Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it okay for personality improvements to be tied to EPs?

167891012...Next

Comments

• Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited October 2020
    mrkingv wrote: »
    This was said on a post at ScreenRant:
    "This new update comes with improved depth to Sims in the form of Lifestyles and Sentiments. Lifestyles are based on a Sim's experiences and behaviors and influence what a Sim will do when fully autonomous and how they will feel in certain situations. Lifestyles include things like Workaholic, Frequent Traveler, and Adrenaline Seeker. Sims can have up to three at a time, and as their habits change, their Lifestyles will also shift. Sims can also change their Lifestyle using a reward potion or by calling a lifestyle coach. This feature is currently exclusive to the Snowy Escape pack. All players will get the opportunity to experience Sentiments, though there will be expanded options if players opt for the DLC. Sentiments are feelings different Sims will have about shared experiences. While one Sim might reminisce on a moment with fondness, another may become sad. Now, when Sims share time together, the moments can mean more and affect their moods later on."
    So it seems Lifestyles will be a Snowy Escape feature and Sentiments will be like Lot Traits (added with City Living), that were updated on base game with a few more on the EP.

ohh so then we'll get some kind of personality enhancement for those who won't get the pack, that's better than i expected
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    bixters wrote: »
    Well, I just saw the screenshot of the "Lifestyles" feature, and it looks pretty shallow. Oh boy, my sim can be Outdoorsy! Whoopie, now my sim can be even more happy all the time because they're outside! Amazing....
    Unless this feature is a lot more in depth than it looks, then I don't care if they paywall this feature. It doesn't look like it'll add much of anything other than more annoying happy buffs to our sims. It won't revamp anything.
    This pack looks a good pack to buy for 50% off.

I agree. So far it's looking like these aren't the personality upgrades I was hoping for. :( I wonder if it will be like the Get Famous quirks, such as my "indoorsy" sims getting tense if they go fishing or hike. That could get really tiresome.

I'd love if they added traits like "Playboy," "Womanizer," "Femme Fatale." Maybe something like "Bad at relationships" or "Polyamorous." Traits that would add spice and drama to the game. Most of the lifestyles seem pretty bland.

But maybe there are more traits below the picture they posted? We only saw a small part of the picture...

there are similar mod traits like those but they don't rly make much of a difference. sims biggest problem is their AI although modders try to code traits better, the problem is on the game itself, the limitations about what can and can't sims do. also there are a lof of lacking animations which gives the sensation that all sims are the same. emotions are another issue as sims are more driven to them rather than their traits etc.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited October 2020
    We can see 12 out of 16 lifestyles in the trailer. Some are hidden but some are pretty easy to guess what they are.

ODORugC.png

I don't really feel that these will improve my sims personality that much, what's the difference between energetic and a sim who has the active trait for example?
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    logion wrote: »
    We can see 12 out of 16 lifestyles in the trailer.

ODORugC.png

I don't really feel that these will improve my sims personality that much, what's the difference between energetic and a sim who has the active trait for example?

I agree, most of the lifestyles look almost identical to traits we already have in the game. The only ones that interest me are the Junk Food and Healthy Food Nut Lifestyles. Maybe some of the Hidden ones could be interesting?
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    So Sentiments will be coming to the base game for free. Are they basically like memories? From the description that's what they seem to be.
  • Options
    FlapFlap Posts: 200 Member
    Ok, I'm very excited about this Lifestyles and Sentiments now that it seems to set up different patterns of Autonomy (not longer only affected by emotions) 🤩

