Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think The Sims 4 = Failure?

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2016
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I honestly would not want to see Sims more realistic. For me, an amazing feature that comes with the Sims since the first game is its relatively caricatured appearance, and for me it is very important considering that there are already so many other simulation games (or not simulators) that has adopting very realistic appareance, and for me this doens't have much identity.
    Even though I always see people declaring they don't want sims to look too realistic, all CC out there is aiming to make them more realistic. I never played Sims 2 and for a very long time I thought this was how they looked:

snapshot_01f54551_e1f5455c_zps9cb7a98c.jpg

Because in stories and in pictures they all looked like that. Never like this:

xoqq1x.jpg

Just literally never.
    My problem with Sims 4 is, that I have no choice. There's no other way than to approach them cartoony and I just don't want that. I want to play with humans I can relate to.

(yes, I liked TSM sims as well, even though CAS was very limited in the game)

That is a lie. There is a reason there is A LOT of Maxis match content for TS2 and TS4. (I have never used CC in TS3). And FYI I always try to put MMCC in my game (mostly makeup and wallpapers because this game lacks in both, a lot).
    Yes, there is (a reason). My Sims 3 sim has a skin that matches Maxis; in fact that's the only reason I can stand it because I don't like CC in my game that changes my sims too much (and I've played my sims vanilla as well for all those years, this skin I have since one or two months or so). It matches Maxis but you can't deny it makes him more realistic than he was vanilla. I don't know what MMCC is by the way?

Actually I couldn't tell if that was EA or CC so for me, it doesn't look more realistic. It just looks like a TS3 sim with Into the Future's beard and...Generations hair? So yes, I can actively deny it.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited April 2016
    I honestly would not want to see Sims more realistic. For me, an amazing feature that comes with the Sims since the first game is its relatively caricatured appearance, and for me it is very important considering that there are already so many other simulation games (or not simulators) that has adopting very realistic appareance, and for me this doens't have much identity.
    Even though I always see people declaring they don't want sims to look too realistic, all CC out there is aiming to make them more realistic. I never played Sims 2 and for a very long time I thought this was how they looked:

xoqq1x.jpg

Just literally never.
    My problem with Sims 4 is, that I have no choice. There's no other way than to approach them cartoony and I just don't want that. I want to play with humans I can relate to.

That is a lie. There is a reason there is A LOT of Maxis match content for TS2 and TS4. (I have never used CC in TS3). And FYI I always try to put MMCC in my game (mostly makeup and wallpapers because this game lacks in both, a lot).
    Yes, there is (a reason). My Sims 3 sim has a skin that matches Maxis; in fact that's the only reason I can stand it because I don't like CC in my game that changes my sims too much (and I've played my sims vanilla as well for all those years, this skin I have since one or two months or so). It matches Maxis but you can't deny it makes him more realistic than he was vanilla. I don't know what MMCC is by the way?

ETA: I don't know what you considered a lie by the way, but I genuinely thought sims in 2 looked like the CC girl.

I'm guessing you didn't bother to look at the bolded part then...Maybe try to actually read what I post instead of jumping to a rather weird answer :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    @JoAnne65 the only place I ever saw Sims look like the CC one in your pictures was on some sites that hosted more realistic looking CC for TS2. Many of us really hated it and stuck with Maxis matching things for our games. My daughter made MM (maxis matching) default eye replacements and made a lot of custom MM skins as well. They were popular. Everything I made was MM and it went over well too. I only ever downloaded MM and and there was more MMCC (Maxis Matching Custom Content) than I could ever put into my game.

I don't know if there were more people into the photo-realistic stuff or not, it always seemed to me there were plenty of people in both camps.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2016
    BSIRegina wrote: »
    @JoAnne65 the only place I ever saw Sims look like the CC one in your pictures was on some sites that hosted more realistic looking CC for TS2. Many of us really hated it and stuck with Maxis matching things for our games. My daughter made MM (maxis matching) default eye replacements and made a lot of custom MM skins as well. They were popular. Everything I made was MM and it went over well too. I only ever downloaded MM and and there was more MMCC (Maxis Matching Custom Content) than I could ever put into my game.

I don't know if there were more people into the photo-realistic stuff or not, it always seemed to me there were plenty of people in both camps.
    Do you have an example of MMCC in Sims 2 (all of a sudden I understand what MMCC is ;))? And the eyes in my picture I've seen a lot. I downloaded these myself once:

snapshot_81d112e4_4253c122_zpswbk4ioiu.jpg

Not sure whether I like it though.
    5JZ57S6.png

xoqq1x.jpg

Just literally never.

Actually I couldn't tell if that was EA or CC so for me, it doesn't look more realistic. It just looks like a TS3 sim with Into the Future's beard and...Generations hair? So yes, I can actively deny it.
    Ambitions hair actually. And yes, he has a custom skin and it does make him look more realistic. And I did react to what you said in your post, literally even ("There is a reason there is A LOT of Maxis match content for TS2 and TS4"), stating I want Maxis matching stuff in my game as well and I played the game vanilla for years; no need to get offensive. Which by the way calling me al liar was as well. You could have said "you're mistaken"or "that's not true".
    5JZ57S6.png
    You know there is a reason that Sims looks started out the way they did.

