Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Comments

• Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    simsjammy wrote: »
    And if the sims 4 was an exact replica of past games people would complain about that as well.

And where did anyone say they wanted a carbon copy? Please link to any statements you've ever seen that what people are looking for is exactly the same. In all my time here I've never, ever, seen it but it seems to be an assumption you often use. I'd like to see where you get that from.

I believe they are referring to OP stating that previous games could have been used as a mold. In addition, many players are saddened by features that were in previous games but not this one. So maybe carbon copy is a bit of a leap, but I understand where they are coming from. People want the same features at the expense of old features.

However, if it were the other way around and all features were copied over and no new feature were added, I'm sure people would be just as upset.

She said 'exact replica'. Using previous games as a reference should be part and parcel of a sequel.

I don't believe that would ever happen btw ;) All the bases managed to be different but also an upgrade in several ways to try to innovate. Not so for TS4. It's regressed in many ways and only made small improvements.

in my opinion the sims 3 was a huge step down from 2, and the sims 4 is a huge step up from 3. it's opinion.

YES! I agree! Sims 3 never played well for me on a good computer, I could never save.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    And if the sims 4 was an exact replica of past games people would complain about that as well.
    and

Don't want a exact replica of the past games just a,game that plays and plays well they had all of the tools to make that happen but no they would rather release drip drabs at a time

That's been the case with every single Sims game. You can't compare a base game with a game that's got a myriad of EPs over several years. If they put everything in a Sims 4 base game that's been added to past games, you're talking about a $250 base game plus people would complain that they didn't want pets/weather/university/aliens/monsters/what have you.

I think that Sims 4 is doing a decent job of trying to mix old ideas with new -- some of their concepts have fallen a bit flat, but that could be more the fault of the game engine not being able to handle certain concepts. Other times things need to be rethought -- for example, in a smaller game where you want a changing community to keep the towns from feeling stale, culling isn't an issue (people move in and out of towns all the time in Real Life), but now they realize how culling is affecting game play for a lot of players (and could especially affect game play in Get Together if half your group gets culled out of existence), they're likely looking into it.

As for playing well, this game plays a lot better for me than Sims 3 did -- not just technically (I can count the number of Sims 4 crashes I've had on one hand, and they were my own fault for the most part when I'd switch gears too quickly) but also the Sims are a lot less wooden. I can just sit and watch my Sims interact, without having to direct their every move unless I choose to do so (for example, have one of them tell a joke if they get a whim to do so). I'll sit and watch my Elder Sims practice yoga, and they do all the poses (sometimes failing a bit in the attempt) and it calms me down. Spa Day and the Wellness skill has actually gotten me playing Elders for the first time in any Sims series; usually I'd just move them to a small house and forget about them till they finally died.

Granted, there are still flaws with the game, but I think the team is working on fixing those to the best of their ability with the limitations of the game engine -- we're certainly getting more bug fixes than we did with Sims 3, and the time they've spent on patching in content may have taken a little time away from producing new content. But in general, I'm enjoying Sims 4 and look forward to the direction the game goes in the future.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying the ways in which this game is different from the ones I played for the previous 15 years! It's been a blast so far, and the add-ons have been fabulous :)

I wish I had that enthusiasm. I just can't say an ice cream machine which isn't rounded but supposed to me is 'fab'. Or a pool which doesn't even come with a diving board for the deep end, is fab. I don't know, fabulous would have to be fabulous for me to be jumping up and down.

It's does not to much to please new comers to this game because they don't know what's missing

Not a new comer been playing since sims 1 yes, the game lacks things, but they are slowly replacing some things and adding new innovative content so it is not the same as the other installments. Hey, If sims 3 did not give me so many problems I might think that the game is missing a lot more. I am always told that when I say that I am happy that this game plays well that it is not a good reason for liking the game, but, hey, it is one of my reasons. As in sims 3 I was always frustrated, that I lost every progress that I made because even though I pressed save and did all the things I was told, the darn thing would not save, and the stalling and stuff, made the game unplayable for me. This one I can play.
  • Options
    Clarkie100Clarkie100 Posts: 1,708 Member

And where did anyone say they wanted a carbon copy? Please link to any statements you've ever seen that what people are looking for is exactly the same. In all my time here I've never, ever, seen it but it seems to be an assumption you often use. I'd like to see where you get that from.

