Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why EA is collecting our data and the woohoo challenge

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I don't even get this 'challenge'. It sounds a bit creepy to me.
    "Woohoo and you'll get a present."

hqdefault.jpg

Apart from that: I'd never allow a company to influence my gameplay. Not even the company that created the game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    @blueasbutterfly what a beautiful well rounded post. I completely agree and only hope when I have children I follow your example. I am pretty sure its a given ;)

*blush* thanks. I never forget how lucky I am to get to watch him grow up. :)
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    ReachsimsReachsims Posts: 7,932 Member
    Two brief comments:

1. Tasteless.

2. EA, you're promoting the wrong kind of behavior for your teen players. Like irresponsible sex, this choice was not wise. :s
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

In my point of view you are taking this challenge the wrong way.

Just exactly how are you supposed to take woo-hoo as many times as you can and if it's enough you'll get rewarded?

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited February 2015
    I guess it boils down to "hey it's just pixels on the screen" again. *rolleyes*
    It is not! Those pixels cause a measurable reaction in a player's brain. I could make a page long lecture about cause and effect now but I don't because it would derail the thread.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

Just exactly how are you supposed to take woo-hoo as many times as you can and if it's enough you'll get rewarded?

I'm sorry but...can you be more specific? I didn't understand your question...
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options

Picture a babe hanging out on a corner going "pssssst....hey buddy....you looking for a date? " does that make it more clear?

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

Picture a babe hanging out on a corner going "pssssst....hey buddy....you looking for a date? " does that make it more clear?

LOL what are you talking about? The point of the challenge isn't being a creeper is playing with your sim couple and make them have fun, nothing stops you from having romanc before, as stated before they could have taken a little bit of a diferent aproach when it comes to the language used for the woohoo challenge but...

Also it's not like you are supose to make your sims woohoo 4 million times, we all together need to make sims woohoo 4 million times :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    KevaLillyKevaLilly Posts: 108 Member
    It is a bit of an odd challenge but of course, there could be stranger ones. Haha. Besides, there's no saying that you absolutely have to participate in the challenge. I'm perfectly happy continuing my game my way; with or without WooHoos. lol
    My Story Site! - Featuring my Sims 4 series, Dawning of The Drensker, as well as other stories and treats!

My YouTube Channel

My Twitter Page
  • Options
    altad1altad1 Posts: 1,091 Member

LOL what are you talking about? The point of the challenge isn't being a creeper is playing with your sim couple and make them have fun, nothing stops you from having romanc before, as stated before they could have taken a little bit of a diferent aproach when it comes to the language used for the woohoo challenge but...

Also it's not like you are supose to make your sims woohoo 4 million times, we all together need to make sims woohoo 4 million times :p

Agree. I have in total 6 sim couples all married, as far as I'm aware there's nothing creepy or wrong with married couples having woohoo. I guess it all depends on how you play your game,
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited February 2015
    For me, I'm not phased by it. I mean, society is becoming more and more sex-obsessed, and I read erotic romances, so I'm cool with this random challenge. I'm not sure I would enter it, though. I just hate the fist-pumping action, and besides, the whoohoo never interested me in the first place. (It's just moaning and moving covers with hearts and/or fireworks floating above it.)

Yeah, I mean, in real life, when you have a tv show called the "Sex Box" in which real-life couples (supposedly) have actual sex in a box on-stage, then virtual whoohoo (that doesn't look anything like real sex) in a virtual game is pretty tame, lol.

For me, sex is just a fact of life, and many couples enjoy it. Some couples just like sex, but not romance (aromantic sexual), and others are vice-versa (ex: romantic asexual).
    I just hope they add more romantic interactions in a future EP (like Nightlife or something similar to Hot Date).
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    The Sims used to be more of a "play with life" scenario where you could play out many different lifestyles. Yeah, the frat boy was there, but the focus was much wider and more varied. It didn't revolve around single Sims and bar hopping and being mean to other Sims just to vary the monotony.

Another great quote! But I just had to highlight the above because this is the game design in a nutshell. Plus you have to add the manipulating of emotions to gain skills, goals, and achievements, or to just make it harder for the player to get the sims to do what they want them to do in the game. This, plus how much of the simulation they removed, is why I am so unhappy with this version of the game. It's very sad and disappointing, since I also very much wanted to like it. :(

The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    SlyvanasSlyvanas Posts: 855 Member
    Sigh you can not please everyone to be honest. Everyone says the game is to childish and kiddy which I agree.. But when they do a challenge like this I don't whine and complain about the tittle of it.

Do your cousin, little sister or brother whoever have to do the challenge? Nope. You let them play the Sims 4 anyway with woohoo in the game why complain now?
    oxv0Rm8.png
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited February 2015
    Well, I don't know any under-age kids who "I let play" the game, so that point is moot.

As for complaining, it's supposed to be a holiday for love. There are a lot of ways they could have encouraged players to express love in the game with their sims, but this is what they choose. I understand that it's a business and 'woohoo' is more titillating and therefore might draw more publicity than, say, a "Sims Date Challenge". But come on, I still think it is pretty tasteless to promote a teen game in this manner. But hey, whatever floats your/their boat! :)
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    Slyvanas wrote: »
    Sigh you can not please everyone to be honest. Everyone says the game is to childish and kiddy which I agree.. But when they do a challenge like this I don't whine and complain about the tittle of it.

Do your cousin, little sister or brother whoever have to do the challenge? Nope. You let them play the Sims 4 anyway with woohoo in the game why complain now?

The humor is immature. It's frat boy, fist bumps and all. The challenge fits right in.....it's just tacky.

• Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    Well, I don't know any under-age kids who "I let play" the game, so that point is moot.

As for complaining, it's supposed to be a holiday for love. There are a lot of ways they could have encouraged players to express love in the game with their sims, but this is what they choose. I understand that it's a business and 'woohoo' is more titillating and therefore might draw more publicity than, say, a "Sims Date Challenge". But come on, I still think it is pretty tasteless to promote a teen game in this manner. But hey, whatever floats your/their boat! :)

Exactly this. I don't think it's an appropriate theme to promote to teenagers. I knew a *lot* of people in school who were up to some really risky behaviors because it was the cool thing to do, or they thought it didn't matter. Many regretted it later. Some ended up with lifelong chronic diseases or being shamed socially (such as when a certain bacterial infection got passed around among certain well known circles, or having to drop out to have a baby.) It's not so "cool" then, and make no mistake, it's not the kind of thing that's easy to cope with, especially at that age, nor is it likely to be forgotten by the ten year high school reunion by *anyone.*

Lots of people, even fully grown adults, consent to things that make them uncomfortable because it's lame or prudish to treat it like it's a big deal, and then they feel awful afterwards because to them, it was a big deal. At the same time, the shame game is rampant. Culturally, our views on these subjects can be very, very unhealthy. Taboos, peer pressure, drug and alcohol abuse, media portrayals and cultural acceptance of certain practices combine to make it a very difficult area to navigate, even after young adulthood.

Games like The Sims can be used as a healthy way to sort of feel out a comfort zone by proxy... or it can reinforce that it's trivial, by failing to ever be anything *but* trivial. As far as I'm concerned, people can do what they like, but I do feel that the attitudes represented in the game, which are echoed in this event, are really unhelpful to young people who are trying to decide how they feel in a healthy way. For me, when I was young, The Sims allowed me to stay within my comfort zone in many areas without the judgment and pressure that I was constantly facing from my peers. The Sims 4 does not provide that same neutral, safe environment.

We also have to remember that 13 is really... very young. I remember being 13 and my friends being 13.. then 14, 15, 16, and how grown up we thought we were. The fact is, one can do grownup things, but being grown up is about maturity, not actions. In many states, 13 is below the age of consent. So yes, I do feel it's extremely inappropriate, and no, I won't be allowing my son to play the sims 4 for a long, long time to come. But it makes me really uncomfortable to think that this is the kind of thing that will be marketed at him as he grows up. I'm trying to teach him to value himself and others in this world of ours. It feels daunting. At a certain age, parents lose much of their control over what their kids are exposed to. How many more unhealthy messages will be flooding the entertainment industry by the time he gets to that age, drowning out my attempts to teach him about self confidence and making choices he won't regret?
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    AxeEclipticaAxeEcliptica Posts: 370 Member
    This challenge completely lacks class. They could have gone with romance, with Valentine's Day and all, but for some reason decided on 'hey, make your sims get it on as much as possible and by the way, we want to watch'.

ditto

• Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    Yet another example of EA tossing the long term family players under the bus for the "hip young bro players".

Really...do you now understand the crowd EA is looking for?

