Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Poll Result from Sims VIP of the best Sims game in the series

Comments

• Options
    TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member
    Mendota wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Cinebar wrote: »
    Every online website poll of this sort is biased by self-selection: who sees the poll, and who chooses to answer it. Unless a survey has been conducted with statistically valid methods, including matching for demographic info, it's just a game. This one says "People who happened across this poll and chose to answer it answered it like this." A poll here would say the same thing. Neither tells us anything about the opinions of all Sims game owners. (That would be complicated to develop a survey for - do you survey only people who have played all four games? Do you find that info out and then report multiple sets of results? Do you correct for demographics of game owners? Do you even have that info to correct for?)

That's why I said the proof is in the pudding and in all fairness TS3's base game out sold everybody even my beloved TS2 base game, in it's first week. So, popularity is in the money not the polling.

Hold up, no it didn't. The Sims 2 has sold 6 million on PC. The Sims 3 sold 3 million in the first 3 months, but considerably dropped after the feedback from gamers regarding performance, and it slumped. In total, The Sims 3 has sold 10 million on all platforms as of 2014. EA wouldn't give a PC only number, and so it's hard to know. But the Sims 2 sold 13 million on all platforms as of 2014, so it's safe to say the Sims 2 is the biggest seller, not 3.

Everyone acts like the Sims 3 was bigger than The Sims 1 and 2, but it really wasn't. It had very short lived success because of the feedback. I remember when the Sims 3 leaked and everyone called it a BETA because they assumed based on performance, and yet when the final came out, it was the exact same version number and played exactly the same, and thats where it became a mess.

Thank you Jack! It is amazing to me how these Sims 3 players keep trying to change history and are oblivious to facts.
    Cinebar is not a 'these Sims 3 players'. She's a passionate defender of Sims 1 and 2. You seem to be quite oblivious to this fact though, even when it was mentioned before when you were attacking 'the Sims 3 player'.

I was referring to all the Sims 3 players who keep trying to claim that Sims 3 outsold the others, i.e the example being the person Jack was responding to. You get rather bothered when someone is critical of Sims 3, so you are in no position to point fingers at me.

You're in no position to point fingers either, I've seen you insult others for their opinions on the game. Before preaching about respect, please practice it yourself.
  • Options
    Simsfan9911Simsfan9911 Posts: 155 Member
    Wow! Look at all the rudeness in this thread! I'm going to stay out of it. Bye bye!

Agreed :p
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    If anyone wants a more civil thread to talk about their favorite game, this one is nice. It seems like a lot like the Sims 2 on it. http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/872633/just-want-the-communities-opinion-if-youre-bored-come-answer-some-sims-questions-feedback/
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Why is everyone arguing again

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member

Some people are very "passionate" when it comes to these "which one is better?" type of threads.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    So much drama over a plum poll :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVZul_oCWTE
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited January 2016
    @SimGuruDrake @SimStaffBethelle, you might have to step into this thread.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    SoapSuds wrote: »

Some people are very "passionate" when it comes to these "which one is better?" type of threads.

Oh yes, that old argument.

I usually try to keep my positive opinions on TS3 on the TS3 GD these days, where it belongs rather than creating an un necessary debate on here
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    I'm going to get back to the original discussion: I would hardly call SimsVIP biased, the SimsVIP is a news based Sims fan site. If SIms 4 is the current game, then they are going to cover it. THe second (if) the Sims 5 is reported, they'll move on and report that. Pointless arguments.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    Ellessarr wrote: »
    Ellessarr wrote: »
    this is really weird when the second most voted is sim 3 and not sims 2 since a big majority of the users here say which the sims 2 was the best sim game ever

You're confusing vocal minority for big majority :D

you can proof??? source please???

You should be the one who provides us with proof :D Can you even find 100 unique users on this forum who claim TS2 is the best Sims game ever? That doesn't even account the that 100 users nowhere constitute a majority on this forum.

You only get the impression that most people think TS2 is the best game because the same dozens or so people are posting over and over again. They are the definition of a vocal minority.
    Funny, I thought we were discussing favourite game. Was that a slip of the tongue?

That's Ellessarr's choice of words, not mine :p
    Touché, missed that ;) But:

But Sims 2 bashing is less popular.

I bash TS2 all the time :p The game doesn't hold a candle to TS4 if you ask me.
    I wasn't asking you. Nobody was.

I don't need anyone to ask me first to say anything :D
    Those were your words. 'if you ask me'. I didn't and it's not relevant. You bashing Sims 2 doesn't automatically make it popular.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    The people who like the game will rush to post pro TS4 polls and people who aren't so fond of it will do the opposite and publish statistics for their favorites. All the while they will be standing across from each other with their tongues stuck out going nanny-nanny-nanny.

