Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Comments

• Options
    Simulator4Simulator4 Posts: 652 Member
    edited November 2015

I have a lot more leeway even in The Sims 2 for creating a Community Lot.

As far as "Get Together" is concerned....I have a feeling even the Clubs will be limited to checklists and to-do lists...and they won't be nearly as open-ended as they should be. It'll be just another case of..."Oh, we never thought of this"...or..."That detail didn't occur to us." Just like they didn't think that when a Sim retires from one of the open careers they immediately lose skills and access to objects they had legitimately earned, but can no longer use. Limiting, much?

This might as well be just another tablet game.[/quote]Where do we have lists what to do? I do what I want in the game I don't follow a list or task sheet.

[/quote]

So, when you build a bar or a lounge, you put in whatever furniture you feel like it, and ignore the requirements that the game demands that you put in your bar so that it can actually be recognized by the game as a bar? You actually build a spa and don't put in whatever it requires such as a massage table? Oh, but then, those aren't exactly lists...those are guidelines.

And, I suppose your police officer, your doctor or your scientist ignores the task lists they're supposed to tick off as they do them so that they can make the most money. But, of course, that's what motherlode is for. The truth of the matter is that you can't build your bar, your lounge, your spa, your gym, your museum or whatever without putting in *every* object that it tells you to put in, or your community lot will be considered unfinished. Whereas, in the Sims 2, I can go into a community lot, and not a list in sight. Ditto for the Sims 3, except for the zoning. But even if your community lot is zoned as a hangout, there's no required furniture....just whatever your mind envisions and what common sense tells you should be there (such as a bathroom). As a side-note, I recently remodeled the big shopping mall that comes with Open For Business after I stuck it in Pleasantview. It now has a small bowling alley and a little arcade and geek section where Sims can have a LAN gaming session. And, not a list in sight. Sheer bliss.

Deny all you want, but you don't do exactly what you want in the game...because, in doing what you want, you end up satisfying the list, to the point where you eventually satisfy all the tasks required of you when playing your open career Sim, or going on a date with your Sim. And, every once in a while, you actually earn a reward along the way, even though you're doing your own thing, because you somehow or another managed to tick every item on that to-do list.
    [/quote]

Isn't it wonderful that we have 4 versions to play? Something for everyone! <3
  • Options
    MaddannaMaddanna Posts: 127 Member
    Simulator4 wrote: »
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    Is ea piecing thesims 4 together like one huge puzzle? You would think that this was the first sim game ever made the way that they are so hit and miss mostly miss in this game. Why are they complicating this
    Game? It's not like they didn't have the sims 1,and 2
    To build from. They already had the perfect mold I truly don't get it.
    No matter how many times you make these threads, it's not going to change anything. The sims 4 is supposed to be something new and unique, not a carbon copy of a previous game. And this is an issue with many simmers on this forum. They complain about how they want the sims 4 to be like 2/3, but won't bother to just play them instead of complaining about how 4 isn't the same.
    And if the sims 4 was an exact replica of past games people would complain about that as well.

And where did anyone say they wanted a carbon copy? Please link to any statements you've ever seen that what people are looking for is exactly the same. In all my time here I've never, ever, seen it but it seems to be an assumption you often use. I'd like to see where you get that from.

I reiterate my point. Please show exactly where someone ever said they wanted a carbon copy. You like the game, fab. But it doesn't mean people asking for better 'just want a carbon copy'.

I experienced 4 base games. With each game pre TS4 I just abandoned the old game to embrace the new game. The problem isn't *me* it's the limits put on this game by wasting two thirds of its development time and budget on a game that never came to market and this game we bought was scraped together at the last minute and pushed out of the door too early. Which btw EA says was on Maxis.

Just curious. Do you copy and paste your replies because you say the same thing no matter what the topic.
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    This isn't a new game. This is a game that was made for Achievers who like ticking things off a list and being told what to do. Players don't rule and don't control in The Sims 4. Instead, the game tells players what they must do if they want their Sim ton succeed in a career, especially the open careers.

The game tells players the kind of furniture they must have in a community lot such as a bar, or else the game won't recognize the lot unless that checklist has been met. Heck, I could open a bar simply by putting the objects in and nothing else on an open plot of land, no walls or anything...and it would be a bar as long as the list was checked off.

As far as "Get Together" is concerned....I have a feeling even the Clubs will be limited to checklists and to-do lists...and they won't be nearly as open-ended as they should be. It'll be just another case of..."Oh, we never thought of this"...or..."That detail didn't occur to us." Just like they didn't think that when a Sim retires from one of the open careers they immediately lose skills and access to objects they had legitimately earned, but can no longer use. Limiting, much?