Weird choice tbh to pick an vacation thematic expansion to include Lifestyles, but overall it looks very promising as a pack.
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    "This new update comes with improved depth to Sims in the form of Lifestyles and Sentiments. Lifestyles are based on a Sim's experiences and behaviors and influence what a Sim will do when fully autonomous and how they will feel in certain situations. Lifestyles include things like Workaholic, Frequent Traveler, and Adrenaline Seeker. Sims can have up to three at a time, and as their habits change, their Lifestyles will also shift. Sims can also change their Lifestyle using a reward potion or by calling a lifestyle coach. This feature is currently exclusive to the Snowy Escape pack. All players will get the opportunity to experience Sentiments, though there will be expanded options if players opt for the DLC. Sentiments are feelings different Sims will have about shared experiences. While one Sim might reminisce on a moment with fondness, another may become sad. Now, when Sims share time together, the moments can mean more and affect their moods later on."
    So it seems Lifestyles will be a Snowy Escape feature and Sentiments will be like Lot Traits (added with City Living), that were updated on base game with a few more on the EP.

The first ever base game update to alter and deepen sims relationships with each other. This is the biggest news Sims 4 has ever had, bigger than toddlers.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member

I think that is the best news we got so far regarding this :) I'm glad that the sentiments are at least base game - shared remembered experiences are something ALL OF US, regardless whether we want the pack or not, desperately needed.

And the Lifestyles don't yet seem all that exciting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited November 2020
    So from what I have seen the main show is the Sentiment System. I watch a video by IronSeagull and he had Nancy and Geoffrey divorce. The Sentiment they got from it made it harder for them to socialize with each other successfully. Sentiments are not permanent but seem to be buffs that can last for a few days to weeks. They effect how sims interact with each other as well as influence their current emotion when near each other. Sentiments can also be one sided and he mentioned that there is even crush sentiments. So sims can get "crushes" on other sims now. They also seems to be a bit of an attraction system but not fully sure. He checked out the Pancakes and Bob and Elisa had the Opposite Attract sentiments. It's hard to say if this was just because they had differing traits but already in a relationship or if this means sims can experience being attracted/turned off by other sims traits. Sims can also only have 4 sentiments with each other at a time and even when at 4 sims can still get new ones and knock old ones out. I do not know however if sentiments knock others out based on what sentiment is the strongest or purely what is newest. Sims can also do things to help lower the duration (and power?) of a sentiment. This could also mean that negative sentiments can last longer (and grow stronger?) eith further negative interaction.

Lifestyles is confusing a bit. Yes it is buffs but from what I have seem it also seems to effect sims autonomy. Yes a sim with Loves the Outdoors will like being outside but an Outdoorsy sim will actually aim to do things outside and spend as little time indoors they also get a career boost for being in a career that is "outdoors" and do worse in careers that are "indoors". I do wonder how a sim with the Lazy trait will act with the Energetic Lifestyle since those seem to clash, so I wonder if certain traits can't have certain Lifestyles.

Also yes even though there are the Active, Lazy, Love the Outdoors, etc traits. Sims can only have 3 traits so I think having lifestyles that are for the most part the same as those traits is great for sims who maybe you wanted to give them those traits but you wanted them to have 3 other traits more.

Edit: Also it seems like Sentiments only come from Base game and SE interactions. Hopefully it gets updated to include stuff from all previous exp and new exp.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited November 2020
    SimTrippy wrote: »

I think that is the best news we got so far regarding this :) I'm glad that the sentiments are at least base game - shared remembered experiences are something ALL OF US, regardless whether we want the pack or not, desperately needed.

And the Lifestyles don't yet seem all that exciting.

The reason why they arent that exciting is because every trait or lifestyle just gives your Sim a moodlet which depends on the forgettable emotion system. Some stuff seemed interesting, some lifestyles make your Sim react in a certain way but that is what traits were supposed to do, lifestyles should have likes and dislikes, and traits should define my Sim's behaviour. I want both of these things to have influence on my Sim's walk, expression, interactions and what kind of interactions they perform, the way they talk etc. All they get now is a moodlet which influences them for less than 1 real time minute.

Yes I agree, but I doubt we'll ever see the sort of personality stuff we had before in TS4 :(
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Ok does that mean all the teenagers are going to get lifestyles revolving around the cell phone? My sims teenagers are always using their cell phones. 😂
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641