Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ggrrrrr - sim exchange downloads won't work

Comments

• Options
    lettsdothiislettsdothiis Posts: 3 New Member
    edited October 2009
    ok so my original problem was the same: i could download things just fine, but i would get that stupid error saying i needed an update when there was none. so, what i did just a second ago was try and uninstall the game and reinstall it and now i have a NEW issue. not only wont it install, but i get errors when i try and download things saying it couldnt download. please, dear god, someone help me?
  • Options
    SimsLala3SimsLala3 Posts: 10 New Member
    edited October 2009
    BUMP

Im having the same issue and Im so hoping they'll fix it soon ;///
  • Options
    TeekTeek Posts: 52 New Member
    edited October 2009
    Same problem here !

I can download and install some households, but most of the items in the exchange wont install ???

Is there any solution to this yet ?

But of course not. The EA tech support people refuse to acknowledge that my now over a month long back and forth with them over this exact thing is NOT JUST ME! Reading the other posts, I'm glad I told them there was no way I was uninstaling/reinstalling without them telling me exactly why and so on. Sheesh...oh and leave us not forget the rush to reply. They get huffy if I don;t reply in less than 24 hours but they can take their time? Yeah suuuuurrrrreee.... :roll:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    truman_1111truman_1111 Posts: 2
    edited October 2009
    I am having the same issue n now i reach the point where i loss all hope n jst stop playin this game
  • Options
    pelsypelsy Posts: 1
    edited October 2009
    Same :cry:
  • Options
    hayleytothemaxhayleytothemax Posts: 1
    edited October 2009
    Will someone please help? I have the same problem too. On my PC I can download anything from the exchange. But when I try to download things from the exchange on my Mac it says I need an update (I have the latest update). I want to use my exchange objects so bad =[
  • Options
    xoxKatexoxxoxKatexox Posts: 2
    edited November 2009
    It's all getting really ridiculous, all I wanted was to upload a Lady Gaga sim from the Exchange as well :(. I never thought to go on the forum and thought: 'EA will fix it.' I'm getting so annoyed and what's even worse is the whole Snow Leopard issue has plagued me as well!!
  • Options
    BeckBeck09BeckBeck09 Posts: 9 New Member
    edited November 2009
    BUMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

• Options
    DazstarDazstar Posts: 1
    edited November 2009
    when i download the things i want from the exchange and then download it into sims 3, it says 'you must install the associated premium content before installing this style.'

I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • Options
    BonniebellBonniebell Posts: 4
    edited November 2009
    I am running snow leopard on a new Imac, a Macbook Pro 15" and a Macbook Pro 13". I have real trouble downloading anything from the exchange, even just re colours! Two of the macs can download the new nursery set from the store but the 15" won't. The stupid launcher takes about five minutes to put one sim pack into the game! I have 538 packs waiting to go in to the game. Today I have managed to put about 70 in but it has taken all day. That's on the Imac. The 13" is slightly faster. The 15" is slow. Does anyone know of another way to get the packs in? Is it possible to just put them in to: Home folder/Documents/EA/Sims3/Downloads? There are packs in there but I don't know if they have to go through the launcher first. I hate it that we are paying even more money for the cc from the store and then not being able to get it into the game. My launcher freezes and I have to 'force quit' every 4/5 downloads. When it does manage to get a set from the store, there are items missing! On the 13" I can't get any cc hair to show up at all and my daughter refuses to play on her computer and uses mine, which does have cc hair. It's just infuriating.
    COME ON, YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS FAST ALL YOU GURU TYPE PEOPLE, WE MAC USERS ARE A LARGE PART OF YOUR CUSTOMER BASE, ITS TIME YOU PAID SOME ATTENTION TO OUR PROBLEMS.
  • Options
    BonniebellBonniebell Posts: 4
    edited November 2009
    I agree with this. I don't think that Mac users have to BEWARE of cc that is not made on a Mac. I had 22,000 downloads in my Sims2 game without any problems, at least not from the cc. It's not the cc that is the problem, it's the game and the disrespect we are all feeling from the people who take our money and give us a truly shoddy product in return. Wouldn't it be great if we could all just quit this addiction and demand our money back! It's not going to happen, but if we keep the pressure on maybe we will get a solution. Probably, some of it will be solved by the new expansion pack, which will, of course, cost another fortune and have problems of its own. I do think that they have to reconsider the whole launcher bollocks as it clearly has enormous problems and if reeeeeeaaaaaly slow.

Most exchange items are from PC users who use a different format. Therefore its mostly error because those exchanges are not for Mac.
    Used to have same problems with Sims 2. Sometimes i could use downloads, other times it even modified my game to the extent that i had to re install.
    Be carfeull with what u download in exchange. 60 % of users are NOT mac.[/quote]

i don't know a ton about coding and such, but it just seems to me that this isn't an issue of having a mac v. a pc anymore - even programs that are coded differently for both OS (such as adobe suites, ms office, and even something like firefox) don't have this many inherent problems going "across formats" (such as a .doc to a .doc across the platforms). from what i understand, this can't even be the case for us mac users because we're using the same format? i mean, a .package or a .sims3pack seems like it should be no different than a .doc - i mean, you can open a .doc made on another platform in 99% of cases; and if something is slightly off from the crossing, there is a substitution made [fonts and formatting, for example]. ea already does this when there is premium content on a .sims3pack and makes substitutions as needed. i feel the only way that the error in question makes sense is if there is a pc patch before a mac patch - which hasn't happened yet (at least from what i can see; although, there are windows specific parts of patches and mac specific that are contained within the same general patching).

so what it boils down to is that i feel that whatever is being patched on the windows side is something that also needs to be addressed for macs, because when it's not addressed, we will need it addressed on the next patch and that's how we get errors about not being up to date enough.

(it's 12:30 in the morning, this might not make too much sense, so i'm sorry in advance).

---

in unrelated news, 'cos i think this is funny: my simself aged to elder just now -- which is funny because my bday is also right now.[/quote]
  • Options
    KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited November 2009
    It's not just a Mac issue. Tons of people are having trouble with the launcher, on Windows machines as well. Just look in the store threads how many people are complaining about the launcher not working...

I'm sure there are people working on it - after all, if we can't have the launcher, we won't be able to spend money at the store. :twisted:

• Options
    vanillangelvanillangel Posts: 2 New Member
    edited November 2009
    this is getting really annoying some of my items work when i download them from the exchnge but half of them dont i am really starting to get over the sims3 because of this problem does anyone know if there is a solution yet?????
    i have tried nearly everyone's ideas even trying to run as admin but still they items i downloaded from exchange wont work :(
    PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Don't hold your breath waiting for them to fix it. I've been at it with tech support for over a month and they haven't got a clue. They keep throwing stuff out for me to try, in between totally useless instructions, and it seems they really have no idea.
  • Options
    breakfastATpappasbreakfastATpappas Posts: 18
    edited November 2009
    here is my issue with the whole thing. i have spent more time googling "answers" on how to fix the downloading custom content issue - peggy sims, XM sims, and mod the sims are the ONLY places where i've actually been able to get custom hair to download - and that is because i had to use the stuff it expander to extract it, then drag it into a custom folder i put into the game's file .. i think that EA was so eager to release this third generation game, they failed to thoroughly test it and make sure there were minimal kinks .. with ANY luck the next expansion pack won't be so costly, and it will solve some of the problems. i use to use the sims 2 on PC and i had almost every expansion pack and downloaded tons of custom content from thesims2.com - and never once had a problem .. but then i got a mac and i was really excited when i saw that the sims 3 was compatible for mac or pc .. so i think they were taking a big risk at making one game for most platforms because that very well could be the source of the problem .. i'm confident that EA will fix this problem in the next expansion pack, and i'm confident they have someone working on an update right now to help us out .. i am just as annoyed as the rest of you are, and i want justification, because i did NOT spend $50 on a game that works when it feels like .. and what's with the "$10 rebate towards the store" if the stuff you buy doesn't even download?? obnoxious .. hopefully this gets resolved eventually!!!
  • Options
    nessvanessva Posts: 168 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Same issues on a mac. My launcher freezes up whenever I try to install any downloads. HELP US PLEASE EA!
  • Options
    oOPrettyDeeOooOPrettyDeeOo Posts: 11 New Member
    edited November 2009
    Bump
  • Options
    KeshoKesho Posts: 1
    edited November 2009
    Hi guys!

I've been keeping up with this post because I have been having the same problems, so I too decided to email EA Support. After waiting 2 weeks for their "24hr" reply, I got this email...

Dear EA Customer,
    You recently contacted customer support from our support website. We have designed a short survey to help us identify areas in our company and service you feel may need improvement. This survey is in reference to incident, 091020-001255. You may view this question as well as our agent's response by clicking the following link. (You may need to login to view your question.)
    View My Questions
    Our goal is to make yours the best game playing experience possible. Your opinion will help us accomplish this. We would greatly appreciate your taking the time to provide this information.
    Click here to take this survey.
    Sincerely,
    EA Customer Support Team

Did anyone else get this ridiculous response? The survey asked if I was satisfied with the answer to my question...I laughed out loud because there was no anser. The game was too expensive and there was too much hype surrounding it for EA to be so passive about this problem.

BUMP. :cry:
  • Options
    happychatterhappychatter Posts: 8
    edited November 2009
    Same here. it is SO annoying. I try to buy things from the store but when I download it, it doesnt work. plz help
  • Options
    happychatterhappychatter Posts: 8
    edited November 2009
    My game does the exact same thing. I bought heaps of things from the store but when I tried to download them, it didn't work. It is SO ANNOYING!
  • Options
    mtandctmtandct Posts: 11
    edited November 2009
    it keeps happening to me too! Dx i tried to download a house hold from the exchange like 20 times but it kept saying to update my game......
  • Options
    mtandctmtandct Posts: 11
    edited November 2009
    Dazstar wrote:
    when i download the things i want from the exchange and then download it into sims 3, it says 'you must install the associated premium content before installing this style.'

I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Premium content is what you buy from the store, if the items are in the exchange and you didn't buy them from the store, it won't download. your problem is simple click on the the box that says 'premium items' with the diamond above the words. It's located next to the picture of whatever your downloading. the little pop-up widow will tell you the name(s) of the item(s) and you should go buy them before you download the thingy
  • Options
    laurensarahsegallaurensarahsegal Posts: 2
    edited November 2009
    same :(
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Kesho wrote:
    Hi guys!

I've been keeping up with this post because I have been having the same problems, so I too decided to email EA Support. After waiting 2 weeks for their "24hr" reply, I got this email...

Dear EA Customer,
    You recently contacted customer support from our support website. We have designed a short survey to help us identify areas in our company and service you feel may need improvement. This survey is in reference to incident, 091020-001255. You may view this question as well as our agent's response by clicking the following link. (You may need to login to view your question.)
    View My Questions
    Our goal is to make yours the best game playing experience possible. Your opinion will help us accomplish this. We would greatly appreciate your taking the time to provide this information.
    Click here to take this survey.
    Sincerely,
    EA Customer Support Team

Did anyone else get this ridiculous response? The survey asked if I was satisfied with the answer to my question...I laughed out loud because there was no anser. The game was too expensive and there was too much hype surrounding it for EA to be so passive about this problem.

BUMP. :cry:

Yeah I got that and then some. Of course this has been going on for well over a frelling month with them :hunf: :hunf:
  • Options
    nessvanessva Posts: 168 New Member
    edited November 2009
    ...now all of my installed CC clothing disappeared from both the game and the installed tab of the launcher. I never deleted it. rawr.