Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it okay for personality improvements to be tied to EPs?

Okay, so I don't want to hijack other threads with negative thoughts and all, so I'll throw it out here ...

Assuming that the new Lifestyles and Sentiments work as intended, and actually flesh out sim personalities, as described below:
The Sims 4 Snowy Escape also introduces Lifestyles and Sentiments features, adding more depth to Sims’ personalities and relationships. For the first time, up to 16 Lifestyles will manifest in response to a Sim’s actions and habits, changing their behaviors significantly more than Create a Sim traits as they reflect a Sim’s lived experiences. Sentiments represent how two Sims can feel differently about the outcome of a shared experience and have a lasting impact on Sims’ relationships to each other, affecting their social interactions.
https://ir.ea.com/press-releases/press-release-details/2020/Bundle-Up-For-The-Ultimate-Winter-Getaway-In-The-Sims-4-Snowy-Escape-Available-November-13/default.aspx

.. is that really the route they're going with our feedback that sims need more personality?
Tying it to a 40 USD expansion?

.. feel free to share your thoughts. I'm really confused about how I feel about any of this. I really thought a pack like this (snow, winter, mountains) would excite me rather than worry me.

Comments

• Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    No. Nobody would be happy if they had to pay for a personality overhaul. Surely they won't be so foolish as to do that! The response would be even worse than the one for Batuu.

Now I'm nervous too.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    no, come on now core changes should be into the base game.. allow me to say even seasons & pets could've been in the base game by now. i loved the theme pack but essential gameplay should be available for everybody and not behind a paywall.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Yes. In The Sims 2 Personality was improved with Turn on and Turn Off(NightLife) Hobbies and Interest (FreeTime) and Reputation (Apartment Life). So I do not see why they cannot do those again TS4.

The problem comes into place when the core personality are still broken in the base game. Personality improvements for the traits and aspirations alongside with whims and emotions are all tied to the base game. As we know those are broken. The new system will attemptto fix those but certaintly will fail because at its core it is broken

To clear things up it is ok, if the game has a solid foundstion for personslity. But for TS4 while I like that thry are improving personalities, the base game ones should first need to be overhsuled

I think that is sort of why it irks me so much. We have been complaining for years that sims in TS4 need more in-depth personality and that the base is lacking. I always thought significant changes to personalities would come in a patch; not a pack.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    edited October 2020
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Yes. In The Sims 2 Personality was improved with Turn on and Turn Off(NightLife) Hobbies and Interest (FreeTime) and Reputation (Apartment Life). So I do not see why they cannot do those again TS4.

The problem comes into place when the core personality are still broken in the base game. Personality improvements for the traits and aspirations alongside with whims and emotions are all tied to the base game. As we know those are broken. The new system will attemptto fix those but certaintly will fail because at its core it is broken

To clear things up it is ok, if the game has a solid foundstion for personslity. But for TS4 while I like that thry are improving personalities, the base game ones should first need to be overhsuled
    The thing with turn ons and turn offs, they were included with every pack that came after Nightlife (which is every pack except University) as well so you could have gotten only... Sims 2 Kitchen & Bath Stuff and still get them.

And other then that Sims 2 Sims already had actual personalities since the base game so it wasn't as severe.
  • Options
    alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    if it is will probably be patched in the basegame too but added extra for the ep. otherwise i dont think its the actual fix. but just adding into a new ep for those who purchase.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    They may come in a pre-patch for everyone. Need more info.

yes i thought this as well.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    To be fair, I don't care how it comes, as long as better ways to make unique sims get here. As others have pointed out, packs have messed with and added to personality prior. Just the existing system has not really felt this weak.

Anyway, I had noticed all the the little details and interactions and dismissed them as trailer dressing. On top of that, I was underwhelmed because I felt that where I had been looking forward to both a snow and an Asian world that both concepts felt neglected to me. I am all on board if this is EP Personality, though. That would be wort it for my playstyle.
  • Options
    Calico45 wrote: »
    To be fair, I don't care how it comes, as long as better ways to make unique sims get here. As others have pointed out, packs have messed with and added to personality prior. Just the existing system has not really felt this weak.

Anyway, I had noticed all the the little details and interactions and dismissed them as trailer dressing. On top of that, I was underwhelmed because I felt that where I had been looking forward to both a snow and an Asian world that both concepts felt neglected to me. I am all on board if this is EP Personality, though. That would be wort it for my playstyle.

I think that is a good point .. simply because I always thought if they made a real "TS4 Gets Real" pack with major improvements to all aspects of sim personalities, a complete traits overhaul, wishes/fears, useful aspiration, meaningful emotions, etc. I would get it .. but then again this adds just one specific system among a myriad of other stuff, so it's not Personality EP as much as it's Mountain EP with a dash of personality.. but .. well.. yes I still think you have a point. Even though I clearly cannot articulate my thoughts today.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    They may come in a pre-patch for everyone. Need more info.

But if they did come pre-patch, would they really be listed among the 4 EP features like this:
    CJRrzZb.png

As far as I am aware, they have never shown pre-patch features in the EP feature list?

The pre-patch personality stuff will likely differ from the EP personality stuff.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    If it was a personality overhaul then no, you make a good point it's not nice of them to hide it behind a paywall.

I don't think it is a compete personality overhaul though. For all that we know, this could be sims getting some random buffs depending on what your sim is wearing. I guess we have to wait and see.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I'm ok if it's tied to the EP, as long as it has depth and it actually adds freakin' personalities to sims. I was skeptical of the pack, since I didn't see any significant gameplay features other than some activities but then I read that and suddenly it grabbed my attention.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member
    I stopped playing and buying after EL, my glass finally overflowed there. They got some work to do on the game before I will consider coming back as a player and even more to prove if they want me back as a buyer.

So, to answer the question, no I don't think it's right to hide a fix the game sorely need behind a pack to entice players to buy it. It's as bad as selling an Africa pack and that would be the only way people could get darker skin tones.
    You're Breathtaking!
  • Options
    logion wrote: »
    If it was a personality overhaul then no, you make a good point it's not nice of them to hide it behind a paywall.

I don't think it is a compete personality overhaul though. For all that we know, this could be sims getting some random buffs depending on what your sim is wearing. I guess we have to wait and see.

Lol I mean I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Like, at all. But I'm honestly not sure that'd be better. I mean if they're going to make us pay for better personalities, they'd better make sure they're at least worth paying for. Otherwise it's just a fluff feature.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    No, it's should have been the base game features, so does the reputation in get famous.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 442 Member
    I'm ok with it being tied to a pack - it was for Sims 2. And this pack looks so good, it will likely be one of my all-time favorites....and I hate winter!

I actually love TS4 more than TS2, and honestly the TS3 is in last place for me, despite limitations I like TS1 third overall. I don't get the mob mentality. Maybe because I grew up in the pre-internet gaming world, where SNES games for $50 (in the 90s) were bogus and too basic.
  • Options
    TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    edited October 2020
    if it is will probably be patched in the basegame too but added extra for the ep. otherwise i dont think its the actual fix. but just adding into a new ep for those who purchase.

Maybe similar to lot traits with City Living, where the base game gets the system and some basic options, but more options come with this and future packs? Or perhaps the core personalities will get a fix in the pre-patch, so this will just be something new but not essential.
  • Options
    I'm ok with it being tied to a pack - it was for Sims 2. And this pack looks so good, it will likely be one of my all-time favorites....and I hate winter!

I actually love TS4 more than TS2, and honestly the TS3 is in last place for me, despite limitations I like TS1 third overall. I don't get the mob mentality. Maybe because I grew up in the pre-internet gaming world, where SNES games for $50 (in the 90s) were bogus and too basic.

What mob mentality though? It's an honest question. I don't hate TS4, don't get me wrong, and if there is something they can do to improve what I really dislike about it, I'm all for it... but core issues shouldn't be fixed with asking me for more money. And for me and many simmers, personality in TS4 is a core issue.
  • Options
    SupersonicAvalancheSupersonicAvalanche Posts: 3,307 Member
    This EP just sounds better and better! (But I was going to buy Snowy Escape in any case, so I do understand if someone doesn't want better personalities tied to a certain EP) On the other hand I do hope it's not the last upgrade for better personalities, but rather something that will have a given place in every remaining EP/GP as well as all remaining free updates!
    Z5yqGx5.png
  • Options
    caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    If they fix the personality traits in the pre-patch I'm fine with it being part of the expansion pack :neutral:
    he/him
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I think we'll find out when the pack is released, i remember in the past they promote memories in the sims 3 generations as if it was the feature of the pack but actually it came in a free update.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    This EP just sounds better and better! (But I was going to buy Snowy Escape in any case, so I do understand if someone doesn't want better personalities tied to a certain EP) On the other hand I do hope it's not the last upgrade for better personalities, but rather something that will have a given place in every remaining EP/GP as well as all remaining free updates!

I am glad you're looking forward to it. I think if rn I was mentally in a different place with TS, I might be too. Because I've always wanted a snowy mountain world. But idk this kinda stuff just .. it annoys me. I don't have a better word for it.

Because what if I don't like snow or mountains? What if someone feels forced to buy this EP because this one features is actually implemented really well and fixes a lot of what they don't like about TS? Do they then pay for it anyway, even though they'll never use the world as such, or continue playing with lacking personalities while others don't?

I don't think it'll be such a huge game changer but .. you never know.