Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I discovered something very important a little too late

LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
First I just want to say this only involves Mermaids and the Conservationist Career. I'll put this in a spoiler so not to mess anything up for someone who accidentally clicked on this.
If you are playing a mermaid do not go into the Marine Biologist branch of this career, but rather the Environmental Manager Career Branch. The reason I say this is because every level in the Marine Biologist Branch requires your sim to Survey Ocean Wildlife to get to the next promotion. The problem with mermaids is you will run into this -

65130541_1299484300201862_6361682146968469504_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQmdFZ_k2Fq6mxZFmQfcnrHVt2sL9T2asXJ_9qyk-pVbgxShX3M0LRdXj1-ebfhPf9SsXsMO_P8Zv3WA6pQfUkxn&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=5c7ded551d291a80aa799fd2a0ef5ca3&oe=5D79BDDD

There is another type buoy, but when you click on it, it will tell you that there are no fish, go to shallow water to scuba dive.

Comments

• Options
    WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    edited June 2019
    Ugh. See, things like this, this is why I use so many cheats, this is why I rely so much on MCCC, because so many aspects of this game are so inherently broken that they require some sort of intervention just to work properly. Here's hoping this gets patched soon, I get that they can't use snorkles, but they have gills, right? Why not just, swim around and chat up some marine life? :/
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    I actually find that pretty hilarious and get the joke. It's the same if they're not in that career.

I can see the problem with that though unless there's another way to survey ocean life without that particular way I haven't found.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    TyrircKidTyrircKid Posts: 52 Member
    noticed this too with my sim.. though for me my mermaids also sometimes swim like normal sims especially when collecting drifting trash from the ocean.. oh and my sim children can't get into bathtubs the right way anymore..
  • Options
    aabroadyaabroady Posts: 59 Member
    Thanks. I'm glad I know this before my Conservationist Career mermaid has to choose which branch of the field she wants to continue pursuing. Environmental Manager it is, even though I had planned for her to be a Marine Biologist. Guess I'll have to go that route with a different Sim.
    tumblr_inline_pthe8zHeJT1rorsjo_1280.png
    Gallery ID: aabroady
  • Options
    agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member
    I know it’s a bug and I don’t even like TS4 that much compared to 2 and 3, but this is kinda funny storytelling. It’s like your sim has a dream career but has to struggle with who she is and it’s holding her back at work
  • Options
    Rhiannon1307Rhiannon1307 Posts: 147 Member
    Good thing I didn't give my merman a career yet. The marine biologist would have been the first thing to come to mind.
  • Options
    rambahadoerrambahadoer Posts: 405 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    I actually find that pretty hilarious and get the joke. It's the same if they're not in that career.

I can see the problem with that though unless there's another way to survey ocean life without that particular way I haven't found.

Please tell hahaga i don’t get it
  • Options
    PhotogSimPhotogSim Posts: 1,729 Member
    You do not NEED to suvery the ocean wildlife to get promoted. It is just a daily task to increase the performance bar each day. The promotion items are skills only.

My mermaid is a marine biologist and get promoted just fine without surveying.
  • Options
    navystylznavystylz Posts: 7 New Member
    > @LaBlue0314 said:
    > First I just want to say this only involves Mermaids and the Conservationist Career. I'll put this in a spoiler so not to mess anything up for someone who accidentally clicked on this.
    > (Spoiler)

Thanks. I had planned on becoming a Marine Biologist on my mer. Now I don't even want to play the pack. It's so broken it's ridiculous. Even for an EA game. It's like developers just don't give af anymore.

1. Mers can't use ladders to get back out of the water. So having these on the water homes with water access it completely wasted on the occult state that should benefit it the most.
    2. Can't even dive in this version of Islands. 3 had it's issues, but seriously not even a hidden lot?
    3. Mer can't be Marine Biologists ...
    4. The powers are lackluster and waste of time. Drowning a sim does nothing.
    5. All the other bugs not even mer related.
    6. Mer can drown?!?
    7. My normal sim (granted vampire with max fitness) was swimming faster than my mer.
    8. Fish issues as mer/child of the sea. Really? Mer can't eat fish.

Seriously what is the point of even being a mer in this pack except to make the pack as obnoxious as you can? Looks like gotta wait for modders to fix the myriad of issues in this pack before it's even playable.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member

Please tell hahaga i don’t get it

I mean you snorkel to be looking at fish underwater right? I guess for mermaids that's the equivalent of 'peeping' on fish since mermaids are part fish. So yeah. :p

5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    I discovered this too late as well. It’s annoying. Even so, my mermaid has managed to get to level 10 of the marine biologist branch.
  • Options
    MadstarletMadstarlet Posts: 53 Member
    navystylz wrote: »
    > @LaBlue0314 said:
    > First I just want to say this only involves Mermaids and the Conservationist Career. I'll put this in a spoiler so not to mess anything up for someone who accidentally clicked on this.
    > (Spoiler)

Thanks. I had planned on becoming a Marine Biologist on my mer. Now I don't even want to play the pack. It's so broken it's ridiculous. Even for an EA game. It's like developers just don't give plum anymore.

1. Mers can't use ladders to get back out of the water. So having these on the water homes with water access it completely wasted on the occult state that should benefit it the most.
    2. Can't even dive in this version of Islands. 3 had it's issues, but seriously not even a hidden lot?
    6. Mer can drown?!?
    7. My normal sim (granted vampire with max fitness) was swimming faster than my mer.