Actually, most of the people who like the Sims 4 who've posted in this thread have been pretty quick to point out how meaningless this poll actually is. It's the people who hate the game and have been ragging all over Sims VIP that are making this poll a waaaaay bigger deal than it really is. I think it's because these boards are so amazingly inbred and myopic that the people who hate this game and post 1000's of posts about it to the affirmation of their clique of friends here tend to think they represent the majority of players. When something presents a view counter to that the scrambling begins...
    I think the Sims 4 defenders are blowing that up really.
    "Hm, yeah, on a Sims 4 related site, I'm not surprised. Why did you post these results on here?"
    "WAAH, WAAAAH, you're making a big thing out of it!!"
    "... wut.....?"
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Every online website poll of this sort is biased by self-selection: who sees the poll, and who chooses to answer it. Unless a survey has been conducted with statistically valid methods, including matching for demographic info, it's just a game. This one says "People who happened across this poll and chose to answer it answered it like this." A poll here would say the same thing. Neither tells us anything about the opinions of all Sims game owners. (That would be complicated to develop a survey for - do you survey only people who have played all four games? Do you find that info out and then report multiple sets of results? Do you correct for demographics of game owners? Do you even have that info to correct for?)

That's why I said the proof is in the pudding and in all fairness TS3's base game out sold everybody even my beloved TS2 base game, in it's first week. So, popularity is in the money not the polling.

Hold up, no it didn't. The Sims 2 has sold 6 million on PC. The Sims 3 sold 3 million in the first 3 months, but considerably dropped after the feedback from gamers regarding performance, and it slumped. In total, The Sims 3 has sold 10 million on all platforms as of 2014. EA wouldn't give a PC only number, and so it's hard to know. But the Sims 2 sold 13 million on all platforms as of 2014, so it's safe to say the Sims 2 is the biggest seller, not 3.

Everyone acts like the Sims 3 was bigger than The Sims 1 and 2, but it really wasn't. It had very short lived success because of the feedback. I remember when the Sims 3 leaked and everyone called it a BETA because they assumed based on performance, and yet when the final came out, it was the exact same version number and played exactly the same, and thats where it became a mess.

Thank you Jack! It is amazing to me how these Sims 3 players keep trying to change history and are oblivious to facts.
    Cinebar is not a 'these Sims 3 players'. She's a passionate defender of Sims 1 and 2. You seem to be quite oblivious to this fact though, even when it was mentioned before when you were attacking 'the Sims 3 player'.

I was referring to all the Sims 3 players who keep trying to claim that Sims 3 outsold the others, i.e the example being the person Jack was responding to. You get rather bothered when someone is critical of Sims 3, so you are in no position to point fingers at me.
    Sorry, weren't you praising Jack because he corrected someone who changed history there? And wasn't that someone Cinebar? I don't mind when people are critical about Sims 3 by the way (not that it's relevant here but ok). I'm quite critical about the game myself at many occasions, I can give you rants that will make your ears flap (paparazzi, the IP cave, the celebrity system, mermaid invasions, single sim culling, you name it). I never said or wrote however it outsold the other games because I don't know and quite frankly I don't care. I bought everything for it myself, that's all that matters to me. So yeah, I point when you refer to "these Sims 3 players" when it makes no sense at all.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    If something is your favorite then in your own mind it does mean it is better. Favorite to the individual means better or it wouldn't be favored. Think on it. It's a hidden subconscious thing, but if you favor something then to you it's better for some reason even if you don't realize what that reason is, or admit it. I presume the most answers (I have read) is because TS4 doesn't crash. That has been the number one answer on here most of the time. If a person posts what is in their mind first then that is their answer in reality. So, most people here first say they like TS4 'better' because it doesn't crash. Perhaps that is the reason people on this poll favored it more...because it doesn't crash. Not taking into account most people don't have a rig good enough for TS3 to start with in 2009.
    I don't quite agree with this. Sims 3 is my personal favourite Sims game, but that doesn't mean I think it's the best Sims game in general. I've seen too many people declare Sims 2 - in a very convincing way - is their favourite game, to claim that. Both games have a different approach and therefore some will prefer 2 and others will prefer 3. But no, calling a game your favourite definitely doesn't mean you think it's the best in general. Not for me.

It's my idea of why people favor things. If I like blue instead of red I would assume it's because I think blue is better. I only play the games I think are better than the others. Such as I loved the really old LOTR BFE. I never moved on to the second version because they changed the game, (EA) and no longer stuck to the story in books and film. Started adding their own 'monsters' to fight etc. I never went on to the LOTR online, either, though looked amazing. But I liked what EA and the company that owns the rights to the films did with the original game and wasn't thrilled about the newer versions. So, the old one is my favorite though the modern one that was online as free to pay looked amazing.

There has to me a reason you like TS3 better...and that would mean something in it just works better for you and therefore why it's your favorite but those things may or may not be important to me and why I prefer, favor TS2. Actually 'favoring' something does mean you subconsciously find something about it 'better'.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    The people who like the game will rush to post pro TS4 polls and people who aren't so fond of it will do the opposite and publish statistics for their favorites. All the while they will be standing across from each other with their tongues stuck out going nanny-nanny-nanny.

Actually, most of the people who like the Sims 4 who've posted in this thread have been pretty quick to point out how meaningless this poll actually is. It's the people who hate the game and have been ragging all over Sims VIP that are making this poll a waaaaay bigger deal than it really is. I think it's because these boards are so amazingly inbred and myopic that the people who hate this game and post 1000's of posts about it to the affirmation of their clique of friends here tend to think they represent the majority of players. When something presents a view counter to that the scrambling begins...

@monkeypants1, I checked on Ancestry.com, No, I'm not inbred. And sorry, no, I don't lack imagination or foresight etc. I don't belong to cliques, I despise cliques. My thousands of post is due to my stuff being transferred over here from TS3 days. When I also posted on feedback over there with what I wasn't happy with about that game. But my discussions on this site have been strictly been ones I started on purpose to bring light to the problems I have with EA's direction far away from the original idea to give people all the tools to let them figure out what they want to play and how without restrictions, as in sandbox, and stop forcing more and more RPG elements into the series. I complained about that on TS3, too. But what can you expect when the system relies on buffs and RPG moodlets/buff system.

The majority of players didn't move on to TS4. I happened to actually move on to TS4 and bought several things for it. But that doesn't mean I can't see where it leaves be feeling bored and not as excited and many of my play styles aren't in this game. And never will be. So, no my arguments on based on what's in and what's out and why that is lack luster to me. I have never said I hate it. I actually think some things in it are amazing like some animations I wanted for years. However, the gameplay is somewhat on a tiny budget and tiny ideas. After fifteen years, and all that money they made on the TS3 store...24 million...you would think this game would have bigger, dazzling ideas.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    edited January 2016
    @JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Those were your words. 'if you ask me'. I didn't and it's not relevant. You bashing Sims 2 doesn't automatically make it popular.

I added "if you ask me" precisely because you didn't ;) Why do I need to say that if you did :p

And I never implied me bashing TS2 makes it popular. It's a just fact I wanted to state because I do bash TS2 a lot on here. Whether you find my comment relevant or not is irrelevant; it's not my obligation to only say things you find relevant :D
    Post edited by elelunicy on
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,895 Member
    If something is your favorite then in your own mind it does mean it is better. Favorite to the individual means better or it wouldn't be favored. Think on it. It's a hidden subconscious thing, but if you favor something then to you it's better for some reason even if you don't realize what that reason is, or admit it. I presume the most answers (I have read) is because TS4 doesn't crash. That has been the number one answer on here most of the time. If a person posts what is in their mind first then that is their answer in reality. So, most people here first say they like TS4 'better' because it doesn't crash. Perhaps that is the reason people on this poll favored it more...because it doesn't crash. Not taking into account most people don't have a rig good enough for TS3 to start with in 2009.
    I don't quite agree with this. Sims 3 is my personal favourite Sims game, but that doesn't mean I think it's the best Sims game in general. I've seen too many people declare Sims 2 - in a very convincing way - is their favourite game, to claim that. Both games have a different approach and therefore some will prefer 2 and others will prefer 3. But no, calling a game your favourite definitely doesn't mean you think it's the best in general. Not for me.

It's my idea of why people favor things. If I like blue instead of red I would assume it's because I think blue is better. I only play the games I think are better than the others. Such as I loved the really old LOTR BFE. I never moved on to the second version because they changed the game, (EA) and no longer stuck to the story in books and film. Started adding their own 'monsters' to fight etc. I never went on to the LOTR online, either, though looked amazing. But I liked what EA and the company that owns the rights to the films did with the original game and wasn't thrilled about the newer versions. So, the old one is my favorite though the modern one that was online as free to pay looked amazing.

There has to me a reason you like TS3 better...and that would mean something in it just works better for you and therefore why it's your favorite but those things may or may not be important to me and why I prefer, favor TS2. Actually 'favoring' something does mean you subconsciously find something about it 'better'.

So this means you think the Sims 4 is better than the previous versions?
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member

He didn't say he likes The Sims 4 did he?

Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,895 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »

He didn't say he likes The Sims 4 did he?

She said she only plays the games she thinks are better than the others and I know she plays Sims 4. So the logical conclusion is that she thinks Sims 4 is the best. Unless she no plays the Sims 4.
  • Options
    ObscurusObscurus Posts: 626 Member
    The amount of "stop liking things I don't like" in this thread astounds me.

If I enjoy playing a certain game, no matter what my reasons are for enjoying it, I sure don't feel threatened by those who don't get similar kicks for playing it/even hate it. My enjoyment is still there for me to have, playing in my cozy gaming room to my heart's content. The only reason I wish for my favorite games to sell well, is that it basically guarantees more DLCs, thus adding to the game's longevity. And perhaps I find other fans in forums such as this to gush over that new hair or adorable animation.

About polls and votings... it's funny that when your favorite is in the lead, you rarely question whether the poll is accurate or not. And when it's the opposite... in politics, the losing party often attributes its loss to things like sleeping voters, bad weather on election day etc. and often going as far as claiming that the winning party only won because they were voted by X, where the X may be anything from single mothers, those between jobs and the juggling polar bears (nevermind that its insulting to imply that even IF the other party won because of these type of voters, that their vote would somehow hold less importance).

Yep, just rambling. Feel free to move along. ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2016

LOL, I never said I didn't like some of it. But I don't play it as much as I did TS2 it can't hold my attention. But I probably spend more time in build mode since in the last several weeks since the patches seem to not help game play or hinder gameplay in some ways. Like the last one that changed what your Sim can do in other Sims' homes. I didn't like that in TS3 and that was enough to make me not even start it up after that. But I do load buildmode, often.

ETA: 1. I bought GTW soon after release because of Alien pregnancy...that's gone. And Retail..well that's broken badly, now even worse than before with broken freezers.
    2. I bought Spa Day because of Spas...that's worn off
    3. I bought Cool Kitchen for Ice Cream machine for my retail shops...that's broken with broken freezers
    4. I bought GT For Windenburg...Cafes...well they didn't play out like I thought they would so no I haven't played the game in the last three weeks but only built stuff for others for Windeburg and Newcrest. Every time I think I 'might' like something (I do like the world very much) it gets torn up or changed. lol
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    SoapSuds wrote: »
    I'm surprised some unofficial poll has garnered this much of a response/discussion.

Mirroring what many have been saying for a while in this thread, this poll doesn't mean much. Shoot, I rarely think any poll means much considering most polls only take the opinion of a certain sample size and not the entire group of people it affects. This poll is no different, but then, I highly doubt this poll was really meant to be taken this seriously.

If the polling is done properly (this one doesn't come close to counting), you can learn how 10,000,000 people will react to 'x' based on the results of how 150 people (your randomly chosen sample) react to 'x'. 'Done properly' isn't easy..or cheap. So yeah, most polls are crud, and even the best need to be taken with a barrel of salt.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited January 2016
    Favorite does not equal best. Favorite equals best for that specific player. If TS2 the favorite because of the little detail and family play, then it's the best... for that player. If TS3 is the favorite because of Open World and CAST, then that's the best... for that player.

Can we just clear this topic up now?
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited January 2016
    Of course 4 was going to win - the main people viewing that website will be Sims 4 fans. Players of 2 and 3 who dislike or have no interest in 4, won't be visiting that website much or even at all as they will have no reason to visit it regularly - development for 2 and 3 has stopped therefore there will be no news about those games. The website is of no use to these players.

Now if that poll had been on a website with a wider readership, I imagine the results would be different.

Websites do polls all the time and you often find the exact same poll conducted on different websites yielding different results. They're useless.

No one should need any validation of their likes. If you enjoy something, great for you. It shouldn't mater if others do not enjoy the same things are you. It is not a personal attack if they describe why they dislike the thing you like.
  • Options
    Wasting_NightWasting_Night Posts: 800 Member
    I can't say I'm surprised with the result.

OF COURSE
    TS4 is gonna win - it's the latest game in the series and most if not all of the people who come to SimsVIP are there to get news for TS4. Most of the fans of previous Sims games are either too busy playing the game or became too frustrated at the site's bias towards TS4 and left.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited January 2016

I haven't read through this topic in a couple of days BUT saying the Sims 3 had a very short lived success is rather (as in A LOT) inaccurate. A company doesn't make ELEVEN expansion packs and NINE stuff packs and a store literally CRAMMED WITH A MYRIAD of objects and an additional TWELVE worlds for a release that was a "short lived success". Simcity '13 was a "short lived success", in fact the perfect definition of one, while the Sims 3 was a huge success and continued the tradition of multiple releases over five years.
    Also, if Sims 3 was success was short lived I am quite sure Sims 3 would have been archived by now. Yeah I had to take a double take on that post being all said was just a assumption unless one sits in the board meetings in the morning and looks at Powerpoint or Excel spreadsheets showing how shortlived Sims 3 was supposed to be.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen