Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it okay for personality improvements to be tied to EPs?

Comments

• Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Locking one of the most requested improvements behind a $40 paywall is exactly the kind of anti-player behavior I expect from EA/Maxis. Worst case scenario is that it’s nowhere near as robust as they make it out to be. If it was that great they would patch it in.

Locking the new S class behind a 80,000 dollar paywall is exactly the anti car driver behavior I expect from Mercedes. How dare they??

...If you don't see a difference, I pity you. If you are just trolling... grow up.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Icewolf wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind at all to be honest. As other people already mentioned, The Sims 2 also included personality features in different expansion packs and back then nobody cared.
    Only difference is base game Sims 2 Sims actually had personalities to begin with expansions just expanded on them.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    As other's have mentioned, past games did put personality improvements behind paywalls, however, like others have also said, the base of the personalities was better to begin with.

I'm hopeful that this means that the November patch has some base game personality improvements. Maybe traits hold more weight and have more meaning for example. This pack would then just be adding onto that and no different from what they've done in TS2 and TS3.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    No, it's not. We were promised complex personalities with the base game. And they didn't deliver.
    I'm not going to spend $40 for a personality update that should be free with the $700+ we've all spent on this game.

Agreed. Though I'm guessing it'll be Parenthood rehashed.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Icewolf wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind at all to be honest. As other people already mentioned, The Sims 2 also included personality features in different expansion packs and back then nobody cared.

The Sims 2 had a sufficently strong base personality. And any add ons (like turn offs/ons) were an improvement since the Sims 1 game. Sims 3 expanded it even more with moodlets. Sims 4 has only gone backwards...and put in features that shouldve been based games behind a paywall.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Locking one of the most requested improvements behind a $40 paywall is exactly the kind of anti-player behavior I expect from EA/Maxis. Worst case scenario is that it’s nowhere near as robust as they make it out to be. If it was that great they would patch it in.

Locking the new S class behind a 80,000 dollar paywall is exactly the anti car driver behavior I expect from Mercedes. How dare they??

We aren’t talking about getting a whole new game here bud this is a $40 DLC. When you buy a new car and you’re given 3 complimentary oil changes you don’t have to buy a set of rims to use them. If you don’t understand it’s best to not toss out analogies that don’t make sense.
  • Options

We aren’t talking about getting a whole new game here bud this is a $40 DLC. When you buy a new car and you’re given 3 complimentary oil changes you don’t have to buy a set of rims to use them. If you don’t understand it’s best to not toss out analogies that don’t make sense.

I mean to be sure the 80 000 dollar Merc's built in computer most likely have more personality than Sims in Sims 4...
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member

6 years after the base game we certainly still have the right to demand good packs and bug fixes. But they owe us nothing for free. If the customers of the company I work for wanted our products (and thus my work) for free I would be ... highly surprised to say it politely.
  • Options

6 years after the base game we certainly still have the right to demand good packs and bug fixes. But they owe us nothing for free. If the customers of the company I work for wanted our products (and thus my work) for free I would be ... highly surprised to say it politely.

And the customer has the ability to go elsewhere.
    Or decide not to buy the product at all.

However, and this is very important: "throwing a fit" and "demanding stuff" is the only real way for consumers to actively correct behavior of corporations. This includes protests, boycotts and "voting with your wallet", but the wallet part is not the only correct move.
    You are right, EA does not "owe" us anything outside of a working product (which is what they sold the game as). But they are not immune to criticism because of it.

But then again a lot of people, especially in the US, defend companies instead of people because all the way since McCarthy, that is the way they are trained.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    It doesnt really matter what EA does at this point as long as customers still enable it by buying the merchandise. Want higher quality games, more content, transparency?

Stop buying it.
    I know I don't.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited October 2020
    Rouensims wrote: »
    I think it’s just like having family interactions in the Parenthood pack.

@Rouensims How is that not in the actual game in 2020 though? Parenting is now DLC? Typical Sims 4. That's unacceptable in my book as well. I paid 60€ for that game that was supposed to have personalities. The actually do owe us personalities for free :lol:
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited October 2020

You’ll be absolutely delighted to learn that these devs are paid for their work whether the content is released for free or not. Free content is written off against sales of the base game, this was what they told us when they explained why free content is such a heavily guarded secret before it’s announced. I know GAAP so please don’t try and argue that end of this convo.

Now with that being said, why do people have this expectation for “free” (it’s not actually free) content??!? Well EA/Maxis established that to keep their game relevant and extend it’s development life they would offer new content and updates for the base game in addition to the DLC also being produced. So before you go on about anyone working for free realize they have built free content into their development schedule and they are paid to make it just like everything else they make. Anything else you want to learn more about?
  • Options
    universal323universal323 Posts: 20 Member
    [quote="Omri147;c-17694768"]
    [b]The thing with turn ons and turn offs, they were included with every pack that came after Nightlife (which is every pack except University) as well so you could have gotten only... Sims 2 Kitchen & Bath Stuff and still get them.[/b]

And other then that Sims 2 Sims already had actual personalities since the base game so it wasn't as severe.[/quote]

Think is is an important thing to remember when comparing ts4 doing this to the sims 2. Not to mention the fact that they didnt have the tech at the time to patch freely the way we do now :smile:
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member

i kinda agree however in this case devs owe us smarter sims because they used that argument to sell the sims 4. the truth is that we've got sims with the AI of a vacuum cleaner.
  • Options
    SantiagoWittSantiagoWitt Posts: 40 Member
    I doubt there will be any clarification about this from the gurus, because it’s clearly going to be a new addition to the Simology Panel exclusive to the pack, just like Parenthood and Get Famous. They’ve already established how this works.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    FlpAmaral wrote: »
    If they fix the personality traits in the pre-patch I'm fine with it being part of the expansion pack :neutral:

This A thousand Percent!
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    The Sims 4 was supposedly all about personalities in 2014, what happened? Why do we have to pay for it again in 2020?

y4mczEtEUpnKWtkIaX4b-iLypjySfNSPxjyTwfjHHMlRteh9XBP7a_brb6ygf3n6RWOJ4APg6bDQKyI4MZJuwU5rrBZQzTDMx_1BqS6dWOH3Rrd0vFXKmohyHVqwaJQ-tD_odk0Lfk7oOz1SJIYD8BwXW99ynCIu5hni7toyI8Y9V2ff3l84_TQymq3k_EExh0PUYq6Sm8BKmqGjoqJy6A1AA?width=660&height=574&cropmode=none

Some notable quotes from the articles:

The game is looking beautiful and funky, if you’re into that kind of thing, with the personalities taking center-stage. EA says that this new personality feature will impact on how Sims interact.

So why do we need to spend $40 more for better personalities?

Exactly. As Vixerella put it watching this trailer in 2020: "What game is THIS? I would love to play this game!".
    The game never delivered anything even close to what the trailers promised.

I mean Let us not Forget their marketing,

Smarter Sims, Weirder Stories! The Sims are smart, they just act weird :D:D

On a serious note, the marketing team knows how awful the personality in launch to the point that they created that tagline...
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I wouldn't want to pay $40 for much needed personality and relationship overhauls that should have already been in the BG.

I give them slack for not having time to flesh out the game upon release. But if they're fixing things, those shouldn't end up locked behind expansions.

I'm holding out hope that it'll actually be in a patch.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited October 2020
    honestly i don't mind because they have done that with ts2 and maybe even 3

and i never saw problem with it.
    quite the opposite actually because i felt it was needed part to make expansion packs feel like they expand the game and don't just add stuff and random activities

just wish this isn't another empty halfbaked feature though despite it sounding real cool in theory cause it lowkey sounds like memory system of sorts and I'm all for that

also maybe id be more salty if it was a very niche pack like star wars or something but cause i like this pack overall im happy to get it anyway so im far less salty
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I see many people saying the Sims 2 did this as well, so they don't care.

The difference is that The Sims 2 (and 3) had complex personalities from the beginning. They had wants & fears, memories, favorites, and fleshed out aspirations all in the base game. Relationship were complicated, and there were consequences for misbehaving. With such a solid foundation, they added Attraction and Reputation on later, and no one complained.

However, The Sims 4 started with almost nothing. We got Emotions that make all the sims act the same, traits that barely effect their personality at all, and aspirations that are dull. Whims are still a complete joke. The sims barely react to anything and seem too live inside a bubble. And they advertised the Sims 4 as having weird, smart and complex personalities. In other words, they lied.

Aside from the Parenthood Values and the Reputation system, barely any attempts have been made to fix or make the sims personalities more complex. We've also barely received any new traits or aspirations to the game.

With The Sims 4, we also have "live service." Meaning they should be adding and improving the base game on a regular basis. This should include the sims' personalities.

So again, why should I, as a consumer, who was told that complex personalities should be a part of the base game, pay $40 for this? And why on earth are they in a pack about Snow??
  • Options
    AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    I don’t mind as long as I have the option to disable it in case I decide I don’t like how it works.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited October 2020
    I hope it's a toggle off. I love the sims 4 personalities just how they are and most definitely don't want them to head in a TS2 direction which, the personalities really ruin that game for me. But on the other hand, I love the snow world. If it's something like parenthood or the story progression in Eco lifestyles though, that's somewhat avoidable and actually enjoyable t's not bad at all, I just have to know how it works haha!
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    It sounds super exciting, but at the same time the description was so shallow that I feel its misleading us to believe this is something that its not what we're thinking.
    They may come in a pre-patch for everyone. Need more info.

@simgirl1010 I doubt it, otherwise they wouldn't have added this description as a main selling point of a pack. Like, even Sims 2 had personality add-ons in packs, I'm not angry at it, I jsut want some improvements to my sims.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited October 2020
    People have explained repeatedly why this is different with the Sims 4 then with the previous games. But I guess some people are still fine with it...?
    Well for everyone who doesn't have a problem with it: Don't you dare complain when you have to $20 for a better family tree, or another $40 when you want Favorites, or $10 when you want a Fear emotion. Because this isn't any different.
    We should be holding EA accountable. I wouldn't be surprised if with The Sims 5 you have to pay just to have your sims to have a skill or trait. $10 for the Gloomy trait, another $10 for the Outgoing trait.
    But I guess people just millionaires and have thousands of dollars to spend, alrighty then :*
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited October 2020
    I don’t agree with locking personality changes behind an expansion pack if I’m being honest. It’s something that the sims are in desperate need of in the Sims 4 and I think the improvements should be for everybody to experience.