Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it okay for personality improvements to be tied to EPs?

Comments

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »

Or, it's possible that the changes don't end up as deep as we thought.

That's what I fear the most. Is that the changes won't be very deep, or that they won't be implemented in a way that most players who want that depth, and individuality to shine through in their sims.

The one thing that I DO love about sims 4 is the ability to create very diverse looking sims. But the thing that I don't love is that they all play out the same no matter what I "pretend" their interests and lifestyles are. The traits really don't make a difference in them. The moods don't. There's not much that makes them different at all!

I'm really hoping this is a feature that works well and really does make a difference in them.

I created a whole world of unique sims, but rotating around to them all is not as it should be.

I'll be keeping an eye on this and what it does for the game (or to the game). Most of the time, "features" and additions that the devs make do NOT play out as hoped by many, many fans.

I feel you. I think it's important we stay grounded with any expectations. Personalities can be improved, no doubt, but underneath it all it's still the Sims 4 mechanics and the general workings of the game aren't going to suddenly become Sims 2 or 3. So it's going to be personality improvements "Sims 4 style".

I think what often happens in these situations when a new big feature comes is some of us older iteration players get our hopes up that suddenly TS4 will be more like our favorite past game so we get upset when that doesn't happen. The fact is, it never will be, it's just a different game. If we players can make peace with that and accept it for the odd version that it is, there will be more realistic expectations and less disappointment.

I hear you. I know that. I won't get my hopes up, but I am very interested for the time being to see how this is implemented and whether (for me) it's worth investing in the game again.

I am too, I'm willing to take the plunge and get the pack and try it out. After all, I've been crying to the devs about personalities for how long, now? :lol:
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

That's what I fear the most. Is that the changes won't be very deep, or that they won't be implemented in a way that most players who want that depth, and individuality to shine through in their sims.

The one thing that I DO love about sims 4 is the ability to create very diverse looking sims. But the thing that I don't love is that they all play out the same no matter what I "pretend" their interests and lifestyles are. The traits really don't make a difference in them. The moods don't. There's not much that makes them different at all!

I'm really hoping this is a feature that works well and really does make a difference in them.

I created a whole world of unique sims, but rotating around to them all is not as it should be.

I'll be keeping an eye on this and what it does for the game (or to the game). Most of the time, "features" and additions that the devs make do NOT play out as hoped by many, many fans.

I feel you. I think it's important we stay grounded with any expectations. Personalities can be improved, no doubt, but underneath it all it's still the Sims 4 mechanics and the general workings of the game aren't going to suddenly become Sims 2 or 3. So it's going to be personality improvements "Sims 4 style".

I think what often happens in these situations when a new big feature comes is some of us older iteration players get our hopes up that suddenly TS4 will be more like our favorite past game so we get upset when that doesn't happen. The fact is, it never will be, it's just a different game. If we players can make peace with that and accept it for the odd version that it is, there will be more realistic expectations and less disappointment.

I hear you. I know that. I won't get my hopes up, but I am very interested for the time being to see how this is implemented and whether (for me) it's worth investing in the game again.

I am too, I'm willing to take the plunge and get the pack and try it out. After all, I've been crying to the devs about personalities for how long, now? :lol:

Oh, me too. It's been apparent for years now that the sims themselves are lacking in many ways.

I haven't bought anything for a long time....don't have anything since before the environmental pack. From what I've seen, I am glad I don't have it!
    With this, I will wait to hear more, but also will likely wait until simmers start playing it and finding all the issues or problems with it's implementation.
    Thanks for testing for me! lol
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    Dannakyri1 wrote: »
    bixters wrote: »
    Dannakyri1 wrote: »
    Isn't this pretty much every EP GP and SP that ever comes out. I personally have not loved 100% of the aspects of every pack. Sometime I have bought them for that 1 thing that I really wanted. For example, I wanted aliens but I don't care about active careers so I bought Get to Work. EA is a company. There goal is to make money. It makes great business sense to include a variety of different things in each pack that might appeal to different people to increase who wants to buy it. Those who wanted winter sports, Asian themes, or personality overhauls may be 3 separate and distinct groups of people so it increases their pool of people who are willing to buy it.

It just seems like people are always forgetting EA is a business. There goal is only to make money. To do that they try and create things that will appeal to the largest group of people so that people will buy it. A personality overhaul is something people have been asking for. I am going to assume it took a good deal of work to develop. I doubt they will give it away for free--

Except that we were told that Sims personalities would be complex in the base game, and that was $60. And their personalities were shallow!
    So now we have to spend $40 to make our sims' personalities more complex?...Something seems fishy.

It may make them money, but it doesn't seem very ethical to me. Which is why EA has such a poor reputation.

Just because they sim's personalities didn't meet your expectation of complex doesn't mean the company lied/was unethical. The Sims game was released 6 years ago! Do you really think they were like "I know what we will do....lets string them along for 6 years with the hopes of a free personality upgrade and then charge them $40 buck for it...wahahahaha...." I'm going to go out on a limb and say it has taken quite a lot of time and money on EA's part figure out the necessary programing.

I hated the Sims 3. I thought all the people looked like ugly cartoon characters and I spent half my time sorting to 10,000 color options for everything and you know what....I simply didn't buy an of the expansions. I wasn't thrilled with the Sims 4 when it came out, so you know what I did.....I waited to buy it until I had done enough research to make sure I was happy with the gameplay. No one made you pay $60 bucks for the game without knowing how the relationship/personality matrix worked. I am sure about 2 weeks after it came out there were tons of blogs and videos on the issues. It's not some big EA conspiracy to manipulate you out of your hard earned money.

bruh nobody said there was some kind of conspiracy. the problem with the sims 4 is that it's not it's own game, it comes from a franchise which had set very high expectations before. it's not fair to blame the people that expected more from the game but got way less.
    the game code was flawed from the start and you can't argue it, it's a fact. devs scrapped the whole online idea but kept the engine so that's one of the reasons they get along with limiting so many features. they promoted the game saying smarter sims not just smart sims. i have yet to see a smarter sim in ts4. you can say what you want but the gameplay & AI on ts4 is a downgrade.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member

Oh, me too. It's been apparent for years now that the sims themselves are lacking in many ways.

I haven't bought anything for a long time....don't have anything since before the environmental pack. From what I've seen, I am glad I don't have it!
    With this, I will wait to hear more, but also will likely wait until simmers start playing it and finding all the issues or problems with it's implementation.
    Thanks for testing for me! lol

Lol! I'll take one for the team and post my findings!
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    New aspirations and traits are included in nearly every new pack. Along with new careers. That content is exclusive to certain packs. And at this stage in the game, I really want to see more being done with the personalities. If those changes are not in a free base game update for everyone, that would be bad. And I don't see the teams holding back on releasing an update with the personality changes with the idea of making Snowy Escape more popular. The pack has a lot going for it, and it is going to be a top seller. It doesn't need to be padded with content that should be in the update for everyone to enjoy. If personalities are not improved upon in a base game update, and some players don't buy SE, what happens later on when the teams decide to add even more improvements? That simply would not work when some players bought SE, and others passed on buying it. It has to be in a free update for the base game for everyone to enjoy. There was also the short blurb about configurable platforms. No doubt that will be in the update because it's an update to a base game feature. Personalities are also a base game feature, and the teams have been generous with adding a lot of updates for the base game, and doing a good job of not making us pay for those.

The teams are aware of the fact we're tired of reskinned objects, reused animations and a general lack of family activities. They know how many of us felt about JTB. If they want to save this year, and rebuild some of our trust in them, this update for personalities had better be in a free update. If that turns out not to be the case, I will be waiting for SE to go on sale and will not pay full price for it. Just to make a point. I will not pay extra for something that should have been updated four years ago. Nor will I pay full price for the right to play an updated personality system that is not made available for everyone for free.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I've got the feeling that only the top of the mountain is snowy as the rest will turn snowy etc., only if you have Seasons installed. I hope so. You have to have some advantages having that too.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    This is the game I thought I was buying. Personality improvements really should be base game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBzE8hLQXLo&ab_channel=IGN
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    New aspirations and traits are included in nearly every new pack. Along with new careers. That content is exclusive to certain packs. And at this stage in the game, I really want to see more being done with the personalities. If those changes are not in a free base game update for everyone, that would be bad. And I don't see the teams holding back on releasing an update with the personality changes with the idea of making Snowy Escape more popular. The pack has a lot going for it, and it is going to be a top seller. It doesn't need to be padded with content that should be in the update for everyone to enjoy. If personalities are not improved upon in a base game update, and some players don't buy SE, what happens later on when the teams decide to add even more improvements? That simply would not work when some players bought SE, and others passed on buying it. It has to be in a free update for the base game for everyone to enjoy. There was also the short blurb about configurable platforms. No doubt that will be in the update because it's an update to a base game feature. Personalities are also a base game feature, and the teams have been generous with adding a lot of updates for the base game, and doing a good job of not making us pay for those.

The teams are aware of the fact we're tired of reskinned objects, reused animations and a general lack of family activities. They know how many of us felt about JTB. If they want to save this year, and rebuild some of our trust in them, this update for personalities had better be in a free update. If that turns out not to be the case, I will be waiting for SE to go on sale and will not pay full price for it. Just to make a point. I will not pay extra for something that should have been updated four years ago. Nor will I pay full price for the right to play an updated personality system that is not made available for everyone for free.

I doubt that they were aware of what you felt about JTB, having been making it for at least a year. It was fine for me. Didn't platforms come with Late Night and not the Base game?
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited October 2020
    I hope it's a toggle off. I love the sims 4 personalities just how they are and most definitely don't want them to head in a TS2 direction which, the personalities really ruin that game for me. But on the other hand, I love the snow world. If it's something like parenthood or the story progression in Eco lifestyles though, that's somewhat avoidable and actually enjoyable t's not bad at all, I just have to know how it works haha!

The sims in four right now have limited personalities.I wish this was a base game update, and toggle.

@Horrorgirl6 And that's how I like them but yeah base game update with toggle would be fine too! I don't care either way as long as it's a toggle off. I have spent a lot on sims 4 packs BECAUSE I like the limited personalities of this game best.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    This is the game I thought I was buying. Personality improvements really should be base game.

This is the best trailer for Sims 4, but it is still not true to how the game turned out:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=EhZZltvivH8

And this one is COMPLETELY misleading:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=gw0k9Mf3aIo&list=PLSnHrMX7SCvNtIERLfzYZ4xHXt3n5Pz8p&index=73
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    edited October 2020

This is the best trailer for Sims 4, but it is still not true to how the game turned out:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=EhZZltvivH8

And this one is COMPLETELY misleading:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=gw0k9Mf3aIo&list=PLSnHrMX7SCvNtIERLfzYZ4xHXt3n5Pz8p&index=73

I'm looking for the one where Rachel Franklin leads us through a love triangle with a wild night of moods and how they influenced everyone around them -- it made personalities and emotions look so incredibly in depth. I get that sales talk is just talk and advertising is misleading, but just trying to get to where they advertised should not be paywalled.

I have a feeling, though, that lifestyles and sentiments are not going to be very deep. Maybe a merge of the memory system where you can attach a mood to a screenshot which, if you look at it, can give you a moodlet and the parenthood trait system.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

@Beardedgeek OH MY GOD! It literally says: "They're so smart it's weird" What a big fat lie!
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    I hope it's a toggle off. I love the sims 4 personalities just how they are and most definitely don't want them to head in a TS2 direction which, the personalities really ruin that game for me. But on the other hand, I love the snow world. If it's something like parenthood or the story progression in Eco lifestyles though, that's somewhat avoidable and actually enjoyable t's not bad at all, I just have to know how it works haha!

The sims in four right now have limited personalities.I wish this was a base game update, and toggle.

@Horrorgirl6 And that's how I like them but yeah base game update with toggle would be fine too! I don't care either way as long as it's a toggle off. I have spent a lot on sims 4 packs BECAUSE I like the limited personalities of this game best.

In the Sims 3, they had three levels of autonomy. Completely off, where they'd just sit until you told them to do something, medium, where they would take care of necessities but not much else and full. Maybe something like that? Currently in Sims 4 you can switch autonomy off which should erase their personalities, but maybe it doesn't work that well? I don't know. I never switch it off.
  • Options

In the Sims 3, they had three levels of autonomy. Completely off, where they'd just sit until you told them to do something, medium, where they would take care of necessities but not much else and full. Maybe something like that? Currently in Sims 4 you can switch autonomy off which should erase their personalities, but maybe it doesn't work that well? I don't know. I never switch it off.

I dunno either. I hate having it off so leave it on too. I want them to do stuff on their own.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

@Beardedgeek OH MY GOD! It literally says: "They're so smart it's weird" What a big fat lie!