This might as well be just another tablet game.
    Where do we have lists what to do? I do what I want in the game I don't follow a list or task sheet.

So, when you build a bar or a lounge, you put in whatever furniture you feel like it, and ignore the requirements that the game demands that you put in your bar so that it can actually be recognized by the game as a bar? You actually build a spa and don't put in whatever it requires such as a massage table? Oh, but then, those aren't exactly lists...those are guidelines.

And, I suppose your police officer, your doctor or your scientist ignores the task lists they're supposed to tick off as they do them so that they can make the most money. But, of course, that's what motherlode is for. The truth of the matter is that you can't build your bar, your lounge, your spa, your gym, your museum or whatever without putting in *every* object that it tells you to put in, or your community lot will be considered unfinished. Whereas, in the Sims 2, I can go into a community lot, and not a list in sight. Ditto for the Sims 3, except for the zoning. But even if your community lot is zoned as a hangout, there's no required furniture....just whatever your mind envisions and what common sense tells you should be there (such as a bathroom). As a side-note, I recently remodeled the big shopping mall that comes with Open For Business after I stuck it in Pleasantview. It now has a small bowling alley and a little arcade and geek section where Sims can have a LAN gaming session. And, not a list in sight. Sheer bliss.

Deny all you want, but you don't do exactly what you want in the game...because, in doing what you want, you end up satisfying the list, to the point where you eventually satisfy all the tasks required of you when playing your open career Sim, or going on a date with your Sim. And, every once in a while, you actually earn a reward along the way, even though you're doing your own thing, because you somehow or another managed to tick every item on that to-do list.

We appreciate your negativity towards other players views and valid complaints. There are those who stand with TS4 on positive ground that have constructively put their points across and expressed their love for it in a civilised way to encourage discussion. They DO exists, we appreciate those more. We are aware of our options, we don't need your rude reminder. Thank you.
  • Options
    ModifienModifien Posts: 363 Member
    > @Maddanna said:
    > azxcvbnm321 wrote: »
    >
    > Look, for those of you who don't understand, let me be as concise as possible. It is NOT ok for Maxis to change the genre of the Sims series. The Sims was a SANDBOX simulator. What made the Sims revolutionary in the first place was the lack of "win states". Meaning that you couldn't win, or that "winning" wasn't something that the game dealt with. The game didn't tell you what to do, it allowed you to do what you wanted and gave you the tools to do so.
    >
    > Sims 4 is not a sandbox simulator. We are given goals and objectives to complete so that we can unlock items, but why? Why are these items locked in the first place? It's like someone locking away paint brushes in an art classroom. Why take away some of our tools that we could have used to create our sandbox stories?
    >
    > Sorry but it is not OK to change the focus of an entire series. It is perfectly reasonable for us to be upset by such a drastic move! Imagine that you go into McDonalds for a Big Mac, only to discover that the Big Mac is no longer a hamburger but a cold sandwich instead! You expected a hamburger because the Big Mac has always been a hamburger, but then someone says, get over it, it would be boring if they kept the Big Mac the same. Well fine, add some innovations, but KEEP IT A HAMBURGER! Call me crazy for wanting the Sims to be a sandbox game!!! Call me unreasonable that I expect a sequel to be in the same genre, the same category as the games before it! I and others have every right and reason to be upset and disgusted with this sham of a Sims game.
    >
    > And Maxis has been defending your right to voice that opinion, 'to keep yelling' at them. You shouldn't have to defend your right to state that in the presence of 'satisfied customers'. I don't think they're even trying to understand or that they don't understand. What I don't understand is the continuous assault on POV's, how is it beneficial?

Part of the reason those who defend it do so, maybe, is because we're worried that if we don't speak up, Maxis might think everyone hates it. People who hate it also post on the boards defending it. People want to make their opinions heard, even when the overwhelming consensus in a thread might be against them.

I would be unhappy if the game was more like previous versions. I did get frustrated with the locked items and event goals, but since I've discovered bb.ignoregameplayunlocksentitlement command, I've been happy to ignore them to play them as I want. I don't view it as cheating, any more than bb.moveobjects is cheating.

I also don't feel bad about ignoring daily checklists at work, if I feel that they interrupt my 'story'. When my science sim was a serum sequencer, I had him focus on creating serums, and did other tasks as they seemed to fit. When I felt like it, I testingcheats true , careers.promote scientist , and had him become a technological innovator to focus on inventions.

I feel like the base game is there for people who need guidance, and like that. There are a lot of those people. And the cheats are there for the people who want to play without those constraints.

I don't understand the people who say they want to play sandbox without cheating. These are literally there for you to use. It would be nice, however, if Maxis added a list of check boxes in the game settings windows next to autonomy and aging, where you could toggle event goals, career locks, etc. That would be nice.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

You see the thing is that people deserve to get the genre they anticipated. I and others had all expectations of getting a blank canvas sandbox "Sim" game and not a paint by number. There are hundreds of games on the market that are available for people who wants lists, levels and winning. The Sims has been unique and now it's another do this to get that game.

In the past with previous versions I've seen people post things like "What do I do now?" because they can't think of things to do while others were bursting with so many ideas there weren't enough hours in the day to play them all. The developers have effectively removed so much it's more likely you'll see posts that say "I've played for a few hours, I'm bored what do I do now?"

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Modifien wrote: »
    > @Maddanna said:
    > azxcvbnm321 wrote: »
    >
    > Look, for those of you who don't understand, let me be as concise as possible. It is NOT ok for Maxis to change the genre of the Sims series. The Sims was a SANDBOX simulator. What made the Sims revolutionary in the first place was the lack of "win states". Meaning that you couldn't win, or that "winning" wasn't something that the game dealt with. The game didn't tell you what to do, it allowed you to do what you wanted and gave you the tools to do so.
    >
    > Sims 4 is not a sandbox simulator. We are given goals and objectives to complete so that we can unlock items, but why? Why are these items locked in the first place? It's like someone locking away paint brushes in an art classroom. Why take away some of our tools that we could have used to create our sandbox stories?
    >
    > Sorry but it is not OK to change the focus of an entire series. It is perfectly reasonable for us to be upset by such a drastic move! Imagine that you go into McDonalds for a Big Mac, only to discover that the Big Mac is no longer a hamburger but a cold sandwich instead! You expected a hamburger because the Big Mac has always been a hamburger, but then someone says, get over it, it would be boring if they kept the Big Mac the same. Well fine, add some innovations, but KEEP IT A HAMBURGER! Call me crazy for wanting the Sims to be a sandbox game!!! Call me unreasonable that I expect a sequel to be in the same genre, the same category as the games before it! I and others have every right and reason to be upset and disgusted with this sham of a Sims game.
    >
    > And Maxis has been defending your right to voice that opinion, 'to keep yelling' at them. You shouldn't have to defend your right to state that in the presence of 'satisfied customers'. I don't think they're even trying to understand or that they don't understand. What I don't understand is the continuous assault on POV's, how is it beneficial?

Part of the reason those who defend itmaybe, is because we're worried that if we don't speak up, Maxis might think everyone hates it. People who hate it also post on the boards defending it. People want to make their opinions heard, even when the overwhelming consensus in a thread might be against them.

I would be unhappy if the game was more like previous versions. I did get frustrated with the locked items and event goals, but since I've discovered bb.ignoregameplayunlocksentitlement command, I've been happy to ignore them to play them as I want. I don't view it as cheating, any more than bb.moveobjects is cheating.

I also don't feel bad about ignoring daily checklists at work, if I feel that they interrupt my 'story'. When my science sim was a serum sequencer, I had him focus on creating serums, and did other tasks as they seemed to fit. When I felt like it, I testingcheats true , careers.promote scientist , and had him become a technological innovator to focus on inventions.

I feel like the base game is there for people who need guidance, and like that. There are a lot of those people. And the cheats are there for the people who want to play without those constraints.

I don't understand the people who say they want to play sandbox without cheating. These are literally there for you to use. It would be nice, however, if Maxis added a list of check boxes in the game settings windows next to autonomy and aging, where you could toggle event goals, career locks, etc. That would be nice.

I understand your point but I think you slightly missed mine, my issue is the attack on POV. There are quite a few persons who have been speaking up about their love of the game whom I either don't mind or who've actually brought a POV to the table that I can appreciate. I'm saying attacking POV is not beneficial no matter where you stand on the game and there's no reason to be scared. As an intelligent person you've pointed out that modifications can be made to a ceetain aspect to broaden the pool of players the game appeals to while keeping those that currently love the game. That is the position I take too, for the appeal pool to broaden not change with regards to the game as a whole. Your existense as someone who currently likes the game doesn't threaten the likelihood of Maxis appealing to mine without interfering with yours. I would assume that Maxis wants to appeal to as many players/player types as possible to maximise potential profits. Most of us want this game to succeed but still feel included, no? I can live without one or two features I love not being present in the game as I had to with TS3 and as I knew I had to with TS4. However I find that my playstyle has been severely alienated and the sims aren't as responsive as they've been advertised to be. My story feels like I have bad actors starring it when they're unphased by death, cheating, being enemies etc. I read your comment without getting offended, I assume I've successfully comprehended your point, acknowledged plus respect your POV even though it differs from mine and attempted to elaborate on my previous point since I think you've slightly missed it all within a context of civility. Most of us on the forums are old enough to understand how to engage in civilised discussions, why can't such a vast number of us exercise this?
  • Options
    > @Maddanna said:
    > Modifien wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I understand your point but I think you slightly missed mine, my issue is the attack on POV. There are quite a few persons who have been speaking up about their love of the game whom I either don't mind or who've actually brought a POV to the table that I can appreciate. I'm saying attacking POV is not beneficial no matter where you stand on the game and there's no reason to be scared. As an intelligent person you've pointed out that modifications can be made to a ceetain aspect to broaden the pool of players the game appeals to while keeping those that currently love the game. That is the position I take too, for the appeal pool to broaden not change with regards to the game as a whole. Your existense as someone who currently likes the game doesn't threaten the likelihood of Maxis appealing to mine without interfering with yours. I would assume that Maxis wants to appeal to as many players/player types as possible to maximise potential profits. Most of us want this game to succeed but still feel included, no? I can live without one or two features I love not being present in the game as I had to with TS3 and as I knew I had to with TS4. However I find that my playstyle has been severely alienated and the sims aren't as responsive as they've been advertised to be. My story feels like I have bad actors starring it when they're unphased by death, cheating, being enemies etc. I read your comment without getting offended, I assume I've successfully comprehended your point, acknowledged plus respect your POV even though it differs from mine and attempted to elaborate on my previous point since I think you've slightly missed it all within a context of civility. Most of us on the forums are old enough to understand how to engage in civilised discussions, why can't such a vast number of us exercise this?

I did misunderstand, I'm sorry. Unfortunately, you're right about personal attacks on peoples' opinions. Not everyone is mature enough to understand that a different opinion is not an attack on their own opinions. And, again, not everyone's mature enough to state their opinion without attacking the opinions of others.

Hopefully more people will take your post in the spirit it was meant. But basically, we're all just basically old men, yelling at clouds here. I'm pretty sure Maxis has heard all they need to/want to hear. I do wonder how responsive they'll be, actually. As someone else mentioned, it'll be really interesting to see if Get Together has goals or not. I think the answer to that will be the answer to that question.
  • Options
    @Modifien you said
    Hopefully more people will take your post in the spirit it was meant. But basically, we're all just basically old men, yelling at clouds here. I'm pretty sure Maxis has heard all they need to/want to hear. I do wonder how responsive they'll be, actually. As someone else mentioned, it'll be really interesting to see if Get Together has goals or not. I think the answer to that will be the answer to that question.
    They have actually asked players to "keep yelling" at them.

http://www.ibtimes.com/sims-4-producer-wants-players-keep-yelling-us-online-ea-listening-1702211
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Simulator4Simulator4 Posts: 652 Member
    Maddanna wrote: »
    Simulator4 wrote: »
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    Is ea piecing thesims 4 together like one huge puzzle? You would think that this was the first sim game ever made the way that they are so hit and miss mostly miss in this game. Why are they complicating this
    Game? It's not like they didn't have the sims 1,and 2
    To build from. They already had the perfect mold I truly don't get it.
    No matter how many times you make these threads, it's not going to change anything. The sims 4 is supposed to be something new and unique, not a carbon copy of a previous game. And this is an issue with many simmers on this forum. They complain about how they want the sims 4 to be like 2/3, but won't bother to just play them instead of complaining about how 4 isn't the same.
    And if the sims 4 was an exact replica of past games people would complain about that as well.

And where did anyone say they wanted a carbon copy? Please link to any statements you've ever seen that what people are looking for is exactly the same. In all my time here I've never, ever, seen it but it seems to be an assumption you often use. I'd like to see where you get that from.

I reiterate my point. Please show exactly where someone ever said they wanted a carbon copy. You like the game, fab. But it doesn't mean people asking for better 'just want a carbon copy'.

I experienced 4 base games. With each game pre TS4 I just abandoned the old game to embrace the new game. The problem isn't *me* it's the limits put on this game by wasting two thirds of its development time and budget on a game that never came to market and this game we bought was scraped together at the last minute and pushed out of the door too early. Which btw EA says was on Maxis.

Just curious. Do you copy and paste your replies because you say the same thing no matter what the topic.
    This isn't a new game. This is a game that was made for Achievers who like ticking things off a list and being told what to do. Players don't rule and don't control in The Sims 4. Instead, the game tells players what they must do if they want their Sim ton succeed in a career, especially the open careers.

The game tells players the kind of furniture they must have in a community lot such as a bar, or else the game won't recognize the lot unless that checklist has been met. Heck, I could open a bar simply by putting the objects in and nothing else on an open plot of land, no walls or anything...and it would be a bar as long as the list was checked off.

This might as well be just another tablet game.
    Where do we have lists what to do? I do what I want in the game I don't follow a list or task sheet.

We appreciate your negativity towards other players views and valid complaints. There are those who stand with TS4 on positive ground that have constructively put their points across and expressed their love for it in a civilised way to encourage discussion. They DO exists, we appreciate those more. We are aware of our options, we don't need your rude reminder. Thank you.

@sparkfairy1, I apologize from the bottom of my heart for that comment. There is no excuse for it. I never meant to post it but when quoting @PHOEBESMOM601 I didn't realize it was still in the comment box.
  • Options
    > @PHOEBESMOM601 said:
    > Modifien you said .
    > Hopefully more people will take your post in the spirit it was meant. But basically, we're all just basically old men, yelling at clouds here. I'm pretty sure Maxis has heard all they need to/want to hear. I do wonder how responsive they'll be, actually. As someone else mentioned, it'll be really interesting to see if Get Together has goals or not. I think the answer to that will be the answer to that question.
    >
    >
    >
    > They have actually asked players to "keep yelling" at them.
    >

I work for a large, multi-national company. Their customer service department has a saying: 'packaging s**t into a present'. You take the angry and/or insulting loads that people throw at you, you smile, you say a warm thank you, and tell them that you are so grateful for their feedback, and excited to be able to improve your product/service.

Of course, you do pay attention, and if enough complaints of the same type come in, you do keep it in consideration. It can cause change. But that article doesn't really say, to me, that they mean it the way some people have taken it. I'm certain they're well aware of the main complaints. I'm not sure how much they'll choose to do about them, or if they're even still listening, or just keeping a finger in the water and adding the continued complaints to a footnote of a report somewhere.

As I mentioned, it will be interesting to see what happens with Get Together. To me, that will be a good indicator of whether they plan to give some offerings to the sandbox people, or whether they plan to stick to the groundwork of this iteration.
  • Options
    > @PHOEBESMOM601 said:
    > Modifien you said .
    > Hopefully more people will take your post in the spirit it was meant. But basically, we're all just basically old men, yelling at clouds here. I'm pretty sure Maxis has heard all they need to/want to hear. I do wonder how responsive they'll be, actually. As someone else mentioned, it'll be really interesting to see if Get Together has goals or not. I think the answer to that will be the answer to that question.
    >
    >
    >
    > They have actually asked players to "keep yelling" at them.
    >

I work for a large, multi-national company. Their customer service department has a saying: 'packaging s**t into a present'. You take the angry and/or insulting loads that people throw at you, you smile, you say a warm thank you, and tell them that you are so grateful for their feedback, and excited to be able to improve your product/service.

Of course, you do pay attention, and if enough complaints of the same type come in, you do keep it in consideration. It can cause change. But that article doesn't really say, to me, that they mean it the way some people have taken it. I'm certain they're well aware of the main complaints. I'm not sure how much they'll choose to do about them, or if they're even still listening, or just keeping a finger in the water and adding the continued complaints to a footnote of a report somewhere.

As I mentioned, it will be interesting to see what happens with Get Together. To me, that will be a good indicator of whether they plan to give some offerings to the sandbox people, or whether they plan to stick to the groundwork of this iteration.

I'm very familiar with customer service and PR lip service. Had so many fans not been angry, disappointed or unhappy there wouldn't have been a reason for the article. They could have just pretended everything was fine.
  • Options
    To me, that article read as pure PR lip service. To me, it lacked any sort of solid phrases that would indicate that they were doing more than acknowledging the complaints.
  • Options
    To me, that article read as pure PR lip service. To me, it lacked any sort of solid phrases that would indicate that they were doing more than acknowledging the complaints.

I do wonder just would or wouldn't have been added back to the game if those complaints hadn't been made. I do think GT was delayed because of the backlash it's announcement set off.
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    edited November 2015
    (Wrong thread. Oops!)
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    About open world and venues:

Personally, I was never bothered not every single venue was open. That allowed me to send my sim(s) off to do something while I managed other sims without worry. I also didn't have to go through a loading screen to check up on the others (That. Is. A. Nuisance. Especially when my sim is only across the street or next door).

I agree. Rabbit holes were convenient when I wanted to stay home with one Sim to work on skills or accomplish something. I've tried to do that a few times in 4 but the game really makes you choose. The Sims I've sent off and not followed to the new careers don't advance so I have to decide ...... stay home with one Sim or follow the other to work. I could get them one of the jobs where they just walk off the screen but then the game is making me choose again.
  • Options
    > @PHOEBESMOM601 said:

> I do wonder just would or wouldn't have been added back to the game if those complaints hadn't been made. I do think GT was delayed because of the backlash it's announcement set off.

That's a good question, but I think the answer can only be speculated. Complaining does create results, and sometimes those results take a long time to produce. But it can also end up in the situation where people continue to complain, and the company turns a deaf ear and remains silent, rather than say frankly that they hear the complaints, but they're happy with what they're doing, and don't have any intentions of changing that.

I'm definitely not saying that's the case at all. I'm sure they've heard the anger about these particular issues (goals, toddlers, open-world, etc), and have seen the vehemence and numbers that share this opinion. If they plan on changing anything, I'm certain they know already and are already working on it. We'll never know until either it's changed, or this iteration is ended and it never came to be.

That sounds rather nihilist. That wasn't the intention at all. It can be useful to complain. It's just also useful to know where you are on the scale of 'constructive complaining' to 'old man yells at sky'. There comes a point, eventually, where it feels like yelling into the wind. I don't work at Maxis, obviously, so I don't know where these topics are on that scale, but I would think closer to the yelling at clouds end now.

But, like I mentioned before, people who defend the game do so in fear that Maxis will think no one likes it as it is, and will possibly change it in a way that changes the features they like. People who are angry likely feel that they need to keep saying it, again and again, for fear of Maxis thinking that people have gotten used to it, and therefore won't change it to suit their needs.

But I guess topics like "Hey Maxis, just checking in. Still unhappy about not having open-ended play. I miss toddlers, too. Respectfully yours, Me." wouldn't be that interesting.
  • Options
    @Modifien

Are you suggesting that the disappointed players are the ones guilty of nihilism? If so I'd argue the opposite. The disappointed players passionately believe in the game and want it to better and deeper.

As to the defenders. Everyone here is here for the love of the game. If the players who are satisfied joined their voices with the unhappy players everyone would benefit with a better game. To me better is always good. There is a pervading feeling here of "I have what I want why don't you get on board or do something else" attitude.
  • Options
    > @PHOEBESMOM601 said:
    > Modifien
    >
    > Are you suggesting that the disappointed players are the ones guilty of nihilism? If so I'd argue the opposite. The disappointed players passionately believe in the game and want it to better and deeper.
    >
    > As to the defenders. Everyone here is here for the love of the game. If the players who are satisfied joined their voices with the unhappy players everyone would benefit with a better game. To me better is always good. There is a pervading feeling here of "I have what I want why don't you get on board or do something else" attitude.

Not at all, I said my comment was nihilistic. :) I agree with you in the second-to-last paragraph.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    > @PHOEBESMOM601 said:

> I do wonder just would or wouldn't have been added back to the game if those complaints hadn't been made. I do think GT was delayed because of the backlash it's announcement set off.

That's a good question, but I think the answer can only be speculated. Complaining does create results, and sometimes those results take a long time to produce. But it can also end up in the situation where people continue to complain, and the company turns a deaf ear and remains silent, rather than say frankly that they hear the complaints, but they're happy with what they're doing, and don't have any intentions of changing that.

I'm definitely not saying that's the case at all. I'm sure they've heard the anger about these particular issues (goals, toddlers, open-world, etc), and have seen the vehemence and numbers that share this opinion. If they plan on changing anything, I'm certain they know already and are already working on it. We'll never know until either it's changed, or this iteration is ended and it never came to be.

That sounds rather nihilist. That wasn't the intention at all. It can be useful to complain. It's just also useful to know where you are on the scale of 'constructive complaining' to 'old man yells at sky'. There comes a point, eventually, where it feels like yelling into the wind. I don't work at Maxis, obviously, so I don't know where these topics are on that scale, but I would think closer to the yelling at clouds end now.

But, like I mentioned before, people who defend the game do so in fear that Maxis will think no one likes it as it is, and will possibly change it in a way that changes the features they like. People who are angry likely feel that they need to keep saying it, again and again, for fear of Maxis thinking that people have gotten used to it, and therefore won't change it to suit their needs.

But I guess topics like "Hey Maxis, just checking in. Still unhappy about not having open-ended play. I miss toddlers, too. Respectfully yours, Me." wouldn't be that interesting.

Just to add to your point. I believe the bigger issue, as you were elaborating on, is that people do not know how much of what's being voiced is taken into consideration and how much it weighs on their priority list. This used to be eased with more communication from Maxis/TS studio (for the most part). Even a simple 'we are aware and currently in the process of (insert broadly interpreted PR slogan here)', the 'we are listening' ain't working. Those who anxiously await favourable additions/modifications don't know whether to give up or wait and those who like it don't know if there will be dire changes. It has fans on all sorts of standing with the game worried. The silence leaves the impression that they are going forward with what they think is best while turning a mostly deaf ear to what fans (of varying views) want.

On another note @Simulator4 that was very responsible of you to apologise
  • Options
    sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    Why did my sims just start standing around doing nothing all of the sudden?
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member

Yeah mine is doing that as well, in the past they went and did their own thing if left unattended. I purposely sat and did nothing for ten minutes and watch and both just stood there and did nothing but you still get those clouds of thoughts.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options

Is this the problem you have been having?

http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2015/09/free-willauto-solve-doesnt-work/
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    There are a lot of the same type of complaints about Sims 3 because people noticed an ominous change in the direction of the game to be more goal oriented and less player driven. There was an uproar over World Adventures, an EP I happen to like, but at least World Adventures gave us a whole bunch of new plants and three new skills including nectar making, one of my favorites.

People are now very frustrated because they've been telling Maxis since the first Sims 3 EP. We want more interactions and more ways to "do stuff" plus more ways to build and create. Sims 4 isn't even in the same genre as predecessors like as SImCity2013 wasn't. Now we are very afraid that Maxis will announce, like they did with SimCity, that they'll never create another life simulator game again.

Could very well happen.
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    edited November 2015
    Darkling wrote: »
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Haids5987 wrote: »
    Ugggghhhhhhhh. People, seriously. I remember these exact same complaints from when TS3 was released. Slow loading. Hard for Sims to build relationships. Buggy, laggy, etc.

I know that TS4 isn't perfect, believe me. I have my own personal gripes with it as well. But I have been on these forums since the original The Sims website, and I can tell you that every time a sequel is produced, Simmers have delusions of grandeur from the previous installment, that "there were never complaints" about X, Y, and Z before, and that "we never had these problems before," etc, etc, etc.

I dug through some of my old posts and I even found a thread from 2011 that an unhappy TS3 Simmer made about possibly writing angry letters to EA, and I don't even think it had been 2 years since TS3 had been released. So relax. Chug from the juice keg. Paint a masterpiece. Know that there are bumps and bruises with every new installment. And remember that when (if) TS5 comes out, there will be a whole new bag of complaints and frustrations and deluded comparisons from TS4 to TS5.
    That topic lasted one page. You have more?

Nope. Digging through 5 years worth of threads is not fun. I was just giving an example.
    Yes. An example of a one page long thread of complaining (about glitches and bugs as far as I can see by the way, totally with them on that one), including you. Not convinced, sorry ;)

I did a google search and found these on the first page. There were a lot of complaints about the sims 3 but, we do forget.
    the last site I found the comments to sound like the comments made about the sims 4.
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/464189.page
    http://snootysims.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29322
    http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/any-complaints-about-the-sims-3.180903925/
    http://www.snootysims.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29322&start=20
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/COMPLAINT-SIMS-3/td-p/1364622
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/entertainment/ea-games.html
    http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/the-sims-3-missouri-c210524.html

Did you actually read these threads/articles? Just because the terms "TS3" and "complaints" kicked up a search result on Google doesn't mean that they are all hardcore complaints about TS3.

First Link: Complaint about a TS3 Demo/Teaser that they had out.

Second Link: A thread criticizing the people who had the gall to complain about the unfinished and pirated copy of TS3 that they illegally downloaded before release.

Fourth Link: The second page of the above thread.

Sixth Link: Deals with EA's questionable customer service with regards to all of their offerings, TS3 being mentioned alongside many other games and services.

