Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Read this! Cyclic Redundancy Check (Updated 6/4/09, 18:00 CDT)

Comments

• Options
    StickyBubbles28StickyBubbles28 Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    I've now got this cyclic error, when it tries to install the Sunset valley cache. The weird thing is, I bought the disk about a year ago, and it wouldn't work on the computer, but it did on my laptop. It installed fine, but I unistalled it again as it kept crashing. Now it won't let me reinstall, as it keeps coming up with this CRC error.

I've tried installing from the hard drive, but it won't even copy the sunset cache files. Does this mean the files themselves are corrupted? Do I need to buy a new disk?

Any other options would be appriciated :D It's so frustrating that it did work, but now it doesn't! :(
  • Options
    DDW2luvsts2DDW2luvsts2 Posts: 3 New Member
    edited May 2011
    What on EARTH am I doing!?
    This keeps happening with my Sims3 Ambitions. I have everything else installed I just cannot get my ambitions to install. This is EXTREMLY frustrating. I truely dont want to go spend $50+ on a new game disk.
  • Options
    JenngnomeJenngnome Posts: 668 Member
    edited May 2011
    Ok.....

Sims 3 installed just fine.

Trying to install the Ambitions expansion and yes, i get the cyclic redundancy Check. However, not with the build file that everyone else seems to have, rather, its the Twinbrook.objectCache

Tried to do what page 2 or 3 said, copying the files from the CD to my harddrive, but even then, it says "Error with Twinbrook.objectCache."

And yes, my computer has be defragmented several times. So i can't copy to my harddrive and it won't install on its own. I do not want to buy a new disc, hell, i already have my code as proof of purchase. Is there anything i can do to get this to work?

---update----

Because i don't see a 'remove post' button, please disreguard this post. i figured it out... turns out my one year old was playing with the disc and got a fingerprint on it. The disc still looked clean, but i recleaned it to make sure and it fixed my error. So, if anyone else is having this problem and tried the steps i tried, honestly, try cleaning the disc.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    VileDivinityVileDivinity Posts: 17
    edited June 2011
    After skimming through a couple pages apparently
    defragmenting should help as it does for some users,
    or you could go to page 2 or 3 and pull the files
    straight off the disk and force it into action.

I had to have the files copied onto my desktop to
    get it to finally stop with that silly little error.

If you're curious on what I'm talking about, go to
    around pages 2-4 and one of them will explain further.
  • Options
    DreadWizardDMDreadWizardDM Posts: 194 Member
    edited June 2011
    Fear not simmers, the tech guy is here. Do the following..

1. Cut and paste the entire contents of your documents sims3 folder into a new folder on your desktop.
    2. Delete the cache from the EADM inside of its dir.
    3. Run the sims 3 and play fresh for 5-10 minutes.
    4. Place your backed up files back into your docs sims3 folder. Excluding any cache files.

This will usually remove any cyclic redundancy errors in game.

NOTE: DO NOT DOWNLOAD OR USE SIMS FROM THE EXCHANGE!! IT WILL BORK YOUR GAME EVENTUALLY. Stick to hair colors, and patterns. Also stay clear of lots unless it contains nothing but standard base game / ep items. If you use CC remove all of it and stick it back into the game slowly and in small groups, as much of it has not been updated for the latest patch.

PS: Cyclic redundancy is also related to CPU / GPU speed and memory. Basically if your system is a little on the older side the game software will want to run faster than your GPU can handle it. Defragging your HD is a way to SLIGHTLY improve data access speeds, which can reduce redundancy.
  • Options
    blueeyesangel18blueeyesangel18 Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I started to get this error after I installed a new harddrive in my laptop and wanted to reinstall the base game, ejecting the disc after selecting retry and closing the tray when it asked worked for me. It was a long install but hey it worked. Thanks to the person who suggested this I thought my luck had ran out!
  • Options
    Lolagirl12Lolagirl12 Posts: 18
    edited June 2011
    I tried the hard drive thing, but the same file that was giving me an issue before (Bridgeport object cache) won't copy. ARGGHHHH!

I will try the above mentioned method of installing it. It's now 1:43 AM here and I just wanna get Sims installed and go to bed!

Edit: I may give up soon. Cleaning didn't work, putting it on the hard drive didn't work, and opening and closing the CD drive isn't working. It's 3 AM and I have been working on this since 11 PM. However, windows is wanting to do an update. I'll let that update then try again tomorrow.

Edit again: I let windows, EADM, Origin, and Adobe flash player update themselves. I also cleaned my disk using the same solution I use to clean my glasses, and Late Night installed quickly with no problems. I don't know if it was the updating or the cleaning since I did them both at the same time, but it's working now!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    SpunkyRansomSpunkyRansom Posts: 18 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I'm having the same problem...gah! It's so frustrating I had to have my computer fixed and they deleted ALL my old stuff..Before it was fixed and broken I had this problem and I just copy and pasted EVERYTHING from the disc to a folder on my documents and once it all copied I took the disk out and then on the folder hit the autoplay and it worked...
    But now that I'm trying to copy the fullbuild 1 it doesn't copy...Does anyone know why it's doing that?
  • Options
    emmykitty98emmykitty98 Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I was updating my game and then it stopped and told me to close sims 3 game launcher and when I done that my updated closed and it wont let me play my game it says my expansion pack is not compatible to my base game so I tried reinstalling my game and a page pops up when the upload is to a point and says the sunset valley cache wont install. Can you tell me some options to fix this?
  • Options
    XxbratXxbrat Posts: 4 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I had the game for a while and it worked fine. Until a few months ago. I could start the game and play for about 10 minutes and then it shut down. I tried to reinstall it and it worked fine for a while then the same thing happend. I have done the same presedure over and over again with the same resultat.
  • Options
    sftbllgal1sftbllgal1 Posts: 15
    edited July 2011
    so what i am doing is I did the reinsert disc thing...then it started to move little and little so i just hit retry and its moving alot. im going to replace the problem file and hopefully it works

EDIT: it stopped at like 90% im going back to the reinsert cd thing
  • Options
    JukasSmithJukasSmith Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    The thing I don't get is that I actually had Late night installed fine before. Then I bought Ambitions and installed it just fine as well. I got a recent update which made my base game uncompatible, and so I uninstalled everything and reupdated the base game. Ambitions reinstalled perfectly, but then Late Night wouldn't. And so commenced the cyclic redundancy check error thing....
  • Options
    eternalamoureternalamour Posts: 5 New Member
    edited August 2011
    I had the game installed for god knows how long. I installed High End Loft Stuff and then I was getting an error for updating. I uninstalled the game, went to reinstall it and got this error.

I then REFORMATTED my entire hard drive, got this error again. I repeated this process and i'm still getting the error. I've tried defragging that didn't work. I'm copying over the files to my harddrive to try that. This is frustrating. I've played the game for years with no problems suddenly I reinstall it again Im getting this error, why now? Why all the sudden?
  • Options
    dollygirl999dollygirl999 Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    Ok so I had late night for awhile .. and I try to install it and I keep getting the crc. I tried everything on this forum and nothing works. :cry:
    Now I'm freaking out cause I feel like I waisted $50. :(
  • Options
    Pranav0512Pranav0512 Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Screw this im having problem too its like saying giving $70 for breathing ive tried heaps of usggestios and nothing works i been clicking retry for 3 hours and the installtion still didnt finish HELP ME i keep getting that "file name date error cylinc redunency check at beggining of installation and when thers 3 bars till completed
  • Options
    DomingoiceDomingoice Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    My solution: clean the disc. Dish soap always works for me. I figure if its soft enough to clean your fine china without screwing it up it should work on a cd too. Just be sure to use a soft cloth or the soft side of the sponge - GENTLY. Afterward my CRC error was GONE & install was PERFECT! No defrag needed although its a healthy monthly routine for the pc. =)
  • Options
    lollipopsrgood23lollipopsrgood23 Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    I just defragmented my disk space for nothing. I knew that wasn't the solution because this is a brand new Windows 7 computer. I've played all the sims before, the first one sims, sims 2, and sims 3 since it came out. I put it on my other windows computer and worked perfectly fine. I got a new laptop and tried to install it and so I defragmented my disk space.. and it didn't work. It just doesn't make any sense at all becasue my older sister has sims 3 on her windows 7 computer and a whole bunch of people online say it works good for them too, so every time I install it (I'vv tried about 5 times) it says this: File E:\Caches\SunsetValley.objectCache Error: The device is not ready. Help me please.
  • Options
    SimGuru_GambitSimGuru_Gambit Posts: 234 SimGuru (retired)
    edited August 2011
    Hi lollipopsrgood23,

First, ensure that the game disc is not damaged or dirty. Cleaning the disc and the DVD drive using a cleaning kit may help. Scan and defrag the hard drive if necessary. For your specific issue, please refer to the following FAQ:

Why do I receive a 'Transfer Error' or 'Cyclic Redundancy Check' error when trying to install?
    http://help.thesims.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2063

For those using the digital download version of the game, the CRC issue can also be caused by a bad installer setup that was corrupted somehow during the remote file transfer. You will need to clear the Origin (EADM) cache and download the game again without interruption, in that case.

If none of the above works, the following may also be of help to you:

Perform a Clean Boot:

Note: If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps. We strongly recommend that you do not use the System Configuration utility to modify the advanced boot options on the computer.

1. Click the Start button.
    2. Type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box that comes up.
    3. Press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.

*For those on Windows XP

•Click Start.
    •Click Run.
    •Type msconfig, and then click OK.

The System Configuration Utility dialog box should be displayed

4. On the Services tab, select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

Note: Following this step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.

5. On the Startup tab, click Disable all to eliminate all start up programs in the background upon restart.

6. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Please post back if the issue persists.

- Gambit -
  • Options
    dollygirl999dollygirl999 Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    It works perfectly smooth on my laptop ,and there is nothing wrong with my drive because every other disc it will read it and no crc ever pops up.
  • Options
    Tallen13Tallen13 Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    Hello there! So I had Sims 3 late night installed on my old computer and it worked fine, i got a brand new laptop, tried to install, and now i keep getting this notification! I tried to copy files and launch it from my hard drive but it did not work, what can i do?!
  • Options
    zachers7zachers7 Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    i had the same exact issue. the crc error refers to a hardware failure. particularly the dvd-rom drive. which results in a faulty download. sometimes you can copy the contents of the disc over to the hardrive and download it that way (still need the disc to play). But when that doesnt work you can download the EA Download Manager otherwise known now as Origin. ps. you have to install the app on your computer. you can then set up an account and find your game and use the product key to download the game.(WARNING: download may or may not take several hours to download)some people have said that it can be your registry. i have avg pc tune-up and i did a registry clean with that and it was a lost cause. if that doesnt work then you may not have the right requirements for the game. hope this helps somewhat. :)
  • Options
    superstar0099superstar0099 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited September 2011
    im haveing the same problem as everyone else only i cant even get into the instalation prosecess please help me
  • Options
    MoiraWabyMoiraWaby Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    :) :)thanks for all the help it has really help me out thanks so much :):):):):):):):):):):) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
  • Options
    koalaexpertkoalaexpert Posts: 24
    edited September 2011
    I really need help with this issue. I've been trying to install Ambitions for about 10 hours (no exaggeration there) and still have nothing.

I've done everything, updating my DVD drive's firmware, defragmenting my hard drive, cleaning the disk, deleting all of my mods, and trying to copy the game to my computer and installing it there (the file that is causing this problem, FullBuild_p04, will not copy).

I'd try to download it off of EADM (Origin) but it won't let me do it for free because the code, for some reason, is not able to be registered on this website. I've also tried copying the file of question from my friends computer but I have no way to get it onto mine because all methods of transportation I have do not allow files of that size. Can somebody please help me? :?
  • Options
    AbbeyKymAbbeyKym Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    when i do this im having to skip the fullbuild packages what else can i do?
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top