Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why EA is collecting our data and the woohoo challenge

Comments

• Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    @blueasbutterfly the same as we are affected by your situations eventually it will influence elsewhere. We all know privacy is a hot topic at the moment pretty much everywhere.
  • Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    it really feels like we're not in kansas anymore sometimes. but such is the price I pay for my sims. I hope reform does come along. I just don't have a lot of faith in the system right now. I guess it's comforting that nothing they'd find on my computer is even remotely scandalous :)
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    it really feels like we're not in kansas anymore sometimes. but such is the price I pay for my sims. I hope reform does come along. I just don't have a lot of faith in the system right now. I guess it's comforting that nothing they'd find on my computer is even remotely scandalous :)

Haha yes they would soon see how boring I am ;)
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited February 2015
    not to mention the fact that there's no way I know of to monitor exactly what they monitor or send.
    Sorry for crippling your post but I'd like to say something especially about this part: There is a program called wireshark. This is a network monitor which can display the content of EVERY data package that runs through the line. As long as Origin doesn't encrypt the data we have good chances to see what's going on. Alas I can't do it myself as I don't have TS4 installed. So we'd need someone who is network savvy and has TS4. He or she could run a test with wireshark.

ETA: Wireshark is free of charge.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    not to mention the fact that there's no way I know of to monitor exactly what they monitor or send.
    Sorry for crippling your post but I'd like to say something especially about this part: There is a program called wireshark. This is a network monitor which can display the content of EVERY data package that runs through the line. As long as Origin doesn't encrypt the data we have good chances to see what's going on. Alas I can't do it myself as I don't have TS4 installed. So we'd need someone who is network savvy and has TS4. He or she could run a test with wireshark.

I hadn't heard of it but I'm glad I have now. I wonder if they do encrypt it, and if not, how long it will take them to start encrypting.

Eta I'm not playing the sims 4 so I can't help with testing I'm afraid.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I hate how I have to go online through Origin to use the Gallery in the game. I have noticed even when I'm offline, Origin is running with my game, so it has to be tracking something even in offline mode. I've noticed that playing the Sims 2 UC from the icon rather than through Origin doesn't count how long I play it. But if I open it through Origin it does.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    DextroyerX2DextroyerX2 Posts: 267 Member
    @DextroyerX2‌: You missed the whole point. I'm tired of repeating myself. In case you want to know what this is all about I suggest you do some more reading in this thread. If you don't care to get yourself properly informed I consider your posts as flame baiting.

And maybe you should read your own comments, why can you bait me but I can't have the right to do the same? You insulted and provoked me, I perceived your comment as a way of saying I'm some kind of mindless oaf who does everything to please the government. Just because I've had no negative experience with sharing GAME data. And I have read the thread.
  • Options
    @DextroyerX2‌: You missed the whole point. I'm tired of repeating myself. In case you want to know what this is all about I suggest you do some more reading in this thread. If you don't care to get yourself properly informed I consider your posts as flame baiting.

And maybe you should read your own comments, why can you bait me but I can't have the right to do the same? You insulted and provoked me, I perceived your comment as a way of saying I'm some kind of mindless oaf who does everything to please the government. Just because I've had no negative experience with sharing GAME data. And I have read the thread.
    If that's the case you should know that we are NOT ONLY talking about the game data. It goes far beyond that.

This space is for rent.
  • Options
    Really not worth an argument ;)
  • Options
    TerrylinTerrylin Posts: 4,846 Member
    edited February 2015

You can see that game data isn't the only thing collected here; http://www.ea.com/privacy-policy
    A. What Types of Non-Personal Information Does EA Collect?

When you use EA online and mobile products and services or you play our games on your PC or game system, we may collect certain non-personally identifiable information for purposes including improving our products and services, troubleshooting bugs, providing services to you, facilitating the provision of software updates, dynamically served content and product support as well as communicating with you. The non-personal information collected may include demographic information including gender, age, zip code, information about your computer, hardware, software, platform, game system, media, mobile device, including unique device IDs or other device identifiers, incident data, Internet Protocol (IP) address, network Media Access Control (MAC) address and connection. We also collect other non-personal information such as username, user ID or persona, feature usage, game play statistics, scores and achievements, user rankings, time spent playing our games, and click paths as well as other data that you may provide in surveys, via your account preferences and online profiles such as friends lists or purchases, for instance. We may also receive information from third parties in connection with market and demographic studies and/or other data that we use to supplement personal information provided directly by you.
    4. Analytic Metrics Tools and Other Technologies

EA also uses its own proprietary analytic metrics tool and other third party analytics technologies to collect information when you use our online products and services and/or play our games on your PC, game system and/or mobile device. These tools and technologies use server log files, web beacons, cookies, tracking pixels and other technologies to collect and analyze certain types of information, including cookies, IP addresses (including for purposes of determining your approximate geographic location), mobile or other hardware device ID or other device identifiers, browser types, browser language, information passed from your browser (if any), referring and exit pages, and URLs, platform type, click information, information about your media, peripheral hardware, software and/or applications installed on your machine and/or device, domain names and types, landing pages, pages viewed and the order of those pages, advertising conversion rates, the date and amount of time spent on particular pages, other Internet and website usage information, game state and the date and time of activity on our websites or games, information about how your game is used, including game metrics and statistics, feature usage and purchase history, as well as unique hardware identifiers such as MAC Address, mobile unique device ID (if applicable) and other similar information.

Just some examples of a long list of things they track and share **cough sell cough** with third party venders.

I have been good and only lurking BUT wanted to be sure that those who's eyes are closed should open them. :)

• Options
    MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    edited February 2015
    Ah yes, near the end of the oft-neglected EULA which comes with every game. There's the "opt out clause" written in bold-face at the end of one of the disclosures. "If you do not consent to (data collection) do not install the game"

That pretty much sums it up.

But as written above footprints are everywhere... Now including transactions made before the "digital age". Even your (rhetorical) --smartphones are watching you and reporting your whereabouts. (evil cackle)

• Options
    TerrylinTerrylin Posts: 4,846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Miki wrote: »
    Ah yes, near the end of the oft-neglected EULA which comes with every game. There's the "opt out clause" written in bold-face at the end of one of the disclosures. "If you do not consent to (data collection) do not install the game"

That pretty much sums it up.

But as written above footprints are everywhere... Now including transactions made before the "digital age". Even your (rhetorical) --smartphones are watching you and reporting your whereabouts. (evil cackle)

No actually that is the privacy policy and they don't link nor ask you to read it nor agree to it. It just tells what they can and will collect.
    EA TOS and Origin EULA has links before you click agree and they don't get into this much detail as to what is being collected. What we don't know, is it only game data we are opting out of or all the data collecting?

Yes we could not agree, but the disc in our hands is $60 is a Frisbee now since they have a no refund policy also. What would be nice is being able to trust a company you have bought from for 15 yrs and have never had this issue with. Now they decide they want more from me than money! They want to share (sell) the info from my computer also!
  • Options
    MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    edited February 2015
    I understand and wasn't being sarcastic or disagreeing with you.. Unfortunately I see a lot of those disclaimers... after you buy the product. Supposedly they cover that with a "return for full refund within (x) days if not completely satisfied".

It's like the fine print on any contract (or at the bottom of your TV screen after just about every food supplement or even car commercial--- The companies only put it there because they have to, not because they really want people to read it.

To wit the famous diet pill line while they show you the gorgeous "after" photo. "Results Not Typical". It's very small and it's not on the screen very long.
  • Options
    DextroyerX2DextroyerX2 Posts: 267 Member
    edited February 2015
    Terrylin wrote: »

You can see that game data isn't the only thing collected here; http://www.ea.com/privacy-policy

When you use EA online and mobile products and services or you play our games on your PC or game system, we may collect certain non-personally identifiable information for purposes including improving our products and services, troubleshooting bugs, providing services to you, facilitating the provision of software updates, dynamically served content and product support as well as communicating with you. The non-personal information collected may include demographic information including gender, age, zip code, information about your computer, hardware, software, platform, game system, media, mobile device, including unique device IDs or other device identifiers, incident data, Internet Protocol (IP) address, network Media Access Control (MAC) address and connection. We also collect other non-personal information such as username, user ID or persona, feature usage, game play statistics, scores and achievements, user rankings, time spent playing our games, and click paths as well as other data that you may provide in surveys, via your account preferences and online profiles such as friends lists or purchases, for instance. We may also receive information from third parties in connection with market and demographic studies and/or other data that we use to supplement personal information provided directly by you.

EA also uses its own proprietary analytic metrics tool and other third party analytics technologies to collect information when you use our online products and services and/or play our games on your PC, game system and/or mobile device. These tools and technologies use server log files, web beacons, cookies, tracking pixels and other technologies to collect and analyze certain types of information, including cookies, IP addresses (including for purposes of determining your approximate geographic location), mobile or other hardware device ID or other device identifiers, browser types, browser language, information passed from your browser (if any), referring and exit pages, and URLs, platform type, click information, information about your media, peripheral hardware, software and/or applications installed on your machine and/or device, domain names and types, landing pages, pages viewed and the order of those pages, advertising conversion rates, the date and amount of time spent on particular pages, other Internet and website usage information, game state and the date and time of activity on our websites or games, information about how your game is used, including game metrics and statistics, feature usage and purchase history, as well as unique hardware identifiers such as MAC Address, mobile unique device ID (if applicable) and other similar information.

