Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Monthly livestream, are they essentials for you ?

Comments

• Options
    BelongtoLCMSBelongtoLCMS Posts: 125 Member
    No
    I am still waiting for actual improvement to gameplay features rather than just making the background look nice. Starting to wonder if that will ever happen.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    No
    I never remember that they exist at all.
    If I want Sims on Youtube, I watch Deligracy, Sim Supply or The English Simmer.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I don't know
    EA_Mage wrote: »
    Folks, how about we see what these streams will be like before we make any judgment :)

SimGurus are trying to communicate with the community more and trying out different ways to do it.

Let's give them a chance, please :smile:

Got it. But communicate when there's nothing to communicate it's totally useless. I hope there will always be something cool to talk about.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2018
    I don't know
    Folks, how about we see what these streams will be like before we make any judgment :)

SimGurus are trying to communicate with the community more and trying out different ways to do it.

EXACTLY!!!! How can anyone judge the unknown? I am very interested in engaging with the devs. People who are not are not obligated - but to me it sounds like an opportunity as well as the devs really trying to reach out. Besides they made the game - and who knows maybe you'll see something in this opportunity you may have missed. Plus with them playing - they may see issues they miss when testing - if they play much like we do.

There is definitely a benefit for devs to actually see an unplanned issue jump up and bite them - like players see - so it makes getting a fix that much quicker.

I voted I don't know seeing I don't know something that has not happened yet. Why view the opportunity as negative before we've even engaged in this manor?

I am with EA Mage on this - for sure and look forward to these.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    I don't know
    Them doing monthly livestreams tells me they will not focus on what I see as important about the game. That they will play around instead of fixing bugs. By the way, the few livestreams I did view, the team gave off a very negative impression to me. Because of that, I will never watch their livestreams.

The ones that actually fix the bugs are a different team - you know.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,235 Member
    edited August 2018
    No
    @Writin_Reg

But you already know if you usually look at the livestream or not no matter the theme.

Some people likes to know better the SimGurus, they are more interested by the livestream.

Other people only want announcement of new pack but Maxis already told some quarter could get no paid content, in that case monthly livestreams are less interesting for these persons.

But don't worry this poll impact is null because only the number of viewers will count at the end.
    Just it gives a preview of what think a small sample of the players.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    No
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

EXACTLY!!!! How can anyone judge the unknown? I am very interested in engaging with the devs. People who are not are not obligated - but to me it sounds like an opportunity as well as the devs really trying to reach out. Besides they made the game - and who knows maybe you'll see something in this opportunity you may have missed. Plus with them playing - they may see issues they miss when testing - if they play much like we do.

There is definitely a benefit for devs to actually see an unplanned issue jump up and bite them - like players see - so it makes getting a fix that much quicker.

I voted I don't know seeing I don't know something that has not happened yet. Why view the opportunity as negative before we've even engaged in this manor?

I’ve never been interested in developers directly communicating with me. In fact I didn’t even know any simgurus (or that they existed for that matter) untill I started to be active here (which was in 2013, four years after falling in love with the game) so yes, I can make that judgement for myself. To each their own but live streams are not my thing, like Let’s Plays are not my thing, regardless what they will contain. I’m only interested in adjustments that concern content, gameplay, and live streams are not the way I need them to be presented because they take way more time than I’m prepared to spend on it. Just share the memo and I’ll be fine. This doesn’t mean I think it’s a bad idea in general, when enough people do appreciate it they should continue. But this is a poll, asking how we as individuals think about them.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I don't know
    @Writin_Reg

But you already know if you usually look at the livestream or not no matter the theme.

Some people likes to know better the SimGurus, they are more interested by the livestream.

Other people only want announcement of new pack but Maxis already told some quarter could get no paid content, in that case monthly livestreams are less interesting for these persons.

But don't worry this poll impact is null because only the number of viewers will count at the end.
    Just it gives a preview of what think a small sample of the players.

