Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it okay for personality improvements to be tied to EPs?

Comments

• Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    I think so, it's not the first time it has been done in a pack.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    They might come in a patch for everyone but not have as many options unless you get the pack.
  • Options
    Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 452 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    The Sims 4 already has personality features hidden behind a pay wall, Character Value traits from Parenthood, and the Reputation from Get Famous. When I learned that the reputation system was only part of the pack it made me quite bitter, something as important as a sims public image should be in the base game.

Same story here, if this new feature isn’t part of base game, they should have at least tweaked the base game systems to be more meaningful, otherwise I will be quite bitter.

Don't forget the chance cards from Eco Living.
  • Options
    LeaselmaryLeaselmary Posts: 108 Member
    What about the chance card from Eco Living? It is such a small feature, I barely notice it in my game at all.

If you want other sims to have babies you can always do it from manage households. I do. (If I am lazy. Usually I load the family and make them try for baby naturally).

I'm starting to think lifestyles and sentiments will not be a giant personality overhaul ppl dream about. Lifestyles are probably like celebrity quirks. Sentiments probably mean that sims will have extra relationship status with other sims who they shared a vacation with.

We have all kinds of relationship statuses in sims 4. Like "Soulmate" or "Bad childhood". And they do affect how sims feel about each other. Especially the parenthood ones. It's hard to have a good relationship with a child who didn't grow up well and blames you for it. A nice touch. Not exactly a game changing feature though.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Leaselmary wrote: »
    What about the chance card from Eco Living?

Regardless, it is the first only feature that comes close to story progression and it's unfair that's it's locked behind the pack with no explanation.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited October 2020
    What about the chance card from Eco Living?

Regardless, it is the first only feature that comes close to story progression and it's unfair that's it's locked behind the pack with no explanation.

I agree. Most of the chance cards have nothing to do with Eco Lifestyle. They should be patched into the base game.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    This is the game I thought I was buying. Personality improvements really should be base game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBzE8hLQXLo&ab_channel=IGN

It looks exactly like TS4 to me except for the "weirder stories" part. TS4 seems more realistic than previous iterations.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited October 2020

Oh, wow, this video does seem totally misleading. I've never noticed the walk style doing anything to their personality.

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited October 2020
    As for the question about personalities as such:

yes, I want a loner sim to actively AVOID contact with others than close friends and lovers, and even those more seldom. Basically if you go to a party with a loner not only should she be permanently tense while being there, if you shift control to another Sim she should go downstairs or upstairs or out in the garden if there are fewer people there. Maybe if tense enough actually lock herself into the bathroom or hide in a wardrobe.

Yes, I want my Romantic Sims to initiate flirting with not strangers and not everyone but a ROMANTIC Sim should by her own accord initiate or try to innitiate romatic relationships with one sim at a time and one with a high friendship bar at that. Not randomly flirt with every Sim she sees on the street and the gardener and the bartender. She should also strive to maintain that relationship with that particular Sim.

I want my ambitious Sim to go to work early, deliberately chose to work overtime by her own accord and to go early even earlier to class.

I want an EVIL Sim (not a mean sim, tho they are basically the same in this game) to not only sabotage someone's dew collector or spread false rumors about them but to do actual EVIL stuff.

AND I want my Sims to deliberately chose actions that fulfill their current ambition, not only their mood or trait. If the ambition requires them to work out for two hours, my Sim should try to find opportunities to work out.

Basically I want my Sims, if I release them from my leash, to be semi-competent not only in staying alive, but in fulfilling their life goals and act according to their personalities.
    As it is now the Sims in Sims 4 are about as personality driven as ciclids. Which is to say yes, if you own a couple you DO realize they have slightly different personalities; that one is shy, that one is nosy, but that's about it.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    PrealexisPrealexis Posts: 5 New Member
    Wondering what'll be shown in the livestream... I kinda get why it's behind a paywall but I'd rather a patch
  • Options
    KhrisstyneKhrisstyne Posts: 368 Member
    As for the question about personalities as such:

yes, I want a loner sim to actively AVOID contact with others than close friends and lovers, and even those more seldom. Basically if you go to a party with a loner not only should she be permanently tense while being there, if you shift control to another Sim she should go downstairs or upstairs or out in the garden if there are fewer people there. Maybe if tense enough actually lock herself into the bathroom or hide in a wardrobe.

Yes, I want my Romantic Sims to initiate flirting with not strangers and not everyone but a ROMANTIC Sim should by her own accord initiate or try to innitiate romatic relationships with one sim at a time and one with a high friendship bar at that. Not randomly flirt with every Sim she sees on the street and the gardener and the bartender. She should also strive to maintain that relationship with that particular Sim.

I want my ambitious Sim to go to work early, deliberately chose to work overtime by her own accord and to go early even earlier to class.

I want an EVIL Sim (not a mean sim, tho they are basically the same in this game) to not only sabotage someone's dew collector or spread false rumors about them but to do actual EVIL stuff.

AND I want my Sims to deliberately chose actions that fulfill their current ambition, not only their mood or trait. If the ambition requires them to work out for two hours, my Sim should try to find opportunities to work out.

Basically I want my Sims, if I release them from my leash, to be semi-competent not only in staying alive, but in fulfilling their life goals and act according to their personalities.
    As it is now the Sims in Sims 4 are about as personality driven as ciclids. Which is to say yes, if you own a couple you DO realize they have slightly different personalities; that one is shy, that one is nosy, but that's about it.

EVERYTHING you wrote.. I NEED. 😭
    AviaWinters.tumblr.com
    AviaTheDramaFiend.wordpress.com
    (not always sims related but I review and discuss television shows and movies. Foreign or not.)

I play on console and PC now! YAY!
  • Options
    @Beardedgeek you know there are ingame ways for your sims to kill other sims. Sabotage their relationships. Beat them up. Steal money from them. Make them miserable. How much more evil do you want the game to become?
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    @Beardedgeek you know there are ingame ways for your sims to kill other sims. Sabotage their relationships. Beat them up. Steal money from them. Make them miserable. How much more evil do you want the game to become?

Tbh, emotional deaths are actually pretty hard to achieve, at least for me it has been, I've never had a sim die of embarrassment or mortification because my sims never stay in those moods long enough for them to become the extreme versions of those emotions. Like my sims emotions change so fast I sware they must be bi-polar or something.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Tbh, emotional deaths are actually pretty hard to achieve, at least for me it has been, I've never had a sim die of embarrassment or mortification because my sims never stay in those moods long enough for them to become the extreme versions of those emotions. Like my sims emotions change so fast I sware they must be bi-polar or something.

No, it's not that hard, just stuck moodlets. They made it more difficult eventually, but it is still very very possible, I've done that. Soak them with voodoo doll to make them pee themselves. When they go to the shower, go right after them. Make fun of their outfit. Torment them. And ooops, you just humiliated another sim to death.

And emotional death is just the beginning of sims 4 murder obsession (it adds new and new ways to murder other sim, it's almost creepy at this point). But you have to know the game. Not everyone knows that your mischief sim can sabotage the rocket ship which will result in a rocket crash and can totally kill the astranaut. I've logged thousands of hours into sims 4 and I still don't know everything about it. But you can be very evil in this game if you want to.
  • Options

No, it's not that hard, just stuck moodlets. They made it more difficult eventually, but it is still very very possible, I've done that. Soak them with voodoo doll to make them pee themselves. When they go to the shower, go right after them. Make fun of their outfit. Torment them. And ooops, you just humiliated another sim to death.

And emotional death is just the beginning of sims 4 murder obsession (it adds new way to murder other sim in almost every EP, it's almost creepy at this point). But you have to know the game. Not everyone knows that your mischief sim can sabotage the rocket ship which will result in a rocket crash and can totally kill the astranaut. I've logged thousands of hours into sims 4 and I still don't know everything about it. But you can be very evil in this game if you want to.

Must just be a me thing then because I find it extremely difficult to get my sims or NPC's to a state from which they will die from overstimulation and believe me, I have tried. XD
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    Must just be a me thing then because I find it extremely difficult to get my sims or NPC's to a state from which they will die from overstimulation and believe me, I have tried. XD
    There are some very helpful (and funny) videos on youtube on the topic. I hope you'll get the result you want :)
  • Options
    There are some very helpful (and funny) videos on youtube on the topic. I hope you'll get the result you want :)

I'm definitely going to have a look, just so I can experience a sim die laughing just for the sake of seeing it. XD
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I'll be semi fine with it, if the pre-patch added something to update their personalities and traits. Still on the side of base game patch for all though.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    Aquarius94 wrote: »
    I'm not troubled by this at all. In fact, up until now I have used a mod that pretty much does the same thing with personality, that is. To my knowledge it's not yet updated for the latest patch, however. So, I'm flying without it. But, I do miss it.

If it's the mod I mentioned before then yes, it's been updated for the latest patch. She's usually good with keeping her mods up to date.

