The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Happy Holidays Gift Exchange ~ CLOSED

Comments

• ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    Ziristha wrote: »
    The item that was missing was the book of spells, it seemed I totally forgot to install it all this time! I was worried, for a moment I thought my store items were corrupted or something and no longer working :confounded:

Glad you were able to figure out which item and why it was missing. That sounds similar to when I was a Buddy and spent a lot of time looking for a certain decor item (I think it was the pitcher with lemons) and then realized that I couldn't find it because my Buddy didn't own that pack and I had filtered it out, lol
    Sometimes I do use sites like that one, specially to get inspiration or learn about certaing things about architecture styles, but when I struggle the most it's when I'm trying to come with a house of my own design because I really don't have any idea of where to start and I take days figuring what I want to do. Right now I'm stuck with a house I was building for my legacy family some days ago, I was fine with the shell until the furnishing-the-bedrooms-part came... now I feel like it's too huge and has too much wasted space in hallways... but then again it's something like a mansion, so it should be fine... ? and then I made a weird mess with the pool and it looks like it doesn't belong in a mansion-like building... ? been thinking about opening a thread and ask for advice but I'm not sure someone would like to engage with me, so I've just been procrastinating for days :lol:
    I think I'm totally going to steal that idea of "2 feet = 1 sim square" I think it would come in handy :smile:

I can understand that. I don't make large homes or mansions for that very reason ... I have trouble trying to fill spacious rooms so they look nice and comfortable for the family living there instead of looking like empty cavernous rooms.

Do open a thread asking for advice because I'm sure a few of the Buddies here (and others!) will be more than happy to look at your screenshots and offer opinions.
    OMG, thank you so much for letting me know this! I thought I was the only one that made a mess, so to speak, while building! In the house I just mentioned, I did first this mess with tables and chairs because I was trying to figure out what I liked best, and then I did this other mess of decor items(and windows it seems lol) because I saw them and thought "I like this, I might use it" :lol:

No, you are definitely not the only one who does this. :)
    I recall one time where I placed beds on the lawn because the lighting was better for making comparisons. I'm pretty sure I've done it with dining tables and chairs also.
    It is really useful info! and don't worry on my behalf, I like to engage with others, specially when they "type too much", after all I'm the same :smile:

Glad to be of help. :)
  • equuestequuest Posts: 718 Member
    It's nice to see so many people here on the thread! Sorry I haven't said hi to everyone, I spent the last few days working on school work. I got my buddy! <3

I believe I didn't say hi to @Kesminlix @cmbaker16 @BreeMiles @Kgaff @Mystik1978 and @Ziristha. I think that's everyone! :)
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,909 Member
    Hi to you also @equuest this is my first time around! I'm really enjoying it!
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    @Ziristha - I like to see everything like that sometimes too, but I don't include windows in the mix. I find the windows I like first. They are key to how I build the interior walls. If I don't find the window that will center nicely, I'll move a wall over! :wink: Also, laving moveobjects on will cause serious issues with ceiling tile disappearing. So while I might use MOO to move something to a spot out of the way for later use, I try to remember to turn it back off right away. Otherwise, I'll end up moving everything I MOOed into place to fix the ceiling tile on the floor below it.

Lots of simmers open threads in the builders forum to ask for help with a house they are working on. There are lots of friendly builders who love to help out simmers!

Waves happily at everyone! Goes back to looking for more ideas.
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited November 2018
    I didn't know that about ceiling tiles and MOO. Occasionally, I have a ceiling that drives me completely batting with disappearing in places - that must be why!

Getting organized and inspired here. I have a new folder in my bookmarks named @%@$%Y&amp; <-- disguised buddy name ;) with a growing list of ideas listed.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Mystik1978Mystik1978 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Yeah Buddies have been giving - Now it is time to start letting those creative juices flowing! Especially for those of you who haven't built Sims 3 stuff in awhile.

I will be honest a part of me has always been sad that the fun contests, exchanges and friends aren't on the Sims 4 .... BUT, I understand why. While Sims 4 is starting to get better - it lacks so much stuff from Sims 3. Can we all say ... CAS ... I hate not being able to make my own pallet designs in Sims 4.

SIMS 3 TIP

To help everyone getting back in the grove I wanted to share a blog post from "Carl's Sims 3 Guide" in this one they talk about decorating and play for the Holidays with the Sims 3 - Seasons Expansion Pack. There are also a few tips questions and tips at the bottom as well that might be worth a read through.

https://carls-sims-3-guide.com/seasons/winter.php

THANKSGIVING/CHRISTMAS TRADITION

When it comes to traditions - My mother, daughter and I (my boys use to join in too but haven't in some time) we all sit down each year and watch our own personal movie picks. Each of us pick a movie for the night - taken turns, eating popcorn and laughing together.

