Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why EA is collecting our data and the woohoo challenge

Comments

• Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Evalen wrote: »
    I find it pretty tacky myself because I have young cousins who play the sims and I think it sends the wrong message.

Even if I was still playing ts4 my game tracking would be staying well and truly off. The sims is my personal business, not for prying eyes to take and make decisions from. Use surveys-at least then you know your sample is more likely to be representative. Plenty of simmers turn tracking data off so it skews the data they collect.

@sparkfairy1 I agree, I am sure that a mother of kids that are playing this game are not to happy about this. Mother's talk to other mothers, and if the word gets around that this game is not right for kids to be playing they will not buy it. I don't think that a mother of a child in RL would consent to their child doing this kind of challenge. This is tacky and uncalled for. Where are they heading, everything seems to be on whoo hooing. Like it is something new, it has been in existence since the beginning of time. This does send the wrong message.
    By the way what is the tracking tool you are talking about and how do you turn it off. Is it when you play online.
    I will not be participating in this challenge for many reasons.

Yes I think so too. It seems so weird and not at all the image that the sims has held for all these years.
    I mean I worried about my parents seeing the 'hot date' box when I was a young teen but if they had heard about this challenge that would be it, I'd have been banned from playing the sims.
    It also seems odd given that many of us who have played since the start have grown with the game and we are the ages to be parents now-so it will inevitably get heard by parents through those players who are parents discussing it.

I find it puzzling given the devs saying they don't have a problem with their kids playing it-then we get this challenge. It seems so contradictory.

Teens with 13 years old play GTA and you are worried they might see you doing this challenge? Please...give me a break...

I'm sure there are lots of diferent people some more conservative then others, but you can't expect that the whole world will react like this, because it won't, it's really no big deal.

Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to edit the rude personal comment out.

It's all to do with the parents isn't it @Sigzy05‌ ? It's up to them what they feel comfortable with and I can see why some would take issue with a challenge just based on the 'act'. People from all sorts of backgrounds, belief systems and cultures play the sims. You may think certain ways about it but there are others with strong beliefs when it comes to this.

What bothers me is some children play the sims-for those of us who knew the older games I don't think there is much you would worry about with supervision. But if you have a challenge just focusing on that it's giving a message from EA that I know plenty of parents would worry about-and I know that because I've been discussing it with a lot of my friends who are parents.

I'm actually pretty liberal in my beliefs, but this makes me feel uncomfortable and as we are allowed our own opinions here that's fine isn't it? I'm not telling anyone else how to think-I'm talking about my thoughts and feelings.

I'm sorry if I ofended you kind of having a bad day, but the fact that younger teens play worse games is true, I'm not saying your opinion wrong, you can see that I said that nowhere, but I think there are far worse things you should worry. Also they made a challenge, make our sims woohoo 5 million times in 2 days (it's not like you have to make them woohoo these many times all players numbers added together need to make that number), also they don't make you make your sims woohoo all the time, plus nothing is stoping you from preventing your sims to have romance before they woohoo.

@Sigzy05 no problem, it's why I asked for the change so I didn't have to report it and I do appreciate that. We all have bad days ;)

I know-but I think EA should have made it count for all romantic interactions-that would feel far less 'icky' to me.

I understand what you are saying and I get your point but I think companies like EA need to be really sensitive when it comes to issues like this. By making it so specific it seems pretty tacky and I think there's enough obsession about that in entertainment already lol.

Like I say a better way to approach it would have been '5 million romantic interactions' or kisses-those are less loaded in their meaning. Do you get what I'm trying to say?

I do take issue with kids playing age inappropriate games but I can't do much about that. What I can do is say to EA perhaps they want to think carefully when they do these sorts of challenges because they know children and young teens play the game whereas those other games are made age inappropriate and are clearly marked that way.

@ sparkfairy1

I agree totally with what your saying about this whole challenge!

Some romances in another way would have been better like kissing or giving a rose ; )
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    @blueasbutterfly what a beautiful well rounded post. I completely agree and only hope when I have children I follow your example. I am pretty sure its a given ;)

Yes it really was :D

@blueasbutterfly

You seem like a wonderful parent and mother and agree with you fully <3

Happy Simming :D

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 4,220 Member
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    You heard about the woohoo challenge? You guys are supposed to let your Sims woohoo the whole weekend and IF the goal is reached you get an ugly gnome and a hairdo for your Sims. Am I the only one who finds this utterly ridiculous?
    BTW the data is evaluated by activating "share user data" in the game options. Does that ring a bell?