...now the people from the seventh link I gotta admit just straight up hated TS3! :D

No I did not read them all I did read #7 like you said. I just listed the complaints that were on the first page! I did read parts of them. I was just making the point that sims 3 had complaints and the last one as I mentioned as you call #7 I did read some of the comments from others. That was just not one person that hated the sims 3 the comments showed more hated it.
    These might also help and I looked at them! https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/comments/17imai/we_all_love_the_sims_but_whats_your_biggest/
    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Review-Sims-3-18020.html
    http://consumerist.com/2013/04/12/4-years-after-launch-sims-3-for-mac-still-sucks-and-ea-doesnt-care/ To me the game should have been able to play for everyone. Apparently it was not!
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    People may have hated the Sims 3, but not to the extent that the community was divided between satisfied customers and dissatisfied customers like this game is. I think that's because there were enough similarities between The Sims 2 and the Sims 3 base games that most people found the base game engaging, largely because of the open world and CASt.

I remember people complaining about the changes made to the game from TS2 style of game play to TS3 style of game play, but I don't remember them complaining that enormous chunks of the game were left out. I also recall being irritated about some little things that were left out of the game, such as the ability to own a car so that the car pool would no longer come. I had to use a mod to solve that issue. There were some things left out, but they were minor details...the difference didn't include the exclusion of an entire life stage, for example.

The Sims 4 is, in my opinion, not even on the same level of gameplay as either the Sims 2 or the Sims 3. It's more equivalent to Free Play, minus the real world time frame.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Darkling wrote: »
    Ugggghhhhhhhh. People, seriously. I remember these exact same complaints from when TS3 was released. Slow loading. Hard for Sims to build relationships. Buggy, laggy, etc.

I know that TS4 isn't perfect, believe me. I have my own personal gripes with it as well. But I have been on these forums since the original The Sims website, and I can tell you that every time a sequel is produced, Simmers have delusions of grandeur from the previous installment, that "there were never complaints" about X, Y, and Z before, and that "we never had these problems before," etc, etc, etc.

I dug through some of my old posts and I even found a thread from 2011 that an unhappy TS3 Simmer made about possibly writing angry letters to EA, and I don't even think it had been 2 years since TS3 had been released. So relax. Chug from the juice keg. Paint a masterpiece. Know that there are bumps and bruises with every new installment. And remember that when (if) TS5 comes out, there will be a whole new bag of complaints and frustrations and deluded comparisons from TS4 to TS5.
    That topic lasted one page. You have more?

Nope. Digging through 5 years worth of threads is not fun. I was just giving an example.
    Yes. An example of a one page long thread of complaining (about glitches and bugs as far as I can see by the way, totally with them on that one), including you. Not convinced, sorry ;)

I did a google search and found these on the first page. There were a lot of complaints about the sims 3 but, we do forget.
    the last site I found the comments to sound like the comments made about the sims 4.
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/464189.page
    http://snootysims.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29322
    http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/any-complaints-about-the-sims-3.180903925/
    http://www.snootysims.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29322&start=20
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/COMPLAINT-SIMS-3/td-p/1364622
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/entertainment/ea-games.html
    http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/the-sims-3-missouri-c210524.html

Did you actually read these threads/articles? Just because the terms "TS3" and "complaints" kicked up a search result on Google doesn't mean that they are all hardcore complaints about TS3.

First Link: Complaint about a TS3 Demo/Teaser that they had out.

Second Link: A thread criticizing the people who had the gall to complain about the unfinished and pirated copy of TS3 that they illegally downloaded before release.

Fourth Link: The second page of the above thread.

Sixth Link: Deals with EA's questionable customer service with regards to all of their offerings, TS3 being mentioned alongside many other games and services.

...now the people from the seventh link I gotta admit just straight up hated TS3! :D

No I did not read them all I did read #7 like you said. I just listed the complaints that were on the first page! I did read parts of them. I was just making the point that sims 3 had complaints and the last one as I mentioned as you call #7 I did read some of the comments from others. That was just not one person that hated the sims 3 the comments showed more hated it.
    These might also help and I looked at them! https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/comments/17imai/we_all_love_the_sims_but_whats_your_biggest/
    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Review-Sims-3-18020.html
    http://consumerist.com/2013/04/12/4-years-after-launch-sims-3-for-mac-still-sucks-and-ea-doesnt-care/ To me the game should have been able to play for everyone. Apparently it was not!
    The point however isn't that there weren't any complaints toward Sims 3, the point is that those complaints didn't rule the general opinion about the game. When you'll try and find complaint threads in 2020 about Sims 4 I assure you you won't have any problem. You'll find them, lots of them. Pages and pages of them. I wasn't around here when Sims 3 started so I have no idea from experience how severe the complaints were, but if this is really it (and that other one page thread that mainly seemed to concern a protest against bugs), then you really can't compare it.
    5JZ57S6.png