Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think The Sims 4 = Failure?

Comments

• drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @drake_mccarty, I sort of believe the Sims Social was probably the biggest fail that came out of Maxis then maybe TS4, and SC a distant third failure if we are talking about fan approval. I sort of believe (for some odd reason) TS4 is not doing much better than TSM did. Sure there was some of us that really loved that game but not enough of the mainstream players invested in it.

Did Sim Social come from Maxis? I always thought that Playfish was behind that game as well as SC Social.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    @drake_mccarty, I sort of believe the Sims Social was probably the biggest fail that came out of Maxis then maybe TS4, and SC a distant third failure if we are talking about fan approval. I sort of believe (for some odd reason) TS4 is not doing much better than TSM did. Sure there was some of us that really loved that game but not enough of the mainstream players invested in it.
    Why do you think that?

The Sims Medieval actually got good reviews as you can see on http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-sims-medieval Even mainstream gamers who usually play other games instead of Sims games liked it even though they found TSM to be shallow. So I would actually expect that TSM had quite good sales numbers.

But the problem with TSM and all other side games to the main Sims games still was that EA wants all such games to be much smaller and cheaper to develop. This way the side games don't compete with the main games and they don't need nearly as good sales numbers to be profitable. So I am actually quite sure that EA sees TSM as a successful game :)

The sales numbers for TS4 are really hard to evealuate because they depend heavily on the number of very young teens who bought the game or got it as a present but usually never visit the forum. I believe that this number is very high. But I also think though that the sales number for TS4 is a little lower than for the previous Sims games for the following reasons:
    1. PC games usually sell less than earlier because a lot of people don't buy PCs anymore but now use their tablets for all the things which they earlier did on their PC. I have talked to several young adults who told me that they hadn't opened their PC at all in the latest couple of months.
    2. TS4 doesn't really feel as an improvement of TS3.
    3. EA doesn't brag about sales numbers for TS4 like EA did about the sales numbers for earlier games.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2016
    @drake_mccarty since Lucy Bradshaw brought a law suit against Zygna for their social game and she was over Maxis it would be Maxis but under EA's umbrella those game companies EA purchased in 2009 may had a lot to do with design. ETA: Bradshaw seen in a video explaining why she sued them for copying the Sims Social.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • roman2886roman2886 Posts: 702 Member
    In a way yes since the toddler stage and swimmings were removed there was petition too bring back toddlers and swimming pools but it was closed down.
  • allieb312allieb312 Posts: 305 Member
    No. I think it's getting better and even though Rachel said she didn't want toddlers because she was satisfied without them.
  • Lupus95Lupus95 Posts: 72 Member
    edited April 2016
    TS4 feels veeeeeery limited compared to 3.

I don't think I really have to mention the audacity of not including toddlers. Plus, the state of babies, which had already been sub-par to TS2 in TS3 has now completely regressed to standards of a NextGen Sims 1.
    The fact that the base game did not even include family trees, ghosts or pools is pathetic aswell. And WHY did they take away the option to freely color your furniture/clothes, when they give you a rather limited pack of clothing/furniture with the base game?
    Then we do not have open worlds anymore and have to actually see a loading screen for each area we visit. The base game, once you get used to the new "rules" feels like it has much less content than the BASE game of TS3 had. Like, TS3 had you playing A LOT with just the basegame, wandering the city and exploring hidden places, searching for stuff, actively visiting your neighbors etc.
    In TS3, you could often sneek around your neighbor's houses and see what they were up to, which was loads of fun. Now, visiting each house will give you a loading screen and sims don't really do too much interesting stuff on their own. You also get a very limited amount of community lots.
    I also dislike the limited story progression. Yes, the TS3 one was bugged, during some patches you had a lot of families randomly moving away or changing their houses, obesity spreading like a wildfire or babys and toddlers dying/disppearing. The addition of supernatural beings and stars also messed it up. But the fact that "townie" sims now don't really seem to do much than aging is meh. Why did they not keep the option for NPC Sims to fall in love, marry, get children, divorce etc. Now a family will just dy out if you don't take the innitative and play them to reproduce.
    I also feel like they did not put any work in the pre-created families. We get the Goths, which look pretty nice and a cool new interpretation of the Landgraabs. But apart from them, we have the Calientes, with Nina looking gross, and multiple completely random households lacking personality. They did not even put the effort into the game to make Don and Katrina have a romantic relationship or to give Bob and Eliza a struggling one, even though it's stated as this in the family bios.
    There are other small details: Sims just disappear when they go to work, they don't even really leave the lot or get picked up by a car/whatever. That seems kind of lazy.
    And there is another thing, the sims often feel a bit buggy. Ok, it's nice they are multi-tasking now, but they often awkwardly move around when talking or don't even stand face to face, even if they are not really doing anything else than talking. Then there is the thing that Sims invite you downtown and when you get to the lot, they just instantly o away. Or the Sims that visit a community lot while you're at it: They come and go constantly, making interaction quite hard.
    Basically, even of I really like TS4 for some things, a lot of this game feels half-hearted. There seems to be a lot less passion in creating the base game (TS3 base game felt like you had MUCH more to explore, much more posibilities, while TS4 base game is not aging very well) and the expansion packs with the worst one being Get Together, not really introducing much and then not really being good with WHAT it introduces. Get To Work is pretty solid, having the Aliens and the three active careers where you can really accompany your sim to his workplace. But it still feels like there should have been a bit more to it.

So yeah, unlike TS2, which really was A LOT of fun and TS3, which introduced a lot of cool stuff (even though I have to admit it declined to farther they went with store content and EPs), 4 feels kind of underwhelmed.

HOWEVER, I really like how the Sims look (best look they had so far, it really seems like a next-gen Sims 2, unlike the muddy look of TS3), the emotion thing is nice and how those moods and the Sims traits really show a lot when they do something (for example cooking while furios etc)
    I also like that they stricktly go for game packs, accecorxy packs and expansions packs instead of having store content. the store was a nice idea but got out of hand extremely quickly in TS3.

I guess I could really love TS4, even though I feel a lot of it could be better compared to the previour installments. However, if EA continues to use the "least amount of effort for most amount of money" policy, I guess I'll rconsider buying any further expansion packs for this game. So yeah, they have to put much MORE work and passion into it in my opinion.
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,065 Member
    A failure that is also a disappointment and will never become good.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    edited April 2016
    wrong the sims4 is not a failure the sims4 is a sucess and also why did this dead topic been raise from the dead its more than a month old
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    Sims 4 is the biggest failure in the Sims series I have always liked the newer versions over the previous but this is a gigantic waste, It was always going to sell well due to the popularity of the other 3 ( just like a sequel to a popular movie) but a lot and I mean a hell of a lot of people are so disappointed in the result its not hard to call it a failure.
  • DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    More like a huge disappointment (to me at least).
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    Why do you think that?

The Sims Medieval actually got good reviews as you can see on http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-sims-medieval Even mainstream gamers who usually play other games instead of Sims games liked it even though they found TSM to be shallow. So I would actually expect that TSM had quite good sales numbers.

No, The Sims Medieval was a sales failure because instead of the long-term franchise that I'm sure EA planned, they pulled the plug on it after only one expansion pack, which had to have been almost a done deal when the base game was released. Had it been a sales success it would have continued -- it didn't, therefore it wasn't. TSM was shallow, linear, and boring.

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    Erpe wrote: »
    Why do you think that?

No, The Sims Medieval was a sales failure because instead of the long-term franchise that I'm sure EA planned, they pulled the plug on it after only one expansion pack, which had to have been almost a done deal when the base game was released. Had it been a sales success it would have continued -- it didn't, therefore it wasn't. TSM was shallow, linear, and boring.
    It was a side game - just like the three Sims Stories games were and EA has always wanted the side games to target people who maybe thought that the main Sims games were way too big and expensive with all their huge number of expansions. So only a single small EP was planned and released. Nevertheless EA also released two extra versions of the Sims Medieval for iOS and Android.

I agree though that EA probably would have changed their mind if TSM had got huge sales numbers - but only if the sales numbers really were extremely high. I just don't believe that EA ever would want two huge Sims series to compete with each other about the same customers. Therefore I don't believe that it ever was planned that way.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2016
    Lupus95 wrote: »
    TS4 feels veeeeeery limited compared to 3.

I don't think I really have to mention the audacity of not including toddlers. Plus, the state of babies, which had already been sub-par to TS2 in TS3 has now completely regressed to standards of a NextGen Sims 1.
    The fact that the base game did not even include family trees, ghosts or pools is pathetic aswell. And WHY did they take away the option to freely color your furniture/clothes, when they give you a rather limited pack of clothing/furniture with the base game?
    Then we do not have open worlds anymore and have to actually see a loading screen for each area we visit. The base game, once you get used to the new "rules" feels like it has much less content than the BASE game of TS3 had. Like, TS3 had you playing A LOT with just the basegame, wandering the city and exploring hidden places, searching for stuff, actively visiting your neighbors etc.
    In TS3, you could often sneek around your neighbor's houses and see what they were up to, which was loads of fun. Now, visiting each house will give you a loading screen and sims don't really do too much interesting stuff on their own. You also get a very limited amount of community lots.
    I also dislike the limited story progression. Yes, the TS3 one was bugged, during some patches you had a lot of families randomly moving away or changing their houses, obesity spreading like a wildfire or babys and toddlers dying/disppearing. The addition of supernatural beings and stars also messed it up. But the fact that "townie" sims now don't really seem to do much than aging is meh. Why did they not keep the option for NPC Sims to fall in love, marry, get children, divorce etc. Now a family will just dy out if you don't take the innitative and play them to reproduce.
    I also feel like they did not put any work in the pre-created families. We get the Goths, which look pretty nice and a cool new interpretation of the Landgraabs. But apart from them, we have the Calientes, with Nina looking gross, and multiple completely random households lacking personality. They did not even put the effort into the game to make Don and Katrina have a romantic relationship or to give Bob and Eliza a struggling one, even though it's stated as this in the family bios.
    There are other small details: Sims just disappear when they go to work, they don't even really leave the lot or get picked up by a car/whatever. That seems kind of lazy.
    And there is another thing, the sims often feel a bit buggy. Ok, it's nice they are multi-tasking now, but they often awkwardly move around when talking or don't even stand face to face, even if they are not really doing anything else than talking. Then there is the thing that Sims invite you downtown and when you get to the lot, they just instantly o away. Or the Sims that visit a community lot while you're at it: They come and go constantly, making interaction quite hard.
    Basically, even of I really like TS4 for some things, a lot of this game feels half-hearted. There seems to be a lot less passion in creating the base game (TS3 base game felt like you had MUCH more to explore, much more posibilities, while TS4 base game is not aging very well) and the expansion packs with the worst one being Get Together, not really introducing much and then not really being good with WHAT it introduces. Get To Work is pretty solid, having the Aliens and the three active careers where you can really accompany your sim to his workplace. But it still feels like there should have been a bit more to it.

So yeah, unlike TS2, which really was A LOT of fun and TS3, which introduced a lot of cool stuff (even though I have to admit it declined to farther they went with store content and EPs), 4 feels kind of underwhelmed.

HOWEVER, I really like how the Sims look (best look they had so far, it really seems like a next-gen Sims 2, unlike the muddy look of TS3), the emotion thing is nice and how those moods and the Sims traits really show a lot when they do something (for example cooking while furios etc)
    I also like that they stricktly go for game packs, accecorxy packs and expansions packs instead of having store content. the store was a nice idea but got out of hand extremely quickly in TS3.

I guess I could really love TS4, even though I feel a lot of it could be better compared to the previour installments. However, if EA continues to use the "least amount of effort for most amount of money" policy, I guess I'll rconsider buying any further expansion packs for this game. So yeah, they have to put much MORE work and passion into it in my opinion.
    What mud.

2198599_orig.png

Someone spontaneously declared a few days ago she wanted to marry him. She must dig mud. I'd so very much want them to build on this look in a future Sims game (with better CAS for sure) and leave the cartoon style and the plastic doll look behind.

ETA: Agree with most of the rest btw
    5JZ57S6.png
  • VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    What mud.

[img]Someone spontaneously declared a few days ago she wanted to marry him. She must dig mud. I'd so very much want them to build on this look in a future Sims game (with better CAS for sure) and leave the cartoon style and the plastic doll look behind. ETA: Agree with most of the rest btw[/img]

I completely agree, I definitely want sims to look more realistic, they’ve never looked good enough for me, and I was hoping for something better in TS4, but I was utterly disappointed when I got to know how sims would look like.

I think the best vanilla sims, and textures in general are in TSM:

So3YhVL.png

KHHUGrC.png

They really could have gone in that direction, instead of plastic-fantastic forever and always.
    “Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
    Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
  • celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    I honestly would not want to see Sims more realistic. For me, an amazing feature that comes with the Sims since the first game is its relatively caricatured appearance, and for me it is very important considering that there are already so many other simulation games (or not simulators) that has adopting very realistic appareance, and for me this doens't have much identity.
    tenor.gif
  • NikolaiBanksNikolaiBanks Posts: 149 Member
    I honestly would not want to see Sims more realistic. For me, an amazing feature that comes with the Sims since the first game is its relatively caricatured appearance, and for me it is very important considering that there are already so many other simulation games (or not simulators) that has adopting very realistic appareance, and for me this doens't have much identity.

I agree, Sims look pretty awesome the way they are, Sims 3's look is awesome in it's own way, and Sims 4's look is just as awesome in it's own way, if they made Sims realistic, it would be somewhat boring.
    'Fear not, for I am with you;
    Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you,
    Yes, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’
    Quote from Isaiah 41:10
    edited April 2016
    Even though I always see people declaring they don't want sims to look too realistic, all CC out there is aiming to make them more realistic. I never played Sims 2 and for a very long time I thought this was how they looked:

snapshot_01f54551_e1f5455c_zps9cb7a98c.jpg

Because in stories and in pictures they all looked like that. Never like this:

xoqq1x.jpg

Just literally never.
    My problem with Sims 4 is, that I have no choice. There's no other way than to approach them cartoony and I just don't want that. I want to play with humans I can relate to.

(yes, I liked TSM sims as well, even though CAS was very limited in the game)

5JZ57S6.png
  • WaylonWriterWaylonWriter Posts: 70 Member
    Eh, I wouldn't go as far as saying its an absolute failure... BUT. I have spent over 200+ hours in game and that was built up over sporadic playings. I mainly just build now. Creating a Sim and playing with their "Life" just seems very lacking to me... like so many others have said on this thread, its not as captivating as TS3 or TS2, I used to get lost in those games, even just the base ones with no EPs or SPs. This, I don't know... I can play it for a few hours in a day and then not touch it for months. I want to play but just get bored so darned quickly. Its frustrating.
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Even though I always see people declaring they don't want sims to look too realistic, all CC out there is aiming to make them more realistic. I never played Sims 2 and for a very long time I thought this was how they looked:

xoqq1x.jpg

Just literally never.
    My problem with Sims 4 is, that I have no choice. There's no other way than to approach them cartoony and I just don't want that. I want to play with humans I can relate to.

@JoAnne65 do you mean that even if you use realistic CC... the art style of the worlds makes it still too cartoony for you in general? As there is amazing 'realistic' ts4 CC out there.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2016

xoqq1x.jpg

Just literally never.

That is a lie. There is a reason there is A LOT of Maxis match content for TS2 and TS4. (I have never used CC in TS3). And FYI I always try to put MMCC in my game (mostly makeup and wallpapers because this game lacks in both, a lot).
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • MegastephMegasteph Posts: 58 Member
    I dont think the Sims 4 is a failure per say, but i have to admit theres lots and lots of missing "cores" features from previous base Sims game. The thing is, in the recent years theres been a shift in the game industry. We have to understand that the gaming industry need to make money in order to develop games. The new standard is to makes games, take out a chunks of it and label it dlc or expansion pack to generate more revenues. The Sims 4 could still be the game we all had such high expectation but it does need more things added to it to be considered a good base game. Story progression and family tree for instance are mandatory imo in a game of this genre and has an history of having it by default. Sims 4 is a fun game, but i think EA or maxis executives made some really bad calls by removing so much and adding so little.
    NZsimm3r wrote: »

xoqq1x.jpg

Just literally never.

@JoAnne65 do you mean that even if you use realistic CC... the art style of the worlds makes it still too cartoony for you in general? As there is amazing 'realistic' ts4 CC out there.
    Not just the art style of the worlds, maybe even more the behaviour of the sims. Their animations and their facial expressions. Approaching them cartoony is in fact the only way for me to appreciate them and if I could embrace the gameplay I would in fact be able to embrace the sims I created. Without CC. This does not alter the fact though I prefer sims to behave like real human beings. Which doesn't mean I don't like it when my sims do silly stuff, but real human beings can do silly stuff too ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    You know there is a reason that Sims looks started out the way they did.

"Wright speaks for almost an hour, clicking through slides and concepts at warp speed. He explains that Sim faces were left deliberately abstract -- like those of Duplo or Playskool figurines -- so that players could project their own images onto the characters."
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
    edited April 2016
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

xoqq1x.jpg

Just literally never.

That is a lie. There is a reason there is A LOT of Maxis match content for TS2 and TS4. (I have never used CC in TS3). And FYI I always try to put MMCC in my game (mostly makeup and wallpapers because this game lacks in both, a lot).
    Yes, there is (a reason). My Sims 3 sim has a skin that matches Maxis; in fact that's the only reason I can stand it because I don't like CC in my game that changes my sims too much (and I've played my sims vanilla as well for all those years, this skin I have since one or two months or so). It matches Maxis but you can't deny it makes him more realistic than he was vanilla. I don't know what MMCC is by the way?

ETA: I don't know what you considered a lie by the way, but I genuinely thought sims in 2 looked like the CC girl.
    5JZ57S6.png

I agree, Sims look pretty awesome the way they are, Sims 3's look is awesome in it's own way, and Sims 4's look is just as awesome in it's own way, if they made Sims realistic, it would be somewhat boring.
    Why? Because human faces are boring? I don't mean uncanny valley by the way.
    5JZ57S6.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top