Am I the only only who finds it sad people trying to bring down a) the developers for trying to engage and challenge us b) the simmers who like a bit of fun and feel like a community.

I have no qualms with sharing game play data. If it helps them to actually zero in what we need, I love it.

Also, you are in no obligation to join. So, no need to angry poop on other people's party.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 4,220 Member
    marcel21 wrote: »

Some romances in another way would have been better like kissing or giving a rose ; )

I am, for once, glad. After years and years of toning the game down over prudes, it seems, finally, the game will get its edge back.

Seriously, we could get drunk before (TS1), had much racier woo-hoo animations and a very suspicious "bubble blower" (TS2).

The Sims is not a game for children. And if it offends you a 13 year-old disappear under the sheets, well, you are within your rights to forbid your teen for playing it. Maybe they can watch Game of Thrones, listen to Nicki Minaj or play GTA instead, like teens do. No need for the game to be dumbed down for it.

• Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    Well, I didn't participate, for all we know the people down at EA could be watching my gameplay, I'm not having that.
  • Options
    CreamierThanMamiCreamierThanMami Posts: 684 Member
    Seems to be an encouragement for people to play their game above everything else, just a little misguided. Of course, it does probably supply some juicy statistics...
    Fotor0510194637_zps0hyuxnv8.jpg
    If you like my story, contributions to my wishlist are appreciated!
  • Options

I am, for once, glad. After years and years of toning the game down over prudes, it seems, finally, the game will get its edge back.

Seriously, we could get drunk before (TS1), had much racier woo-hoo animations and a very suspicious "bubble blower" (TS2).

The Sims is not a game for children. And if it offends you a 13 year-old disappear under the sheets, well, you are within your rights to forbid your teen for playing it. Maybe they can watch Game of Thrones, listen to Nicki Minaj or play GTA instead, like teens do. No need for the game to be dumbed down for it.

Hey :D

What are you taking about :s

Its just an opinion some of us have about this whole topic!

No need to be saying maybe you should do this or do that :s Why don't you go and do those things :s

What edge by the way lol!

The game was already dumbed down when it came out in September :open_mouth:

How is our agreement dumbed the game down for you and others, please tell me, I would like to know?

• Options
    AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    I think they were hoping people will forget to turn the setting off so they can continue to monitor them. Well I had forgotten the setting was on, and may now end up turning it off, so it kind of backfired in my case.
  • Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    edited February 2015
    This my sound crazy, but since the challenge, "Share user data" has been of for me. I don't want to be stalked by EA.
    Post edited by JessicaSimston on
  • Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    @blueasbutterfly what a beautiful well rounded post. I completely agree and only hope when I have children I follow your example. I am pretty sure its a given ;)

Yes it really was :D

@blueasbutterfly

You seem like a wonderful parent and mother and agree with you fully <3

Happy Simming :D

Seeing this late but thank you very much, what a sweet thing to say <3 I'm always worried I'm getting it wrong but then, it would probably be worse if I didn't :)
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    We have teenagers having sex in the Sims 4...messing around my donkey! While they're at it, they might as well put in teen pregnancy, because a lot of teens (and parents who started out as teen parents) would welcome it...My Sims never woohoo all that much anyway...only when they feel like it, and then it depends on my mood and the story.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    well, the portrayal of any 100% no-pregnancy sex is not realistic, every "option" for bc has risks if failure. I can see why they did things the way they did but imho a 2% risk of pregnancy with woohoo would have been a better idea. that's just me though. :)
  • Options
    MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    edited February 2015
    I didn't participate either, I would have preferred they have it as someone wrote above "romantic interactions" Dates, kisses, etc. But I have no opinion regarding those who chose to play along-- or not.

Perhaps in the future they'll have a challenge that is more inclusive of a variety of same-theme activities. A "food challenge", for example, for those whose Sims are into the gourmet track-- or want to try it--doesn't have to mean overindulging, etc.

Side note.. Same sex couples--- 100% no pregnancy sex.
  • Options
    That's true. xD
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Why do people act as though collecting data is some sort of conspiracy? It kind of makes me chuckle to be honest. Considering I play MMOs that consistently gather my game data :p

Pardon me while I adjust my tinfoil. :p Now, on to the a more serious subject and hopefully I don't get off topic nor too serious but here goes.

