Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why EA is collecting our data and the woohoo challenge

Comments

• Options
    ShearsyShearsy Posts: 727 Member
    Ive always allowed data sharing. I checked the terms and conditions and it does sim a little iffy but these days you are watched offline and online so personally it doesn't make a difference to me. Maybe its just my generation. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying I'm used to it and have the belief that sharing my type of play will help the sims cause... hopefully lol. :) Ive gotta think positive sometimes!

The woohoo challenge... well... to tell you the truth my sims don't do it often, only when they are going to have children or their fun and love is low and im too lazy to click through a bunch of interactions which is very very rare. I don't know if it's just me but I feel a bit pervy about it all if I make them do it for fun. Watching a bunch of pixels making hankypanky... *cringe* :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
  • Options
    Faith12368Faith12368 Posts: 2,997 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

In my point of view you are taking this challenge the wrong way.

Just exactly how are you supposed to take woo-hoo as many times as you can and if it's enough you'll get rewarded?

Exactly! I found this contest actually quite offensive, 1. Valentine's day is not just about woohooing. 2. why couldn't it have been something appropriate and tasteful, like a date challenge or something?

Cyron, the first thing I always do is turn off data sharing. I find it invasive and unnecessary. :)
    Long live the new Doctor!
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    Hi @Faith12368, it's so good to see you. *hugs*
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,302 Member
    edited February 2015
    Faith12368 wrote: »

Just exactly how are you supposed to take woo-hoo as many times as you can and if it's enough you'll get rewarded?

Exactly! I found this contest actually quite offensive, 1. Valentine's day is not just about woohooing. 2. why couldn't it have been something appropriate and tasteful, like a date challenge or something?

I didn't participate but seems they got quite a lot of likes on the Sims 4 facebook page and twitter for the Whohoo challenge so this may be another example of many of the official forum members not being the target audience.
  • Options
    Faith12368 wrote: »

I didn't participate but seems they got quite a lot of likes on the Sims 4 facebook page and twitter for the Whohoo challenge so this may be another example of many of the official forum members not being the target audience.
    Yep it fits.

This space is for rent.
  • Options
    kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    Well it looks then that it appealed to the target audience the "vision" was created for. Hope they like it and are as loyal a supporter as some of the long time fans that are displeased with it. I for one am not! And will not support it any further :\

kim :\
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    edited February 2015
    I think that challenge was utterly disgusting. I'm 25, I have no kids but I'm mature enough to know that if I caught my future kids partaking in such a challenge, they'd be of the computer straight away, and I'd uninstall Sims without a doubt. Not only that, but I don't want my data being tracked. I have a lot of personal files on my pc, and I don't like something that I associate with my gaming life getting involved in my personal life. It's scary enough that it remembers my credit card details, but it's just bad, and disgusting. I dread to think what would happen if EA was hacked and my card details were stored in their systems for anyone to look at. Other people my age disagree, but maybe it's just how we were raised.
  • Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    It should have been something like "How many gold medals can you get on dates?".
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I think my biggest problem now (I don't care for Sims 4 anymore) is a society which leads the data privacy act ad absurdum. So much for being a party pooper (see page 6). Generation careless is on the start but other people are still here and as long as I am alive I'd like this place to be as much enjoyable to live in for everyone as possible. Way too many bad things are happening anyway. Don't let us make it even worse.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited February 2015
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    keekee53 wrote: »
    It is a bit tacky but....

Every time there is a live broadcast for something new the number one question is...Can we woohoo in that tree, tent, bed, etc? Why wouldn't they have a challenge like this when they are constantly being asked about woohoo?

Maybe people will start asking more important questions at broadcasts instead of where can we woohoo. Something to think about especially if people were offended by the challenge.
    I know about those questions at the broadcasts and I'm always shaking my head over this. So you think it is wrong to be offended? Should I adapt to this idiocracy? Is it that what you are saying?
    I guess "offended" was poor word choice on my part but honestly a challenge like this doesn't surprise me in the least. You may not be one of those people who ask about woohoo constantly but woohoo comes up way too often in live broadcasts and gives the development team silly ideas like this one. They think that is what we want. Even if the question isn't asked they say and yes you can woohoo there...and cheers erupt on the live chat board...LMAO. It is becoming a way to market new items.

I don't think you should not adapt but you should not be surprised to see more challenges like this one...lol. I am pretty sure more development time goes into making sure an item has woohoo added to it than making sure everything else is running properly.

