Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Happy Holidays Gift Exchange ~ CLOSED

Comments

• Options
    MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    @Mystik1978 : Oh, pretty pictures! I love how festive everything looks in them. I'm so envious; I can never do my house up like that because cats. Any tinsel or ribbons or danglies that go up are down within a day or two and scattered all over the floor. The cats figure we put them up as toys for them. Well, that's what they're for, right? :)

The most I can get festive is in my Sims games. Because of that, I tend to go over the top... more than a little. But I'm the only one who sees it, so I don't have to care about what others think of it. :p.

I *love* looking at pictures of holiday decorations. So pretty!
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Mystik1978 wrote: »
    I do have a question for any who can answer - I haven't played Sims 3 in ages so it never got reinstalled on my computer after the Dell tech put in a new motherboard. So I have to reinstall all my store stuff again. I know there are ways to help with saving your store stuff so you do not loss it or so it is easier to add but I can't remember where I seen the tips on how to do it. Does anyone know?

Sims files are finicky, so I'm not sure if you can just copy in your old files or if you will have to reinstall the store stuff. If you installed your stuff all on discs or all DL before and you do the same this time, you might just need to copy over the files from your old dccache folder to the new one. Then, you copy over the ccmerged file from you old dcbackup folder. If you have cc installed through the launcher (rather than package files) that you want to carry over in an upload, then those dcbackup files need to be copied over as well. Also, store content that are venues will have files in the library folder and world content is installed in the installedWorlds folder. If you are on the old patch 1.67 and running all on discs, then you need the contentPatch.package carried over from that folder as well. The userPresets file is another one that can copy over. It has all the CASt stencils you might have saved. You might also get lucky and have your saves copy over and play, but they can be finicky too. Keep them though. If you can't get a save to open, you can always save a game in that same world and then copy over the .nhd file and, if they travelled, then the travel files as well.

There are places that explain what all the folders and files have in them, like Crinrict's or ModtheSims.info. Here's a link to Crinrict's:
    https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

If you do have to reinstall your store stuff, I do have a thread and a spreadsheet to help with that. Just click the store install link in my siggie.

• Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    It's snowing here today! I don't mean flurries, I mean like several inches on the ground and coming down pretty hard, which is unusual here for mid-November. The forecast is for 4-8 inches. The leaves fell late this year, and I was just thinking yesterday that I'd better get the leaves in the front yard raked up when we had a nice day. Definitely not today - you can't even see any leaves. :D

I'm building, um, somewhere warm, so it's strange when I look out the window and see where I really am!
    - - - -

Re. the reinstalling store downloads: my recent experiences with it were that I couldn't reuse my old files/downloads. I used to be able to just plunk in my saved dccache folder (maybe that was just on new hard drive on same computer - not sure), but no more. I couldn't even place the download files I had saved into the launcher and reinstall and had to, in fact, re-download everything from the store. With a new computer, I had to migrate to Origin and patch 1.69 because my expansions/packs were a mix of disc and download. If on all disc, maybe you can still use your old files?
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    I think it's any change that triggers the anti-theft coding for the store content. So, if you had a mix of everything like digital downloads and discs, but then went all digital when you reinstalled, that might trigger the coding and keep the store content from reinstalling or showing up. If however, you just upgraded your computer software, like to windows 10, then it isn't a problem as the games still all look the same.

Brrrrr! We've had freezing temps, ice and frost, and even had really wet light snow flurries that you could see on the windshield, all of which are really unusual for us here. Global warming with crazy hot temps in the summer and crazy cold temps in the winter... buy stock in portable heaters?!

Progress is going well, I think, on my current project. I hope you all are careful with your hammers and that all fingers and thumbs stay safe!
  • Options
    equuestequuest Posts: 718 Member
    edited November 2018
    We had an ice storm here today. Ice is covering everything and anything, and of course snow to go with that. Unfortunately, school is getting in the way of simming time! But I have started my project, and I like where it's going so far! :)
  • Options
    Awesome on your project progress, but yuck! about the ice storm @equuest!
  • Options
    According to NOAA, we had 10 inches of snow yesterday. This is after a couple years of when you saw snow in the forecast, you said "I'll believe it when I see it" because it often missed us entirely or dropped only a little bit. I'm a believer right now. :D You know what I saw on top of the snow this morning?! Leaves. I went out with the dogs and at first wondered how they got on top of what's a very heavy, wet snow today, and then I realized it's because they're still falling.

On the sims front, it's busy, busy, busy here. Perfect weather to stay in the house in front of the computer with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    Mystik1978Mystik1978 Posts: 1,613 Member
    We got hammered here in the mountains of West Virginia! NOAA said 2 to 5 inches then changed to 5 to 10 within a few hours. In the end we got about a foot of snow! My step-father and son spent hours shoveling out our long --- (up hill) driveway just so they could get out! I can not wait until next year! We are selling the land and moving to FL, new start and all of that! My daughter and I really need a new start - nothing but bad memories and pain here! Also, helps that I hate snow! I use to love it but the past few years have made me really dislike the white stuff!

@MiaSkywalker You made my laugh out loud at your kitties and decorations mine always felt that way too!

250524-1152x864-1024x768.jpg

Here are some tips to help save your tree from your fur-babies!

Here are 10 tips to try and save your sanity this holiday season:

Wrap some tin foil around the trunk of tree to repel your cat. Cats don’t like the the feeling of tin foil or the sound and will often run away.

Spray the tree and some of the decorations with citronella spray. The smell repels cats but may also repel you so use it sparingly.

Place a floor runner under the stand of the tree upside down. The little bumps feel weird to cats and they tend to stay away from the texture.

Place ornaments that are sentimental or more expensive higher up on the tree with strong hooks so your cat won’t knock those one off as easily.
    Consider placing the tree on an elevated stand if it’s short using a milk carton or box.

Secure your tree using fishing line and some hooks placed in the wall or ceiling.

Orange peels that are laid around the base of the tree will repel your cat. Cats do not like citrus and will stay away from anything that has that scent. Remember to throw them out when they are dried up and old.

Double-sided tape placed around the base will repel your cat when they step on it and it’ll keep them from coming near the tree again.

If you’re able to supervise, keep a squirt bottle nearby and spray your cat if he tries to scratch or climb the tree or play with the ornaments. To a cat, a decorated tree is like a gigantic toy!

If all else fails, get a big big dog and tie him to the tree as your personal Christmas tree bodyguard. Problem is, you may have a tree that is then covered in dog pee. **

**We don’t really advocate tying dogs to trees, indoor or outdoor.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Are you a stuffing or a dressing person?
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/these-5-states-prefer-the-word-‘dressing’-over-‘stuffing’-says-survey/ar-BBPMJsy?ocid=spartandhp

We always say stuffing, but technically, I guess we've been making dressing for a few years because we gave up stuffing the stuffing in the turkey and bake it separately, sometimes in foil pouches around the turkey pan (not in the pan).

Edited to add: I tried to fix that link and can't. I think the apostrophe before the word dressing is messing it up. You can cut and paste it or use go to, though, and it works.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    One of the best pet pictures we have is of a cat we once had sitting about 1-2 feet from the top of the last real Christmas tree we had. He was a beautiful cat my son found out in the woods and thought he was feral (he wasn't) or had gotten lost. I think the reality is he was a cat with more than one home who loved to go out in the woods. We don't leave our cats out, but there was no way to keep him in unless you also never went out, so he would come and go, being here one week and somewhere else the next. He fell once from a tree outside and got badly hurt but recovered with the help of our vet. Anyway, the tree climber was the last of several cats that wrecked havoc on Christmas trees, and since space was tight here anyway, it seemed like a good idea to do something different. Before him, we had two lovely black, long-haired cats that chewed the Christmas tree lights - yes really. Apparently they didn't hurt themselves because one lived to 18 and the other 19.

My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    @Mystik1978 : Well, here's the thing - several of us are allergic to pine, so we've always had a fake tree. It was a pretty small tree, so we kept it up all year round and kept it in the corner of the living room. We used the same one for decades, and our previous cats left it alone. But these two ran up and down the trunk of it when they were kittens and completely ruined it. It was probably ready to go; after all, we had owned it for about fifty years at that point. (We didn't exactly scold them for it, because they were so cute and adorable, that as far as we were concerned they could do no wrong. Isn't that always the case with kittens?)

So the following Christmas I got some new LED lights that could switch to different colors and different kinds of blinks (or no blinks), and wrapped it around this large pillar lamp that we have in the living room, and we decided to call that our tree. It was such a pain to put the lights up (I'm disabled, and getting around things is difficult for me) that I refused to take them down again, and now my mother uses them (set to white non-blinking) to enhance her lighting when she makes jewelry.

It also means that when one of us is in the mood for pretty lights, we can turn them on at any time of the year. :) Because they're LED, they don't use up much power, either.

Of course, we can't really decorate it; there's no place to hang ornaments on a pillar lamp. For a while I tried wrapping fake pine or tinsel around our banisters and hanging pretty ornaments from those, and that's how I discovered that my cats viewed those as cat toys. :) I can't keep them looking pristine for more than a day or two, before they begin shredding the garlands and knocking the ornaments off. They both do it, but our little Diva cat is the main culprit. She will play with ANYTHING that dangles in front of her, including my hair. (I really wish the Sims had a diva trait for pets, because that trait defines her. She's the center of the universe, and she KNOWS it!) But you know, how can we scold them, when they're just so cute?

@suzses: It sounds like that cat has it made, with two families who love him. Sometimes it's easy to think that a stray is a feral, when they're really quite different. A stray will still want to be with humans; a feral absolutely won't. While some ferals can be socialized eventually, it's usually an extremely difficult process, and there are some that can never be. If you find a cat that socializes easily, chances are pretty good that it's either a stray, or someone owns it. One of our cats we're pretty sure had been a feral initially, but since the humane society got her as a kitten, she's pretty socialized. But she does have some traits of a feral, so we're fairly certain her mother had been feral and had taught her those traits.

It's scary when a pet chews on lights like that. Not just because the plastic can potentially poison them, but because it's easy to fear that they will get electrocuted. One of my cats gets so excited while I pet her that she chews on things; when she's in my study and starts to go for computer wires, I always have to pull her back.
  • Options
    Wow! A foot of snow! I'll just be glad that it was only freezing here!

Project work is progressing nicely. Am I the only one who furnishes a house before putting the wallpaper on the wall?

• Options
    cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    @ciane I do it too! depending on the project of course. I like to pick out the items for a room first and recolor them than choose the wallpaper

project work is coming along was busy with *mumble mumble* than got an idea for *mumble mumble* than my muse threw another idea at me so we shall see what becomes of *mumble mumble* :D
  • Options
    Well, I was really happy until I started CASting. Oh my! We'll have to see what paths I take tomorrow. Today I am done.
  • Options
    scorpiophoenixscorpiophoenix Posts: 2,289 Member
    Does a run by waving. Nice to see the gifting exchanges are still going on.
  • Options
    *shakes her pom pom*

*waves back to Scorpiophoenix*

Today your friendly festive cheerleader brings you some nice tips and tricks for building by Deligracy. Delly is one of my favorite Youtube Simmers - this little video is only about 12 minutes long but has great tips in it. While I am sure many of you know these tips maybe it might be a refresher for you or something.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4OAH-ecCFY4
  • Options
    BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,910 Member
    Just checking in to let you know my super secret gifts are being made! ;):)<3
  • Options
    cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    Can I check-in early or is it too early to check-in early? :lol:
  • Options
    @ciane Thanks for the information on reinstalling stuff. I am working on expansion packs off disks right now. I connect to the net via my phones hotspot so anything I can do that does not require "internet downloading" all the better. I guess I do need to at least save a copy of all of my store files in case the time comes they take it down. I know I never copied my Sims 2 store stuff and I don't think I can access that stuff anymore. Plus I do have some of the "special store" items like a few of the Dr. Pepper stuff, Ect.

@MiaSkywalker I could not agree more about a Diva cat trait - my mother had a cat named Jasmine, or Jazzy as I called her. She was a
    queen" it is like she knew once upon a time people worshiped cats and she wanted the world to go back to that and worship the goddess that she was. My mother was heartbroken when she got out one year (she was 10 at the time) the a--hat neighbors shot and killed her "for being in their yard" Jaz was normally a inside cat - my mom got her as a little kitten of about 6 weeks. She was spoiled and did not know that not all people are nice - she walked right up to them :( But, enough of that sadness! Currently I have a cat named Lucky - I rescued him after someone drop him off in a parking lot.

Here is a pic of him last Christmas, which was his first year with us. Yes, being the house cat is a tough job but someone has to do it. ;)

25594014_1819744631371118_7937048681403916308_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=3afa1aafcbe06d7de1bad16e1d9b80d5&oe=5C710D28
  • Options
    Beautiful cat! Spoil him rotten!
  • Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    edited November 2018
    Sounds like super secret projects are well underway!

November 20 Check-In
    @BreeMiles
    @ciane
    @cmbaker16
    @equuest
    @Kesminlix
    @suzses

Those we'll hear from soon ...
    @Bookworm742
    @Ziristha
    Post edited by ADWilson on
  • Options
    I was thinking I had flapped my gums enough to be considered checked in o:) but that I should do it today anyway, in case tomorrow was a problem for some reason. Guess that's not necessary after all. :D
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    @Mystik1978 What a doll baby your Lucky is!
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    @Mystik1978 : What a gorgeous boy Lucky is! He's so cute, he makes me want to hug and cuddle him!

I love the e-card you made of him. He's so cute in it, and he looks so happy and contented. :)
  • Options
    equuestequuest Posts: 718 Member
    @Mystik1978 Your cat is absolutely adorable! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top