favorite game! Been playing it since Alpha, it is really fun. :)

I only play since a year and it is everything I want from a game. I like it that they added Lama's and that you can do some Cas by adding glasses to them. It must be a reference to the Sims :)

I wished there was a game that had the best elements of both in them.
  • Options
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    I think you really summed up the way a lot of people may be feeling, especially Simmers who have been with it since the begining.

Thomas Wolfe says you can never go back, and I suppose he's right in that you'll never fully recapture the sense of discovery and wonder you had when you played the Sims for the very first time.

Just take heart in knowing that no matter how long it takes those little guys will always be on call for you to pay them a visit, and maybe fix a broken toilet or two.

Thank you for making me smile.
    Your last line could have been written by SimguruGnome dressed up as the Social Bunny on a secret mission to hug sad players.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

if EA & the devs don't care for players quitting like this
    then what more is there to say

I fully understand why it's not important to them. It's not people who stick to a game that buy new games, it's those who get bored.
    I know I did, in my search for a new game to dedicate to I bought lots of plum, while I didn't even know what games were on the market when I loved the Sims.
    It makes me sad for the future of gaming and when you would have asked me a year ago I would have thought a subscription fee would be ridiculous, but now I think it might help to improve quality,
  • Options
    uo_aaronjduo_aaronjd Posts: 425 Member
    Agree with you 100% and feel exactly the same way....although i just cant bring myself to uninstall Sims 4, you are stronger than I am
    For now im happy hanging with my Sims 3 and watching what happens with Sims 4
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
  • Options
    uo_aaronjd wrote: »
    Agree with you 100% and feel exactly the same way....although i just cant bring myself to uninstall Sims 4, you are stronger than I am
    uo_aaronjd wrote: »

Yes, it was hard. And it took me a while to set myself to do it. I think the new content was the last straw "oh no, not another set of animations and no interesting gameplay" that made me do it.
    And I'm still mourning, refreshing this page, comforting myself with the comments, while I meant to type one post and sneak away.
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    I am so sorry that you feel that you have to Leave the Sims, I have kept My Sims 2 & 3 on My comp so when I do get bored with 4, I can go back to them, EA and Maxis has until the end of this year to start getting items and chars in the game that I want as well, cause for Me that is the deal breaker, if not then I to may be leaving and just play the Sims 1,2, & 3. yes I have Sims 1 as well, just not on My comp , but without the Sims 4 I just might re-add that one also, Again so sorry you had to go, I do hope you change your mind in the future and come back, if I leave I might come back if the game gets better, yup for now I am keeping the faith, :).
  • Options
    Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Marieke020 wrote: »
    Movotti wrote: »
    I agree with you that TS4 is severely lacking.

But that's no reason to completely give up on the sims.

I still play Sims3 sometimes, I totally love to achieve a basement full of tiberium, using transfiguration with collectables and perfect aged nectar. And then tinkering for hours with cast for a perfect display. And all of this was already possible with the first EP.

I might be interested in a new generation when there is some grinding for survival involved.
    But I learned my lesson and will not buy it at once, I must be really convinced before I commit again.

I know the feeling but I already got it, when the Sims 3 was completely ruined and never got properly patched. After the big disappointment The Sims 3 Island Paradise was for me, also been playing since the early Sims 1 days, I was about to give up, and I had learned my lesson. so I waited for several months before I thought W T.... and bought the Sims 4 base game and Outdoor Retreat. I had in mind that the developers had said: This is a whole NEW way of playing the Sims, and after being a bit disappointed with the small surroundings in Willow Creek, I fell in love with the game. The Sims 4 has convinced me by a much better and faster gameplay, a very wonderful graphic all over and sims so full of fun, feelings and soul. I could never wish for anything better. Now I am so happy playing that I never was before.
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Op I love this and I agree. I wish I could say enough is enough and uninstall. I still, sadly, have an inch of faith they can still live up to their potential. Though I dont play often, I still keep it installed just in case. But like another person said its tiring to fight and I dont have it in me anymore. I mainly just linger now and have noticed a lot of ppl have left the forums. I dont blame them maybe I should do that same. Until then my main games are ts3 and 2
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
    I understand you too, TS4 is my biggest disappointment. I was disappointed in TS3 too, because I missed a lot of things in TS2, but the game provided enough other things to keep me interested, and it didn’t feel like it had a certain ‘vision’ that ruined the genre of the game.

I slowly started to play more different games near the end of the TS3 lifespan, and it increased with time. When I feel like simming I go back to TS2, sometimes TS3 (sadly TS1 doesn’t want to work properly on my computer), but it’s not my most often played game any more.

The positive thing that TS4 did was making me appreciate TS3 more than I used to before. Compared to it TS3 is just completely awesome, and it definitely wasn’t when I compared it to TS2 in 2009.
    “Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
    Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile