Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When are you guys going to let players join each others game?

Comments

• Options
    IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    Seera1024 wrote: »

1&2 - You said that the Sims the joiners could use were the Sims in the hosts' world. Not Sims of our own creation.

No, I said sims in the save (created by you or other players) would either be player-locked or up for grabs to control according to the settings/rules set by the host (with the host able to change them later if you’re never coming back), with you unable to grab a sim actively being controlled by someone else at the moment.

As to your playstyle that’s your playstyle and that’s totally okay. But I’ve played games without any grief protection for years with close friends and literally never had a problem. Assuming things would always become dramatic or go south just objectively isn’t true.

And not trusting EA is founded, but that’s on EA. There is no mechanical, technical, or philosophical reason you couldn’t have a well made and robust single player Sims game that also had multiplayer. And we do ourselves a disservice by treating EA’s bad quality as an unavoidable inevitability that we have to negotiate with rather than the entirely avoidable negligence of quality and contempt for players that it actually is.

What makes you think they will do multiplayer the way you're hoping? Because they've made NO mention of that and it won't generate a lot of profit for them. All they've ever talked about is making it competitive and that means playing against strangers and getting as many "friends" (who are really strangers) as possible.

The way I'm handling it is if EA continues not listening to the simming community and insists on making it a competitive multiplayer game, then I'm just taking my money and spend it on better life sim games elsewhere, simple as that!

What makes you think they’d do singleplayer the way you’re hoping? Not all microtransactions or limited play?

I have said: I approve a lack of faith in EA. I do not trust EA. I just think that ire should be properly directed. At EA. Not at viable game features. It is absolutely foolish to think there’s some magic combination of gameplay mechanics and features that would prevent EA from being EA and doing the greedy things they will do. If they can’t squeeze money out at the expense of quality one way, they will find another.

That's the thing. I hold no illusions that they will make TS5 a good singleplayer game. And I already said that if they don't, I'm just taking my money and buying the other life-sim games that are coming out.

You should also hold no illusion that EA will make the game co-op friendly with just a few family and friends, because that won't make any profits for them and that was never their modus operandi when The Sims Online was out.

Also, you don't even have to wait for co-op multiplaying in TS5 when there is already a FREE mod for TS4 (LAN connection is free, but internet play is subscription based). I would much rather that TS4 becomes online than TS5 because TS4 was originally meant to be an online multiplaying game in the first place. Why not enjoy that now instead of waiting for TS5?

Keep TS5 totally offline with just an online exchange or gallery that we can turn off for most of the time.

I don’t hold any illusion that they will make that game. I never implied I thought they would. All I did was explain it wouldn’t be a bad thing. You seem to agree, or you wouldn’t have said “what makes you think they’ll do multiplayer the way you’re hoping?”. That feels like an admission that multiplayer the way I am hoping would be absolutely fine. It would be at worst a neutral thing and probably a good thing if they actually did it well. There is nothing I said to imply I trust them to actually do so. In fact I stated otherwise. You are arguing with air.

I think a thing you’re missing is your fantasy sims game excludes a style of play I want, where as my fantasy sims game doesn’t exclude the style you want at all. Neither game can hurt us, of course, because they exist in our heads. But there’s absolutely nothing about the game I propose that couldn’t also play the way you want it to in theory.

Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Options
    SimsAddict_244SimsAddict_244 Posts: 274 Member
    I will personally never use it, however if they find a way to make it completely optional AND without taking away from the singleplayer experience then I will remain open-minded until we get more concrete information.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @king_of_simcity7 I agree. I think if people want a game where they can play together, they might want to look elsewhere. Sims just isn’t compatible with that kind of play. Only way it works with building would be restricting it to your house only but I wouldn’t join other people.

