Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ggrrrrr - sim exchange downloads won't work

Comments

• Options
    solarsporksolarspork Posts: 250 New Member
    edited September 2009
    bump.
  • Options
    Rosie93xRosie93x Posts: 6 New Member
    edited September 2009
    This happened to me also, the sims that i downloaded failed to work and were replaced with other sims, they had really nice hairstyles which is a shame considering apart from a few the sims3 ones totally suck. I emailed them and they said that this was usual as due to the fact that they were a third party and that they will never work, but the things is you cant even buy these hairstyles with simpoints so im really disappointed and think that the exchange is rubbish, why have stuff on there that no one can download???

Other than that i adore sims!!
  • Options
    LumikinLumikin Posts: 5 New Member
    edited September 2009
    Bump!
  • Options
    seemedashseemedash Posts: 1 New Member
    edited September 2009
    i'm having same, but different downloading problems. in the exchange i get the failed download message when i try to download sims; everything else downloads fine. the problem is none of it shows up in the actual game! even items from the store aren't showing up. i downloaded the second town and nothing from that is in the game, none of the furniture or hair styles i bought. it all downloaded fine, it's just not in my game. anyone else have that problem?
  • Options
    AixiaAixia Posts: 9 New Member
    edited September 2009
    Same problem here. The really annoying part is that it's totally random which means I never know which ones are going to install and which aren't. Some work beautifully, others won't.

I'm using Snow Leopard, with the latest Sims update.
  • Options
    MariJulyMariJuly Posts: 116 Member
    edited September 2009
    GBUMP!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    TeekTeek Posts: 52 New Member
    edited September 2009
    Alright does anybody have any ideas on this? I sent an error report to EA and all but I wonder if anyone has gotten a reply. I get that error of I have to install updates blah blah blah...exc I already have them all so....
  • Options
    k_bendallk_bendall Posts: 1 New Member
    edited September 2009
    I have had lots of conversations with EA Customer Support and the below is what they came up with. I haven't tried it yet and I don't think it will work but we'll see...........

I do apologize for the inconvenience you're experiencing with the game right now. I understand you're having installation issue with the game.

Please try the following troubleshooting steps one at a time.

1. Check to see if there are any scratches, fingerprints, or marks of any kind on the disk surface. Something even as small as a piece of hair or a very light scratch can cause this error. If you find any fingerprints or debris try cleaning the CD or DVD with a soft cotton cloth.

2. If you do not find any scratches, fingerprints, or marks of any kind on your CD, try renaming the InstallShield folder:
    - Double-click on the My Computer icon.
    - Double-Click on the C:
    - Double-Click on Program Files then on Common Files.
    - Right-Click on the InstallShield folder.
    - Select Rename.
    - Rename it to InstallShieldOld.
    - Start the installation again to reinstall the InstallShield components with the newest version.

3. Also, if you have any virus protection programs like Norton or McAfee, temporarily disable them by right clicking on the icon in your system tray in the lower right corner of the desktop and selecting "Disable" or "Exit". Please make sure you have ended all background tasks to prevent conflicts with other programs.

· Hold down the Ctrl, Alt, and Delete keys at the same time
    · Click the "Processes" tab.
    · Click on the gray bar in the middle column that says User Name to sort by user name.
    · Do NOT select anything for SYSTEM, LOCAL SERVICE, or NETWORK SERVICE.
    · Click on anything besides EXPLORER and TASKMGR for this User Name or other user names.
    · Click on END PROCESS
    · Repeat these steps until only explorer.exe and taskmgr.exe are open for this user profile.

Don't worry that you are permanently changing your system configuration; these applications will return when you restart your system. If you receive a warning for any of these, don't worry it is a standard warning message and is expected. Please click "yes" and continue.

4. If the steps above did not work, try these CD/DVD troubleshooting steps to prevent read errors.
    http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=10703

5. If the previous steps did notwork, and you have enough harddrive space available, you cantry copying the disk files to your harddrive and installingwithout the CDs. Make sure to follow the steps below exactlyas they read, or else the install may not work.
    http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=14221

If these steps fail, see if youcan try to install the disk on another computer to verifythe integrity of the disk itself. If setup fails on anothersystem, or you do not have access to another system to trythis on, you will want to contact our Warranty departmentfor a replacement disk.
    http://warrantyinfo.ea.com

Please email usabout any significant change or development with your issue.Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused. Ifyou experience any further difficulties in this matterplease let us know.
  • Options
    solarsporksolarspork Posts: 250 New Member
    edited September 2009
    all of this is useless anyway - especially if you have the digital download, like me.
    these instructions are pc-specific, and i can't see how any of it applies to us.

oh well!
    k_bendall wrote:
    I have had lots of conversations with EA Customer Support and the below is what they came up with. I haven't tried it yet and I don't think it will work but we'll see...........

I do apologize for the inconvenience you're experiencing with the game right now. I understand you're having installation issue with the game.

Please try the following troubleshooting steps one at a time.

1. Check to see if there are any scratches, fingerprints, or marks of any kind on the disk surface. Something even as small as a piece of hair or a very light scratch can cause this error. If you find any fingerprints or debris try cleaning the CD or DVD with a soft cotton cloth.

2. If you do not find any scratches, fingerprints, or marks of any kind on your CD, try renaming the InstallShield folder:
    - Double-click on the My Computer icon.
    - Double-Click on the C:
    - Double-Click on Program Files then on Common Files.
    - Right-Click on the InstallShield folder.
    - Select Rename.
    - Rename it to InstallShieldOld.
    - Start the installation again to reinstall the InstallShield components with the newest version.

3. Also, if you have any virus protection programs like Norton or McAfee, temporarily disable them by right clicking on the icon in your system tray in the lower right corner of the desktop and selecting "Disable" or "Exit". Please make sure you have ended all background tasks to prevent conflicts with other programs.

· Hold down the Ctrl, Alt, and Delete keys at the same time
    · Click the "Processes" tab.
    · Click on the gray bar in the middle column that says User Name to sort by user name.
    · Do NOT select anything for SYSTEM, LOCAL SERVICE, or NETWORK SERVICE.
    · Click on anything besides EXPLORER and TASKMGR for this User Name or other user names.
    · Click on END PROCESS
    · Repeat these steps until only explorer.exe and taskmgr.exe are open for this user profile.

Don't worry that you are permanently changing your system configuration; these applications will return when you restart your system. If you receive a warning for any of these, don't worry it is a standard warning message and is expected. Please click "yes" and continue.

4. If the steps above did not work, try these CD/DVD troubleshooting steps to prevent read errors.
    http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=10703

5. If the previous steps did notwork, and you have enough harddrive space available, you cantry copying the disk files to your harddrive and installingwithout the CDs. Make sure to follow the steps below exactlyas they read, or else the install may not work.
    http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=14221

If these steps fail, see if youcan try to install the disk on another computer to verifythe integrity of the disk itself. If setup fails on anothersystem, or you do not have access to another system to trythis on, you will want to contact our Warranty departmentfor a replacement disk.
    http://warrantyinfo.ea.com

Please email usabout any significant change or development with your issue.Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused. Ifyou experience any further difficulties in this matterplease let us know.
  • Options
    pjlovesjenpjlovesjen Posts: 4 New Member
    edited October 2009
    I am running snow leopard also and I am having the same issues as all of you I too have submitted an error report to the tech support team and they told me to power cycle my modem/router, I told them just fix this issue and quit BSing and solve this issue.
  • Options
    bebesurjbebesurj Posts: 1
    edited October 2009
    I'm having the exact same problem, and from what I can see from this post, it's been months and EA hasn't done anything, I'm just about pulling my hair out! It was working fine a couple of days ago and then BAM! :( I emailed them about it and no response. I think I might just call the EA line tomorrow to see what they have to say - I'll keep you posted! (wish me luck!).
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    bebesurj wrote:
    I'm having the exact same problem, and from what I can see from this post, it's been months and EA hasn't done anything, I'm just about pulling my hair out! It was working fine a couple of days ago and then BAM! :( I emailed them about it and no response. I think I might just call the EA line tomorrow to see what they have to say - I'll keep you posted! (wish me luck!).

