Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Read this! Cyclic Redundancy Check (Updated 6/4/09, 18:00 CDT)

Comments

• Options
    trjao692010trjao692010 Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    If anyone has noticed, this problem has been occurring for over a year and thus far all we have gotten are a bunch of lame excuses and "fixes" that DON'T work! I have been trying since March to install this game and IT WILL NOT INSTALL! I am getting the same errors as everybody else and have tried ALL of the suggestions and still NO luck! I have a brand new computer running win7 and meet all requirements to run the game too. I personally think it's a programming issue and NOT our computers or other programs we have installed. I have NEVER had a problem installing any Maxis games until this one. How could they recall all of the games already in our hands? They would have take a huge loss and they just don't care enough about us to do that! So, for all of you in the same boat as I am, I guess we're just a bunch of schmucks! :roll:
  • Options
    FlutterbykimmiFlutterbykimmi Posts: 157
    edited August 2010
    I did not have this problem the first time I installed the game but we just got a new CPU, Motherboard and RAM and I'm reinstalling the game and it is just now giving me this error for the first time. My game was running fine before we did a very nice and expensive upgrade on our system. The DVD drive is the same that I was using before and it installed the base game and WA with no problems.

*edit on above :oops: I took the DVD out, cleaned it (there was a minute part of a thumb print) and it is now *fingers crossed* working.
  • Options
    nelly96simnelly96sim Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    I find it so annouying it worked before and i have tried to install on my new Laptop and it comes up with error cyclic redundancy check, i've tried defragging twice and i dont understand the EA content manager so im stuck, i would also like to no for me to buy the sims 3 ambitions do i need to have the sims 3 installed because as youcan see i cannot install it
  • Options
    madmaggie761madmaggie761 Posts: 60 New Member
    edited August 2010
    I am also having this problemm. I uninstalled Sims 3, Ambitions and WA. Reinstalled Sims3 and WA. Got to Ambitions and now this is happening. So weird it was on the same computer since the release and now it is not working. Any ideas?
  • Options
    Daniielle1990Daniielle1990 Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    I had the same problem everyone is having here, so I called EA support on 0870 243 2435. The man I spoke to logged into my account and sent me a digital download. But he told me to clean my disk before I used the digital download. Which I did, once I'd cleaned the disk with a bit of water and a dry cloth and installed again everything worked, so I didn't need the digital download in the end. If after you have cleaned the disk it still doesn't install then call the above number, get the person to send you a digital download and install it like that, just means you will no longer need the disk!! Hope this works for you all!!
  • Options
    cas5836cas5836 Posts: 3
    edited August 2010
    I've seen this same post hundreds of time before but I don't believe it's anyone's computer drive if countless people are having the same problem. It doesn't make sense that new discs are working. Disc defrag doesn't work, safe mode doesn't work, and it's not the computer, I believe EA is to blame.
  • Options
    Lustvamp88Lustvamp88 Posts: 15 New Member
    edited August 2010
    I had the same problem everyone is having here, so I called EA support on 0870 243 2435. The man I spoke to logged into my account and sent me a digital download. But he told me to clean my disk before I used the digital download. Which I did, once I'd cleaned the disk with a bit of water and a dry cloth and installed again everything worked, so I didn't need the digital download in the end. If after you have cleaned the disk it still doesn't install then call the above number, get the person to send you a digital download and install it like that, just means you will no longer need the disk!! Hope this works for you all!!

would it work if you uploaded the digital copy for us to use?
  • Options
    Lustvamp88Lustvamp88 Posts: 15 New Member
    edited August 2010
    if you are having this problem go onto your ea download manager then go to the tab saying activation put in your product key sign in and then it will automatic download a dital copy for you. They fail to tell youthis when you purchase the iteam that you can download it this way.

It will work and you wont have the problem with the error.

thank you for the ea support tech that told me this way, they was very helpful
  • Options
    dx9zq5r8rjn9jcukdx9zq5r8rjn9jcuk Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    My story seems to be the same as everyone elses.
    Have run scandisk, defrag, chkdsk/f/v and some other third party utilities as well.
    My system checks out fine.
    Have burnt and copied cd's to test and they all work fine.
    Have tried a new cd player, cd writer & dvd writer and still get the same.
    I have no other games which have caused problems in either running or installing.

Sounds like they may have had a manufacturing issue!!!!!

Sounds like one possible solution to this problem would be to offer it online as a free download for registered users. They could then run from hard drive (and obviously it would have to have been tested prior to being available for download).

In EA's defence, CRC errors are NORMALLY due to hardware problems.
    BUT NOT ALWAYS, WHICH I DO BELIEVE TO BE THE CASE IN THIS INSTANCE.
  • Options
    GraceKathrynm537GraceKathrynm537 Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    Albalannae wrote:
    Soooooooo yeah, I used to have this game installed on my computer, with world adventure and ambitions and they were all working just fine. Then my hard drive died and I had to start over. But lo and behold, this stupid cyclic redundancy error popped up! (all spawning from the fullbuild packages :cry: ) I've tried copying the file from the disk, didn't work, tried running as admin, still didn't work. I'm trying to download it as an electronic copy so hopefully once I figure out how to do that it will but I feel everyone's pain >_<... I'm just confused how it could of worked right the first time but is not working now?

This is typically caused by an error reading the disk. There are a number of steps that will help to prevent this error from occurring.

* End all unnecessary background processes. This will help insure that the installation is not conflicting with programs and processes running concurrently.
    * If that does not resolve the issue, you should continue with some basic installation troubleshooting. These steps will resolve conflicts with the actual installer, itself.
    * If you still experience the issue, try this CD-rom troubleshooting to verify the integrity of the disk.
    * If none of this works, you will want to attempt a hard drive installation of the game. In this process, you copy the game files to the desktop, so that the disk, although necessary for running the game, is not necessary for installation.

1. Insert the game disk into the drive.
    2. Close any autoplay screen that may appear.
    3. Open My Computer.
    4. Right-click on the CD-drive containing The Sims disk and choose Open.
    5. Click on Edit at the top of the window.
    6. Click on Select All.
    7. Click on Edit again.
    8. Click on Copy.
    9. Close the window.
    10. Right-click on your desktop and choose New and then Folder.
    11. Right-click on the New Folder on your desktop and choose Paste.
    * The game files should now copy to the folder.
    12. Once copying is complete, remove all disks from any drives.
    13. Click on the Start button.
    14. Click Run.
    15. Click Browse in the Run window.
    16. Start from the Desktop and go into the New Folder.
    17. Open the Setup folder, and then the language folder that you want to install in.
    * Example: the English folder.
    18. Highlight the file named _s327 and choose Open.
    * This should take you back to the Run window.
    19. Go to the very end of the line of text and add a space and then -1.
    * The end of the line should look like this: _s327.exe" -1
    20. Click OK and the installation should begin.
  • Options
    GraceKathrynm537GraceKathrynm537 Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    Lustvamp88 wrote:
    if you are having this problem go onto your ea download manager then go to the tab saying activation put in your product key sign in and then it will automatic download a dital copy for you. They fail to tell youthis when you purchase the iteam that you can download it this way.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: THANK. YOU.

:D -G
  • Options
    eejaeheeeejaehee Posts: 1
    edited September 2010

Well, I WAS downloading the online version.. And I got 98% complete and I get that CRC error at the very end. I can't take my "copy" in because it's already online. I've downloaded it twice already, after the first time I cached it all because I read that I should, and try to download it without pausing.. So I did, and I got the CRC error even EARLIER in the download the second time. I've downloaded this on my old laptop before, it's specs are much lower than my brand new ASUS. I cannot do the 'copy hard drive' thing because I do not have my old laptop anymore. I've been reading on forums and googling every possible phrase of this issue for my laptop but everyone is complaining about a CRC error with their disks -- I don't have one.. My sims ambitions downloaded just fine, but the world adventures is what I'm having the problem with.

I am running Windows 7..
    Processor: intel core i7 cpu Q 720 @ 1.60GHz 1.60 GHz
    RAM: 6.00 GB
    System type: 64-bit Operating System
    Available memory: 4.47 GB
    ATI mobility radeon hd 5870 graphics card
  • Options
    Nealos101Nealos101 Posts: 19
    edited September 2010
    :shock:

I was having this same error but the digital download worked for me - It sounds like a hard disk fault if the same process worked on your old laptop. Your laptop is brand spanking new or has had some previous problems/programs on it?

I've assumed you've tried the disk defragmenting solution?

Also, 4.47 GB available memory (Is this on the hard disk??) does not sound sufficient for heavy downloads.

Remember - You have to download and then install from that download - At one point in time you'll have virtually two heafty weights on your hard disk equating to around 5GB...
  • Options
    NymarieNymarie Posts: 14
    edited September 2010
    Okay so, I could not get my CD to work on my computer. I switched to my boyfriend's newly formatted computer and had the exact same issue. I haven't been able to play since the month I bought the game now. Can I download the game way after I've registered it?? I think it's a disc reading error.
  • Options
    NymarieNymarie Posts: 14
    edited September 2010
    Alright, I'm done. I love this game to death but as it seems right now, I will never be able to play it again. I want you idiots to know I've encountered every bug/messup/mistake you guys have. I cannot play on my computer because the expansions will not work with Windows 7. And now I can't play at all because my disc has a CRC error. AND to top it all off, the EA download manager will no longer run on my computer. SO **** IT. I'm done.
  • Options
    Aerynsmom22Aerynsmom22 Posts: 6 New Member
    edited September 2010
    I've tried all these including copying the disc. I get the same read errors when I try to copy so no help there. This is BS. I was able to install all this crap the first time. Why can't I now?
  • Options
    Mel_0016Mel_0016 Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    Nymarie wrote:
    Okay so, I could not get my CD to work on my computer. I switched to my boyfriend's newly formatted computer and had the exact same issue. I haven't been able to play since the month I bought the game now. Can I download the game way after I've registered it?? I think it's a disc reading error.

I just got a bran new computer yesterday and went to install Sim3 and had the FullBuild1.package error (CRC Error). All of the suggestions above list steps and steps of download this, or go through these settings, alter this then it will be fixed. What a waste of time.

Anyone who has the Sims3 Disc should place the disc into the drive. Find the Sims3 disc (D: Drive) and right click the icon, then click open.

A list of the folders inside the disc will appear, go to "Support" and there you will find EADM (EA Download Manager). Open EADM folder and double-click eadm-installer and download your download manager. After completing all the necessary steps for the EA Download Manager. Once fully downloaded, click the EADM program, log-in, and your Sims3 game should be there with a green 'start' button. Click, and download through your EADM, any disc reading errors should not give you any hastles through the EADM. In my experience.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    KrystabelaKrystabela Posts: 143 Member
    edited September 2010
    Mel_0016 wrote:
    Nymarie wrote:

I just got a bran new computer yesterday and went to install Sim3 and had the FullBuild1.package error (CRC Error). All of the suggestions above list steps and steps of download this, or go through these settings, alter this then it will be fixed. What a waste of time.

Anyone who has the Sims3 Disc should place the disc into the drive. Find the Sims3 disc (D: Drive) and right click the icon, then click open.

A list of the folders inside the disc will appear, go to "Support" and there you will find EADM (EA Download Manager). Open EADM folder and double-click eadm-installer and download your download manager. After completing all the necessary steps for the EA Download Manager. Once fully downloaded, click the EADM program, log-in, and your Sims3 game should be there with a green 'start' button. Click, and download through your EADM, any disc reading errors should not give you any hastles through the EADM. In my experience.

Hope this helps!

So I had the game originally installed on my laptop but had to delete and reinstall. When reinstalling I had the CRC error everyone else is getting. I followed the above steps and had NO problems whatsoever. Really recommend anyone else having problems try the above as well. It took me an hour to download (while I was online as well) and then ten minutes to install. Compared to the nine + hours I spent merely TRYING to install from the cd it was not bad.
  • Options
    missgabbymissgabby Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    I ran the defrag. Still hasn't helped. My install won't move from the screen C:/.../Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Caches/Sunset Valley.objectCache
    yeah mines stuck there too
  • Options
    dcrgurl16dcrgurl16 Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    Lustvamp88 wrote:
    if you are having this problem go onto your ea download manager then go to the tab saying activation put in your product key sign in and then it will automatic download a digital copy for you. They fail to tell you this when you purchase the item that you can download it this way.

if u have tried everything and not working try what is above! ive had ambitions since it came out and nothing worked and this worked for me! it takes awile to download the digital copy but if it works its worth it right? good luck!
  • Options
    BigWill84BigWill84 Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    Aight so check this.

I once had The Sims 3 with a disc back earlier this year, I was borrowing it from a friend who was out of the country and couldn't play it. they came back and I had to give it up. (I say this because my computer is MORE than capable of running this game speed wise and memory wise (a 250GB hard drive with only half used))

Then I decided I was going to get my own. So I have a DIGITAL DOWNLOAD version of The original Sims 3 game and a DIGITAL DOWNLOAD version of World Adventures, no disc for either one.

Every time I go to install either one of them after they have been downloaded, I get CRC errors on multiple files for each game. I don't understand, if this is a problem with the disc, HOW CAN I BE HAVING IT!? :evil: I don't even have a disc, it's a straight download. I didn't pause the download or anything, it ran the full two hours to download it, but still problems. Anyone have an idea?
  • Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited October 2010
    BigWill84 - You'll get more help by starting your own thread. Please post your dxdiag. As I don't digitally download my games (although I think digital is going to replace physical media) I can only guess that your download was corrupt. Your computer looks at the file and computes a crc value. It then compares this value against a value contained in the file. If the values don't match it is assumed to be a corrupt file thus a crc error. It is known that pausing the download could cause corrupt files. If the download took 2 hours I'm thinking your isp is slow.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Options
    SimonneSimonne Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    forget the defrag - i tried using my external DVD rom instead of the built in one of my PC... it worked first time.

I used to get that frustrating CRC error, but just using a different DVD drive worked perfectly.

Hope this is more helpful than it is irritating knowing you need another drive!
  • Options
    BuRny1BuRny1 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited October 2010
    I have auto download so no dvd, and I get the same error. I just said ignore and it installed. Just moved someone into a high rise so haven't really played it yet, but so far so good.
  • Options
    Drocker7Drocker7 Posts: 66
    edited October 2010
    I got this issue yesterday when trying to install late night. My game was working fine. Admittedly, I hadn't played it in about a month, but that was because of some other stupid issue that went unsolved.

I've cleaned the disk, I'm doing the defrag, and I've removed all saves and previous files from the Electronic Arts folder and deleted it entirely. My computer runs the game fine and meets the requirements...

What else is there to do? -_-
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top