Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA CEO on TS4: FY2020 will be the biggest year in terms of content release

Comments

• Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    edited August 2019
    i would like to 'feel' it.

enhanced-26298-1432220843-2.jpg
    y'all got bread?
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited August 2019
    @elelunicy wrote: »
    And once again, all that money will surely not be invested in The Sims!

They invest more in the game than most people seem to think :D A lot of people are shocked to find out EA has like 200 people working on TS4.

From "several hundred" to 200 developers I guess the investment was decreased.

I would add BioWare Edmonton gets about 630 employees.

• Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    I forgot The Sims's 20th anniversary is also in this fiscal year. Lyndsay was already hyping it up a couple months ago on one of the live streams so I wonder what kind of free content they have in store for us. Must be something big o:)
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    I forgot The Sims's 20th anniversary is also in this fiscal year. Lyndsay was already hyping it up a couple months ago on one of the live streams so I wonder what kind of free content they have in store for us. Must be something big o:)
    How many times did they hype something up and ended up disappointing so many people? Don't get your hopes up because they certainly don't learn from their mistakes.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    How many times did they hype something up and ended up disappointing so many people? Don't get your hopes up because they certainly don't learn from their mistakes.

Exactly, they're hyped for a white shelf, me I need cars or something else to be hyped.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    The fiscal year is almost over. Don't know how they could say that. What did we get since April? And we know there will be that stuff pack no one really wants, (maybe a few) if given a choice people would have voted a different stuff pack, I'm sure of that, then possibly ROM by Nov. and then one more they promised recently (EP) by March of next year and what was free since April 2019? I can't even remember anything other than Pride content which they hyped to the max. If they mean that Amazon thing to hear Sim music..uh no, not exciting at all. It hasn't been that exciting.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    "Terms of Content Release"???? Yeah, that explains why they gave the base away for free! They had to meet them terms.

I am curious how many of those 7 million that snatched the free base, actually continue to play it? It was filled with bugs which would make me not touch it again. If your gonna try to draw in players, at least make sure they can play the game (my daughters got it free and never touched it again because of the bugs). But that doesn't matter.....they got it....so it counts...I guess :o
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    The fiscal year is almost over. Don't know how they could say that. What did we get since April? And we know there will be that stuff pack no one really wants, (maybe a few) if given a choice people would have voted a different stuff pack, I'm sure of that, then possibly ROM by Nov. and then one more they promised recently (EP) by March of next year and what was free since April 2019? I can't even remember anything other than Pride content which they hyped to the max. If they mean that Amazon thing to hear Sim music..uh no, not exciting at all. It hasn't been that exciting.

No it’s not. We are in Q2 of FY20. We have a long way to go until March 31.
  • Options
    LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member

Exactly, a fiscal year always runs from 1st April to 31st March. We are coming towards the end of the 2nd quarter, which is how they are usually broken down.

In April we were told the 3 new additions to TS4 would be in the next six months from then, that means, unless they break what they said, RoM will be released no later than 30th September, October is the beginning of the 3rd quarter.

BTW, the 3rd quarter is usually the most profitable as far as many country's economy is concerned, because it contains the major spending holidays right at the end of it in December. In TS4 we have often had an EP during this period.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    kayt45 wrote: »
    Nope, it sounds like the game is still bringing in new consumers and expanding somewhat. They won’t get rid of it anytime soon.
    Perhaps that 2020 will be the last full year of content as something even bigger might be arriving the year after? :wink:

They have already said that it will last a few more years and maybe then some. Game doesn't have 1/3 of what Sims3 had including the store. I'm a Sims3 fan myself, but there are several things I like better in 4. Improvements & content. I will say that I am more interested in playing Sims4 now that there are options for gameplay. I don't consider going to the bar and parties gameplay. There are so many ways to expand such as infants, farming, education- preschool- college, magical animals, different cultures, many more jobs and stores we don't have available, weddings, grim, Goth, Atlantis, cloudland-ghosts-funerals ECT, and more off grid stuff. There are magic stuff that won't be in the magic GP and do many other things simmers want. I would one day like an open world game, but don't see it coming soon and that might not be a bad thing. I don't want new games that aren't fleshed out, because that could mean that they could end Sims5 without it being complete and I don't want to start that precident when they did a pretty good job fleshing out Sims3. For me, it was missing farm animals and hammocks.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

But we already know what we are getting. The stuff pack in Aug. the ROM in the fall. That takes care of two of the things promised for this fiscal year. Then one more EP (I think they said EP) before March. My point was no, it's not been that exciting looking at what they have planned (before March) and what we just got, IL and something else but can't even remember what that something else was this past April.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited August 2019

But we already know what we are getting. The stuff pack in Aug. the ROM in the fall. That takes care of two of the things promised for this fiscal year. Then one more EP (I think they said EP) before March. My point was no, it's not been that exciting looking at what they have planned (before March) and what we just got, IL and something else but can't even remember what that something else was this past April.

Everything so far announced is this stuff pack and the magic pack sometime after that. (And we also got the Island Living EP in this fiscal year.) There's almost 8 months between now and March 31. Packs have never been announced that far ahead. Lots more can be coming still.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

Everything so far announced is this stuff pack and the magic pack sometime after that. (And we also got the Island Living EP in this fiscal year.) There's almost 8 months between now and March 31. Packs have never been announced that far ahead. Lots more can be coming still.

I don't see it. I just know what Lyndsay said would come out for the next six months, and two of those are here, IL, and the stuff pack, and a GP and then the other day she said an EP. Well, doesn't that cover this year? That's six months and on into next year up to March so I'm not seeing anymore packs are going to come out more than what she has already said. Maybe content updates, but I just don't see them releasing more packs more than the four they had already announced for this fiscal year.
  • Options
    SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    "2020 will be the biggest year in terms of content release"

RIP wallet.
  • Options
    joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    The number of packs we got in previous fiscal years:

FY2015: 1 expansion pack, 1 game pack
    FY2016: 1 expansion pack, 1 game pack, 6 stuff packs
    FY2017: 1 expansion pack, 2 game packs, 4 stuff packs
    FY2018: 1 expansion pack, 2 game packs, 4 stuff packs
    FY2019: 2 expansion packs, 1 game pack

I'm predicting in FY2020 we'll get 2 expansion packs (Island Lving and EP8 in November), 2 game packs (Realm of Magic and GP9 early next year), and at least 1 stuff pack (Moschino Stuff). This is easily the most content we've gotten in a year.

I like and approve of your prediction!!!
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited August 2019

I don't see it. I just know what Lyndsay said would come out for the next six months, and two of those are here, IL, and the stuff pack, and a GP and then the other day she said an EP. Well, doesn't that cover this year? That's six months and on into next year up to March so I'm not seeing anymore packs are going to come out more than what she has already said. Maybe content updates, but I just don't see them releasing more packs more than the four they had already announced for this fiscal year.

You really think we won't get any more packs from October to April? A full six months with no packs??? We'll probably even get another expansion in December.

By the way, the six month period Lyndsay spoke of ends in October. So we have no idea what's coming after that.
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member

potential content releases since its not just dlc included: stuff pack in august, realm of magic in october. we're probably getting a content update for the 5th anniversary either in september or before the expansion is released in november (which most likely will happen for christmas sales). or we could have a 5th anniversary update in september AND another update before the expansion. then we get the free holiday content release. that leaves room for either another stuff pack and a gamepack, plus another large update for the sims 20th anniversary before this quarter ends.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited August 2019

The six months from when we were first told about 3 packs in 6 months ends in September. The fiscal year ends at the end of March, not December. It's the fiscal year to which the topic title refers. Even within the calendar year, there's space for more.

EDIT: what they said :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    edited August 2019
    This is what Graham tweeted on April 9th.

So the releases he spoke of will happen before October 9th.

We then have an additional 2 months until the end of the year and an additional 5 months remaining in the fiscal year.

EA Fiscal Year
    Q1: April 1 to June 30 (2019)
    Q2: July 1 to September 31 (2019)
    Q3: October 1 to December 31 (2019)
    Q4: January 1 to March 31 (2020)

• Options
    SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    Are these a stuff and game pack aside from Moschino and Realm of Magic?
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    Perhaps that 2020 will be the last full year of content as something even bigger might be arriving the year after? :wink:

Unlikely since when the rebranding of TS4 happened, if memory serves, SimGuruDrake said that it was to represent TS4 being around for more years to come. (which makes me wonder where people got the whole "3 years" thing from...)

I doubt development for TS4 is stopping anytime soon.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Unlikely since when the rebranding of TS4 happened, if memory serves, SimGuruDrake said that it was to represent TS4 being around for more years to come. (which makes me wonder where people got the whole "3 years" thing from...)

From the senior producer, Grant. He said the game was green lit for 3 more years of content. It’s not some arbitrary player created number he said exactly that.

As for development stopping anytime soon, no we have been told 3 years at least. It’s not like changing the cover art is going to extend the shelf life of this game, it’s just to try and sell more copies by making people who didn’t buy Sims 4 with the old cover think it’s somehow different. Rebrands are a last ditch effort to squeeze money out of a product. I’ve never seen a popular, well selling product get a refreshed image mid-cycle unless it’s profit is quickly deteriorating.
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    We‘ll get EP8, which will be University, this year in November.

Then we‘ll get EP9 which will be Farming in April of 2020. This means we‘ll get 3 EPs this fiscal year, which would make it the biggest yet.
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    rras1994rras1994 Posts: 47 Member

From the senior producer, Grant. He said the game was green lit for 3 more years of content. It’s not some arbitrary player created number he said exactly that.

As for development stopping anytime soon, no we have been told 3 years at least. It’s not like changing the cover art is going to extend the shelf life of this game, it’s just to try and sell more copies by making people who didn’t buy Sims 4 with the old cover think it’s somehow different. Rebrands are a last ditch effort to squeeze money out of a product. I’ve never seen a popular, well selling product get a refreshed image mid-cycle unless it’s profit is quickly deteriorating.

Not really true, for another EA example, SWTOR got a big rebrand refresh for the Kingts of the Fallen Empire expansion, more money got put into it, they made an expensive Blur trailer and put it at E3 (unusual to do for what was a 4 year old game at the time) so a big marketing push as the game was doing well and for the expansion before that did $20 million over estimates. The game then went over the $1 billion lifetime revenue mark in 2015. So EA has before taken a game which was earning weel and given them a new marketing push and more money because they could see the potential for more money.

• Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member

sims 4 is the opposite, they got a 55% increase on dlc alone and playerbase has grown. giving it out for free for a week worked in their favor, this re-branding is totally just for a refresh since the old base game art was outdated (before this was even announced to be a thing i felt like they might do something like this for their 5 year anniversary. turned out a little sooned) while we carry on for a few more years.

even in that simguru livestream they said that mortimer's outfit is a little outdated, which yeah it is. a lot of this outfits were created from 2009-2012 and fashion has changed quite a lot. this refresh was so needed, the sims look like they belong in 2019 now