Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think The Sims 4 = Failure?

1272829303133...Next

Comments

• mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Mirandanik wrote: »
    TS4 is my favorite game so far! It is way better than all the others and I have been playing Sim things since Sim City 1.....As someone who is "old" lol pushing 40 I have been around to see the games morph into what is now TS4 and I have played all of them pretty much my whole life and this one is by far the best. Is it perfect NO but every one has it quirks and bugs. TS4 is a new game it's not supposed to be just like TS3, TS2, TS1 they all have things that make them different. The way the Sims look in TS4 is MILES above how they looked in TS3 etc. The buy/build mode is unfathomably better than TS3....I tried to go back and play TS3 and I could barely even see the build/buy mode stuff and the micro transactions.... GOOD LORD. I don't wanna pay real money for clothes, build/buy mode stuff. I like the stuff packs way better (although they do need to put more stuff in them IMO) It's still kind of a new game I mean give it time for new expansions/game/stuff packs before you go calling it a "failure" IMO it is FAR from being a failure. It's a GREAT game and I play it often (Over 1k hours so far) The build buy mode AMAZING. the Sims themselves GREAT, expansion packs, GREAT, game play GREAT, also they are so much more in depth than the other games. The teams are very poud of what they have done and they have good reason to be IMO. They do a GREAT job and they do fix a lot of bugs too. Just look at that sly patch they did on the 21st with the Lin-Z patch. I think it's a success personally. I LOVE IT!
    While fully appreciating your enthousiasm, the fact you make such passionate comparisons triggers me to react.
    1. This one is by far the best. As much as you apparently enjoy it, no it’s not, not even a little, let alone by far. You may like the game the best for your own good reasons, but there are too many objective reasons that indicate the opposite. The game has its charms for sure, but it’s more surface than body.
    2. The way the Sims look in TS4 is MILES above how they looked in TS3. Their looks in fact have been a major let down for me from the minute the game was announced and we saw the first trailer. I prefer Sims 3 sims (ánd Sims 2 sims for that matter, who also don’t have my favourite look) over them any time.
    3. The buy/build mode is unfathomably better than TS3....I tried to go back and play TS3 and I could barely even see the build/buy mode stuff and the micro transactions. I’ll post a video about that down below*. The girl in the video nailed it. I have no problem seeing stuff in TS3 build/buy mode by the way, I don’t understand what you mean. Nor do I understand what you mean with having to buy for stuff with real money. Sims 4 costs real money as well and CASt gives you countless more options to design ‘new’ clothes. You’re not referring to Store stuff showing up in the game I hope? Because you can disable that.
    4. Also they are so much more in depth than the other games. You can say a lot about Sims 4, but not that it’s in depth. You get a ready to go, often scripted concept in a set in stone environment and you play. There are no consequences, the sims have no personalities, no memories, their emotions are identical and triggered by auras, not by what’s actually happening to them or social interactions and they simply don’t care about what happens around them. To me it always feels as if they’re acting conversations, without being bothered by what they’re talking about and to whom.

Seeing someone struggling over colours feels nothing less but alienating when you’re still building in Sims 3 I can assure you.

Whats considered the best is subjective. If they think its the best, then it is to them. Just not to you. I think TS2 is best, but I prefer TS4 to TS3 which was an ugly and boring iteration imo. TS4 entertains me more. But that's just me, and not you. Don't try to criticize the opinions of others and state your opinions as fact.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    TS4 is my favorite game so far! It is way better than all the others and I have been playing Sim things since Sim City 1.....As someone who is "old" lol pushing 40 I have been around to see the games morph into what is now TS4 and I have played all of them pretty much my whole life and this one is by far the best. Is it perfect NO but every one has it quirks and bugs. TS4 is a new game it's not supposed to be just like TS3, TS2, TS1 they all have things that make them different. The way the Sims look in TS4 is MILES above how they looked in TS3 etc. The buy/build mode is unfathomably better than TS3....I tried to go back and play TS3 and I could barely even see the build/buy mode stuff and the micro transactions.... GOOD LORD. I don't wanna pay real money for clothes, build/buy mode stuff. I like the stuff packs way better (although they do need to put more stuff in them IMO) It's still kind of a new game I mean give it time for new expansions/game/stuff packs before you go calling it a "failure" IMO it is FAR from being a failure. It's a GREAT game and I play it often (Over 1k hours so far) The build buy mode AMAZING. the Sims themselves GREAT, expansion packs, GREAT, game play GREAT, also they are so much more in depth than the other games. The teams are very poud of what they have done and they have good reason to be IMO. They do a GREAT job and they do fix a lot of bugs too. Just look at that sly patch they did on the 21st with the Lin-Z patch. I think it's a success personally. I LOVE IT!
    While fully appreciating your enthousiasm, the fact you make such passionate comparisons triggers me to react.
    1. This one is by far the best. As much as you apparently enjoy it, no it’s not, not even a little, let alone by far. You may like the game the best for your own good reasons, but there are too many objective reasons that indicate the opposite. The game has its charms for sure, but it’s more surface than body.
    2. The way the Sims look in TS4 is MILES above how they looked in TS3. Their looks in fact have been a major let down for me from the minute the game was announced and we saw the first trailer. I prefer Sims 3 sims (ánd Sims 2 sims for that matter, who also don’t have my favourite look) over them any time.
    3. The buy/build mode is unfathomably better than TS3....I tried to go back and play TS3 and I could barely even see the build/buy mode stuff and the micro transactions. I’ll post a video about that down below*. The girl in the video nailed it. I have no problem seeing stuff in TS3 build/buy mode by the way, I don’t understand what you mean. Nor do I understand what you mean with having to buy for stuff with real money. Sims 4 costs real money as well and CASt gives you countless more options to design ‘new’ clothes. You’re not referring to Store stuff showing up in the game I hope? Because you can disable that.
    4. Also they are so much more in depth than the other games. You can say a lot about Sims 4, but not that it’s in depth. You get a ready to go, often scripted concept in a set in stone environment and you play. There are no consequences, the sims have no personalities, no memories, their emotions are identical and triggered by auras, not by what’s actually happening to them or social interactions and they simply don’t care about what happens around them. To me it always feels as if they’re acting conversations, without being bothered by what they’re talking about and to whom.

Seeing someone struggling over colours feels nothing less but alienating when you’re still building in Sims 3 I can assure you.

omg....I finally watched this video. This person said everything I had screamed at my screen before. Brilliant analysis of what is wrong with buildmode and other things. I wish developers would watch her and get a clue when it comes to pet peeves about TS4 buildmode and swatches.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    With 4.8 million NEW players added to Sims 4 alone this year - far from it. Definitely not a failure. The earnings call was very interesting reading for sure.

I wonder how many of those included The Sims Mobile? or Access, and or console? If it was the pc game by itself, I wonder if they gained a few million by offering the base at $5 per person for about three months there. Just thinking out loud.

Or if they opened up an Asian market where they could get more people. You know first time buyers ever in a country where they've never sold before. If that was all about that, or if it was the US and Europe pumping in all that money with new users or a market they had never been able to sell to before. Just questions floating in my head. It wouldn't mean it was a raging success but just a new market came open to where they could dazzle unsuspecting buyers.

As far as I am concerned I think I have out grown this series. I didn't think I would ever say that. But they seem to be struggling (in my view) to dazzle me anymore. And nothing they have released in the last year or so has been anything I would want, seems not as well done or as amazing as EPs or GPs of the past, and it seems to me they can't out do themselves anymore. Though they think they have some super ideas (and they certainly did in the past) nothing they release seems to be as amazing or as spectacular as when we were young and naive. It's harder to make me happy now, with meh packs and gameplay, so yeah, I have out grown them.

It indicated Sims 4 pc and console - not the mobile or Freeplay.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

omg....I finally watched this video. This person said everything I had screamed at my screen before. Brilliant analysis of what is wrong with buildmode and other things. I wish developers would watch her and get a clue when it comes to pet peeves about TS4 buildmode and swatches.

They do -she’s a very prominent game changer. Says it all.

But they haven't done one thing about it. lol So, what she has said didn't get much game change did it. Those problems are still there four years later.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

But they haven't done one thing about it. lol So, what she has said didn't get much game change did it. Those problems are still there four years later.

I agree, but that video is not four years old. It was uploaded December 1st 2018.

I agree, but that video is not four years old. It was uploaded December 1st 2018.

O.K. glad some one with assumed influence can maybe get things changed. I meant those base game objects still have those problems, hopefully they see the problems if they watch her video.
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member

Great comment and video. Ts3 is so refreshing to play after several attempts to appreciate ts4. And the person in the video frustrated with ts4's limitations has far more patience with the state of the game than I have.
  • GenericTownieGenericTownie Posts: 105 Member
    I always look to the positive side of thing instead of commenting on what could've happened or what should've been done

Omg... this is embarrassing 😩 I was 15 when I wrote this so lets just pretend I was never in this conversation 🤣

• cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    edited March 2021
    It's got its high points, but I still feel that when the online component sunk Sim City (5); TS4 should have been scrapped and redone. The problem is that the intended for MMO engine is really weak compared to TS2 or TS3. On this PC, because it's actually a refurbished unit from 2014, it seems to run TS3 a lot better, and the more I play TS3 (and TS2), the more I discover TS4's weak points and missing features. I have a much smaller percentage of packs in TS3 (like maybe 50%) vs. TS4 (like 80%--just missing the kits I don't want and a couple of stuff packs), and still feel I get more out of TS3. The EPs of TS3 add so much more to the game vs what TS4 adds.

I feel the reason it's so much of commercial success is to me, EA has done more to market TS4 (GameChangers, the reality show); and the fact a lot of the people picking up TS4 probably haven't tried the others first. But, it doesn't mean it's a better game to me. I've noticed that on Google Play, the freemium games (which I never buy anymore) always outsell those that are pay up-front, never bother again kind of games, even if the latter seems better, more polished (and finished!) games.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited March 2021
    Deleted.

Sorry, I keep forgetting to check the dates on the thread.
    Post edited by Cynna on
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited March 2021
    Looking for sale numbers it isn't. Looking in a perspective of a casual player it also isn't. looking in a perspective of a long time hardcore fan of The Sims franchise the answer is yes, for the big majority of it. It honestly looks like EA replaced the sims community with other people who have totally a different perspective on this game. The previous three titles are much different from this one so it can be a failure for some!
  • BohoFlowerBohoFlower Posts: 143 Member
    I like TS4 but they need to add in all the Emotions and other quirks the Sims had in TS2 asap, it's just not the same and maybe... they're gearing up to doing that but i think they need to add it sooner like this year, it will still work with the Moods no doubt and we really don't just want Moods cos they're different to Emotions even if Moods are linked to Emotions they aren't actual Emotions it's more complicated than just Moods. People will be a lot more into playing the game again for sure.
  • EvilinPinkEvilinPink Posts: 49 Member
    Most definitely lol
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    It is only an failure if the player feels it is an failure, for me and only me I feel it is an failure as it has not reached goals that I set forth such as no tools that I can edit the neighborhood, lots. Its creativity for me is not my creativity it is their creativity that is forced on me so that is an failure. Almost everything that was available to the end user is now behind an pay wall. :(
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Back in 2016, yes, but not now. It has been slowly growing since October 2020 & is improving ever since. It is coming in late. However, I always think, "Better Late Than Never". :)
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Something that has lasted for six years cannot be regarded as a failure can it? It could be much better probably but because someone doesn't like it personally, doesn't mean everybody else dislikes it also.

Civilisation 5 was a failure for me, personally and I didn't play it for more than a day, realising it wasn't my sort of game and I lost my money on it. I don't consider Sims 4 like that but Sims 3, possibly, as I realised after a few expansions I wasn't so keen and should have stopped at World Adventures.

Sorry to hear that you don't like Civilization, Simburian. But there are much easier games out there if you find Civilization too hard. Or just play the Sims 4 for the easiness. I love playing Civilization VI for my brain and the building up my country.
    I love playing Sims 4 to give my brain a rest and to build unusual buildings & sims.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2021
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Back in 2016, yes, but not now. It has been slowly growing since October 2020 & is improving ever since. It is coming in late. However, I always think, "Better Late Than Never". :)
    Though that I’m sure is very true to those who have been playing and buying for the game all those years, for a lot of players (like me) it actually does not mean better late than never, it means too little too late. Meaning, even IF the game improved this way, starting October 2020, I stopped buying a long long time ago. With the packs I do have it’s most definitely too little, and since I obviously am not going to throw in hundreds of euros t catch up (!!!, since that’s what it takes to enjoy that imrovement) just because people say this miracle happened, it’s too late, which means never for me. Especially since I see lots of comments indicating those improvements aren’t a miracle at all and who am I to believe with my money I can only spend once). It’s great they finally started adressing important issues, but they should have adressed those in 2014, when they released the game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ZhakiraPZhakiraP Posts: 1,439 Member
    For EA it is not a failure. Not profit wise.

I think for Maxis it is a failure.

For me it is a black blotch in sim history that I will never speak of again once a better life simulating game comes out.
    53218870167_a5d450f1db_h.jpg
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    ZhakiraP wrote: »
    For EA it is not a failure. Not profit wise.

I think for Maxis it is a failure.

For me it is a black blotch in sim history that I will never speak of again once a better life simulating game comes out.

I feel the same way Sims 3 may had it's moments of people feeling negative but for me I had an blast playing Sims 3 even though it did not have Sims 2 quirkness it had features that I felt brought it to an new level and looking at Sims 4 it started out with controversy with all features stripped and it will end with controversy and some players may remember Sims 4 what it did not have.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »

I personally am not the person who will wait around 6 years for a product to live up to its expectations. That's like half a decade. Imagine if every game you bought took half a decade to make any meaningful improvements. That's a world I don't wanna live in. Definitely not customer friendly too.
    Sorry, not sorry Sims 4.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    That's why I believe that the ever so popular Sims 5 won't be better than Sims 3 or 4. I'm just sticking to what I have now & not bothering to have any future versions of the Sims.
  • EA_MakoEA_Mako Posts: 846 EA Community Manager
    Thanks for the additional comments and feedback, everyone.

As this was just recently necro'd from a pretty old post I am locking the thread, but feel free to continue the discussion in a newer thread. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top