"Wright speaks for almost an hour, clicking through slides and concepts at warp speed. He explains that Sim faces were left deliberately abstract -- like those of Duplo or Playskool figurines -- so that players could project their own images onto the characters."
    Was there even CAS in Sims 1..? I don't remember.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited April 2016

xoqq1x.jpg

Just literally never.

Ambitions hair actually. And yes, he has a custom skin and it does make him look more realistic. And I did react to what you said in your post, literally even ("There is a reason there is A LOT of Maxis match content for TS2 and TS4"), stating I want Maxis matching stuff in my game as well and I played the game vanilla for years; no need to get offensive. Which by the way calling me al liar was as well. You could have said "you're mistaken"or "that's not true".

I'm not even being offensive. And nobody said anything about not responding to my post, I said that your statement, the one I clearly bolded was a lie not the fact that you thought sims 2 was like that. But since you know Maxis match content exists it makes no sense for you to even state that everyone that uses CC wants their sims more realistic, people simply want more options for creating while leaving the game's style as intact as it can be.

And I didn't called you a liar, a liar is someone that constantly tells lies. (that's a complement, take it).
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

xoqq1x.jpg

Just literally never.

I'm not even being offensive. And nobody said anything about not responding to my post, I said that your statement, the one I clearly bolded was a lie not the fact that you thought sims 2 was like that. But since you know Maxis match content exists it makes no sense for you to even state that everyone that uses CC wants their sims more realistic, people simply want more options for creating while leaving the game's style as intact as it can be.

And I didn't called you a liar, a liar is someone that constantly tells lies. (that's a complement, take it).
    Ah, ok, glad that's clarified then. Do you have examples of custom skins that match Maxis that don't make the sims more realistic? Like I said, I consider the skin I use now Maxis matching (and you obviously don't disagree because you even thought it was a vanilla sim), but it does make him more realistic nevertheless.

Lance_zps5w9h3fz9.png

I'd like a successor in this series that will follow that more realistic route myself. That's all.
    5JZ57S6.png
    @JoAnne65 when I search for Maxis Match at MTS I get 78 pages of results. If you go to Parsimonious they have so much for TS2 that isn't photo-skinned. The fun thing about making CC for TS2 was that I could actually use textures I had collected that weren't photos and they matched perfectly in the game. Occasionally I would make a painting and use a photo then manipulate the images to make it match what the game had going on. None of my creations are currently available on the internet, though. I've learned from the texture work I've done for TS3, which of course is mostly on the world level, there are many photos turned into textures for that game.

The original game had CAS but we couldn't manipulate the facial features as all faces were simply images. We could (and I did) however, make custom Sims.
  • PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    TS1's CAS consisted of choosing a skintone (light, medium, or dark), choosing a face, and then choosing a body/clothing. There might've been a bit more to it, but that's what I recall from memory
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    TS1's CAS consisted of choosing a skintone (light, medium, or dark), choosing a face, and then choosing a body/clothing. There might've been a bit more to it, but that's what I recall from memory

That's pretty much it except there were body types. I remember for sure skinny and normal and there may have been a slightly heavier one but I forget. I used to have custom body types to make really fat Sims. :mrgreen: Even the hair was attached to the face, wasn't it? I'm surprised at just how badly my memory has failed on this.
  • VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
    That's pretty much it except there were body types. I remember for sure skinny and normal and there may have been a slightly heavier one but I forget. I used to have custom body types to make really fat Sims. :mrgreen: Even the hair was attached to the face, wasn't it? I'm surprised at just how badly my memory has failed on this.

Yes, there were normal, skinny, and fat ones, and you chose the whole head, hair wasn’t separate.

As for CC, all depends on my mood, sometimes I feel like playing with a game full of CC of various types, sometimes I want a vanilla game with just default replacements and a few MM things like hair. However, the CC I use must be high quality, when I used to make CC myself I also tried to d my best (however, when I was a beginner in 2006-7 everything was just completely terrible :p).
    I’m not sure what I’ll do in 4 when I start playing it again, I suppose that at the beginning I’ll go with vanilla game, and then slowly add more things. Maybe I’ll stay with MM CC, I do like photo-skinning, but then those sims might not fit to the cartoony look of the worlds.

Incidentally, I actually really miss realistic textures from TS1. Maybe TS5 will have a similar style, but of course full 3D ;)

5jBochp.jpg
    “Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
    Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
  • HermaiHermai Posts: 366 Member
    Since TS1 had prerendered sprites, they could use these nice textures :p

I actually like the cartoony style of TS4 because I find it cute. However, I'd reeeeeeally like a more realistic approach for a simulation game. Specially realistic skin textures and hair that doesn't look like play-doh

And as much as I still love TS2, I hate the way they look nowadays. I have to play with CC, because the graphics for the sims themselves look really dated. But I find the environment in TS2 still very good looking and realistic. TS4 environment is pretty and all, but it really went very very far from realistic. I miss "realistic".
  • CCLeighCCLeigh Posts: 33 Member
    I've plays too many hours for it to have failed for me...haha
    Hermai wrote: »
    (...)

And that’s why sims and objects that move look much worse that everything else, however, I think that graphics in TS1 were really good at the time when it was released. I can’t really say that about TS4.

The other thing I want is grass. Not just flat surface with a texture, but actual grass.
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
    @JoAnne65 when I search for Maxis Match at MTS I get 78 pages of results. If you go to Parsimonious they have so much for TS2 that isn't photo-skinned. The fun thing about making CC for TS2 was that I could actually use textures I had collected that weren't photos and they matched perfectly in the game. Occasionally I would make a painting and use a photo then manipulate the images to make it match what the game had going on. None of my creations are currently available on the internet, though. I've learned from the texture work I've done for TS3, which of course is mostly on the world level, there are many photos turned into textures for that game.

The original game had CAS but we couldn't manipulate the facial features as all faces were simply images. We could (and I did) however, make custom Sims.
    I found this?

ar-clothing-winterpink.jpg

I can see how that's indeed loyal to the art style of Sims 2, but like I said, a bit more realistic. I installed some CC myself for Sims 2 but I don't like it. This I do like though, so if I ever open my Sims 2 game again I might check this out. Because I must admit I'm not a real fan of the papercut eye look of the sims in the game. I didn't need photo-skin either though, didn't like it on my sims. I'll file the name somewhere, thanks.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Thanks :) I have to say I love a much more advanced CAS myself, even when Wright had a different opinion about that. I like building houses and stories as much as 'building' faces ;) And I'd love to create real unique and human characters in a game like this and simulate their lives. I do get what he means though, because I think I see a completely different sim when I look at one of my own than other people do. It kind of shocked me to see how much Lance in fact has improved thanks to Kurasoberina's skin when I did the comparison. Somewhere in my mind he already looked like what he looks like now. Guess that's what they mean by 'the eye of the beholder' ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Lupus95Lupus95 Posts: 72 Member
    edited April 2016
    I don't know why you all want a realistic style for the sims ... would that not take ALL of the fun away? If there is one thing that TS4 does right, it's the art style (even though this does not excuse limited content)

I think most of the "realistic" CC looks off and definitly worse than the original textures
    Lupus95 wrote: »
    I don't know why you all want a realistic style for the sims ... would that not take ALL of the fun away? (...)

How would it take all of the fun away? For me it would definitely be fun, I’ve always wanted sims to look as realistic as possible and have the gameplay as supernatural as possible, it would be like escaping to a different world, and realistic graphics would make that impression much stronger. I can’t really feel that escaping when everything looks like plastic/rubber and hair is basically like a helmet.

Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
    Lupus95 wrote: »
    I don't know why you all want a realistic style for the sims ... would that not take ALL of the fun away? If there is one thing that TS4 does right, it's the art style (even though this does not excuse limited content)

I think most of the "realistic" CC looks off and definitly worse than the original textures
    And I don't know why you think realism would take all of the fun away and why you think Sims 4 has the art style right. And even though I agree some CC looks worse than the vanilla sims, also that is just opinion. Wait... could that be it? Different opinions?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    The art style is part of the reason I can't stand sims4. It's not nearly as pretty as sims3.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    catitude5 wrote: »
    The art style is part of the reason I can't stand sims4. It's not nearly as pretty as sims3.

I actually like CAS and just wish they would have added that to the best ideas from the previous games. What does bother me is the lack of textures and things like pot or dishes not being round when they are meant to be. It also seems overly color saturated.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited April 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • Sasquatch_01Sasquatch_01 Posts: 538 Member
    Voeille wrote: »
    Hermai wrote: »
    (...)

And that’s why sims and objects that move look much worse that everything else, however, I think that graphics in TS1 were really good at the time when it was released. I can’t really say that about TS4.

The other thing I want is grass. Not just flat surface with a texture, but actual grass.

Stranded grass simulation has been developed and hopefully everyone will be willing to spend a little extra on graphic hardware so that game developers will be willing to fully utilize those functions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HoBu35ZNyU

I would personally love to see the stranded hair simulation from the NVidia demo as the standard for The Sims:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyB1mtKxj24
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited April 2016
    There were personal bios you could write too which was nice.

When it comes to artstyle, I like a mix between realistic and cartoon which I think the Sims 2 did better at than the Sims 4. Honestly I'd be happy with a happy medium between the Sims 2/4 and the Sims Medieval. I actually like the look of the Sims more in the Sims Medieval than the Sims 3 personally. But my opinions are of course subjective. I want a compromise though between the two styles because I think it reflects better of what the Sims is really about which is the balance between reality and fantasy. Too much of one thing sets that balance off.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top