I want a carbon copy of The Sims. :wink:
  • Options
    Clarkie100 wrote: »

Of sims 1 and 2, please no carbon copy of sims 3 for me.
  • Options
    Clarkie100Clarkie100 Posts: 1,708 Member
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    Clarkie100 wrote: »

Of sims 1 and 2, please no carbon copy of sims 3 for me.

The Sims :heart:
  • Options
    I'm really enjoying the ways in which this game is different from the ones I played for the previous 15 years! It's been a blast so far, and the add-ons have been fabulous :)

I wish I had that enthusiasm. I just can't say an ice cream machine which isn't rounded but supposed to me is 'fab'. Or a pool which doesn't even come with a diving board for the deep end, is fab. I don't know, fabulous would have to be fabulous for me to be jumping up and down.
    But everyone "fab" is different. My fab is seeing them cooking and trying out new recipes, or watching them use the pumpkin carver, your "fab" is a lot different, so the game might do that much to you, but it does to others (like me).

My fab is anything to do with cooking and gardening so the ice cream maker qualifies as fab for me.

I really like the variety of ice cream recipes and that you have to improve in cooking skill to access them -- it gives more incentive to get that cooking skill up. My Simself ate the Taste of Diet recipe for a few meals, and she's now nice and svelte -- heck, I could use that recipe in Real Life! B) I've now got her granddaughter building cooking skill -- genetics gave her a bit of a pudgy figure that I'd like to ditch.

So far Cool Kitchen is my favorite of the SPs, with Perfect Patio a close second because I like the hot tubs and a lot of the CASsets from the pack, plus I made a group picnic spot with the grill/counters/bar from the pack -- hoping the lot will work for Get Together.
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,618 Member
    Youre right OP. And thats what I've been saying before. We're going to be receiving content/features piece by piece and I'm not waiting 3 years for this base game to feel complete.

Are people actually excited about Get Together? There is only one feature in this game - and IMO they could've included it in Univeristy/Get to School EP (whatever the survey said). This is a bonus feature IMO, not a base for a game. I'm really not seeing whats so special about this EP. Are they going to charge 40 bucks for this?
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    But, it isn't exactly the same. What some of us desire, is to have the game we enjoy IMPROVED upon. For instance 4 has a wonderful CAS, and unlike many, I do enjoy the daily 'tasks' for work and having to skill and do homework to get the grade. Another improvement is not having to have a whole host of friends just to gain charisma. Charisma is something you're either born with or not. Doesn't mean it can't be honed as you grow and mature, but you're either charming, or you're not. If you're charming, friends will flock to you. Not the other way around.

But, it would also be nice to have the game play that was so much fun in 2, for instance. Doesn't mean they can't get creative and add a nice new twist. 3 gave us a better way for the adults to read to their little ones.

What some of us would like, is the best of all the iterations that came before the latest one. The EPs, SPs, (and in this case GPs) can be original, although like base games there's a few standards people want. Pets, Weather, etc.

Right now I'm finding it disappointing to go back to either 2 or 3 without some of what 4 offers.

I love that you don't have to have a certain number of friends to improve charisma -- I hated that in Sims 3 -- but I prefer the Read To Children in Sims 4; you don't have to wait till bedtime (when both your Sim and the child are tired) and you can read to multiple Sims at once. The animations could stand to be tweaked just a bit (I've had some Sims sit on the bed with the kids gathered around on the floor which I really like), but in general I think the Read To Children interaction has been generally well thought out.

I installed Sims 2 on this computer since I got it for free from Origin (since I had Sims 3 registered), and I've played it a little bit but haven't opened it for a while; it's been buggy for me (not being able to move items into inventory for some reason), plus I miss the variety of having different outfits for my Sims and the ease of expanding houses; I wanted to add on to the Broke's trailer after Brandi's 3rd son was born, but I kept running into errors when trying to build another room so Dustin could have his own room. It was so refreshing to get back to Sims 4 where I can enlarge a house just by dragging a wall, and add a basement to a house with foundation without having to demolish half the foundation in the process.
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Does anyone know what the maximum number of people is in a club?
  • Options
    Haids5987Haids5987 Posts: 8,465 Member
    edited November 2015
    Ugggghhhhhhhh. People, seriously. I remember these exact same complaints from when TS3 was released. Slow loading. Hard for Sims to build relationships. Buggy, laggy, etc.

I know that TS4 isn't perfect, believe me. I have my own personal gripes with it as well. But I have been on these forums since the original The Sims website, and I can tell you that every time a sequel is produced, Simmers have delusions of grandeur from the previous installment, that "there were never complaints" about X, Y, and Z before, and that "we never had these problems before," etc, etc, etc.

I dug through some of my old posts and I even found a thread from 2011 that an unhappy TS3 Simmer made about possibly writing angry letters to EA, and I don't even think it had been 2 years since TS3 had been released. So relax. Chug from the juice keg. Paint a masterpiece. Know that there are bumps and bruises with every new installment. And remember that when (if) TS5 comes out, there will be a whole new bag of complaints and frustrations and deluded comparisons from TS4 to TS5.
    signature2.png?ssl=1&w=450
    **Also known as EmeraldCityTaurus***
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

I believe they are referring to OP stating that previous games could have been used as a mold. In addition, many players are saddened by features that were in previous games but not this one. So maybe carbon copy is a bit of a leap, but I understand where they are coming from. People want the same features at the expense of old features.

However, if it were the other way around and all features were copied over and no new feature were added, I'm sure people would be just as upset.

She said 'exact replica'. Using previous games as a reference should be part and parcel of a sequel.

I don't believe that would ever happen btw ;) All the bases managed to be different but also an upgrade in several ways to try to innovate. Not so for TS4. It's regressed in many ways and only made small improvements.

in my opinion the sims 3 was a huge step down from 2, and the sims 4 is a huge step up from 3. it's opinion.
    Shout, shout, let it al out.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    jimmysnan wrote: »

YES! I agree! Sims 3 never played well for me on a good computer, I could never save.
    Hahaha, yeah, ok, that is a huge step down.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    jessathemessajessathemessa Posts: 2,342 Member
    Haids5987 wrote: »
    Ugggghhhhhhhh. People, seriously. I remember these exact same complaints from when TS3 was released. Slow loading. Hard for Sims to build relationships. Buggy, laggy, etc.

I know that TS4 isn't perfect, believe me. I have my own personal gripes with it as well. But I have been on these forums since the original The Sims website, and I can tell you that every time a sequel is produced, Simmers have delusions of grandeur from the previous installment, that "there were never complaints" about X, Y, and Z before, and that "we never had these problems before," etc, etc, etc.

I dug through some of my old posts and I even found a thread from 2011 that an unhappy TS3 Simmer made about possibly writing angry letters to EA, and I don't even think it had been 2 years since TS3 had been released. So relax. Chug from the juice keg. Paint a masterpiece. Know that there are bumps and bruises with every new installment. And remember that when (if) TS5 comes out, there will be a whole new bag of complaints and frustrations and deluded comparisons from TS4 to TS5.

You're my favorite right now.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

Difference being before they didn't waste two thirds of development time and budget on an online game that never came to market and admit that the base was unfinished at point of release ;)
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Is ea piecing the sims 4 together like one huge puzzle? You would think that this was the first sim game ever made the way that they are so hit and miss mostly miss in this game. Why are they complicating this
    Game? It's not like they didn't have the sims 1,and 2
    To build from. They already had the perfect mold I truly don't get it.