Oh - I understand - but they did say they would still be showing new stuff as well (when there is new stuff they can show)- not just playing the game. They are giving us more info - not less in my view. Of course it may just be the way I understood what they said they are doing - and it may or may not be right. We really can't know until it happens. Also keep in mind no one has to engage if they prefer not to either. But people did complain of lack of communication - so the devs have came up with a solution by doing this. They are still subjected to all EA's rules regarding disclosure of new or future content which they will never be able to violate - but on the other hand they are trying to share. I really don't see what more they can do within the rules they have no choice but follow.

As for knowing the Guru's better - well we know a lot of them pretty darn well if you consider many have been around and making the Sims through all of Sims 3 and 4, and even some from Sims 2 - Like Grant - and even a few from Sims 1 - Lyndsay and Jill for sure.

This new direction can also add to knowing them better as well - but I do believe them playing the game as we do - will perhaps allow them to catch some issues in action - and I see it more positive to be playing and not just testing. This will allow them to do both with many more people watching as well.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited August 2018
    No
    @Writin_Reg

I'm not sure people complained about the 10 seconds of teaser posted every quarter.

In "lack of communication" I understand "silence about the upcoming content".
    I think the feelings of "lack of communication" won't go as long as they can't tell what will happen in the next months.

But maybe I'm wrong.
  • Options
    I don't know
    @Writin_Reg

I'm not sure people complained about the 10 seconds of teaser posted every quarter.

In "lack of communication" I understand "silence about the upcoming content".
    I think the feelings of "lack of communication" won't go as long as they can't tell what will happen in the next months.

But maybe I'm wrong.

We only had that for a year and it was SG Drakes idea - she ran the show on the sneak peek. When she left - well it left too. So they needed to come up with something else or got back to silence.

I am just like all of you and do miss the old days of the Sims where we could see what was coming months in advance on previous game boxes - but that is no longer possible no matter how much we miss that.

In my view they are trying within the limits they are allowed.

I can understand not liking the idea of something and no one has to be a part of that - but at least we need to give it a fair trial - don't you think?

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited August 2018
    No
    @Writin_Reg

2 years, quarterly teasers began with GP03 Dine Out in 2016.

In 2015, we got new content every month.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Yes
    For me Its not essential but I voted yes because they are trying different ways to communicate. I would rather see them use different ways of communications and find the best one rather than sticking into one. People complain how sometimes livestreams are so boring, so this could help them improve their skill.

A bit off topic but didn't gurus on different Q and A sessions, Different tweets, forum post, and SimGuruDrake explained to us why they don't want to announce something in advance? I recently just saw a tweet from SimGuruKate days weeks ago on why they decided to share public roadmap about the game, so why is this roadmap or announce packs in works early still an issue?
  • Options
    I don't know
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I’ve never been interested in developers directly communicating with me. In fact I didn’t even know any simgurus (or that they existed for that matter) until I started to be active here (which was in 2013, four years after falling in love with the game) so yes, I can make that judgement for myself. To each their own but live streams are not my thing, like Let’s Plays are not my thing, regardless what they will contain. I’m only interested in adjustments that concern content, gameplay, and live streams are not the way I need them to be presented because they take way more time than I’m prepared to spend on it. Just share the memo and I’ll be fine. This doesn’t mean I think it’s a bad idea in general, when enough people do appreciate it they should continue. But this is a poll, asking how we as individuals think about them.

I get that JoAnne - there are many more players who have played the games for ever even they never even come to the forums or anywhere - never mind engage with all the dev's. So can definitely understand that no matter how long or short you have been a simmer. In my case I was pulled in before Sims ever started for pre-testing the Original game back in 1999. I had been an avid Sim City player since the first game - and how I even got connected to the Sims before it was out. I also felt right at home with even Will Wright and others on the team because back in those days communication was different - through the snail mail - long telephone calls - early email but only between tester and Maxis - lol.

Then when Sims Online happened - I got picked again - and accepted (I really never liked Online at all - but totally loved The Sims the first day - LOL).

But perhaps because I got to know the people working on the games before they were even out there - even long distance - I have always enjoyed even little conversations with the devs. I suppose I saw them different - not as just people doing a job - but people doing something they loved and wanted everyone to love it too. With many of the devs it goes deep - I know this - so I sort of view them perhaps different. It's not just a job it a creation that carries a bit of their heart and soul in everything they do with it. What they do with video games is often what artist do with what they create. It is art - not just developers, etc - it's so much more.