It also implies that giving them a walk style changes their traits.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options

I dunno either. I hate having it off so leave it on too. I want them to do stuff on their own.

But them doing stuff on their own, shouldn't that be tied to their personality? Or do you just prefer every Sim takes the same actions despite their traits?
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited October 2020
    Simburian wrote: »
    I've got the feeling that only the top of the mountain is snowy as the rest will turn snowy etc., only if you have Seasons installed. I hope so. You have to have some advantages having that too.

Hmm I don't think so personally, I think in that one world we will all get snow in the same places but I might of course be wrong :/ Let's hope not.

Who knows, maybe the sims will also only have personality on top of the mountain :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »

Hmm I don't think so personally, I think in that one world we will all get snow in the same places but I might of course be wrong :/ Let's hope not.

Who knows, maybe the sims will also only have personality on top of the mountain :sweat_smile:

There are many places where you have snow at the top of the mountains all through the year. but none lower down until winter comes around again. Some make artificial snow as does the one below.....

PS: Found that one of the snow resorts on Mount Fuji is called Snow Town Yeti!

I asked SimGuruFrost about the snow on Twitter. He didn't answer but later gave out the news of the 30th October run through with SimGuruGraham.
  • Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Features that are general should go into base game, features tied thematically with pack should go with that pack.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    No it should be in the base game. We never got the "smarter sims" they bragged about 6 years ago.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options

But them doing stuff on their own, shouldn't that be tied to their personality? Or do you just prefer every Sim takes the same actions despite their traits?

@Felicity Nah, or at least it doesn't matter to me if the stuff they do on their own is tied to personality or not as long as they do something. I'm just as happy for them to get a drink of water, something they all do equally as I am for them to do something specific to personality, so long as they aren't standing around. I don't want to just watch them play themselves like a movie, I play for stories and to create, so I want to be in control of the major things they do.

I'd say if we're adding more personality do it with more trait based options... like lazy sims can do the lazy nap, or neat sims can do a cleaning frenzy type thing, it's not autonomous but you can choose them to do it. Add more options like those in. But as long as it's nothing that fights against the player I'm not too picky on it.

What I hate about sims 2 personalities is that they take that control away from the player. I ask them to do something, but they refuse cuz they don't like that thing. I'd say have them not do it automously but still make them do it if told to. Trying to get two sims togeether as a couple that are uncompatible in that game is like pulling teeth, they won't do it and it breaks the storylines I'm going for and makes the game feel like a grind instead of immersive and fun. But standing around doing nothing breaks it too. How they are right now in sims 4 is pretty much perfect for my game play style and I love it!

I'm okay with personality upgrades to a degree, but I just don't want them to go in the directions of earlier games with those upgrades, so I'm really going to have to see what this is like before deciding. If it's something more controllable like the fame system or the parenthood system, then fantastic! THey still do what you want anyways and I think those systems are great!

• Options
    Well to be fair the personalities in the Sims 2 are fully in your control because when you make a sim you can choose what personality they have, so if you make a lazy sim and that sim doesn't want to clean up then that's your fault for making him lazy.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Well to be fair the personalities in the Sims 2 are fully in your control because when you make a sim you can choose what personality they have, so if you make a lazy sim and that sim doesn't want to clean up then that's your fault for making him lazy.

I prefer if you make a lazy sim they won't pick up after themselves autonomously but they WILL if you tell them too. I want personality and to see it play out, but to be able to easily override it by telling them to do something as well, but without autonomy off as seeing them stand around breaks the game play immersion too. And little things autonomously but nothing major like quitting a job or whatever.

Anyways, as this is pack tied in I'm guessing it'll be quite optional, no need to unlock it, so I'm happy how it is. I'm quite glad it's tied in with the EP! I think that's the best most fair way to go about it, as the game as been around so long with personalities like they are now that changing it isn't right on people like myself who spent a lot because they liked how it is. I don't quite get the connection to it being in a Snow pack? It seems unrelated but better than being forced on everyone. (Base game would be okay with a toggle off mind you, like I said, doesn't matter either way to me as long as it can be toggled off)
  • Options
    Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I think the main fix would be
    That this personality upgrade be patched into the main game.
    That they start to utilize toggles/options much more to appeal to those of us who want control over everything and those of us who don't mind a bit of chaos.
  • Options
    The personality improvement is one of the 4 main features in the pack. No way it will be a base game update.