Much much luck and appreciate the updates if you get any way. I'm still holding my breath waiting for the latest reply from tech support, especially since their last missive was a survey :shock: All I wanna do is use Exchange stuff, no hacks, no mods, no nothing. Is that too much to ask?
  • Options
    KiwisoxKiwisox Posts: 62 Member
    edited October 2009
    BUMP! This is ridiculous. We paid the same outrageous price Windows users did, can we get a LITTLE bit of help?
  • Options
    WhatsimsWhatsims Posts: 332 New Member
    edited October 2009
    I see that this happens with me more often when I am
    A: Downloading from countries with a diff. language (i.e.-Japan, Germany, etc.)
    B: Downloading something with one of those fancy patterns that doesn't come with the game.
  • Options
    smalls89smalls89 Posts: 7
    edited October 2009
    Im having the exact same problem guys, and my mac is brand new with no mods or anything of that download stuff. I downloaded about 2 or 3 houses and it all worked perfectly, but then it started to go haywire. Occasionally I will get something to work but only about 5% of the time.

I downloaded riverview and it worked all perfectly first time, but as soon as I want to download a custom sim or lots it completely stuffs up.

I have found out that I have more success if you use Firefox to download rather than safari, if that helps anyone at all.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    smalls89 wrote:
    Im having the exact same problem guys, and my mac is brand new with no mods or anything of that download stuff. I downloaded about 2 or 3 houses and it all worked perfectly, but then it started to go haywire. Occasionally I will get something to work but only about 5% of the time.

I downloaded riverview and it worked all perfectly first time, but as soon as I want to download a custom sim or lots it completely stuffs up.

I have found out that I have more success if you use Firefox to download rather than safari, if that helps anyone at all.

Yeah I tried Firefox AND Camino and still the same @#$%ing problem. Thing is, yesterday, I actually could add in a blouse from the Exchange because it was on the launcher welcome screen. Other than that? :-P as usual
  • Options
    smalls89smalls89 Posts: 7
    edited October 2009
    Now my game wont stop crashing after about 10 minutes so im going to have to uninstall it and reinstall it anyway, so any CC that did work i'm going to lose anyway. This sucks, I don't understand why they haven't fixed this.
  • Options
    sims3rulezsims3rulez Posts: 47 New Member
    edited October 2009
    Im having all of those problems too... and for some reason no matter what one of my sims always has the digusted moodlet and it say its from food but nothings in her inventory, and she lives alone so no leftovers at all it's soo strange i hope they are checking the forums for stuff like this :roll:
  • Options
    sims3rulezsims3rulez Posts: 47 New Member
    edited October 2009
    and there is sooo much i want from the sims store (I have to have that new set with the pandas and the other animals it's all just sooo cute!) :x :cry::(
  • Options
    STEVEINWIGANSTEVEINWIGAN Posts: 9 New Member
    edited October 2009
    Same problem here !

I can download and install some households, but most of the items in the exchange wont install ???

Is there any solution to this yet ?
  • Options
    dancing_mushroom_dancing_mushroom_ Posts: 12
    edited October 2009
    me tooo :(
    but i read a topic about it and it said something about mesh... idk
    but this is frustrating >.<
  • Options
    crimsontide1979crimsontide1979 Posts: 2
    edited October 2009
    I'm having major trouble with this. It's becoming a pain to play the Sims 3. Downloads take ALL NIGHT, or they don't download at all. Anyone got any advice?
  • Options
    iamrosaiamrosa Posts: 5
    edited October 2009
    New issue! I have actually been able to get the downloads to work, but every time I download something from the Sims 3 Store it crashes the launcher once finishing the download, then I have to force quit and open it again to install it. Also, if I try to uninstall or delete custom content, again, it works but it crashes the launcher while finishing, force quit again. I have gone through caches and prefs and all, but I think it was the patch that did this. Any clue to why this is happening?
  • Options
    brit_zinkbrit_zink Posts: 1
    edited October 2009
    Im having the same problem and its very annoying especially when you spend money on things.... BUMP
  • Options
    BazziliciousBazzilicious Posts: 1 New Member
    edited October 2009
    Same issue here. I haven't downloaded enough to find out if just "some" exchange items install or not.
    Quite a frustrating problem. Fix please.