Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Read this! Cyclic Redundancy Check (Updated 6/4/09, 18:00 CDT)

Comments

• Options
    LastSunrise1892LastSunrise1892 Posts: 2 New Member
    edited June 2010
    i'm about to chuck the disks out of my window! i unistalled all the games, including the base game, and i defraged it. well i tried to reinstall the base game and now i cant even install that one! this is crazy! anyone have any newer tips?
  • Options
    pcatpcat Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Hello! I'm getting the error, however, when I click retry it just keeps on continuing as if there was no error.

Will everything be all right during game play?
  • Options
    snowygirl814snowygirl814 Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    I agree this error is veryyy annoying.

I've had this game for a long time now and it worked when i installed it when it first came out. Now its a long time after it came out and I had to uninstall it because the Download Manager wasn't working and I couldn't play the game. Now when i try to reinstall it I am getting that stupid CRC error. I also just got my computer redone about a month or two ago so theres alot more memory and everything. This is just plain stupid.... :P
  • Options
    JessicaTingleJessicaTingle Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    I am tryimg to install the Sims 3 on my third computer (the first didnt have a good enough graohics card and the second unfortunately broke recently)
    My computer is brand new and quite high spec and so its not likely there's a dvd drive error. The disc has also been used a lot so i dont know if thats a problem. The big issue is the SunsetValley.objectcache
    with this file ive had a crc error an incorrect function error and, when trying to copy it into a folder on my drive, windows explorer keeps coming up with the message that it cant read from the source file or disk.
    please help, im getting really frustrated.
  • Options
    HannyyyyyHannyyyyy Posts: 1 New Member
    edited July 2010
    I dont know if this will help, but I was having this problem, I did not have the ea download manager installed, but then thought maybe if I did install the EADM it would work, so I did this and now my Sims 3 is intalling perfectly fine :) it took forever, but at least it is working now :) so give downloading the Download manger a go :)
  • Options
    FordGT90ConceptFordGT90Concept Posts: 355 Member
    edited July 2010
    It depends how bad the damage is to the disk. GameDR works great for surface damage. If it is severe, you'll have to take it to some place that has the hardware necessary to resurface the disk for a few bucks. If the scratches go all the way down to the data layer, the disk is done for.

Apparently, if you registered your game with EA, you can use EA Download Manager to download and install the game even if your disk(s) are beyond repair.
  • Options
    SuSu_SimSuSu_Sim Posts: 6 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Ford is right get the ea download manger click on activation register your game by putting in the serial numbert hat came with the game and then once you register you can download your game

I'm so glad they have that available because I was having download problems with my disk.
  • Options
    ErionErion Posts: 267 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Where do you download the EA download manager? I previously uninstalled and I'm trying to reinstall but I keep getting errors on the sunset valley cache.
  • Options
    FordGT90ConceptFordGT90Concept Posts: 355 Member
    edited July 2010
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I downloaded EADM, and now Sims 3 is downloading to my computer! It's also uploading a bunch of old Sims 2 stuff. I guess it downloaded it because it saw I didn't have it on my computer and I had registered my game. It is taking forever like Hannyyyyy said, but at least it is working. It's better than no game at all.

update:
    For some reason it has stopped installing and freezes up my computer whenever it gets to fullbuild2. Any advice?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    atranquilseaatranquilsea Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    i got this error downloading an expansion pack.

A quick reboot and making sure there were no background programs running solved the issue for me.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yah, I rebooted my computer multiple times. I think it might be because my computer is having problems with one of the disks because when I previously had Sims 3 installed, it left a corrupted file on my computer.
  • Options
    Janni_fanniJanni_fanni Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    Iv had this game for routhly 3 months and it has been working fine, but today it downloaded updates and now the game doesnt show up and keeps coming up with an error box and a black screen :cry:
    can anyone help me as i dont no how to get it back and i dont want to loose everythink i have done
    thank youu xxx
  • Options
    MissAnesthesiaMissAnesthesia Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    I had to reinstall yesterday due to some kind of borked thing in my own game. World Adventures was returning this error, after doing every step I could find anywhere and nothing working, I was bit frustrated (okay, very frustrated).

However, I have the disks so what finally did work was installing my game through the Ea Download manager (under activate, enter your code). It seems obvious now that I got it working, but for those who have the disks and are having the problem you could give this a shot.

ETA: Ambitions also had the same error, it's downloading through the EADM now *sigh*. Save for reformatting my entire pc, there doesn't seem to be much else anyone can do. Running them off the EADM isn't ideal for me, and I have no idea if my disk will still work or not (fingers crossed though). Hey, at least I get to still use it.

I've noticed others are having the same problem with reinstalling, could it be some other traces left by the game on our computers? All the games save for HELS gave some issue upon reinstalling them.
  • Options
    aleeshmaleealeeshmalee Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    My father keeps insisting that it's because the disk is scratched.
    I honestly doubt that. Answers, please?
  • Options
    summeroo3summeroo3 Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    Okay i have tried just about everything, and i have not been able to play this game once yet and i am getting extremely mad because the sims is my favorite game to play, So please please please help me fix this stupid problem. :(
  • Options
    simfreak19simfreak19 Posts: 16 Member
    edited July 2010
    This error didn't happen to the sims 3 when I bought it on the day it came out. but when I bought ambitions, it did. I tried everything, and I even unistalled my sims 3 game and trying to reinstall it, this error came up. so I returned ambitions and let my sims 3 rot in my computer desk. then a month later, i didn't have my internet connected and tried to install the sims 3 again, and no errors. so I was like, lets buy WA, and then the error comes. so right now, after a week of trying everything,

I am downloading from EADM as I type. cross my fingers, please work.

I didn't have any serial code already in use errors.
    hopefully it works, but try downloading it.

It takes like an hour to download an 15 mins to install or something, so make sure you have time on your hands.

EDIT: I installed it now and it plays perfectly. It freezes sometimes, but its better than nothing.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    AngelinaMappAngelinaMapp Posts: 3 New Member
    edited July 2010
    I think the new update is causing the majority of the problems. I downloaded the new update two or three days ago and at first I couldn't download anything from the store, so I reinstalled my games and now I can't even access my game. When my launcher pops up it says "error loading" and stays blank. I just want to play my **** game!
  • Options
    straightjacketbunystraightjacketbuny Posts: 14 New Member
    edited July 2010
    Hey everyone,
    I uninstalled The Sims 3 last night to get rid of (another) error that was occuring,
    And when trying to reinstall it I keep getting the Cyclic Redundancy error,
    I've been trying all morning to fix this using all of the methods I can find, and am now trying to use the EADM,
    But when I try to launch EADM a message pops up saying:
    'The application failed to initilaize properly. Please ensure you are not trying to run the application on multiple Windows accounts simultaneously. If the problem still persists, please reinstall the application.'
    No other users are using EADM and I've reinstalled it at least seven hundred times.
    Any ideas for what I should do next?
    Thanks, :XD:
    xx
  • Options
    sarahnoelle122sarahnoelle122 Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    chrissyms0 wrote:
    DonJuan wrote:
    Hello all, sorry to hear about your issues with CRC checks.

For Disc based Simmers:

Something that you could try to do would be to copy the contents of the install DVD to a folder on your hard drive and install from there.

I just successfully installed Sims 3 from the DVD so I cannot attest to whether or not this will solve the issue.

If interested follow these steps:

1. First, run Windows/Microsoft Update if an internet connection is available and look for any Hardware updates that are related to your DVD drive and install them.
    1. Then create a folder called something to the effect of "Sims3Install" (without quotes) on your hard drive, (e.g. C:\Sims3Install\).
    2. After which, insert the Sims 3 DVD into your DVD-ROM drive.
    3. Close the Autorun prompt that appears and open My Computer.
    4. Navigate to your DVD Drive and select all the files/folders (you can also press the Ctrl + A keys).
    5. At this point drag and drop all the files/folders into the \Sims3Install\ folder.
    6. After the file copy process completes open the \Sims3Install\ folder and double-click the "Sims3Setup.exe" and attempt to install from the Hard Disk.

Hopefully this will help some with the CRC issue.

If anyone attempts this please post your results.

Best of luck and hang in there. :mrgreen:

|UPDATE|

As chrissyms0 had mentioned, upon searching the thesims3.com/help site for "Cyclic Redundancy Check" EA has also included these steps as a possible work around. There steps may be easier to follow then the ones posted above.

DIRECT LINK TO SIMS 3 HELP ANSWER

Answer

This is typically caused by an error reading the disk. There are a number of steps that will help to prevent this error from occurring.

* End all unnecessary background processes. This will help insure that the installation is not conflicting with programs and processes running concurrently.
    o How to end background processes
    * If that does not resolve the issue, you should continue with some basic installation troubleshooting. These steps will resolve conflicts with the actual installer, itself.
    o Installation troubleshooting steps
    * If you still experience the issue, try CD-ROM troubleshooting to verify the integrity of the disk.
    o CD-ROM troubleshooting steps

* If none of this works, you will want to attempt a hard drive installation of the game. In this process, you copy the game files to the Desktop, so that the disk, although necessary for running the game, is not necessary for installation.

1. Right-click the Desktop, select New, and select Folder.
    2. Insert the Install Disk into the drive.
    3. Exit any autoplay screen that may appear.
    4. Open My Computer.
    5. Right-click the CD-ROM drive containing the Install Disk and select Open.
    6. Click Edit at the top of the window.
    7. Click Select All.
    8. Click Edit again.
    9. Click Copy.
    10. Close the window.
    11. Right-click the New Folder on your desktop and select Paste. (The game files will now copy.)
    12. Once the files from the Install Disk are copied proceed to step 20. :mrgreen: (Edited by DonJuan to remove the multiple Disc steps, since there are none as someone pointed out :D )
    20. Upon completion, remove all disks from any drives.
    21. Double-click the Setup folder.
    22. Double-click on the Sims3Setup.exe icon, looks like two silver arrows and a half-cirle on a blue background. (The installation should now begin.)

Try this!!!!!!!!!!

I did this but it stops and says it cant find the fullbuildpackage.1 thing, and it doesnt work! and it wont finish copying into the New Folder. WHAT DO I DO!
  • Options
    britneyfbritneyf Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    Hello everyone! I felt just like all of you! You're trying everything but no matter what you do, it doesn't work. All of these people are coming up with solutions that seem to work for EVERYONE! (Except for you! Typical....) I wanted to snap the disc in half and have my terrible two's niece finish it off by throwing it in the garbage!
    I cleaned off my disc with my shirt, sat down at my computer (took a deep breath) and here's what I did:
    1.) Close the auto pop-up window that appears when you put your disc in.
    2.) Go to My Computer and open the Sims 3 files folder.
    3.) Right-click on the 'Sims3Setup' file and click either 'Run as Administrator' (on Vista/7) or 'Run as...' >> choose the Administrator choice (which is what I tried on my XP laptop).
    ** Note: This set up process only seemed to work for me on my Windows 7-based desktop. (Desktop/laptop should not matter though!)
    4.) I went through the regular install steps. But, some people have said that you could also try 'Custom' and just not change any of the settings.

I know this method was already given, but just in case you didn't already see it and so that you didn't have to go back and look for it.

If this doesn't work for you, do not worry! You will find a method that works for you.
    If not, you might have to bite the bullet, call EA and go through the steps to send your disc back and try a new one.
    Sorry if I couldn't help you; you're welcome if I could!
  • Options
    NiicoleBabeNiicoleBabe Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    uscfanatic wrote:
    I had the same issue..

Then I saw everyone going "then I put the disk in my DVD-ROM" and I was like, wow, I've been using my CD-ROM. So I put it in the DVD-ROM and so far its like 90% isntalled with 0 errors.. It even passed fFullbuild1.package. :lol:

It just passed fullbuild2.package and now is uploading files like a madman, - Horray!

I was playing with the disc in cd-rom and it worked for about 5 seconds,so then I tried putting it in my DVD-ROM and it goes green like it does when it recognizes the disc but when I go onto my computer and click on dvd-rom slot it says there is no disc inserted. -.- its really annoying me
  • Options
    Crafty10117Crafty10117 Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    I have no clue what you are talking about, and I have the same error. I've had many errors with trying to reinstall my game because it said i needed to get a game update. So when i clicked ok, the launcher was blank and had no images at all. So, i uninstalled the game and tried to reinstall it. Now it's giving me problems. Help.
  • Options
    robenroben Posts: 5 New Member
    edited August 2010
    I was so annoyed by this issue that i went out and bought a whole new game and am installing it as I speak, see how we go.
    ANGRY!!!!!! :evil:
  • Options
    AlbalannaeAlbalannae Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    Soooooooo yeah, I used to have this game installed on my computer, with world adventure and ambitions and they were all working just fine. Then my hard drive died and I had to start over. But lo and behold, this stupid cyclic redundancy error popped up! (all spawning from the fullbuild packages :cry: ) I've tried copying the file from the disk, didn't work, tried running as admin, still didn't work. I'm trying to download it as an electronic copy so hopefully once I figure out how to do that it will but I feel everyone's pain >_<... I'm just confused how it could of worked right the first time but is not working now?
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top