Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

why???

1234568...Next

Comments

• Options
    azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    According to Chaos Theory, an old man yelling at the sky could cause a hurricane on the other side of the world. We are yelling because Maxis has destroyed two incredible franchises in record time. This is an epic collapse of an once legendary developer. They are so out of touch that they need to be yelled at so that they understand.

What Maxis could and should have done is make a spinoff. They could then release their goal oriented, unlock objectives, do-as-you're-told game and everyone would have been happy. What is the most worrying is that Maxis REFUSES to release sandbox simulator games! There was an interview somewhere where a Maxis representative said that they didn't want to release a city simulator in regards to SimCity 2013, and that they had no plans to ever release a city simulator again! This is what I'm afraid of with the Sims. That they'll never release another Sims game in the tradition of Sims 2 and Sims 3. That this goal oriented, we'll tell you how to play, Sims 4 type game is all Maxis understands anymore. Given the leadership (from mobile gaming and now in the mobile gaming division), there's every reason to believe management has no understanding of what a sandbox game is. They don't exist in mobile gaming! So we have to yell again and again and again until enough messages are passed from the underlings to get the attention of the leadership. Maybe leadership will finally ask, "What is this sandbox type game they keep on raging about in the forums?", and do some investigating. Maybe they'll finally get it then.
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    Darkling wrote: »
    Haids5987 wrote: »
    Ugggghhhhhhhh. People, seriously. I remember these exact same complaints from when TS3 was released. Slow loading. Hard for Sims to build relationships. Buggy, laggy, etc.

I know that TS4 isn't perfect, believe me. I have my own personal gripes with it as well. But I have been on these forums since the original The Sims website, and I can tell you that every time a sequel is produced, Simmers have delusions of grandeur from the previous installment, that "there were never complaints" about X, Y, and Z before, and that "we never had these problems before," etc, etc, etc.

I dug through some of my old posts and I even found a thread from 2011 that an unhappy TS3 Simmer made about possibly writing angry letters to EA, and I don't even think it had been 2 years since TS3 had been released. So relax. Chug from the juice keg. Paint a masterpiece. Know that there are bumps and bruises with every new installment. And remember that when (if) TS5 comes out, there will be a whole new bag of complaints and frustrations and deluded comparisons from TS4 to TS5.
    That topic lasted one page. You have more?

Nope. Digging through 5 years worth of threads is not fun. I was just giving an example.
    Yes. An example of a one page long thread of complaining (about glitches and bugs as far as I can see by the way, totally with them on that one), including you. Not convinced, sorry ;)

I did a google search and found these on the first page. There were a lot of complaints about the sims 3 but, we do forget.
    the last site I found the comments to sound like the comments made about the sims 4.
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/464189.page
    http://snootysims.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29322
    http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/any-complaints-about-the-sims-3.180903925/
    http://www.snootysims.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29322&start=20
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/COMPLAINT-SIMS-3/td-p/1364622
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/entertainment/ea-games.html
    http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/the-sims-3-missouri-c210524.html

Did you actually read these threads/articles? Just because the terms "TS3" and "complaints" kicked up a search result on Google doesn't mean that they are all hardcore complaints about TS3.

First Link: Complaint about a TS3 Demo/Teaser that they had out.

Second Link: A thread criticizing the people who had the gall to complain about the unfinished and pirated copy of TS3 that they illegally downloaded before release.

Fourth Link: The second page of the above thread.

Sixth Link: Deals with EA's questionable customer service with regards to all of their offerings, TS3 being mentioned alongside many other games and services.

...now the people from the seventh link I gotta admit just straight up hated TS3! :D

No I did not read them all I did read #7 like you said. I just listed the complaints that were on the first page! I did read parts of them. I was just making the point that sims 3 had complaints and the last one as I mentioned as you call #7 I did read some of the comments from others. That was just not one person that hated the sims 3 the comments showed more hated it.
    These might also help and I looked at them! https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/comments/17imai/we_all_love_the_sims_but_whats_your_biggest/
    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Review-Sims-3-18020.html
    http://consumerist.com/2013/04/12/4-years-after-launch-sims-3-for-mac-still-sucks-and-ea-doesnt-care/ To me the game should have been able to play for everyone. Apparently it was not!
    The point however isn't that there weren't any complaints toward Sims 3, the point is that those complaints didn't rule the general opinion about the game. When you'll try and find complaint threads in 2020 about Sims 4 I assure you you won't have any problem. You'll find them, lots of them. Pages and pages of them. I wasn't around here when Sims 3 started so I have no idea from experience how severe the complaints were, but if this is really it (and that other one page thread that mainly seemed to concern a protest against bugs), then you really can't compare it.