Just some examples of a long list of things they track and share **cough sell cough** with third party venders.

I have been good and only lurking BUT wanted to be sure that those who's eyes are closed should open them. :)

I'm aware they have a privacy policy but this is what's to be expected when playing games from certain companies such as EA or playing MMOs etc. I'm not sure how many people read the privacy policy but it's completely the person's fault if their data is being shared. Edit: If they of course accepted the privacy policy which is almost always required for these types of games.
    Post edited by DextroyerX2 on
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member

I'm aware they have a privacy policy but this is what's to be expected when playing games from certain companies such as EA or playing MMOs etc. I'm not sure how many people read the privacy policy but it's completely the person's fault if their data is being shared.

:\ okey dokey

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I know this is OT - somehow, somehow not - we got ourselves a Samsung Smart TV a couple of weeks ago. It has a built in microphone for voice recognition. It was more of a coincidence when we found an article on the internet that claims that everything that is recorded by that microphone (even when the TV is in standby (you can't switch it off completely other than pulling the power plug)) is or can be forwarded to Samsung 24/7, allegedly for "usage statistics". After getting aware of that I blocked the TV immediately from the device list in our router. No internet TV for us anymore but we can live with that.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options

I'm aware they have a privacy policy but this is what's to be expected when playing games from certain companies such as EA or playing MMOs etc. I'm not sure how many people read the privacy policy but it's completely the person's fault if their data is being shared. Edit: If they of course accepted the privacy policy which is almost always required for these types of games.

For best results don't install anything \o/
  • Options

Just one more reason to NOT buy Sims 4.

This space is for rent.
  • Options
    NaydiNaydi Posts: 387 Member
    It is all in the name of marketing: making you pay them money for things you don't really need or even WANT. I mean, seriously, why would one go out of their way to participate in this challenge in order to get a gnome? Seriously? If they want my Sims' woo hoo stats, it is going to cost them a lot more than a gnome.
    This I do for the fun of it.
    • My Sims 4 Blog with Custom Content and Commentary is at Celynoir
    • Get my Custom Content at The Sims 4 Noir and Mod the Sims.
    • More downloads, houses and Sims, are available in the Gallery, under Naydi33.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited February 2015
    Never mind
  • Options
    barraakenobarraakeno Posts: 489 Member
    > @Cyron43 said:
    > You heard about the woohoo challenge? You guys are supposed to let your Sims woohoo the whole weekend and IF the goal is reached you get an ugly gnome and a hairdo for your Sims. Am I the only one who finds this utterly ridiculous?
    > BTW the data is evaluated by activating "share user data" in the game options. Does that ring a bell?

They were just making people enabling that so they could have a more true feedback with the game. That was ALWAYS on in EVERY ONLINE GAME and no one ever complained about that. This feedback is important so they could know how to guide their future work in the game.
    Brazilian guy here, so my English is not that good.

fB7mWIn.gif
    Spinning toilets confurm3d!!!!11!!1!1!!!!11!
  • Options
    barraakenobarraakeno Posts: 489 Member
    And all that I see here is people from 1800s
    Brazilian guy here, so my English is not that good.

fB7mWIn.gif
    Spinning toilets confurm3d!!!!11!!1!1!!!!11!
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Maybe you ought to put some glasses on then. People from the 1800's ... Seriously? That's probably one of the most absurd remarks I've seen.

Also... this type of feedback isn't even feedback, its invasive because it isn't only game data that's collected. And just because "every online game" apparently does it, doesn't make it right, or any less invasive. A bunch of statistics isn't giving "true feedback". It simply tells them what people are doing right at that given moment.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    barraakeno wrote: »
    And all that I see here is people from 1800s

You have got to be kidding me.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    barraakeno wrote: »

They were just making people enabling that so they could have a more true feedback with the game. That was ALWAYS on in EVERY ONLINE GAME and no one ever complained about that. This feedback is important so they could know how to guide their future work in the game.

Considering TheSims has NOT been an online game and as a sandbox gamestyle,
    it has always been left to the players imagination and creativity and NOT something to be measured.

Marcus Aurelius