Seriously what is the point of even being a mer in this pack except to make the pack as obnoxious as you can? Looks like gotta wait for modders to fix the myriad of issues in this pack before it's even playable.

I think mermaids not being able to eat fish is on purpose. Mermaids are part fish, so it would be cannibalistic for them.
    Follow the creation of the new Sims 4 Web Series Wayward Plumbobs by becoming a patron: patreon.com/waywardplumbobs.com
  • Options
    BloodValkyrieBloodValkyrie Posts: 232 Member
    edited June 2019
    Madstarlet wrote: »
    > @LaBlue0314 said:
    > (Spoiler)

Thanks. I had planned on becoming a Marine Biologist on my mer. Now I don't even want to play the pack. It's so broken it's ridiculous. Even for an EA game. It's like developers just don't give plum anymore.

6. Mer can drown?!?

I think mermaids not being able to eat fish is on purpose. Mermaids are part fish, so it would be cannibalistic for them.

Fish eat other fish all the time. And a merperson needs protein. I see no issue with merpeople eating any edible sea creature. Also, spiders eat other spiders, both in and out of their species. I know spiders are unrelated, but I'm trying to say that having similarities with one creature doesn't mean you shouldn't eat it.
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited June 2019
    Isn't it just those sims with the Child of the Sea trait that don't like to eat fish? Couldn't a mermaid without that trait like to eat fish? I don't mind that quality actually because it is nice for some sims to have limitations. They should be able to eat seaweed or kelp while in the ocean though so as to fill their needs easily, and they should never get cold or drown.
  • Options
    EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    To be fair, I think everybody with the 'child of the sea' trait has trouble eating fish or gets uncomfortable going fishing. If there's not a moodlet that says "fish are friends, not food" I'm going to be disappointed. That said, I really hope they patch it so that mermaids can snorkel even without snorkel equipment. Even if it's only to do the survey thing.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • Options
    MadstarletMadstarlet Posts: 53 Member
    > @LaBlue0314 said:
    > (Spoiler)

6. Mer can drown?!?

Fish eat other fish all the time. And a merperson needs protein. I see no issue with merpeople eating any edible sea creature. Also, spiders eat other spiders, both in and out of their species. I know spiders are unrelated, but I'm trying to say that having similarities with one creature doesn't mean you shouldn't eat it.

I think it's kind of a respect/cannibalistic thing. I feel like it's as if mermaids respect aquatic life too much to eat them. It's like eating their brothers and sisters, not just a straight species thing, especially if they are a "child of the sea". Just a guess though.
    Follow the creation of the new Sims 4 Web Series Wayward Plumbobs by becoming a patron: patreon.com/waywardplumbobs.com
  • Options
    BOYBOY Posts: 540 Member
    mermaids don't get a negative moodlet from eating fish unless they have that trait. also the shark teeth tell me they'd probably be eating more than kelp lol.
    Fairies & real Plantsims please!
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    All I can say right now is this: :D
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Wait, what? Wasn't it said somewhere that mermaids have a special power to lure in fish and make it easier to catch them? What's the point of that then, if they can't even eat their catch?

I don't have the pack myself, so can someone confirm that mermaids really can't eat fish?
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Yeah, my merman sim had the child of the ocean trait, so it coincided with his sorrow to eat or mount fish :D

I still think it's a bizarre choice to ban merfolk from snorkeling though
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    Just tested it, merfolk who don't have the Child of the Ocean trait can catch, cook, and enjoy eating fish with no negative effects.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    > @LaBlue0314 said:
    > (Spoiler)

6. Mer can drown?!?

I think it's kind of a respect/cannibalistic thing. I feel like it's as if mermaids respect aquatic life too much to eat them. It's like eating their brothers and sisters, not just a straight species thing, especially if they are a "child of the sea". Just a guess though.

I'm planning to give my first mermaid the Vegetarian trait anyway, and my first conservationist is a human Sim (got a couple of different storylines in mind for her) so she can go the Ocean Conservationist route. I think that's funny though -- is there some sort of double or triple entendre regarding "snorkeling"? Maybe they can add an interaction that's mermaid-specific regarding the ocean surveying...
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Isn't it just those sims with the Child of the Sea trait that don't like to eat fish? Couldn't a mermaid without that trait like to eat fish? I don't mind that quality actually because it is nice for some sims to have limitations. They should be able to eat seaweed or kelp while in the ocean though so as to fill their needs easily, and they should never get cold or drown.
    I don't think plankton count as fish so they could eat that while swimming, similar to some whales.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    GGgkkg wrote: »
    Ugh. See, things like this, this is why I use so many cheats, this is why I rely so much on MCCC, because so many aspects of this game are so inherently broken that they require some sort of intervention just to work properly. Here's hoping this gets patched soon, I get that they can't use snorkles, but they have gills, right? Why not just, swim around and chat up some marine life? :/

Not broke - apparently designed like this - as they mentioned this all in yesterdays Q & A - mer maids shouldn't be conversationalists any way

Vut this was not a secret and they came right out and told us so obviously a design choice.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    PhotogSim wrote: »
    You do not NEED to suvery the ocean wildlife to get promoted. It is just a daily task to increase the performance bar each day. The promotion items are skills only.

My mermaid is a marine biologist and get promoted just fine without surveying.

Exactly the Guru's said it.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....