That's the one. I frequently check her Discord, so I'm surprised I missed the announcement. Thanks for the Head's Up. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Well, I just saw the screenshot of the "Lifestyles" feature, and it looks pretty shallow. Oh boy, my sim can be Outdoorsy! Whoopie, now my sim can be even more happy all the time because they're outside! Amazing....
    Unless this feature is a lot more in depth than it looks, then I don't care if they paywall this feature. It doesn't look like it'll add much of anything other than more annoying happy buffs to our sims. It won't revamp anything.
    This pack looks a good pack to buy for 50% off.
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    Well, I just saw the screenshot of the "Lifestyles" feature, and it looks pretty shallow. Oh boy, my sim can be Outdoorsy! Whoopie, now my sim can be even more happy all the time because they're outside! Amazing....
    Unless this feature is a lot more in depth than it looks, then I don't care if they paywall this feature. It doesn't look like it'll add much of anything other than more annoying happy buffs to our sims. It won't revamp anything.

I agree. So far it's looking like these aren't the personality upgrades I was hoping for. :( I wonder if it will be like the Get Famous quirks, such as my "indoorsy" sims getting tense if they go fishing or hike. That could get really tiresome.
  • Options
    mrkingvmrkingv Posts: 103 Member
    edited October 2020
    This was said on a post at ScreenRant:
    "This new update comes with improved depth to Sims in the form of Lifestyles and Sentiments. Lifestyles are based on a Sim's experiences and behaviors and influence what a Sim will do when fully autonomous and how they will feel in certain situations. Lifestyles include things like Workaholic, Frequent Traveler, and Adrenaline Seeker. Sims can have up to three at a time, and as their habits change, their Lifestyles will also shift. Sims can also change their Lifestyle using a reward potion or by calling a lifestyle coach. This feature is currently exclusive to the Snowy Escape pack. All players will get the opportunity to experience Sentiments, though there will be expanded options if players opt for the DLC. Sentiments are feelings different Sims will have about shared experiences. While one Sim might reminisce on a moment with fondness, another may become sad. Now, when Sims share time together, the moments can mean more and affect their moods later on."
    So it seems Lifestyles will be a Snowy Escape feature and Sentiments will be like Lot Traits (added with City Living), that were updated on base game with a few more on the EP.
    GKOVUiH.png

Forum Discussion • Read it HERE
  • Options
    Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    I know it sucks and I get where everyone is coming from but this is basically how it worked since the Sims 1, new interactions and personality traits were always tied to game packs. Attraction in the Sims 2 was not base game for example. Does it make it okay? ehhh kind of, it's how businesses work even if it's annoying for stuff to be behind a paywall. But at the same time I don't see how the lifestyle system would differ from any other thing added in an expansion pack. You could easily ask if it is okay to add weather or dogs to an expansion pack instead of being in free patches. Are expansion packs okay at all?

Now, I still really hope we get improvements to personality via patches too because improvements are always nice but at the same time I actually don't have a problem with the personalities in 4 as opposed to the prior games, and I really want the new pack for a lot of other reasons.
  • Options
    mrkingv wrote: »
    This was said on a post at ScreenRant:
    "This new update comes with improved depth to Sims in the form of Lifestyles and Sentiments. Lifestyles are based on a Sim's experiences and behaviors and influence what a Sim will do when fully autonomous and how they will feel in certain situations. Lifestyles include things like Workaholic, Frequent Traveler, and Adrenaline Seeker. Sims can have up to three at a time, and as their habits change, their Lifestyles will also shift. Sims can also change their Lifestyle using a reward potion or by calling a lifestyle coach. This feature is currently exclusive to the Snowy Escape pack. All players will get the opportunity to experience Sentiments, though there will be expanded options if players opt for the DLC. Sentiments are feelings different Sims will have about shared experiences. While one Sim might reminisce on a moment with fondness, another may become sad. Now, when Sims share time together, the moments can mean more and affect their moods later on."
    So it seems Lifestyles will be a Snowy Escape feature and Sentiments will be like Lot Traits (added with City Living), that were updated on base game with a few more on the EP.

That's good to hear! Thanks for clarifying. I'm glad they aren't exclusive to the pack.
    So far, I'm not really wowed by them. We'll see if they make much difference to the sims' personalities. I'm skeptical after seeing the screenshot from the trailer.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    bixters wrote: »

I agree. So far it's looking like these aren't the personality upgrades I was hoping for. :( I wonder if it will be like the Get Famous quirks, such as my "indoorsy" sims getting tense if they go fishing or hike. That could get really tiresome.

I'd love if they added traits like "Playboy," "Womanizer," "Femme Fatale." Maybe something like "Bad at relationships" or "Polyamorous." Traits that would add spice and drama to the game. Most of the lifestyles seem pretty bland.

But maybe there are more traits below the picture they posted? We only saw a small part of the picture...