Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think The Sims 4 = Failure?

Comments

• Options
    ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    bekkasan wrote: »
    SimFan298 wrote: »
    Who brought back this old, bad topic?!

Who brought you into it?

lol...he was the OP.

Haha, oh dear...

And I'm over it :wink:

It's ok. There's quite a few simfans around here; so much so that I have to double check if I'm about to reply to the right one!
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,906 Member
    I haven't bought this game, nor will I, but is this game really that horrible? I'm actually really curious, not trying to start drama or anything, but I really do want to know.

Was it like this when Sims 3 came out? With all the anger and frustration?
  • Options
    Sasquatch_01Sasquatch_01 Posts: 538 Member
    I haven't bought this game, nor will I, but is this game really that horrible? I'm actually really curious, not trying to start drama or anything, but I really do want to know.

No, it's actually a very beautiful product and the majority of complaints are resultant of misunderstanding and lack of support. If you've been playing since previous versions I would encourage you to advance your characters and see how they evolve with the new features and appearances.

And yes, there were as many complaints when The Sims 3 was released as well.
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    edited March 2016
    It's not that bad, I certainly wouldn't say horrible. Your opinion will vary depending on what features it doesn't have, like if you liked open world, toddlers, cars, etc you might find it a bit lacking. The one thing that's really "horrible" about it to me is culling.

Personally I miss toddlers, CASt, cars, and many other things from TS2 and TS3, but it doesn't totally ruin the game for me
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    esharpmajoresharpmajor Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited March 2016

No, it's actually a very beautiful product and the majority of complaints are resultant of misunderstanding and lack of support. If you've been playing since previous versions I would encourage you to advance your characters and see how they evolve with the new features and appearances.

And yes, there were as many complaints when The Sims 3 was released as well.

Rachel? Is that you? :D Jk.

@friendlyone20 Check out the pinned feedback thread about how to fix this game, it lists the majority of what the players feel is still missing from the base game. If you think those issues will not negatively impact your play style then sims 4 may work well for you. I am not uninformed about the game, I have fully explored it and advanced my sims... And I have supported the sims and Maxis since its inception. Unfortunately the removed features directly impact the way I play, and I find I do not enjoy s4 with the exception of CAS.

• Options
    I haven't bought this game

So what are you waiting for? Don't miss the LOVE!

Here are a few examples of how to detect the love bug within your game packages. My methods have been extensively tested and I'm educated in engineering so you can't dispute my conclusion:

03_20_16_7_31_42_PM.png

03_20_16_6_59_59_PM.png

03_20_16_7_14_00_PM.png

• Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    @Sasquatch_01 I'm sorry, I seemed to have missed the point! :disappointed: what do your screenshots illustrate?
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    @Sasquatch_01 I'm sorry, I seemed to have missed the point! :disappointed: what do your screenshots illustrate?

Nothing at all, I just felt like filling page space... carry on.
  • Options
    AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    edited March 2016
    IMO, no, it's not a failure. It didn't 'flop.' That said, it's also quite a disappointment.

People often seem to talk like there's only the two extremes -- the game either has to be a total failure or the best game ever. That's far from reality. TS4 has some good things. But it also lacks a great many things I'd come to expect after the earlier versions. And no, I don't think you can discount the earlier versions and judge TS4 entirely 'on its own merits' -- because it doesn't exist in a vacuum. The earlier Sims games all exist and must be a factor. When I ask myself if it's worth it to buy a game like TS4, I have to consider that I already have the other versions and can play them as much as I please. So yes, it does hurt the current game to drop features that the earlier games had.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • Options
    LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    I actually really like it and here is why:
    1. Sims 3 constantly crashed on my computer and was full of bugs. I love to play Sims for hours when I find time, so it really ruined the fun for me while Sims4 has not crashed once on my computer :)

2. I liked the open world, but Sims 4, especially Windenburg lets you go pretty far without loading screens, unless you want to enter a building (lot). I hated waiting for sims to travel from one space to another, and to me the loading screens are shorter than the traveling time

3. I honestly did not like toddlers. I found they took so much time and for some reason my computer would crash or the sim would be downstairs while the toddler was upstairs when I taught them how to walk.

4. I really enjoy being able to go to different neighborhoods! My sims can all meet and I can create a story with all of them in it!

5. EA gives you free downloads/updates with stuff in it and changes in the game. Sims 3 I found myself paying for a lot of stuff that could have been free

6. The gallery! I suck at building houses and some players are amazing at it! I love that now I don't have to buy from the store with simcoins and all that stuff or find a download that stopped working after each update. Now, I can just go and download it for the right sized lot and it's easy and fast.

7. Of course, I miss a lot of features....but I felt the same when I started Sims 2 or Sims 3, but the excitement when a new expansion pack arrives and the ability to get to know old features in a new way is worth it for me.

8. I LOVE the CAS. Honestly, Sims 3 made it so complicated....and Sims ended up looking odd or the same...all the time. Now my Sims look so completely different from each other and different ethnicities look actually different from each other.

9. Just a few small things: you can come with your Sim to the hospital when she gives birth, you can go on actual dates...it's a lot easier and official, it takes longer to establish a romantic relationship etc.