I agree with you but when I saw the challenge. I laughed, shook my head, said typical, rolled my eyes and moved on. You are right to speak out against it because that is the only way to get things to change. I guess I don't care anymore because I feel like I am not being heard by the development team anyway so I ignore a lot of the nonsense.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Why do people act as though collecting data is some sort of conspiracy? It kind of makes me chuckle to be honest. Considering I play MMOs that consistently gather my game data :p
    The US government loves you. If only all people around the world would be like you. They could scrap the National Surveillance Agency and save billions of tax dollars each year.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    Why do people act as though collecting data is some sort of conspiracy? It kind of makes me chuckle to be honest. Considering I play MMOs that consistently gather my game data :p
    The US government loves you. If only all people around the world would be like you. They could scrap the National Surveillance Agency and save billions of tax dollars each year.

That's like saying they'd scrap the military budget if we weren't at war ;)
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    edited February 2015
    Evalen wrote: »
    I find it pretty tacky myself because I have young cousins who play the sims and I think it sends the wrong message.

Even if I was still playing ts4 my game tracking would be staying well and truly off. The sims is my personal business, not for prying eyes to take and make decisions from. Use surveys-at least then you know your sample is more likely to be representative. Plenty of simmers turn tracking data off so it skews the data they collect.

@sparkfairy1 I agree, I am sure that a mother of kids that are playing this game are not to happy about this. Mother's talk to other mothers, and if the word gets around that this game is not right for kids to be playing they will not buy it. I don't think that a mother of a child in RL would consent to their child doing this kind of challenge. This is tacky and uncalled for. Where are they heading, everything seems to be on whoo hooing. Like it is something new, it has been in existence since the beginning of time. This does send the wrong message.
    By the way what is the tracking tool you are talking about and how do you turn it off. Is it when you play online.
    I will not be participating in this challenge for many reasons.

Yes I think so too. It seems so weird and not at all the image that the sims has held for all these years.
    I mean I worried about my parents seeing the 'hot date' box when I was a young teen but if they had heard about this challenge that would be it, I'd have been banned from playing the sims.
    It also seems odd given that many of us who have played since the start have grown with the game and we are the ages to be parents now-so it will inevitably get heard by parents through those players who are parents discussing it.

I find it puzzling given the devs saying they don't have a problem with their kids playing it-then we get this challenge. It seems so contradictory.

Teens with 13 years old play GTA and you are worried they might see you doing this challenge? Please...give me a break...

I'm sure there are lots of diferent people some more conservative then others, but you can't expect that the whole world will react like this, because it won't, it's really no big deal.

Hold the phone,

How many parents could you sit down in front of GTA 5's first person street call girl play and they'd be like "what, I don't see the problem, I'm buying it for my 13 year old."

Sorry, I just can't give you a break.... added ................ for dramatic effect...................

• Options
    DextroyerX2DextroyerX2 Posts: 267 Member

I'm sorry but I don't want strangers loving me and especially strangers from an entirely different country that gets it's games for lower prices. No one is going to be the same, you can't expect everyone to have the same mind-set you do, just because a game wants to collect data for a challenge, like hundreds to thousands, possibly even millions of others games, doesn't mean some kind of Government Conspiracy is occurring, wow I can see it now, the government are trying to find out what people do in The Sims all by themselves, gosh, I'd be frightened watching Simmers force their Sims to woohoo tirelessly for the weekend or longer and seeing Sims be trapped in a room with a pool causing them to drown. I don't get why people are scared of a game wanting information, they've already got your Origin Account information, sharing what you do in a game is so harmful isn't it? I can see it now:

"Sir, we have found statistics that people who play The Sims 4 kill their Sims at least once a month and make them woohoo a hundred times a month."
    "Yes, we will use this information as a way to charge people with murder and forced woohoos!"
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    I don't get why people are scared of a game wanting information, they've already got your Origin Account information, sharing what you do in a game is so harmful isn't it?

why?

borg1.jpg

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind so much if it was only data from their games that they were tracking.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    @DextroyerX2‌: You missed the whole point. I'm tired of repeating myself. In case you want to know what this is all about I suggest you do some more reading in this thread. If you don't care to get yourself properly informed I consider your posts as flame baiting.
    Post edited by Cyron43 on
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Yes it's beyond the game data. That wouldn't bother me. It's all the extra information they are suggesting taking with that data that has absolutely nothing to do with how I play the sims.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Yes it's beyond the game data. That wouldn't bother me. It's all the extra information they are suggesting taking with that data that has absolutely nothing to do with how I play the sims.