So to me - yeah I do like to know these people - as it really is more than just a game. I am sure they are often more frustrated than the players when issues happen. It's sad to me - that so many people cannot see this.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited August 2018
    No
    I am just like all of you and do miss the old days of the Sims where we could see what was coming months in advance on previous game boxes - but that is no longer possible no matter how much we miss that.

Honestly I don't remember since The Sims 2 Store beta began to release Exclusive Collections every month and TS3 Store followed the same way and worse with 2 updates each month.

For years EA had put pressure on the consumers and now that's the side effect people wants monthly content.

Another thing, several players began with The Sims 3, they never knew "the old days".

I can understand not liking the idea of something and no one has to be a part of that - but at least we need to give it a fair trial - don't you think?

4 SimGurus who told nothing new about the Gallery during 30 min, it was a little too much.
    In fact, the Patch Notes and SimGuruKate's post gave all the informations.

The Gallery Update livestream wasn't a good example as a start, just we can wish that will be better the next time.

Sure, at least we can give it a trial.

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    No

I’ve never been interested in developers directly communicating with me. In fact I didn’t even know any simgurus (or that they existed for that matter) until I started to be active here (which was in 2013, four years after falling in love with the game) so yes, I can make that judgement for myself. To each their own but live streams are not my thing, like Let’s Plays are not my thing, regardless what they will contain. I’m only interested in adjustments that concern content, gameplay, and live streams are not the way I need them to be presented because they take way more time than I’m prepared to spend on it. Just share the memo and I’ll be fine. This doesn’t mean I think it’s a bad idea in general, when enough people do appreciate it they should continue. But this is a poll, asking how we as individuals think about them.

I get that JoAnne - there are many more players who have played the games for ever even they never even come to the forums or anywhere - never mind engage with all the dev's. So can definitely understand that no matter how long or short you have been a simmer. In my case I was pulled in before Sims ever started for pre-testing the Original game back in 1999. I had been an avid Sim City player since the first game - and how I even got connected to the Sims before it was out. I also felt right at home with even Will Wright and others on the team because back in those days communication was different - through the snail mail - long telephone calls - early email but only between tester and Maxis - lol.

Then when Sims Online happened - I got picked again - and accepted (I really never liked Online at all - but totally loved The Sims the first day - LOL).

But perhaps because I got to know the people working on the games before they were even out there - even long distance - I have always enjoyed even little conversations with the devs. I suppose I saw them different - not as just people doing a job - but people doing something they loved and wanted everyone to love it too. With many of the devs it goes deep - I know this - so I sort of view them perhaps different. It's not just a job it a creation that carries a bit of their heart and soul in everything they do with it. What they do with video games is often what artist do with what they create. It is art - not just developers, etc - it's so much more.

So to me - yeah I do like to know these people - as it really is more than just a game. I am sure they are often more frustrated than the players when issues happen. It's sad to me - that so many people cannot see this.
    To clarify, I do like it I know who the gurus are now. Like, I love it to know now who were the people who have been working on WA for example, because that pack is so dear to me and of course it’s nice to know who exactly made it happen (it doesn’t mean I enjoy WA more than I used to when I didn’t know, it means I’m sort of able to canalize my appreciation for the pack now towards creators in my mind, which makes it more personal). So I definitely understand that part. I just like to clarify that my ‘no’ doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate this new way of communicating. My no is strictly a personal no to live streams and let’s plays in general. And it might be for other voters as well. So I don’t think they should automatically interprete the poll results as a “we don’t appreciate your efforts”. That’s not what the no means for me in any case ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    sikasika18sikasika18 Posts: 343 Member
    edited August 2018
    Yes
    I accidentaly voted yes but but meant to vote no as I don't want to continue my support for the game anymore.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I don't know

