Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it okay for personality improvements to be tied to EPs?

Comments

• Options
    KhrisstyneKhrisstyne Posts: 368 Member
    Could this possibly end up like the reminisce option in Knifty Knitting?

:#
    AviaWinters.tumblr.com
    AviaTheDramaFiend.wordpress.com
    (not always sims related but I review and discuss television shows and movies. Foreign or not.)

I play on console and PC now! YAY!
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Omri147 wrote: »
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Yes. In The Sims 2 Personality was improved with Turn on and Turn Off(NightLife) Hobbies and Interest (FreeTime) and Reputation (Apartment Life). So I do not see why they cannot do those again TS4.

The problem comes into place when the core personality are still broken in the base game. Personality improvements for the traits and aspirations alongside with whims and emotions are all tied to the base game. As we know those are broken. The new system will attemptto fix those but certaintly will fail because at its core it is broken

To clear things up it is ok, if the game has a solid foundstion for personslity. But for TS4 while I like that thry are improving personalities, the base game ones should first need to be overhsuled
    The thing with turn ons and turn offs, they were included with every pack that came after Nightlife (which is every pack except University) as well so you could have gotten only... Sims 2 Kitchen & Bath Stuff and still get them.

And other then that Sims 2 Sims already had actual personalities since the base game so it wasn't as severe.

I don't think that's quite true. Maybe prepatch, because all their turn ons (which are lifestates that came with them) came into my game without having said expasions installed.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited October 2020
    bixters wrote: »
    People have explained repeatedly why this is different with the Sims 4 then with the previous games. But I guess some people are still fine with it...?
    Well for everyone who doesn't have a problem with it: Don't you dare complain when you have to $20 for a better family tree, or another $40 when you want Favorites, or $10 when you want a Fear emotion. Because this isn't any different.
    We should be holding EA accountable. I wouldn't be surprised if with The Sims 5 you have to pay just to have your sims to have a skill or trait. $10 for the Gloomy trait, another $10 for the Outgoing trait.
    But I guess people just millionaires and have thousands of dollars to spend, alrighty then :*

well similarily i won't be mad if fear emotion is part of pack with creepy stuff like happy haunts and it could come with very detailed phobias system even

I won't be mad if interests or favorites or better aspiration add ons are part of hobby pack or generations pack that well naturally adds to those.

I won't be mad if turn on turn off or other deeper romance systems are part of romance pack cause i mean why not thats literally what you ask for when you buy romance pack.

I won't be mad if some of the emotions got more intense in pack with therapist career or something

I don't see why emotion related systems should be regarded different from other overall systems like phases or clubs

and as for traits there is many that are pack content already and im not mad as long as its useful themed traits and not something as boring as "outgoing"
    (why would i ever need that trait anyway)

as for the base game yes they could always update it and doing sentiments in pack now doesnt mean they can't improve other areas of base game emotions systems in updates
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    People have explained repeatedly why this is different with the Sims 4 then with the previous games. But I guess some people are still fine with it...?
    Well for everyone who doesn't have a problem with it: Don't you dare complain when you have to $20 for a better family tree, or another $40 when you want Favorites, or $10 when you want a Fear emotion. Because this isn't any different.
    We should be holding EA accountable. I wouldn't be surprised if with The Sims 5 you have to pay just to have your sims to have a skill or trait. $10 for the Gloomy trait, another $10 for the Outgoing trait.
    But I guess people just millionaires and have thousands of dollars to spend, alrighty then :*

well similarily i won't be mad if fear emotion is part of pack with creepy stuff like happy haunts and it could come with very detailed phobias system even

I won't be mad if interests or favorites are part of hobby pack that well naturally adds to those.

I won't be mad if turn on turn off or other deeper romance systems are part of romance pack cause i mean why not

I won't be mad if some of the emotions got more intense in pack with therapist career or something

I don't see why emotion related systems should be regarded different from other overall systems like phases or clubs

and as for traits there is many that are pack content already and im not mad as long as its useful themed traits and not something as boring as "outgoing"

as for the base game yes they could always update it and doing sentiments in pack now doesnt mean they can't improve base game emotion whims and aspirations systems later on.

Are you willing to pay for all of those things separately? Because that's the impression I'm getting. Not everyone is wealthy and can pay for every single object and feature in the game separately. And that's the path the Sims is going down. Microtransactions.
    But, I can't change the way people spend their money, even when it's not a good deal ;)
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited October 2020
    What exactly does "UNLOCK new personality and relationship effects" mean? So, does that mean it's goal oriented? Our sims will have to accomplish something in order to have these effects in the game?
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited October 2020
    Simmingal wrote: »

I won't be mad if interests or favorites are part of hobby pack that well naturally adds to those.

I won't be mad if turn on turn off or other deeper romance systems are part of romance pack cause i mean why not

as for the base game yes they could always update it and doing sentiments in pack now doesnt mean they can't improve base game emotion whims and aspirations systems later on.

Are you willing to pay for all of those things separately? Because that's the impression I'm getting. Not everyone is wealthy and can pay for every single object and feature in the game separately. And that's the path the Sims is going down. Microtransactions.
    But, I can't change the way people spend their money, even when it's not a good deal ;)

why wouldn't I as long as other parts of the pack are useful to me? like its pretty obvious if you dont feel like getting romance pack you probably are not in such rush to get romance systems anyway

+its not only that system i am paying for this isnt ts3 store
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    izecson wrote: »

Considering it's a sim universe, should they just mix chinese, korean and japanese into single city? but that might receive backlash, but I know a game who did it and loved by the community and It's Guild Wars. the game mixed those three cultures into one named Canthan.

Ive never played it so I may be wrong, but isnt that basically City Living? A mix of asian cultures?

Yeah to be honest I forgot about that one.

But what I actually meant is that one world where 3 neighborhood represent different culture both in building structure and the inhabitant. Like you can have Japanese district, Korean district and Chinese district in that New world.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Okay, so I don't want to hijack other threads with negative thoughts and all, so I'll throw it out here ...

Assuming that the new Lifestyles and Sentiments work as intended, and actually flesh out sim personalities, as described below:
    The Sims 4 Snowy Escape also introduces Lifestyles and Sentiments features, adding more depth to Sims’ personalities and relationships. For the first time, up to 16 Lifestyles will manifest in response to a Sim’s actions and habits, changing their behaviors significantly more than Create a Sim traits as they reflect a Sim’s lived experiences. Sentiments represent how two Sims can feel differently about the outcome of a shared experience and have a lasting impact on Sims’ relationships to each other, affecting their social interactions.
    https://ir.ea.com/press-releases/press-release-details/2020/Bundle-Up-For-The-Ultimate-Winter-Getaway-In-The-Sims-4-Snowy-Escape-Available-November-13/default.aspx

.. is that really the route they're going with our feedback that sims need more personality?
    Tying it to a 40 USD expansion?

.. feel free to share your thoughts. I'm really confused about how I feel about any of this. I really thought a pack like this (snow, winter, mountains) would excite me rather than worry me.

I think this will come for free in the Nov Update.

Yeah I still really don't. Also wouldn't they have confirmed that by now? Seems like an easy win. But I haven't finished reading this thread yet, maybe I'll found by the end of it that they have. I got a little busy watching Hill House. :fearful:
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited October 2020
    Okay, so I don't want to hijack other threads with negative thoughts and all, so I'll throw it out here ...

Assuming that the new Lifestyles and Sentiments work as intended, and actually flesh out sim personalities, as described below:
    The Sims 4 Snowy Escape also introduces Lifestyles and Sentiments features, adding more depth to Sims’ personalities and relationships. For the first time, up to 16 Lifestyles will manifest in response to a Sim’s actions and habits, changing their behaviors significantly more than Create a Sim traits as they reflect a Sim’s lived experiences. Sentiments represent how two Sims can feel differently about the outcome of a shared experience and have a lasting impact on Sims’ relationships to each other, affecting their social interactions.
    https://ir.ea.com/press-releases/press-release-details/2020/Bundle-Up-For-The-Ultimate-Winter-Getaway-In-The-Sims-4-Snowy-Escape-Available-November-13/default.aspx

.. is that really the route they're going with our feedback that sims need more personality?

.. feel free to share your thoughts. I'm really confused about how I feel about any of this. I really thought a pack like this (snow, winter, mountains) would excite me rather than worry me.

@SimTrippy Yes it should be tied to an EP since it EXPANDS the game and game play.
    Nothing in life is free.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited October 2020
    troshalom wrote: »

@SimTrippy Yes it should be tied to an EP since it EXPANDS the game and game play.
    Nothing in life is free.

I know luv, but most games surely offer more bang for your buck than this one, and I can see that even though I'm not one of those people that absolutely despises this game.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Yes. In The Sims 2 Personality was improved with Turn on and Turn Off(NightLife) Hobbies and Interest (FreeTime) and Reputation (Apartment Life). So I do not see why they cannot do those again TS4.

@TS1299 I would remove the hobbies and interests from that list because it is strongly tied to the content of the pack which was hobbies and could not exist without it.

I think why people are sceptical about the personality thing in Snowy Escape is because it seems to be less related to vacationing and more general which makes you wonder why it wasn't added in the base game.
    If the lifestyles and sentiments do end up being strongly dependent from the EP then no problem. But if they have nothing to do with it and seem like they could have been a base game feature we are now paying 40€ for then that's a problem.

You see there's a difference between expanding personalities than depend on the EP and just expanding them in general but locking it behind and EP.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    CL lot traits were added to BG but those werent a key feature, but tbh all the key features of this pack seem messed up. I feel like they just chose random stuff as a key feature. I see a lot of people saying that theyre wanting to buy the pack anyway but what about those that dont like this pack, put aside 40 dollars for a feature that should have been free in the first place?

Yeah, I'm kinda one of those people. I don't have any interest in winter sports and there's really only a few little things in the pack that interest me besides the world. I do like the Japanese theme, I just don't know if I'd get much use of it in my game since I don't build and I play in a fantastical world. Normally I'd get this pack in the next sale but the Lifestyles and Sentiments are the things that I absolutely need to grab.

I definitely understand the principal that personality tweaks should be patched into the base game because they are way long overdue, but I also see why six years later it might be risky to force a huge change on their 30 million players. It's possible that the devs want to gauge the general reaction to big changes by putting them in a pack to see how people respond to the gameplay. But this is only a guess.

Another thing to consider is the possibility of weird bugs and game disruptions. The Sims have been simplified for so long that trying to tweak their behaviors now, so late in development, could mean we end up with some unforeseen issues that are invasive to the gameplay in the long run, or take time to work out, like in Eco Lifestyle. A pack can be disabled, but the base game cannot.

I have a feeling that those who get the pack right away are going to be the real playtest for how well deeper changes are actually received.

Or, it's possible that the changes don't end up as deep as we thought.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    Oddly enough I think I am fine with these personality improvements being pack exclusive. The base game has been out for so long, and it has received so many free items and improvements, and I suspect that will continue, I don't always feel that I got my money's worth with the DLC, but the basegame is probably a fair buy even for those who paid full price. I do understand that the current personality system needs help, and if I didn't like the theme of Snowy Escape I would likely be annoyed at the need to buy a pack to improve lifestyles, so I respect that others are bothered about that, but hopefully it will be something that they continue to expand upon. I might change my mind once we get more information about Snowy Escape. Which is why I say "I think I am okay with it'.

I guess, added personality is something I want so bad, and I would rather pay for it, than not get it at all.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    APotts wrote: »
    I guess, added personality is something I want so bad, and I would rather pay for it, than not get it at all.

@APotts Well if you bought the game when it came out, you already paid for it...
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    also if this isnt deep maybe since its late in the games life they might end up taking the feedback from lack of personalities and putting them into the sims 5 instead. ive thought that the sims 4 might not get an overhaul depening on how long the sims 4 has content left. i mean if they are planning to end it in a few years they might just decide to add this content to the sims 5 instead. same with improved babies. however if this is a huge update for the pack it does make sense that it would be easier to put it in a pack. then agian it might not even be a deep fix for the game. we wont know til we get the pack. hopefully there wont be as many bugs as eco had.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3
  • Options
    APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    APotts wrote: »

@APotts Well if you bought the game when it came out, you already paid for it...

I can see that side of the story, but I also remember the time before the game came out. I remember that it was pretty obvious that Sims 4 was going to lack a number of features. It's the reason it took me a long time to buy the game. I also recall all those new adopters defending the game as being perfect although it obviously was not. I remember the fights, and the reason we don't have a dislike button on the forum anymore. So I also see that side of the story. I left the forum for along time, simply because I was disappointed.

I respect your opinion, but still need to see more of Snowy Escape, before I decide how I feel on this issue.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

That's what I fear the most. Is that the changes won't be very deep, or that they won't be implemented in a way that most players who want that depth, and individuality to shine through in their sims.

The one thing that I DO love about sims 4 is the ability to create very diverse looking sims. But the thing that I don't love is that they all play out the same no matter what I "pretend" their interests and lifestyles are. The traits really don't make a difference in them. The moods don't. There's not much that makes them different at all!

I'm really hoping this is a feature that works well and really does make a difference in them.

I created a whole world of unique sims, but rotating around to them all is not as it should be.

I'll be keeping an eye on this and what it does for the game (or to the game). Most of the time, "features" and additions that the devs make do NOT play out as hoped by many, many fans.

• Options
    edited October 2020
  • Options
    Dannakyri1Dannakyri1 Posts: 207 Member
    Dannakyri1 wrote: »
    Isn't this pretty much every EP GP and SP that ever comes out. I personally have not loved 100% of the aspects of every pack. Sometime I have bought them for that 1 thing that I really wanted. For example, I wanted aliens but I don't care about active careers so I bought Get to Work. EA is a company. There goal is to make money. It makes great business sense to include a variety of different things in each pack that might appeal to different people to increase who wants to buy it. Those who wanted winter sports, Asian themes, or personality overhauls may be 3 separate and distinct groups of people so it increases their pool of people who are willing to buy it.

It just seems like people are always forgetting EA is a business. There goal is only to make money. To do that they try and create things that will appeal to the largest group of people so that people will buy it. A personality overhaul is something people have been asking for. I am going to assume it took a good deal of work to develop. I doubt they will give it away for free--

Except that we were told that Sims personalities would be complex in the base game, and that was $60. And their personalities were shallow!
    So now we have to spend $40 to make our sims' personalities more complex?...Something seems fishy.

It may make them money, but it doesn't seem very ethical to me. Which is why EA has such a poor reputation.

Just because they sim's personalities didn't meet your expectation of complex doesn't mean the company lied/was unethical. The Sims game was released 6 years ago! Do you really think they were like "I know what we will do....lets string them along for 6 years with the hopes of a free personality upgrade and then charge them $40 buck for it...wahahahaha...." I'm going to go out on a limb and say it has taken quite a lot of time and money on EA's part figure out the necessary programing.

I hated the Sims 3. I thought all the people looked like ugly cartoon characters and I spent half my time sorting to 10,000 color options for everything and you know what....I simply didn't buy an of the expansions. I wasn't thrilled with the Sims 4 when it came out, so you know what I did.....I waited to buy it until I had done enough research to make sure I was happy with the gameplay. No one made you pay $60 bucks for the game without knowing how the relationship/personality matrix worked. I am sure about 2 weeks after it came out there were tons of blogs and videos on the issues. It's not some big EA conspiracy to manipulate you out of your hard earned money.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »

That's what I fear the most. Is that the changes won't be very deep, or that they won't be implemented in a way that most players who want that depth, and individuality to shine through in their sims.

The one thing that I DO love about sims 4 is the ability to create very diverse looking sims. But the thing that I don't love is that they all play out the same no matter what I "pretend" their interests and lifestyles are. The traits really don't make a difference in them. The moods don't. There's not much that makes them different at all!

I'm really hoping this is a feature that works well and really does make a difference in them.

I created a whole world of unique sims, but rotating around to them all is not as it should be.

I'll be keeping an eye on this and what it does for the game (or to the game). Most of the time, "features" and additions that the devs make do NOT play out as hoped by many, many fans.

I feel you. I think it's important we stay grounded with any expectations. Personalities can be improved, no doubt, but underneath it all it's still the Sims 4 mechanics and the general workings of the game aren't going to suddenly become Sims 2 or 3. So it's going to be personality improvements "Sims 4 style".

I think what often happens in these situations when a new big feature comes is some of us older iteration players get our hopes up that suddenly TS4 will be more like our favorite past game so we get upset when that doesn't happen. The fact is, it never will be, it's just a different game. If we players can make peace with that and accept it for the odd version that it is, there will be more realistic expectations and less disappointment.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »

I feel you. I think it's important we stay grounded with any expectations. Personalities can be improved, no doubt, but underneath it all it's still the Sims 4 mechanics and the general workings of the game aren't going to suddenly become Sims 2 or 3. So it's going to be personality improvements "Sims 4 style".

I think what often happens in these situations when a new big feature comes is some of us older iteration players get our hopes up that suddenly TS4 will be more like our favorite past game so we get upset when that doesn't happen. The fact is, it never will be, it's just a different game. If we players can make peace with that and accept it for the odd version that it is, there will be more realistic expectations and less disappointment.

I hear you. I know that. I won't get my hopes up, but I am very interested for the time being to see how this is implemented and whether (for me) it's worth investing in the game again.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    I hope it's a toggle off. I love the sims 4 personalities just how they are and most definitely don't want them to head in a TS2 direction which, the personalities really ruin that game for me. But on the other hand, I love the snow world. If it's something like parenthood or the story progression in Eco lifestyles though, that's somewhat avoidable and actually enjoyable t's not bad at all, I just have to know how it works haha!

The sims in four right now have limited personalities.I wish this was a base game update, and toggle.
  • Options
    edited October 2020