Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Something to think about (regarding My First Pet Stuff)

Comments

• Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    edited March 2018
    I wish the robot vacuum had been omitted, it has no place in my game and it probably means we’ll never get a proper one.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Simanite wrote: »
    I wish the robot vacuum had been omitted, it has no place in my game and it probably means we’ll never get a proper one.

It would probably take forever for a Sim to vaccum a whole house tbh.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    If you watched a bunch of ads to get the points, then you spent time instead of money. Time is also a valued resource. (Just ask anyone who plays mobile games, and if they've ever seen mircotransactions that allow things to speed up or happen instantly, lol.)

Yes, time is an valued resource but if one has nothing but time why not get simoleons for free. What you see as wasted time, others see differently and you are earning something. :)
    And I didn’t spend time ‘watching’ those ads. They were running in another tab while I was on these forums.

Did the same thing :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    For me I will not buy the pet stuff pack only because it's useless to me. I don't care about my cats wearing dresses and dogs wearing costumes. We already have little sweaters we can put on them without the pack. And animal furniture? Don't care about that either.

I would have been all over this pack if it had decent small animals, but from what I've read it seems to only be hamsters and rats...nothing interesting. I loved the birds and snakes from sims 3. They should have been more creative with small animals.

Imo, this is a dead pack.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2018
    Simanite wrote: »

I disagree. I like it and enjoy having it.

My sims do not do menial tasks anymore than they have to. A Rhomba does the work for them and sims cats enjoy the ride. It makes me laugh - so do real life ones.

I draw the line on that kind of real life being totally infiltrated into my gaming time - seeing I have no choice but have it (housework) all in my real life.

It's an object I like and one you do not. It is your choice to have it in your sims house or not, but if it was not in the game, then I lose period as my choice to have it would be gone.

People wanted laundry - I didn't but i bought the pack for the community making it together with Graham and for the other stuff.

I don't mind laundry stuff in the pack - I like the idea I do not have to put it in my sims homes though. I like the option - that way people who want it can have it in their sims home. I would never say it should not be there just because I don't like it.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

My sims do not do menial tasks anymore than they have to. A Rhomba does the work for them and sims cats enjoy the ride. It makes me laugh - so do real life ones.

I draw the line on real life being totally infiltrated into my gaming time - seeing I have no choice but have it all in my real life.

It's an object I like and one you do not. It is your choice to have it in your sims house, but if it was not in the game, then I lose period as my choice to have it would be gone.

People wanted laundry - I didn't but i bought the pack for the community making it together with Graham and for the other stuff.

I don't mind laundry stuff in the pack - I like the idea I do not have to put it in my sims homes though. I like the option - that way people who want it can have it in their sims home. I would never say it should not be there just because I don't like it.

Some people's real lives are not so great. For those people, having something that can replicate real life to its fullest is everything.
  • Options
    Caitie85Caitie85 Posts: 156 Member
    I’m sorry, but there is a reason we have never gotten a full on farming pack. That reason is due to demand, and how such a pack would have incredibly limited appeal. They have the numbers already with Sims 3 store. Could we see something along the lines of what Sims 3 store offered? Yeah, anything bigger or deeper is going to throw a lot of people off the hype train.

Just jumping into a semi-old post to say that that isn't true. A farming expansion pack has been a popular request item since Sims 1. Also, iirc, the "farming" themed store items were popular. So popular that modders have converted the chicken coop and cow to be deco items for Sims 4. Other than the Bohemian Garden set, I don't know of any other Sims 3 store items that have been converted for Sims 4. And deco animals are always very popular, sometimes focusing on wild animals but usually focused on farm animals. And, honestly? Outside of the Simming world? Growing your own food and keeping chickens and living as close to nature as possible is very popular right now. A farming expansion pack (or game pack) would sell very well imo.
    Kickin' back in Sulani.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2018
    No one raised a 'stink' because Store Content in TS3 are extras and not stuff packs. It's like buying custom content, that is the essence of the TS3 store. And the DLC for DLC stuff pack requires I have an EP if I want to use all the content in it. If I don't have C&D then I don't get any benefit out of a new pet bowl recolor and pet clothes. For the first time ever, I needed an EP to get full benefit out of a stuff pack. That is the difference. TS3's store was like buying all the custom content I could find but paying EA instead of TSR paysite. Paysites must die. I will never pay for CC. However, I was willing to fork out a few dollars (not many) for content from the TS3 store. I will not pay for DLC for DLC which requires I have an EP or other pack to be able to use all the content in the DLC.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited April 2018
    Why I’m angry: I have to pay 10 bucks for EACH small pet!

-$10 for a rabbit
    -$10 for a lizard
    -$10 for a bird
    -$10 for a snake
    -$10 for a ferret
    -And so on...

That would be so ridiculous, and I hope that is the not future patterns for the Packs after this disappointing rip-off stuff pack.

In past Sims games, we got some small pets ALONGSIDE dogs, cats, (and even horses in Sims 3)!

What a rip.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    No one raised a 'stink' because Store Content in TS3 are extras and not stuff packs. It's like buying custom content, that is the essence of the TS3 store. And the DLC for DLC stuff pack requires I have an EP if I want to use all the content in it. If I don't have C&D then I don't get any benefit out of a new pet bowl recolor and pet clothes. For the first time ever, I needed an EP to get full benefit out of a stuff pack. That is the difference. TS3's store was like buying all the custom content I could find but paying EA instead of TSR paysite. Paysites must die. I will never pay for CC. However, I was willing to fork out a few dollars (not many) for content from the TS3 store. I will not pay for DLC for DLC which requires I have an EP or other pack to be able to use all the content in the DLC.

That is it all in an nutshell and it was done that way strategically to get some people to buy that EP because the SP has inflated value being if you do not have the EP you do not have access to all items in the SP and to gain access to the extra items you have to buy the EP. However, you can't take EA/Maxis methods at face value you have look between the lines in a way it is like modified loot boxes Some can argue about the Store method but as you said the Store was an side business, a business that did not require you to buy an EP or SP to use items from the store.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    soko37 wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

I draw the line on real life being totally infiltrated into my gaming time - seeing I have no choice but have it all in my real life.

It's an object I like and one you do not. It is your choice to have it in your sims house, but if it was not in the game, then I lose period as my choice to have it would be gone.

Some people's real lives are not so great. For those people, having something that can replicate real life to its fullest is everything.

Exactly - and why I like the options so I can have my game my way, and others also have the option to have their game their way. If objects are not in the game - then no one has any options. I will not ever refuse to buy a pack because the pack includes some content I may not want (like the washer and dryer) - as long as it also has in it content I do want (like all the rest of the content - especially the decor, rugs and wicker furniture - which I love).

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Cinebar wrote: »

That's your perspective, Stuff Packs are extras too.

And there was DLC for DLC on The Sims 3 store too, just saying. So if you're angry at this, you can't then say it was alright in The Sims 3.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    jackjack_k wrote: »

And there was DLC for DLC on The Sims 3 store too, just saying. So if you're angry at this, you can't then say it was alright in The Sims 3.

There is an difference with the store and the SP that is in question. It all goes back to requiring an certain pack if you wish to buy the MSFP and you must have the pack to utilize 100% of the pack. If you did not your percentage of utilizing items went down and for me that is different than the store. You can in the store buy individual items and the SP it is all or nothing and if I buy the SP and do not have the EP do I get $10 worth of items that I can use? No, because now you have to spend $19.99 and add the cost of the SP you spend close to $30.00 for both. This method in how EA/Maxis went about this has raised eyebrows more than the store for again you did not have to buy an whole set and in some cases it was subsidized by sales, earn Sim points but you do not with Sims 4 packs. I agree the store was expensive but it wasn't mandatory to shop in it. For me SIms 3 was about the features that Sims 4 does not have and in Sims 4 place you have items to replace features. I do not care about emotions or lot traits for that is meanless to me and some of the times emotions is bugged. However as you say it is about one's perspective and for me I will not support EA/Maxis new way of doing business.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    edited April 2018
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

There is an difference with the store and the SP that is in question. It all goes back to requiring an certain pack if you wish to buy the MSFP and you must have the pack to utilize 100% of the pack. If did not your percentage of utilizing items went down and for me that is different than the store. You can in the store buy individual and the SP it is all or nothing and if I buy the SP and do not have the EP do I get $10 worth of items that I can use? No, because now you have to spend $19.99 and add the cost of the SP you spend close to $30.00 for both. This method in how EA/Maxis went about this has raised eyebrows more than the store for again you did not have to buy an whole set and in some cases it was subsidized by sales, earn Sim points but you do not with Sims 4 packs. I agree the store was expensive but it wasn't mandatory to shop in it. For me SIms 3 was about the features that Sims 4 does not have and in Sims 4 place you have items to replace features. I do not care about emotions or lot traits for that is meanless to me and some of the times emotions is bugged. However as you say it is about one's perspective and for me I will not support EA/Maxis new way of doing business.

Exactly, yes... you nailed that right on the head.

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    If MFP hadn't included the C&D related content (pet objects and CAS), would people feel better about the pack?
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    If MFP hadn't included the C&D related content (pet objects and CAS), would people feel better about the pack?

I suspect so.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2018
    If it would have included different stuff instead it at least wouldn’t have been a DLC for DLC pack. But I think people are mad about the small animals not being in the EP and the furniture that clearly is part of the same set as in C&D as well.

Yeah, you keep just saying this, while people keep explaining to you (like Goldmoldar now) that that is really not comparable. Sims 4 SP’s aren’t extras. With 4 EP’s, 6 GP’s and 14 SP’s they’re much more than ‘an extra’. They’re 63% of all extra content offered.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    If it would have included different stuff instead it at least wouldn’t have been a DLC for DLC pack. But I think people are mad about the small animals not being in the EP and the furniture that clearly is part of the same set as in C&D as well.
    I agree that the problem seems to be that people still hasn’t accepted that EA now is making both fewer EPs and the remaining EPs smaller than previous EPs. But I don’t think that EA ever will reverse that change.

Yeah, you keep just saying this, while people keep explaining to you (like Goldmoldar now) that that is really not comparable. Sims 4 SP’s aren’t extras. With 4 EP’s, 6 GP’s and 14 SP’s they’re much more than ‘an extra’. They’re 63% of all extra content offered.
    The Sims 3 Store could maybe be seen as extras. But the Sims 4 SPs are clearly meant to be replacements for EPs (just like the GPs also are).
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    edited April 2018
    Erpe wrote: »
    I agree that the problem seems to be that people still hasn’t accepted that EA now is making both fewer EPs and the remaining EPs smaller than previous EPs. But I don’t think that EA ever will reverse that change.

The Sims 3 Store could maybe be seen as extras. But the Sims 4 SPs are clearly meant to be replacements for EPs (just like the GPs also are).

But Erpe why should people accept it, I think a clear message was sent to them with My First Pet and Toddlers etc. Maybe they tested the waters and were surprised at the backlash they received and hopefully will continue to receive, after all plummeting sales make stockholders nervous...
  • Options

But Erpe why should people accept it, I think a clear message was sent to them with My First Pet and Toddlers etc. Maybe they tested the waters and were surprised at the backlash they received and hopefully will continue to receive, after all plummeting sales make stockholders nervous...
    “Vote with your wallet and not with your mouth!” This is an old truth that has been mentioned many times and for all games - not just for EA games or Sims games.

The problem has many times been that people send mixed signals to the game companies when they protest in forums and other places but still just buy the games. This only has the effect that the game companies have stopped listening to opinions from gamers and look at the sales numbers instead.

Toddlers were different because the missing toddlers were also mentioned in all game reviews and this seemed to affect the sales numbers badly. So EA became desperate and decided to make the toddlers anyway. But this hasn’t happened at all in other cases. So it was only an exception.

My First Pet Stuff will likely just sell as well as other SPs anyway - and then EA won’t care. But even so I wouldn’t expect EA to make other SPs that depend on an EP or a GP. The reason is that doing this reduces the number of possible customers for such a SP because not everybody also have the previous EP or GP.
  • Options
    But MFP and it's backlash has been in media and you honestly cant tell me they haven't a clue of the hornets nest they poked when they released MFP
  • Options
    But MFP and it's backlash has been in media and you honestly cant tell me they haven't a clue of the hornets nest they poked when they released MFP
    I think that they badly needed an idea for the next SP and then read threads like https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/925515/small-pets/p1 Then they likely realized that small pets would be ideal for the new gameplay in a SP and Pets has always been very popular in Sims games. Also simmers who didn’t care about cats and dogs wouldn’t likely buy such a SP anyway. So they likely just decided to make MFP as an exception even though they usually won’t make SPs that depend on earlier packs.