To clarify, I do like it I know who the gurus are now. Like, I love it to know now who were the people who have been working on WA for example, because that pack is so dear to me and of course it’s nice to know who exactly made it happen (it doesn’t mean I enjoy WA more than I used to when I didn’t know, it means I’m sort of able to canalize my appreciation for the pack now towards creators in my mind, which makes it more personal). So I definitely understand that part. I just like to clarify that my ‘no’ doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate this new way of communicating. My no is strictly a personal no to live streams and let’s plays in general. And it might be for other voters as well. So I don’t think they should automatically interprete the poll results as a “we don’t appreciate your efforts”. That’s not what the no means for me in any case ;)

Grant, Graham, Sarah Holding, and Lyndsay was part of that Team - but here is the credits for that game listing all the people that worked on it:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/sims-3-world-adventures/credits

Sims teams are huge. LOL. Many of these people are still at Maxis and still make the Sims. LOL. Lots of good people for sure.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    No
    I want quarterly teasers back and I am happy with the amount of Twitter communication. Why ruin a good thing?
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • Options
    I don't know
    I want quarterly teasers back and I am happy with the amount of Twitter communication. Why ruin a good thing?

The person who ran the quarterly teasers moved across country and is no longer at EA. She works elsewhere. So they stopped when she left - period. So now the new person is doing something else.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    No
    The livestreams aren't essential for me because I usually am at work when they're on. When I try to watch the replay later I lose interest because I have a hard time hearing them even with my volume cranked up (maybe they need to wear microphones?). Plus, I rarely watch livestreams of any kind anyway because the camera moving around the game will give me a headache and a bit of motion sickness. But, I do like the written recap, that helps me to know what's going on with the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    No
    @Writin_Reg @BrokenChaos69

I don't think the things would be different if SimGuruDrake was still here.

The Sims Studio changed their way to release the pack, as they explain some quarters will get no paid content.

We don't know why they change it but the reasons could be :
    • wait for Console team
    • improve and fix the game
    • release less Stuff Packs

The studio isn't erratic, when they do something it's always for good reasons.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I don't know

The Sims Studio changed their way to release the pack, as they explain some quarters will get no paid content.

• wait for Console team

I follow everything to do with the devs, Maxis, and the game - so it does not matter to me. I was just answering another simmer. But the sneak peek was SG Drakes idea. Before her we had the Q & A's. There were blogs before that. There was meet the devs and even another round of Q & A's.

I always enjoy what ever form of sharing they do. I like info direct from the ones who make the game. I don't find fault when they are at least trying. I like seeing them on twitter or the forum. Not an issue. In fact I cannot understand when anyone has issues with getting info - but to each their own. LOL.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    No

• wait for Console team

I follow everything to do with the devs, Maxis, and the game - so it does not matter to me. I was just answering another simmer. But the sneak peek was SG Drakes idea. Before her we had the Q & A's. There were blogs before that. There was meet the devs and even another round of Q & A's.

I always enjoy what ever form of sharing they do. I like info direct from the ones who make the game. I don't find fault when they are at least trying. I like seeing them on twitter or the forum. Not an issue. In fact I cannot understand when anyone has issues with getting info - but to each their own. LOL.
    And you may (enjoy whatever form of sharing they do) but others may have different opinions about that. They may not enjoy whatever form of sharing. That is not the same as finding fault, the poll question was if you find it essential and some do not find this form essential.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    No
    Cynna wrote: »
    Nope.

I don't need that level of contact. My needs are very simple -- please provide a game that's fun and it works. Do those two things and I'd be throwing my money at you. There'd be no need to woo me with...extras. :D

I remember the days of TS2. All I got was a little flyer in the current EP. It told me what was coming down the line, roughly when it was coming, and I was fine with that.

EA is now using Twitter, Twitch, and goodness knows what else. However, it doesn't need to be that complicated. It really doesn't. Just one word of what you're working on is enough.

EA's secrecy is what is creating the perceived communication issues. They had a live stream today and the gurus still couldn't give all the deets on what they're working on. ::sigh:: I don't see how monthly streams with "We can't tell you right now, but it's going to be good", are going to help.

Yes!! This is exactly how I feel.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    No
    Essential? No
    Welcomed? Yes
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.