My mother often likes to watch "Moon Struck" with Char because it is her favorite romance - happy ending movie. I always loved "While You Were Sleeping" with Sandra Bullock. I love the comedy of it and of course the happy ever after; I always felt like something like that (with her getting mistake for the "coma" guys girlfriend. ;) could happen to me.

Last year my daughter's favorite was called "Holiday in Handcuffs" which is another funny one. Other's we have picked have been classics like Scrooge and How the Grinch Stole Christmas too! And, I can not tell you how many times I have had to watch Home Alone because one of my three kids picked it!

This year on our list so far we have "The Man Who Invented Christmas" (My Mom's Pick) & Christmas Cupid (My Daughters Pick). I haven't decided for mine yet.

@MiaSkywalker What you are thinking is very most likely it. Thank you very much for the warm wishes - it is hard but she is a strong little girl ... we will get through this! I will not say more; I do not wish to clog up this happy fun holiday feed with bad stuff. Feel free to send me a PM if you want to discuss anything.
    suzses wrote: »
    I didn't know that about ceiling tiles and MOO. Occasionally, I have a ceiling that drives me completely batting with disappearing in places - that must be why!

Getting organized and inspired here. I have a new folder in my bookmarks named @%@$%Y&amp; <-- disguised buddy name ;) with a growing list of ideas listed.

Whenever I have missing ceiling tiles, I blame MOO. If nothing is above the tiles, it's easy to delete the floor tile over it and then replace the ceiling tile. I blame the fact that I moved the cursor through that spot while I was MOOing in a door or window or something. Often, I find that I just had to MOO something on that spot one floor up. So, in order to delete the floor tiles and replace the ceiling tiles, I have to MOO all over again. I'm just super careful to turn off MOO right away when I replace the objects and check to make sure the tiles stayed nicely this time.

I, of course, blame MOO as I rarely use the other cheats; but it's the same principal. If I wanted to nudge the cabinets, which I always want to do, then I'll use disablesnappingtogridsonalt together with MOO. So, it might not technically be just MOO. Leaving on any of the cheats can cause problems you might not notice right away like those floating ceiling tiles. However, those are easy enough to fix with the sledge hammer as you don't have floors and furniture above them.

On another note, I've found my inspirations and am hoping for the best! I picked out two of this and two of that, so I'll see how things go.
  • cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    i got my buddy name! was so excited that I had gotten right to it and forgot to post I had the name :D
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    @Ziristha: If you need to reinstall some of your store stuff, @ciane has a thread that gives step by step for installing it to make sure none of it gets lost. Seriously, if you don't follow her steps, some of it will never show up in your game. The main trick is to make sure none of your .dbc files ever gets about 200MB, but there are a few items that you also have to install in a particular order or they never get installed at all.
    ADWilson wrote: »
    OMG, thank you so much for letting me know this! I thought I was the only one that made a mess, so to speak, while building! In the house I just mentioned, I did first this mess with tables and chairs because I was trying to figure out what I liked best, and then I did this other mess of decor items(and windows it seems lol) because I saw them and thought "I like this, I might use it" :lol:

No, you are definitely not the only one who does this. :)
    I recall one time where I placed beds on the lawn because the lighting was better for making comparisons. I'm pretty sure I've done it with dining tables and chairs also.
    Oh goodness yes. The build I have been working on recently I had four front doors in it for a while, because I couldn't decide which one I wanted to use. Eventually I narrowed it down to two and then one, but the decision wasn't easy. (Of course, the problem with this is that I later had to "set as front door" the one I kept, because the game didn't have it set properly.)

I've done the same thing with windows and other furniture as well. When I'm working on the roof (this one was done with the Now and Then roof pieces, as well as some of the greenhouse pieces), even various roof pieces will be cluttering up the lawn. It's much easier to do this when I have a fairly large lot compared to the build itself; when I use a tiny lot with the build going out practically to the edges, I have no outside place to put things. :)

I think everyone does this to some extent. I remember a friend of mine showing me a pic of a build she was working on, and one room of the house was filled with various misc decor clutter. She had only wanted to go through that category once, so she grabbed everything she THOUGHT she might use and placed it where she could get at it. :)

@ADWilson: Addy, I don't know if you know this, but if the inside lighting is bad despite having lamps in place, turning it to night and then day again will turn all the inside lights on. As long as you have lights, then, you can see what you're doing. I always use a ton of buydebug lights while I'm building so I can see everything in the best light, and only remove (most of) them when I'm finished completely with the build.