What?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited November 2015

You're my favorite right now.
    :blush: I just think it's funny that these puppies who have only played TS3 and TS4 make these grand statements comparing the 2 games, when they don't even realize how far we have come from where we started. People hated the open neighborhood initially in TS3. There were fierce plummings about how slow it was, about the rabbit holes, how they hated that their Sims just disappeared inside a building. So EA listened and put out Ambitions, so Simmers could follow their Sims to work. Guess what? People plummed about that one too! "It's boring! It's repetitive! It's not challenging enough!" Blah blah blah blah BLAH. Bottom line?

Haters be hating.

The population will never be happy with the Sims franchise BECAUSE of its evolution. No sequel is an exact copy of the previous installment (and we'd complain if it was), and humans fear change. Like I said, I by no means think that TS4 is the best sequel produced. But I just know that after all the EPs are released and TS5 comes out, there will be yet another mass outbreak of angry threads.
  • Options
    Sim_LucentSim_Lucent Posts: 689 Member
    Haters be hating.

Oooh -- sorry, disregard my above post.
    This is still the classic response. The 'haters' just hate no matter what.

Got you.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    bluzkat65bluzkat65 Posts: 483 Member
    I'm really glad they're looking for new ideas and making sure this game isn't a replica of the other games. If I would get the exact same things I could play Sims 2 or 3 if I wanted to. Like Ponder the Sim said, if Sims 4 were the same as the others people would've be mad again.

Sims 4 is a game where new things are tried out and I love this game for that, it feels different and fun. If you really dislike the sims 4 that much, i'd advice you to play the other games or wait for sims 5 to come, since Sims 4 is doing great there will probably be a sequel.

Besides, Get Together is what people asked for, more group activities, new world, 64x64 lots and new ways to bond with your sims (club system). You don't need to make everything so negative. :blush:

Is there an official word about a Sims 5 or is this speculation? I'm just curious. I also agree in what you stated. There are so many negative comments that I don't read much anymore. Sims 4 is different, not my cup of tea but I'm sure for others it is. B)
  • Options

That topic lasted one page. You have more?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    bluzkat65 wrote: »
    I'm really glad they're looking for new ideas and making sure this game isn't a replica of the other games. If I would get the exact same things I could play Sims 2 or 3 if I wanted to. Like Ponder the Sim said, if Sims 4 were the same as the others people would've be mad again.

Sims 4 is a game where new things are tried out and I love this game for that, it feels different and fun. If you really dislike the sims 4 that much, i'd advice you to play the other games or wait for sims 5 to come, since Sims 4 is doing great there will probably be a sequel.

Besides, Get Together is what people asked for, more group activities, new world, 64x64 lots and new ways to bond with your sims (club system). You don't need to make everything so negative. :blush:

Is there an official word about a Sims 5 or is this speculation? I'm just curious. I also agree in what you stated. There are so many negative comments that I don't read much anymore. Sims 4 is different, not my cup of tea but I'm sure for others it is. B)
    Speculation, sorry. :) I have no idea if they've confirmed TS5 or not, but based on what has happened in the past I see a pattern approaching.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the maximum number of people is in a club?

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

But everyones "fab" is different. My fab is seeing them cooking and trying out new recipes, or watching them use the pumpkin carver, your "fab" is a lot different, so the game might not do that much for you, but it does to others (like me).

But this is where you and I differ. All my other Sim games can carve pumpkins and or cook new recipes (particularly TS3) so, for something to be fabulous to me it would mean they never did it before, brand new, amazing, dazzling, never before seen amazing circus act type thing. Just because this game can do those things (which is good) doesn't rank it up there with it being fabulous to me. If I had never seen it then yes, I would say oh, that's great. But I have seen it, and in most cases in the other games it's done much better or more simulated and or animated and or makes more sense, and or actually means something. So, when I use a word like fabulous it really has to be fabulous.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.