You know, many people enjoy their home page of their favorite site has hidden gifs that track everything they look at while online. They actually like the next time they log on they see a car ad on their front page if they had been searching or looking at cars months ago. They like it when they look at other sites they are tailor made for just them. They may never actually see what is happening in the world, next door, in their home town or anywhere else, because they allow sites to track everything they do, and add those dynamics to every site they visit, so their experience is tailor made for them.

Even when just going online to any home page. The problem I have with this and it's just me I'm sure, is when tailor made actually starts to port propaganda. There is always two sides to a news story, but when people forget journalism and only tell the side that best suits their outlook on life, and or doesn't 'tell the whole story', you have nothing but propaganda. Much like when a dictator runs the TV stations, the Newspapers, the Websites, etc. etc.

Am I taking a big leap here, yes, I am, but it starts when you freely give away your rights in the slippery slide of 'gaining' something good for you, or fun for you, or better for you. And here's the truth of it, your footprint in the world can easily be found by everything you say and do online even if just playing a game, a profile of you can be built to tell any type of story about you or me, even the game statistics we think are just for fun and or no big deal. I not saying I don't allow these things ever, but I go in with eyes wide open.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CunninghamCunningham Posts: 1,310 Member
    > @Cyron43 said:
    > You heard about the woohoo challenge? You guys are supposed to let your Sims woohoo the whole weekend and IF the goal is reached you get an ugly gnome and a hairdo for your Sims. Am I the only one who finds this utterly ridiculous?
    > BTW the data is evaluated by activating "share user data" in the game options. Does that ring a bell?

Does this mean the only people who have done the challenge get the hair styles and the gnome?
    'I'm Just Another Plum Faced Irishman, Am I Not?'
    "Dr Moose's daycare challenge "
    The Sims 3 - Wishlist/Top5
    oGh7KNi.gif
  • Options
    Not to mention it all gets saved. And there is no way to know who sees it. You might not care if a big, faceless company does, but what happens when (and I say when, not if,) a wikileaks type situation happens and some troublemaker decides to make everything public? Once it's out there, you can't get it back. Your romantic interests (past and present), your parents, your employer.....your kids? Grandkids? The question people should ask themselves before posting or allowing data mining is, "are there people that I wouldn't want seeing this?"

The fact is, someday our "digital footprint" will be our legacy. Next of kin can request that profiles and whatnot be shut down after death, but things never fully disappear, and whatever third party companies have already saved, you can't get rid of - you don't even know what companies have what information, because companies like EA and Facebook share information and they don't have to tell you who with. And who did they share with five years ago, or ten?

Some people don't mind this. I think the newer generation is more used to the lack of privacy, and each person has their own comfort level. But it's something that I'm always aware of.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Not to mention it all gets saved. And there is no way to know who sees it. You might not care if a big, faceless company does, but what happens when (and I say when, not if,) a wikileaks type situation happens and some troublemaker decides to make everything public? Once it's out there, you can't get it back. Your romantic interests (past and present), your parents, your employer.....your kids? Grandkids? The question people should ask themselves before posting or allowing data mining is, "are there people that I wouldn't want seeing this?"

The fact is, someday our "digital footprint" will be our legacy. Next of kin can request that profiles and whatnot be shut down after death, but things never fully disappear, and whatever third party companies have already saved, you can't get rid of - you don't even know what companies have what information, because companies like EA and Facebook share information and they don't have to tell you who with. And who did they share with five years ago, or ten?

Some people don't mind this. I think the newer generation is more used to the lack of privacy, and each person has their own comfort level. But it's something that I'm always aware of.

O.K. my tinfoil is a little tight lately, but I have to agree with you here. Because let's say someone wanted to run for an office someday, which we know can get pretty muddy with the mud slinging. I guess kids never think about what gets dug up about them while they were online. I don't know, I know it is just me in this regard, but I would rather the national news not be telling how many hours I spent having two Sims or even more (fifty) lol, woohoo. I don't know, I don't see things in a gray area anymore, but in black and white. Does it matter? probably not, but then again, you never know how something as silly as that could be used against one's self, someday. It's all relative when a person's life becomes public.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

O.K. my tinfoil is a little tight lately, but I have to agree with you here. Because let's say someone wanted to run for an office someday, which we know can get pretty muddy with the mud slinging. I guess kids never think about what gets dug up about them while they were online. I don't know, I know it is just me in this regard, but I would rather the national news not be telling how many hours I spent having two Sims or even more (fifty) lol, woohoo. I don't know, I don't see things in a gray area anymore, but in black and white. Does it matter? probably not, but then again, you never know how something as silly as that could be used against one's self, someday. It's all relative when a person's life becomes public.