@Ciane: It's an interesting idea to base the whole build of the house on the windows. I always find it interesting to discover how differently everyone builds. I always do the shell first, then the basic room layouts, then decide the front door, then decide on the windows. If I *really* want to use a specific front door, I will design the width of the entry based on that. The windows I choose to work with the door, and get whatever feel I'm going for. The windows DO define much of the personality, but usually there are half a dozen I'm willing to use, and I use whichever ones fit the sizes of the rooms I've built better. But you often make tiny builds, which requires far more management skill, and I rarely do. Larger builds are easier in that regard at least. :)
  • 60smusicluvr60smusicluvr Posts: 1,982 Member
    WELP! I missed the sign ups! :flushed:
    giphy.gif

• lowpolygallowpolygal Posts: 422 Member
    I can understand that. I don't make large homes or mansions for that very reason ... I have trouble trying to fill spacious rooms so they look nice and comfortable for the family living there instead of looking like empty cavernous rooms.
    Same here, I like my houses to be comfy and warm and not huge and spacious, but this time it's for my legacy family that's currently on the 6th gen, so I wanted to go all out :lol:
    Do open a thread asking for advice because I'm sure a few of the Buddies here (and others!) will be more than happy to look at your screenshots and offer opinions.
    I might do it once this gift exchange it's over :smile:
    equuest wrote: »
    I believe I didn't say hi to Kesminlix cmbaker16 BreeMiles Kgaff Mystik1978 and Ziristha. I think that's everyone! :)
    Thank you and hi to you aswell! :blush:
    ciane wrote: »
    Ziristha - I like to see everything like that sometimes too, but I don't include windows in the mix. I find the windows I like first. They are key to how I build the interior walls. If I don't find the window that will center nicely, I'll move a wall over! :wink: Also, laving moveobjects on will cause serious issues with ceiling tile disappearing. So while I might use MOO to move something to a spot out of the way for later use, I try to remember to turn it back off right away. Otherwise, I'll end up moving everything I MOOed into place to fix the ceiling tile on the floor below it.
    Oh this is actually the first time I've left windows like that, I just did it because I was searching for a 3 tile one and I was putting them on the walls to see what combination I liked the most, then I sort of forgot them there and continued with the rest :lol: . I didn't know moveobjects caused issues with the ceilings, so far I've had an issue once with the celing going out of where I put it, like this
    5hOKu4w.png
    That screen was after I deleted a lot of it and when I went to see the interior ceiling (the part I did put) it wasn't there... so what I deleted was the interior ceiling :scream: I had to rebuild that part, thankfully it was the ceiling and nothing else was ruined.
    I don't remember what my conclusion was, but I think I messed up because I used placefriezes and cfe and might have touched something I shouldn't.
    But yeah, I also turn moveobjects off when I'm not using it, but I might add, it gets annoying going from cheat to cheat and on/off all the time :lol: the one that bothers me the most is disablesnappingtoslotsonalt because I always forget how it starts :unamused:
    ciane wrote: »
    Lots of simmers open threads in the builders forum to ask for help with a house they are working on. There are lots of friendly builders who love to help out simmers!
    Yeah, I've seen a little of this, I guess I should just try it, thank you :smile:
    Ziristha: If you need to reinstall some of your store stuff, ciane has a thread that gives step by step for installing it to make sure none of it gets lost. Seriously, if you don't follow her steps, some of it will never show up in your game. The main trick is to make sure none of your .dbc files ever gets about 200MB, but there are a few items that you also have to install in a particular order or they never get installed at all.
    Thank you! I do install my store stuff following @ciane method! what happened this time was that, I don't own the Gothique Library and that's where the book of spells comes too, with ciane's method you install the January 2012 Compilation and not the Enchanted Bundle of Dark Dealings, which is the compilation I got the book from... so, since I reinstalled my game and my store content I totally forgot about the book and I've been playing like this the entire time :lol:
    So, if it weren't because of this gift exchange and me testing one last time my build to upload it... who knows really when I would have noticed the missing book :joy:
    zDZ4NFB.png
    I have a Simblr
    @60smusicluvr Sorry you missed the signing up deadline :disappointed:
    A few weren't able to participate this time and indicated interest in one being held in the spring. If this interests you, please let me know & I'll add your name to the list.
  • 60smusicluvr60smusicluvr Posts: 1,982 Member
    @60smusicluvr Sorry you missed the signing up deadline :disappointed:
    A few weren't able to participate this time and indicated interest in one being held in the spring. If this interests you, please let me know & I'll add your name to the list.

I wish we did these more often. I was wondering when the next one would be. That's what I get for not going to the gift giving forum much anymore. :(

Yes, definitely put me on the list.
    I wish we did these more often. I was wondering when the next one would be. That's what I get for not going to the gift giving forum much anymore. :(

If others were interested in hosting, more in a year might be possible.
    Am considering spring and fall for next year & welcome input regarding this tentative schedule.
    Yes, definitely put me on the list.