I know it is not about there being no complaints about the sims 3, it is just that the complaints seem to be the same in both games, it seems change is the big thing that we are ALL complaining about, what was changed, what was not in this game that was in the last, what EA should have done, what they did not fix. The ones I did read seemed to me that they were the same kind of complaints that the sims 3 got in the beginning. Also the fact that bugs were not fixed in the sims 3 most likely means they will not be fixed in the sims 4. They did not even care that the game would play on MACS and they said it would, just reminds me of the fact that they said all stages would be in this game and they are not. Eventually the game did play on the MAC not well, and bluebellflora (another simmer) had to straighten that out, so just that in EA's opinion we are complaining as we did in sims 3 and they chose to fix or add what they wanted when they wanted too. It just seems it will be the same way with the sims4.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited November 2015
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    People may have hated the Sims 3, but not to the extent that the community was divided between satisfied customers and dissatisfied customers like this game is. I think that's because there were enough similarities between The Sims 2 and the Sims 3 base games that most people found the base game engaging, largely because of the open world and CASt.

I remember people complaining about the changes made to the game from TS2 style of game play to TS3 style of game play, but I don't remember them complaining that enormous chunks of the game were left out. I also recall being irritated about some little things that were left out of the game, such as the ability to own a car so that the car pool would no longer come. I had to use a mod to solve that issue. There were some things left out, but they were minor details...the difference didn't include the exclusion of an entire life stage, for example.

The Sims 4 is, in my opinion, not even on the same level of gameplay as either the Sims 2 or the Sims 3. It's more equivalent to Free Play, minus the real world time frame.

I have to agree with your post, while some people are saying Sims 4 runs well and for them that is good. However, for others there is a reason it runs, there are no features that push the Sims 4 to it's limits and that does not equate to be a better game than the last 2 to me. No matter how you flip it or turn it Sims 4 is just not the better game, even with the upcoming EP it still does not satisfy my need for editing tools because EA/Maxis is hand feeding me neighborhoods and if those editing tools cannot be added due to the limitations of the engine then Sims 4 IMHO has failed to keep me engaged. However I am thinking EA/Maxis is going to keep some people believing they will get some of those features like dangling a carrot and you may never see them. I heard of the old adage "You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time."
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited November 2015
    This isn't a new game. This is a game that was made for Achievers who like ticking things off a list and being told what to do. Players don't rule and don't control in The Sims 4. Instead, the game tells players what they must do if they want their Sim ton succeed in a career, especially the open careers.

The game tells players the kind of furniture they must have in a community lot such as a bar, or else the game won't recognize the lot unless that checklist has been met. Heck, I could open a bar simply by putting the objects in and nothing else on an open plot of land, no walls or anything...and it would be a bar as long as the list was checked off.

I have a lot more leeway even in The Sims 2 for creating a Community Lot.

As far as "Get Together" is concerned....I have a feeling even the Clubs will be limited to checklists and to-do lists...and they won't be nearly as open-ended as they should be. It'll be just another case of..."Oh, we never thought of this"...or..."That detail didn't occur to us." Just like they didn't think that when a Sim retires from one of the open careers they immediately lose skills and access to objects they had legitimately earned, but can no longer use. Limiting, much?

This might as well be just another tablet game.
    Where do we have lists what to do? I do what I want in the game I don't follow a list or task sheet.

So, when you build a bar or a lounge, you put in whatever furniture you feel like it, and ignore the requirements that the game demands that you put in your bar so that it can actually be recognized by the game as a bar? You actually build a spa and don't put in whatever it requires such as a massage table? Oh, but then, those aren't exactly lists...those are guidelines.

And, I suppose your police officer, your doctor or your scientist ignores the task lists they're supposed to tick off as they do them so that they can make the most money. But, of course, that's what motherlode is for. The truth of the matter is that you can't build your bar, your lounge, your spa, your gym, your museum or whatever without putting in *every* object that it tells you to put in, or your community lot will be considered unfinished. Whereas, in the Sims 2, I can go into a community lot, and not a list in sight. Ditto for the Sims 3, except for the zoning. But even if your community lot is zoned as a hangout, there's no required furniture....just whatever your mind envisions and what common sense tells you should be there (such as a bathroom). As a side-note, I recently remodeled the big shopping mall that comes with Open For Business after I stuck it in Pleasantview. It now has a small bowling alley and a little arcade and geek section where Sims can have a LAN gaming session. And, not a list in sight. Sheer bliss.

Deny all you want, but you don't do exactly what you want in the game...because, in doing what you want, you end up satisfying the list, to the point where you eventually satisfy all the tasks required of you when playing your open career Sim, or going on a date with your Sim. And, every once in a while, you actually earn a reward along the way, even though you're doing your own thing, because you somehow or another managed to tick every item on that to-do list.
    Yes they ignore the tasks because I send them alone :mrgreen:
    Plus I don't build I just play so if I want a club I will just download it.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    The Sims 4 is, in my opinion, not even on the same level of gameplay as either the Sims 2 or the Sims 3. It's more equivalent to Free Play, minus the real world time frame.
    Even Freeplay does some things better than Sims 4.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited November 2015
    @Modifien

Are you suggesting that the disappointed players are the ones guilty of nihilism? If so I'd argue the opposite. The disappointed players passionately believe in the game and want it to better and deeper

Nihilism? My my!

Just because TS4 sucks, it doesn't mean that all the world and its principles are without any deeper sense whatsoever and you therefore shouldn't, well cannot reasonably follow higher values and/or (esp. moral) paths.

Get a grip on yourselves, you people. It's not that bad yet. :smiley:

11947496_1626149794329000_5363322089237636790_n_zpsx3uvhumj.jpg

( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdism#Albert_Camus )
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    People may have hated the Sims 3, but not to the extent that the community was divided between satisfied customers and dissatisfied customers like this game is. I think that's because there were enough similarities between The Sims 2 and the Sims 3 base games that most people found the base game engaging, largely because of the open world and CASt.

I remember people complaining about the changes made to the game from TS2 style of game play to TS3 style of game play, but I don't remember them complaining that enormous chunks of the game were left out. I also recall being irritated about some little things that were left out of the game, such as the ability to own a car so that the car pool would no longer come. I had to use a mod to solve that issue. There were some things left out, but they were minor details...the difference didn't include the exclusion of an entire life stage, for example.

I have to agree with your post, while some people are saying Sims 4 runs well and for them that is good. However, for others there is a reason it runs, there are no features that push the Sims 4 to it's limits and that does not equate to be a better game than the last 2 to me. No matter how you flip it or turn it Sims 4 is just not the better game, even with the upcoming EP it still does not satisfy my need for editing tools because EA/Maxis is hand feeding me neighborhoods and if those editing tools cannot be added due to the limitations of the engine then Sims 4 IMHO has failed to keep me engaged. However I am thinking EA/Maxis is going to keep some people believing they will get some of those features like dangling a carrot and you may never see them. I heard of the old adage "You can fool some of the people, but you can't fool them all"
    The full expression is "You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time."
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited November 2015
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

I have to agree with your post, while some people are saying Sims 4 runs well and for them that is good. However, for others there is a reason it runs, there are no features that push the Sims 4 to it's limits and that does not equate to be a better game than the last 2 to me. No matter how you flip it or turn it Sims 4 is just not the better game, even with the upcoming EP it still does not satisfy my need for editing tools because EA/Maxis is hand feeding me neighborhoods and if those editing tools cannot be added due to the limitations of the engine then Sims 4 IMHO has failed to keep me engaged. However I am thinking EA/Maxis is going to keep some people believing they will get some of those features like dangling a carrot and you may never see them. I heard of the old adage "You can fool some of the people, but you can't fool them all"
    The full expression is "You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time."

Thank you for making that correction even though I was paraphrasing for I couldn't remember the whole adage. :)
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    SommoreButtaSommoreButta Posts: 489 Member
    I don't think it's the same team working on the game. New people means new ideas. Maybe their gone back to the basics. Targeting the children as their audience and not the older ones who play. They kids aren't complaining. That's why there's so many lingering questions about the game it's not for most of us. Ijs
    sdaomhlfplv5.png Bestie's In Sim Form
  • Options
    DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
    Darkling wrote: »
    Ugggghhhhhhhh. People, seriously. I remember these exact same complaints from when TS3 was released. Slow loading. Hard for Sims to build relationships. Buggy, laggy, etc.

I know that TS4 isn't perfect, believe me. I have my own personal gripes with it as well. But I have been on these forums since the original The Sims website, and I can tell you that every time a sequel is produced, Simmers have delusions of grandeur from the previous installment, that "there were never complaints" about X, Y, and Z before, and that "we never had these problems before," etc, etc, etc.

I dug through some of my old posts and I even found a thread from 2011 that an unhappy TS3 Simmer made about possibly writing angry letters to EA, and I don't even think it had been 2 years since TS3 had been released. So relax. Chug from the juice keg. Paint a masterpiece. Know that there are bumps and bruises with every new installment. And remember that when (if) TS5 comes out, there will be a whole new bag of complaints and frustrations and deluded comparisons from TS4 to TS5.
    That topic lasted one page. You have more?

Nope. Digging through 5 years worth of threads is not fun. I was just giving an example.
    Yes. An example of a one page long thread of complaining (about glitches and bugs as far as I can see by the way, totally with them on that one), including you. Not convinced, sorry ;)

I did a google search and found these on the first page. There were a lot of complaints about the sims 3 but, we do forget.
    the last site I found the comments to sound like the comments made about the sims 4.
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/464189.page
    http://snootysims.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29322
    http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/any-complaints-about-the-sims-3.180903925/
    http://www.snootysims.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29322&start=20
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/COMPLAINT-SIMS-3/td-p/1364622
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/entertainment/ea-games.html
    http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/the-sims-3-missouri-c210524.html

Did you actually read these threads/articles? Just because the terms "TS3" and "complaints" kicked up a search result on Google doesn't mean that they are all hardcore complaints about TS3.

First Link: Complaint about a TS3 Demo/Teaser that they had out.

Second Link: A thread criticizing the people who had the gall to complain about the unfinished and pirated copy of TS3 that they illegally downloaded before release.

Fourth Link: The second page of the above thread.

Sixth Link: Deals with EA's questionable customer service with regards to all of their offerings, TS3 being mentioned alongside many other games and services.

...now the people from the seventh link I gotta admit just straight up hated TS3! :D

No I did not read them all I did read #7 like you said. I just listed the complaints that were on the first page! I did read parts of them. I was just making the point that sims 3 had complaints and the last one as I mentioned as you call #7 I did read some of the comments from others. That was just not one person that hated the sims 3 the comments showed more hated it.
    These might also help and I looked at them! https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/comments/17imai/we_all_love_the_sims_but_whats_your_biggest/
    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Review-Sims-3-18020.html
    http://consumerist.com/2013/04/12/4-years-after-launch-sims-3-for-mac-still-sucks-and-ea-doesnt-care/ To me the game should have been able to play for everyone. Apparently it was not!

I couldn't get the third link to show--kept getting Error 404. In the second link the reviewer actually gave the game a pretty good rating of 4 out of 5 Stars. The reddit thread, however, was going all in on TS3.

I'll be the first to admit that TS3 had its fair share of complaints--I even voiced a few myself--but I think that there is a distinct difference in the scope and extent of the complaints. I was very active (possibly overactive) on TS3 site from day one and while I remember a fair share of complaints I honestly can't remember complaint/feedback threads about the game that went on for 40, 80, 100+ pages. I think that's significant in showing the differences in the level of dissatisfaction between the two games.
    14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited November 2015

It was in an interview where Maxis said they didn't plan on making another city simulator game. SimCity 2013 was not a city simulator, it was...a monstrosity, no one was really sure what it was, but it tried to incorporate RPG type missions that you could do to unlock buildings and stuff. Maxis admitted that they didn't want to make a city simulator game like Sim City 4, which is why they called the newest version SimCity2013, it was a reboot, not a sequel.
    And then City Skylines came into the market and customers rejoiced. I guess whatever happens with Sims 4 will determine how easy competition will come in or not. There are already companies and Simmers working on simulation games. I think TGL looks like the closest possible competitor. Monopolies only last so long with businesses, so I've always wondered when would be a good time to break the barrier to entry for the Sims. I think now is probably the best time for them to enter. I know Simmers want the Sims to be the only life Sim out there, but it isn't the first one ever nor will it be the last. It's just how businesses work. Gaming industry is no exception to that. I mean look how many spin offs similar games of Candy Crush there are which is actually a spin off of Bejeweled which probably even got the idea from an even older game.

I won't deny Sims 3 had its share of problems too, but this is the second game that is alienating customers again. So in that way it is not like SimCity. At least SimCity only had one game customers couldn't play or appeal to.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Dakota88 wrote: »
    @Modifien

Are you suggesting that the disappointed players are the ones guilty of nihilism? If so I'd argue the opposite. The disappointed players passionately believe in the game and want it to better and deeper

Nihilism? My my!

Just because TS4 sucks, it doesn't mean that all the world and its principles are without any deeper sense whatsoever and you therefore shouldn't, well cannot reasonably follow higher values and/or (esp. moral) paths.

You may want to go back to page 9 and read the source of the use. @Modifien was making a comment and I was asking for clarity.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited November 2015
    Modifien wrote: »
    > @PHOEBESMOM601 said:
    > Modifien
    >
    > Are you suggesting that the disappointed players are the ones guilty of nihilism? If so I'd argue the opposite. The disappointed players passionately believe in the game and want it to better and deeper.
    >
    > As to the defenders. Everyone here is here for the love of the game. If the players who are satisfied joined their voices with the unhappy players everyone would benefit with a better game. To me better is always good. There is a pervading feeling here of "I have what I want why don't you get on board or do something else" attitude.

Not at all, I said my comment was nihilistic. :) I agree with you in the second-to-last paragraph.
    Dakota88 wrote: »
    @Modifien

Nihilism? My my!

You may want to go back to page 9 and read the source of the use. @Modifien was making a comment and I was asking for clarity.

I know, I read it. :smile:

It was simply philosophical humour. :smiley: So no attack or whatsoever on anybody. :smile:
    Post edited by SimKonfetti on