10. There are more Sims! When I go to a lot...boom there are immediately like 10 Sims. Parties are actual parties now, it's easier to get to know people. In Sims 3 all the places were so empty and dead. you would barely ever meet others. Now Sims from all neighborhoods show up.

Now I play since Sims 1...I like Sims 3, don't get me wrong...but I also like Sims 4 and I enjoy it a lot.
  • Options
    PrincessSaturnPrincessSaturn Posts: 564 Member

How educated of you :tongue:

You should see me when I'm really educated... I start randomly deleting my cache and error reports, then telling engineers that randomly renaming the contents of my save directory is a more accurate method of bug analysis than unpacking, decompiling, and re-scripting the game engine.
  • Options
    I don't care for your actions.
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member

You should see me when I'm really educated... I start randomly deleting my cache and error reports, then telling engineers that randomly renaming the contents of my save directory is a more accurate method of bug analysis than unpacking, decompiling, and re-scripting the game engine.

@Sasquatch_01 Lol... most of us can't do the latter so we do the former. ;) Great post though, made me chuckle! :)
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    If you game, any game, there are those moments in your life when you can't wait to start up that game. Be it at work, in the bathroom, while dining, or on top of Mount Everest. If the game isn't doing that for you, then it's a failure. I can remember days at work back in TS2 days when I would be working very hard but eating away at me in the back of my mind was what I was going to do in my game when I got home from work. It also was the first game to inspire me to 'create' clothes, hair, skins and even try my hand at objects without having one iota of how that was done, but I know I had the desire and did try. It was also the first game where I grew to love building and exploring everything many great builders wrote about of how to do. I didn't do that in TS1 I just played. TS2 broadened my outlook on gaming. I went on to try modding other games, no matter how silly they turned out, and talking with those other type fans about how games are built, how to do things, and even learned from TS2 how to strip down my pcs and replace everything. I think a game that does all that and inspires you to branch out from your comfort zone is more than a game but a tool that allows you to reach deep inside to see what you can do, too.

TS4 does that on one level with building in this game but then it limits your ability to build particular things due to a lack of sculpting tools. If we want to say TS4 is a failure it would depend on what the player had experienced before, and where it allowed them to express that creativity and or if it hampers it. Considering The Sims isn't about just playing but branching out into areas you would never dream you would.

100% in agreement with you.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    If you game, any game, there are those moments in your life when you can't wait to start up that game. Be it at work, in the bathroom, while dining, or on top of Mount Everest. If the game isn't doing that for you, then it's a failure. I can remember days at work back in TS2 days when I would be working very hard but eating away at me in the back of my mind was what I was going to do in my game when I got home from work. It also was the first game to inspire me to 'create' clothes, hair, skins and even try my hand at objects without having one iota of how that was done, but I know I had the desire and did try. It was also the first game where I grew to love building and exploring everything many great builders wrote about of how to do. I didn't do that in TS1 I just played. TS2 broadened my outlook on gaming. I went on to try modding other games, no matter how silly they turned out, and talking with those other type fans about how games are built, how to do things, and even learned from TS2 how to strip down my pcs and replace everything. I think a game that does all that and inspires you to branch out from your comfort zone is more than a game but a tool that allows you to reach deep inside to see what you can do, too.

TS4 does that on one level with building in this game but then it limits your ability to build particular things due to a lack of sculpting tools. If we want to say TS4 is a failure it would depend on what the player had experienced before, and where it allowed them to express that creativity and or if it hampers it. Considering The Sims isn't about just playing but branching out into areas you would never dream you would.

I can remember that feeling. I work at home so it was really tempting. There I sat, at my computer, working......and I knew I had things to do before I would let myself play.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member

Agree with you - I still do this for Sims 3, make little notes to myself of what I want to do when I can actually play. I don't even think about Sims 4, though. Have no desire to load it up, try it again. It was just too much of a disappointment, with too much that I enjoyed still missing.

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2016

Painfully recognizable :D I never climbed the Mount Everest, but I remember one particular holiday, hiking in the Swiss mountains, constantly making up a rough plan for a future story involving my sims and Supernatural (that had been announced but not yet released). I named the villain after a hotel in Saas-Fee :p
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    esharpmajoresharpmajor Posts: 1,055 Member
    Beautifully said, @Cinebar
    That really resonated with me.
  • Options
    AtomicSimmerAtomicSimmer Posts: 1,133 Member
    I don't think the game failed but it sure is a lot smoother and quicker loading then The Sims 3. I also think that SIMS 4 will be it for the sims.
    ATOMICSIMMER
    Sims Fanboy
    Play with Life
  • Options
    I don't think the game failed but it sure is a lot smoother and quicker loading then The Sims 3. I also think that SIMS 4 will be it for the sims.

With a loading screen in each area, I'd sure as hell hope it'd be faster.

I think this might be the end too, as a fan. Unless the next game improves a lot -if it even comes out.
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    Sims 4 could be the death of the Sims series, it certainly feels like it's swan song and if they intend to keep making Sims like 4 then maybe it should be then end of The Sims.
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    Sims 4 could be the death of the Sims series, it certainly feels like it's swan song and if they intend to keep making Sims like 4 then maybe it should be then end of The Sims.

The series will go out with a whimper if SIms 4 is the end of it. Unfortunate for everyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top