Sorry for the two month late reply! :D

The Sims was never designed to be multi player. The fundamentals that made the game so successful to begin with was because it was a single player game at that should never change
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I hope never. I don't want anyone else in my game.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    SimzSizzleSimzSizzle Posts: 433 Member
    edited June 2020
    Really hope they don't do this, or if they do, they make it a separate game, for all of the good reasons said in this thread.
    More important to me is the danger to children, and they'd have to change the rating, and the children would lose their game.
    Have been looking forward to Sims 5, but if they do this with no option to play singly, I'll have to pass, and this makes me very sad.
    Think its strange too how even though the titles all come under the umbrella of The Sims, they are all different games.

edit: I have animal crossing and another game where you can play with other people online; they offer codes so you can get in. The codes are plastered all over the web and idk if people can still use them, but those games are on different platforms too. Not a game creator but think this makes a difference.
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    No mulit=player,please. You can bet you can see all sorts of rule-breaking, hacking,griefing,scamming,spamming,online daters,cheaters,cyber-bullying,ec. You'd constantly be seeing people begging for Simoleons, and there would also be the creepy young adults trying to flirt with young kids. Then there'd be all sorts of online problems like crashes,people with lousy internet services,etc. No to mention EA would have to make things bare-bones just so people can play the game on smart phones.

Keep Sims as an offline single-player game,please,EA.

Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2020
    It's becoming clear in this thread that some (not all) who play Animal Crossing or MineCraft never played Maxis' TSO nor Simport in TS3 nor SimCity 2013. Hello, this franchise is published and created by EA/Maxis.. those were Maxis' idea of multiplayers....how'd they work out? If you think they have any better ideas of how to create and maintain and build a successful MP (*with friends) then you didn't play Simport nor SimCity 2013 and are really blind to how they plan to make money and build from those so called successes.

1. The first was nothing but a grindfest and trollville.
    2. The second was nothing but a grindfest and boring let alone couldn't turn off game, pause, nor save your own game during Simport.
    3. The 3rd was a lie about not being able to build a single player (stating it was impossible) only to be proven wrong by modders, smaller worlds and DLC (to the point of ridiculous) because of their server and design of game for maxium amount of milking consumers and lack of vision.

TS5 as a MP wouldn't be a lan game but a server world inhabited by millions who might buy it or rent it, only to be milked for every dime of content to 'level up'. Want a child in the game? Pay X amount of dollars to do that. Have any of you looked at Free Play and TS4 mobile? It's a grind fest for more money. If anyone thinks Maxis knows how to build a MP that would make core fans of a single player game happy, are dreaming of talents they don't have.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    All of what has been said, plus...isn't that what Second Life was? It still exists, last I heard, for those who want to try out the "online multiplayer people simulator" experience. Anyone who hopes for an online multiplayer Sims, go check out Second Life and see what you think of it, then report back?
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    SimzSizzleSimzSizzle Posts: 433 Member
    All of what has been said, plus...isn't that what Second Life was? It still exists, last I heard, for those who want to try out the "online multiplayer people simulator" experience. Anyone who hopes for an online multiplayer Sims, go check out Second Life and see what you think of it, then report back?

Don't like 2nd life, its boring unless you know how to build. Then you can sell your goods to other players, other than that its just hanging around with a chat. It has some good teleporting but that's pretty much it.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    SimzSizzle wrote: »

Don't like 2nd life, its boring unless you know how to build. Then you can sell your goods to other players, other than that its just hanging around with a chat. It has some good teleporting but that's pretty much it.

You just described how I would picture a sims online to be.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    fmilfmil Posts: 175 Member
    I never imagined the game to have a multiplayer but i have been playing some multiplayer games recently and i really like it so i wouldnt mind it if they found a good way to implement it and make it fun. I dont see a reason to be against it if it is totally optional.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    After the spate of posts on Twitter a week or so ago about trolls in ACNH posing as friends in game and raiding and wrecking people’s islands and leaving nasty messages I am more convinced than ever that if Sims 5 were online multiplayer this iteration will not only be my first Sims game, but also my last.
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    # Keep Sims 5 offline. Sims was really never meant to be a multiplayer game in the first place.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    @Lady_Ballora check the link in my signature i created a change.org petition to keep sims5 offline
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I'm totally still against TS5 being online. All those people willing to have it "as long as it's optional" have not learned anything from the flop that is TS4 which was suppose to be online. You WILL NOT get the gameplay and content you want if it is online. Also you're going to get all kinds of creepy people trying to mess up your game and try to expose children to adult themes.

So I have already said that I'm not going to pre-order TS5. I'm waiting until other people I trust - not here on this forum and not game changers - to tell me how it goes. Is there working gameplay and quality content? What kind of gameplay is the multiplayer side all about? How intrusive is the multiplayer side? Right now, when I play TS3, I turn off any online component, including turning Origin offline.

I might even wait until the first two EPs come out (not game or stuff packs - might wait for the first TWO expansion packs to be good) before I buy anything of TS5. For me to buy it earlier, it would have to be AMAZING, to have a fully fleshed basegame unlike TS4's - it can't be bare bones as it was. I really want to be cautious as I was with TS4 because I work hard for my money and I hate getting ripped off!

• Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    I'm totally still against TS5 being online. All those people willing to have it "as long as it's optional" have not learned anything from the flop that is TS4 which was suppose to be online. You WILL NOT get the gameplay and content you want if it is online. Also you're going to get all kinds of creepy people trying to mess up your game and try to expose children to adult themes.

So I have already said that I'm not going to pre-order TS5. I'm waiting until other people I trust - not here on this forum and not game changers - to tell me how it goes. Is there working gameplay and quality content? What kind of gameplay is the multiplayer side all about? How intrusive is the multiplayer side? Right now, when I play TS3, I turn off any online component, including turning Origin offline.

I might even wait until the first two EPs come out (not game or stuff packs - might wait for the first TWO expansion packs to be good) before I buy anything of TS5. For me to buy it earlier, it would have to be AMAZING, to have a fully fleshed basegame unlike TS4's - it can't be bare bones as it was. I really want to be cautious as I was with TS4 because I work hard for my money and I hate getting ripped off!

Oh, I have learned. Which is why I made sure that my optional defined what I mean by optional. The lack of playing any multiplayer portion should not have any affect on my single player game. It shouldn't unlock anything or have any build, buy, or CAS item or career or whatever like that to be exclusive to multiplayer.

I don't trust EA to do that given their past history of multiplayer spanning across multiple franchises.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited June 2020
    Never! It is a single player experience. I don't need to play with others. Adding any multiplayer element ALWAYS takes resources away from making a better single player game.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    I understand an online multiplayer element that includes competitive game play is on the cards for a TS successor, as part of a single player game.
    However, I'm very wary of seeing any kind of MP in The Sims. Active or asynchronous. No matter how big or small.
    Like many commenters stated before, security is my biggest concern. Sharing content through the gallery is grand, but I'd hate to see an economy simulation or interactions between players similar to Second Life, which I never played and thanks to doing some research, never will.
    I'm interested in how this will play out...
  • Options
    SimzSizzle wrote: »

The funny thing to me is most don't know Second Life was never a game. It was intended as an online commerce in a virtual world. I don't know why some came up thinking it was ever a game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    i am also against online play and what players need to ask them selves is this if they did the sims 5 online sims might never age and remain the sims so even do i prefer aging off as a player that the big question you have to ask yourselves if your a family player that loves player legacy story where they move on to the next generation in the family they are playing, so if you went to keep the sims5 offline feel free to click the link in my signature to keep the sims5 offline and keep the sims game the way we like it single play and offline
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    eternaleebeternaleeb Posts: 7 New Member
    > @AlexaKry said:
    > Never, I hope!
    > I would never allow somebody else to play in MY town or with MY Sims! I couldn´t even imagine how awkward it would be for me if somebody changes even the slightes bit of anything I´ve build in MY game!
    > You would never know with whom you play and what this person has in mind with the Sims. We can play nearly every scenario we want in our games and having somebody in my game who has a different idea of what the Sims should do.... Nope!
    > And if you search for people who hide behind an avatar and "play with life", well, then play Second Life or it´s equally unsuccessfully successor Sansar. Play this games and you´ll see what The Sims will become if they were online. But prepare for the scum who runs havoc in this games!
    >
    > If Sims 5 will be online I would even happily play The Sims 4 if I can´t play The Sims 3 anymore when it is unplayable on new computers.

---I think it would be similar to The Sims Mobile where you can help other towns, or visit others' homes, but not be able to alter them. They would play their own sims but would be able to visit their friends' towns and such via invitation. I don't think it would be mass multiplayer.
  • Options
    eternaleeb wrote: »
    > @AlexaKry said:
    > Never, I hope!
    > I would never allow somebody else to play in MY town or with MY Sims! I couldn´t even imagine how awkward it would be for me if somebody changes even the slightes bit of anything I´ve build in MY game!
    > You would never know with whom you play and what this person has in mind with the Sims. We can play nearly every scenario we want in our games and having somebody in my game who has a different idea of what the Sims should do.... Nope!
    > And if you search for people who hide behind an avatar and "play with life", well, then play Second Life or it´s equally unsuccessfully successor Sansar. Play this games and you´ll see what The Sims will become if they were online. But prepare for the scum who runs havoc in this games!
    >
    > If Sims 5 will be online I would even happily play The Sims 4 if I can´t play The Sims 3 anymore when it is unplayable on new computers.

---I think it would be similar to The Sims Mobile where you can help other towns, or visit others' homes, but not be able to alter them. They would play their own sims but would be able to visit their friends' towns and such via invitation. I don't think it would be mass multiplayer.

I think it would have to be more than that or it wouldn't pay for the servers. If very few were doing that then the server costs would be too high to keep a feature like that open for a Triple A game. Sims Mobile can do it because their money is made my microtransactions. Charging for a recolor.
  • Options
    AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    eternaleeb wrote: »
    > @AlexaKry said:
    > Never, I hope!
    >

I think it would have to be more than that or it wouldn't pay for the servers. If very few were doing that then the server costs would be too high to keep a feature like that open for a Triple A game. Sims Mobile can do it because their money is made my microtransactions. Charging for a recolor.

Yes, you´re right, @Cinebar , the costs for the servers have to pay itselves.
    But to think that this online feature just let´s you visit other´s towns or families is a bit naive, I think. If EA/Maxis follow the loudest calls of the fans who want that online features, then this online game will be a social game at its best. Just look at the title of this thread! This loudest players want to play together, they want to get into the games of the others, they want to socialize in their games with each other!
    And EA/Maxis tend to follow this loudest calls!
    It´s nothing the majority want´s, but I think that the Sims5 (if there will be one) will be online only, with microtransactions, lootboxes and socializing at it´s worst.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Maybe they could make an online world where people would pay an additional fee to join with their sims and socialize. But the main game would be kept offline and single player. In the online world people would be able to build their own lot, it could be a residential lot, or a cafe, spa, restaurant, nightclub, ect. Business type lots could be run with the help of robots so you don't need to "hire" other people unless you want to. People could vote on your decoration/lot design and they could download it into their game if they liked it well enough, like they do with the gallery, but with better visualization of the lot.
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    I understand an online multiplayer element that includes competitive game play is on the cards for a TS successor, as part of a single player game.

I hope you are wrong. There are so many games out there for players who want a competitive game. Turning Sims into a competitive game would alienate a lot of their customer base. Simmers are a unique lot and for many, including me, their motto is "I'm a simmer, not a gamer." So I hope they are listening to the majority and the squeaky wheel doesn't get the grease in this instance. :)