I expect most simmers to buy MFP anyway because I don’t think that simmers are unhappy because they got more pets and more pets stuff but just a little angry because they were disappointed that this SP wasn’t just included as a part of Cats&Dogs. But simmers likely need to adjust to the fact that EA won’t make huge EPs anymore but likely soon won’t make any packs that are bigger than a GP. So it is IMO just a lot of fuss about nothing.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    No they would plan SP's many many months ahead with concept, design, legals, testing, promotion, press releases etc. They had this as part of C&D and decided to release it separately. Even if I were to entertain the dubious possibility that it wasn't planned then its too late to sway the bad press they generated
  • Options
    No they would plan SP's many many months ahead with concept, design, legals, testing, promotion, press releases etc. They had this as part of C&D and decided to release it separately. Even if I were to entertain the dubious possibility that it wasn't planned then its too late to sway the bad press they generated
    Remember the votings about the next SP? Those votings didn’t happen very long before the SPs that won most votes were released. EA changes plans much more often than simmers usually think and also many times while a new game is under development. This has been the case both for the basegames, the packs and also for the Sims Mobile while it was soft launched and we therefore could observe all the many changes. So EA just experiments a lot instead of following some long time plans.
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member

This.

I don't accept it. I don't buy it because I don't accept it. I love this series and I don't mind change if that change is for the better but more times than not during The Sims 4 change hasn't been good.

I, for the most part, like to think along the lines of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' but changes like improvements for the better and progression are fine. Content wise, fixes and improvements were definitely needed and I respect and even like some of what they did and tried to do. The old way of doing things pack wise wasn't broken though, and I don't think the current way they're doing it improves or progresses anything in an overall good way.

If they said they planned to do away with SP's and just do EP's, I would've been disappointed but I wouldn't have minded as much. If they said they were going to do a Sims 4 Store, it would have to be improved from The Sims 3 Store, more affordable and all content decent at least. When they said they'd add GP's I was a bit skeptical, in part because SP's and EP's are already packs for the game, why add another pack, but I was willing to be proven wrong. But with its addition combined with the changes to what EP's and SP's have become is not a better system to me. It's just spreading out content over a two or three packs when it used to be that a combination of two to three packs in TS4 would equal one EP of better quality in TS3, TS2, or TS1.
    “Vote with your wallet and not with your mouth!” This is an old truth that has been mentioned many times and for all games - not just for EA games or Sims games.

The problem has many times been that people send mixed signals to the game companies when they protest in forums and other places but still just buy the games. This only has the effect that the game companies have stopped listening to opinions from gamers and look at the sales numbers instead.

I won't lie, it kinda blows when I see other people talking about how much they hate things being this way, how they hate the way packs are being done but they have to buy it because... I've heard it all. I'm a collector... It has this one item/feature... I have to buy everything Sims... I NEED something new to do in my game... they won't make a Sims 5 if we don't support 4... etc. etc.

I'm not going to tell anyone how to spend their money, and judging from a lot of the comments I've seen on different sites from people who say those things they already know the answer, but how is EA ever going to grasp that there's a problem if people who think there is a problem still purchase what in essence is the problem? They're not, but it's up to each player, if they take issue with The Sims 4, to decide what their redline is and clearly some of them haven't reached it yet regardless of what they may say.

In regards to the main topic, I think I've said this before somewhere. SP's do not equal to TS3's store when TS3 also had SP's. Even with this new way of them doing things, it still doesn't. Not to me. I'm not a collector who has to have everything but it's the closest way I can describe my feelings on it. The stuff packs and expansion packs felt more like the official Sims 3 releases, same for The Sims 2. I didn't have to have all of them but to complete the game but there's something about knowing that these are the packs for the game. I can count on one hand the number of times I went to The Sims 3 Store while the game was still releasing packs and that was only because they were giving me free simpoints but I didn't need anything from the store. The game provided plenty to keep me glued. The store was just extra stuff and they didn't have packs of store content to buy in stores beyond a few of the worlds. They decided to put out copies of this specific content in stuff packs and that ranks over a store set to me.

The Sims 3 Store wasn't fantastic by any means and it didn't matter like the packs do and that's why these packs in TS4 feel like a harder blow. It's one thing to just feel cheated by the store because it felt like extra content that didn't matter, it was easy to ignore. But by majority of the packs (and the base game too)? That matters to me.
    KqGXVAC.jpg