Beyond that it is becoming the norm to do this. Exactly how many companies are watching our computer activity? How long we play what at a stretch, how many games we play in a week or three, our browsing history, even what email addresses we receive emails from, how many email accounts we have, what online retailers we do business with, need I even mention our logins and passwords for everything from banking to Facebook to online coursework for college... currently we as consumers have no control of what they do or do not track and whether they pass this information along. We can uncheck the little boxes but that assumes they respect it when we do. Just.... /crawls back under rock
  • Options

Beyond that it is becoming the norm to do this. Exactly how many companies are watching our computer activity? How long we play what at a stretch, how many games we play in a week or three, our browsing history, even what email addresses we receive emails from, how many email accounts we have, what online retailers we do business with, need I even mention our logins and passwords for everything from banking to Facebook to online coursework for college... currently we as consumers have no control of what they do or do not track and whether they pass this information along. We can uncheck the little boxes but that assumes they respect it when we do. Just.... /crawls back under rock
    Yep, we cannot even be sure if we are indeed offline when we switch to offline.

This space is for rent.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member

If it's anything like TS3, then it phones home the minute you go online anyway.

• Options

I would like to think it works but really its something that needs to be investigated because clearly that's wrong and was when it happened in TS3 too. If you opt out of these features the companies should be making very sure they aren't taking the information because that could get them in hot water.
    Just because they made mistakes previously doesn't mean we can't hold them to better in the future. Actually it should make the company and us more aware of the situation so that implementation of features like that are held with proper regard so mistakes are quickly and efficiently fixed.
  • Options

I would like to think it works but really its something that needs to be investigated because clearly that's wrong and was when it happened in TS3 too. If you opt out of these features the companies should be making very sure they aren't taking the information because that could get them in hot water.
    Just because they made mistakes previously doesn't mean we can't hold them to better in the future. Actually it should make the company and us more aware of the situation so that implementation of features like that are held with proper regard so mistakes are quickly and efficiently fixed.

I'm unsure about whether it could get them in hot water - it hasn't yet, at least not like it should. Technology and malicious practices have developed much more quickly than the law, not to mention the fact that there's no way I know of to monitor exactly what they monitor or send. It would require proof, I assume... I've heard a case is pending, but how far will it get? And how would any new rule be enforced? Even if they sent us a .txt file every week telling us what they data mined, I wouldn't trust it. If they put some kind of security feature on computers to monitor what was accessed by what program and what was then sent out, that might be a start, but it would be unlikely to catch everything - like antivirus, it would always be a step behind any attempt to outwit it.

I realize I sound very paranoid. It's not like I sit around worrying about it, but I recognize that these things are entirely possible... and in my experience, if things can be exploited, they will be. They've had scandals lately with national security employees accessing things they shouldn't have out of curiosity (like information collected on people they knew, for example), and there's far more oversight of them than there likely ever will be of unregulated data gathering. Not to mention that the data gathered was far beyond the scope of what could possibly have been called "national security." It was done... because it was possible, and because it was a system with such capabilities that was left unchecked. I wouldn't expect anything less of a massive company.
  • Options

I'm unsure about whether it could get them in hot water - it hasn't yet, at least not like it should. Technology and malicious practices have developed much more quickly than the law, not to mention the fact that there's no way I know of to monitor exactly what they monitor or send. It would require proof, I assume... I've heard a case is pending, but how far will it get? And how would any new rule be enforced? Even if they sent us a .txt file every week telling us what they data mined, I wouldn't trust it. If they put some kind of security feature on computers to monitor what was accessed by what program and what was then sent out, that might be a start, but it would be unlikely to catch everything - like antivirus, it would always be a step behind any attempt to outwit it.

I realize I sound very paranoid. It's not like I sit around worrying about it, but I recognize that these things are entirely possible... and in my experience, if things can be exploited, they will be. They've had scandals lately with national security employees accessing things they shouldn't have out of curiosity (like information collected on people they knew, for example), and there's far more oversight of them than there likely ever will be of unregulated data gathering. Not to mention that the data gathered was far beyond the scope of what could possibly have been called "national security." It was done... because it was possible, and because it was a system with such capabilities that was left unchecked. I wouldn't expect anything less of a massive company.

Certainly in Europe they take it very seriously and there certainly are people scrutinising these things and keeping a close eye on regulation.
    If you look at the bottom of the second link they say 'The EU's Data Protection Directive also foresees specific rules for the transfer of personal data outside the EU to ensure the best possible protection of your data when it is exported abroad.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29381114

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/
  • Options

Certainly in Europe they take it very seriously and there certainly are people scrutinising these things and keeping a close eye on regulation.
    If you look at the bottom of the second link they say 'The EU's Data Protection Directive also foresees specific rules for the transfer of personal data outside the EU to ensure the best possible protection of your data when it is exported abroad.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29381114

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/

Ah well that doesn't surprise me. I'm sure the big companies are aware of it, too, and rein themselves in as much as they feel they have to. Here, we have lines in our national budget taken directly from bank lobbyists :D and businesses are people. So I don't see it getting anywhere here, I should say. #murica