Will do. :)
    I sense lots of planning and busyness in the silence. ;)
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Bookworm742Bookworm742 Posts: 4,068 Member
    Ack, thought I'd posted already, but I guess I just imagined it. Oops, my bad! But I have my buddy name, and I'm planning to hop into game tomorrow to start fiddling with things and seeing what my muse is interested in!
    @ciane and @MiaSkywalker I too find it interesting to see how others are inspired to build. I have not done many but I find my pattern is to start with a theme; Ranch, Cottage, Ect and then go looking for inspiration. From there I come up with the base of the house. I even normally get my outside roof and wall pattern down before moving into the inside of the house. On top of that I often start the landscaping in the yard as well before going into the house. I guess the way I see it is I build the way I see a person being introduced to a house would be. First you see the curb appeal - then the landscaping and outside and then you move inside. It is funny how we all have a process!

Everyone received their Buddy name & checked in ... nice!

The next Check-In is Tuesday, November 20th.
    This is to give a general update on your progress.
    Mystik1978 wrote: »
    @ciane and @MiaSkywalker I too find it interesting to see how others are inspired to build. I have not done many but I find my pattern is to start with a theme; Ranch, Cottage, Ect and then go looking for inspiration. From there I come up with the base of the house. I even normally get my outside roof and wall pattern down before moving into the inside of the house. On top of that I often start the landscaping in the yard as well before going into the house. I guess the way I see it is I build the way I see a person being introduced to a house would be. First you see the curb appeal - then the landscaping and outside and then you move inside. It is funny how we all have a process!

That is a great approach! I always go looking for house pics and/or plans. Then I always end up tweaking the plans. I'm all about efficiency. Too many stairs? Leave some out! etc. My landscaping is always last. I like to keep homes affordable, so I just see how much budget is left over. I start with the shell and have to get a roof I like before I continue. Then I'll look at the plan, if there is one and tweak where I'd put the ways. If I can't find windows I like, the floor plan has to be adjusted more. :smiley: Then, I fill up the house without CASting. CASting everything is usually the next to last task, just before landscaping. Then, I move in a family to play test and often I'm changing my CASting decisions as they play and test things out.

Eclecticism is a conceptual approach that does not hold rigidly to a single paradigm or set of assumptions, but instead draws upon multiple theories, styles, or ideas to gain complementary insights into a subject, or applies different theories in particular cases.

^^ I like to say this is me, but maybe I'm changeable and disorganized. :D I guess it depends on the project for me. Sometimes I do a lot of planning (like for something unfamiliar to me or if very large), and sometimes I kind of wing it. I do tend, like @Mystik1978 to start with the exterior, but usually only do a little landscaping before moving inside. I change layouts to fit sims' lives (or sometimes completely make them up), somewhat like @ciane, but I'm I totally unlike her with CASting. I do it all as I go, because something I come up with color or pattern wise has a lot of influence on what general "feel" I end up with in a build and what I'm going to put in next. I think I tend to end up with an "eclectic" style because size and shape influence my choices a lot more often then my selected theme.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    I got my first one done. :smiley: How are the rest of you doing?
    I've decided which of the others I plan to do too. So, I'll just be happily doing my thing in the Sims!

@suzses - I do some CASting as I put things in, but whether items stay that way or not is another matter!
    @ciane and @suzses I love hearing your process, for me I am with Suzses for CASing. Once I move inside I map out the floor plans, then pick a room and start the decor - I do all my CASing and decision making per one room at a time. Once happy I move on to the next room. Often I do not move on until I am happy with the room ... BUT sometimes something I do early on in a build won't feel right and I will find myself doubting the style or placement. Placement is another one of those things I tend to fuss over. Plus the decision to use the move objects on tool. I am really bad at it, when I use it I tend to run a play through and have lots of pathing issues.

I do have a question for any who can answer - I haven't played Sims 3 in ages so it never got reinstalled on my computer after the Dell tech put in a new motherboard. So I have to reinstall all my store stuff again. I know there are ways to help with saving your store stuff so you do not loss it or so it is easier to add but I can't remember where I seen the tips on how to do it. Does anyone know?
    On another note - What type of cheerleader would I be without some fun and inspirational images!!!

I know not everyone will do "Holiday Themed Builds" but you know I had to start us off in a fun and festive mood! So, For any of you wanting to do festive builds here is something to help get your creative juices flowing!

Christmas-Home-Tour-2013.png

22-Legendary-Christmas-House-Decorations-Inside-Image-.jpg

Christmas-Living-Room-28.jpg

7ab70fd72f64b22f000743ed0d3076f4--outdoor-christmas-decorations-christmas-greenery.jpg
    @ciane You go, girl. I have one done, too (but this is mostly because I got inspired and don't have much of a true schedule in my life at the present). Other ideas are percolating.

@Mystik1978 Lovely holiday pictures. I want to live in that room in the third pic, the one with the wicker sofas and all the natural greenery.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top