It isn't me, that's not my play style.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    AnnePlaysAnnePlays Posts: 2,504 Member
    edited February 2015
    If the challenge was about reaching 5 million count of romantic interactions, or perhaps having Sims fall in love, that would've been fine for me. But woohoos... hmm...

woohoo_blog1_v2.jpg
    Also Dear Mr. creepy Gnome, please leave my home alone...
    muscle_gumball_by_vanillycake-d4a9ida.png
  • Options
    DextroyerX2DextroyerX2 Posts: 267 Member
    I don't really see what's so wrong with it, if people choose to participate at their own will let them, it'd be pretty fun, but I hope they'll release new items in the next patch regardless. I don't really have much of a problem sharing what I do in my game since I play MMOs and those practically always record certain things you do in the game. P.S. if you don't like it, don't participate.
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    so if the goal is not reached you dont get it?
    giphy.gif

• Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    edited February 2015
    The challenge makes me think of the 11-year-old nephew of a former housemate who used to come visit (along with his parents) sometimes. He was easily bored by the conversation of the adults, so I'd always set him up on a visitor account on my computer and show him my games. When he discovered the capacity to woo-hoo in Sims 2, that is ALL he wanted to do with them. He would get impatient trying to build relationships, so I introduced him to Don Lothario (and the Caliente sisters and the maid). Then it was, "Why won't they do it?" Well, they were hungry, tired, had to pee, etc. I tried to explain the importance of taking care of basic needs, but all the kid wanted to do was woo-hoo. I taught him the max motives cheat. Woo-hoo, woo-hoo, woo-hoo, all evening, punctuated by boyish giggling.

The current challenge really doesn't surprise me too much, since all the bro stuff and dying of hysteria because someone peed his pants has always seemed very appropriate to 11-year-old boy humor, to me.

ETA: I have no particular objections to the challenge. If it makes people happy, go for it. It's just not something that appeals to me. Plus, woo-hoo in Sims 4 is SO boring compared to Sims 2 ;-) I cannot imagine that 11-year-old being half as entertained if I'd had Sims 4 instead of Sims 2 back then.
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    AnnePlays wrote: »
    If the challenge was about reaching 5 million count of romantic interactions, or perhaps having Sims fall in love, that would've been fine for me. But woohoos... hmm...

woohoo_blog1_v2.jpg
    Also Dear Mr. creepy Gnome, please leave my home alone...

Is that seriously the gnome they are giving out? *facepalm*

I think this is just another tacky and immature idea they are throwing out there. Seriously, they could have come up with a hundred different things, and this is what they went with? I also think they did it this way to get at the data from people. Just adds on to the frat boy style of game they keep pushing. They can keep it, I'm all set.
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    edited February 2015
    I could say I contributed to this in Sims3, LOL. Although I don't ever remember it being a "challenge" in Sims3. I guess they kept track of it in sims3 also?

I don't like this challenge. This game is more for the teens and I don't see this challenge as a good thing (IMO) I am not naïve, I know kids some kids already know this stuff at such a young age, but really! This is like promoting it to me (IMO)

I am a lady with a big family and when I go in my game, I usually play single women romancing a lot of men (go figure) I wouldn't want my kids to see the way I play :o I do have my Sim eventually settle down in the game and have a family. (am I OT here?)

Anyway, I am not pre-ordering/buying the expansion for Sims4. I don't play it much anyway and this challenge has done me in :s

*hugs*

Edit to change OP to OT.....I am getting the hang of this, LOL
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    I could say I contributed to this in Sims3, LOL. Although I don't ever remember it being a "challenge" in Sims3. I guess they kept track of it in sims3 also?

I don't like this challenge. This game is more for the teens and I don't see this challenge as a good thing (IMO) I am not naïve, I know kids some kids already know this stuff at such a young age, but really! This is like promoting it to me (IMO)

I am a lady with a big family and when I go in my game, I usually play single women romancing a lot of men (go figure) I wouldn't want my kids to see the way I play :o I do have my Sim eventually settle down in the game and have a family. (am I OT here?)

Anyway, I am not pre-ordering/buying the expansion for Sims4. I don't play it much anyway and this challenge has done me in :s

*hugs*

Edit to change OP to OT.....I am getting the hang of this, LOL

@charlotteprice as you can see from this thread you aren't the only one to feel uncomfortable with this and the message it sends from EA. I'm pretty sure if some parents who don't play found out especially for younger teens they would worry about it's message too.

It makes me sad. They could have made it about all romantic interactions or kisses-those aren't as suggestive and it would make me feel less uncomfortable with the message EA appear to be sending out. To be honest I can't believe they didn't consider this. They know the sims is played by children as well as young teens, it's played in many cultures all over the world and might push people away from the title if they think it's teaching their children that it's a sport. Everyone knows what it represents in game!