Also, people are people. I used to work in an office that had some pretty well known clientele, and we didn't have an awful lot of "dirt" on them, but people talk - privacy policies aside. I mean, I could mention it offhandedly to someone and it probably would never be traced back to me. Not that I would. But I could. It has been six years, who would even remember I worked there? Not to mention people who do temp work and have access to things, anonymous data analysist and people paid to do nothing but data entry. The ability to keep things secret varies directly in proportion to how interesting said information is. And with today's media, *everything* is interesting when it comes to public figures.
  • Options

Also, people are people. I used to work in an office that had some pretty well known clientele, and we didn't have an awful lot of "dirt" on them, but people talk - privacy policies aside. I mean, I could mention it offhandedly to someone and it probably would never be traced back to me. Not that I would. But I could. It has been six years, who would even remember I worked there? Not to mention people who do temp work and have access to things, anonymous data analysist and people paid to do nothing but data entry. The ability to keep things secret varies directly in proportion to how interesting said information is. And with today's media, *everything* is interesting when it comes to public figures.

I agree, not everyone who ever worked anywhere actually respects another's privacy. I guess we are getting too far into the weeds, so back on subject, for Cyron43's sake of the thread, I still think this was a good data mining to see what else people have been doing the game and how they may modify and add more things later. I'm sure the telemetry gathered this weekend gets sifted to let them know how many users do play online, what times, what demographics and where they take this game from here. EA wants this type of info to nudge players into an online mode eventually, though the game can be played off line and probably will be able to play offline for it's lifetime, but I still think it's a clever marketing campaign to get those who can't find anything interesting about the TS4 interesting in 'something' and as I said sex sells, and a good way for them to get more views on their FB of how many Simmers made Sims woohoo. It has nothing to with prudish, but seeing things for what they are, getting more data to nudge and direct those who maybe wouldn't play online to play online.
  • Options
    EmberDahlEmberDahl Posts: 332 Member
    Well as long as it isn't a case of - ooh judging by the numbers -everyone likes doing the 'troll teh forums' activity, we must put more interactions like that in the next update where in actual fact. I think I initiated that interaction a only a few times - yet all my characters seem to autonomously do it all the time which sort of fudges the actual results. If it's all about gathering the tonnes of crash data then it seems a useful exercise.
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member

I guess "interesting" means "profitable" in this case, right? ;)

This space is for rent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited February 2015
    @S100Headache‌ : Maybe they are not even interested in the amount of woohoos, regardless if autonomous or not. Maybe this was a test run to see how many people are willing to adapt to online play after all. After they scrapped Olympus because of people who made an outcry for a private game experience (I was among them) but now seeing their, at most, mediocre sales on TS4, they got the idea of turning back to the original Olympus concept now. They just need to know if the market situation has changed or can actively be changed.
    After seeing all those people who give a poop about data spying I see myself not as part of this community anymore and maybe other old time Simmers are in the same situation as I am. Sims is not my game anymore. It's about time to let go and hand this over to generation careless. :(
    Post edited by Cyron43 on
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    EmberDahl wrote: »
    Well as long as it isn't a case of - ooh judging by the numbers -everyone likes doing the 'troll teh forums' activity, we must put more interactions like that in the next update where in actual fact. I think I initiated that interaction a only a few times - yet all my characters seem to autonomously do it all the time which sort of fudges the actual results. If it's all about gathering the tonnes of crash data then it seems a useful exercise.

And I believe the skewered data from TS3 is one of the reasons we have such a lifeless boring game, missing life stages and items. I for one played off line and know a number of others that do the same.i NEVER PLAYED THE sHOWTIME VISIT FRIENDS ON LINE PART EVER. Our style of play was completely left out of TS4. It is not an age thing either as older and younger players have said they play off line, but the one thing we had in common was our style of play. So once again are the powers that be at EA going to use the data collected as a base to move the series even farther away from the base? I know I for one did not even play the game let alone play on line. As the game is so darn boring, there are a lot of players who are not pleased with the game and the whole woo hoo challenge and did not fire up the game this weekend either. So once again, we will not be considered in the data. Oh well, as it is now I will not be moving ahead with the game until/when/if EA completes the base game.

kim :\

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln