Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Something to think about (regarding My First Pet Stuff)

Comments

• Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited March 2018
    I don't agree with this practice.

Trouble is, I'm exactly the kind of person this pack is aimed at. I've already bought C&D and I love any kind of pet ideas. Also I watched the live-stream and the hamster is far more interactive than I expected. And the stuff in the pack is even better.

So, all I can do is voice my discontent as intelligently as possible because I know I'm going to get the pack. Not because I'm an idiot or I suck up to EA, but because I really have no choice but to pay for it if I want to have it, which is what ticks me off most.

Of course I'd wait for a sale, if I didn't know that since it's the most recent release it certainly won't be the next pack to go on sale and EA's sales are pretty rare anyway.

While C&D had plenty of stuff, it didn't have a wide choice of pet stuff. Basically, instead of reskinning chairs, tables and lamps, C&D should have reskinned the pet-specific items. And they could STILL have made this pack with all its kiddy-style pet chairs and desks and the Hamster. And it could have been marketed to the same pet-loving people and would still probably have made money without ticking people off so much.

As for the pet clothes... well, I'm not sure how to react to them, but if they're ''truly'' in addition to what we would normally get in an SP, they could have been a free download for anybody with C&D, rather than only in a paid pack.
    Post edited by Loanet on
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    I don't know much about TS3's store. Weren't most of the packs there $20? How much were individual items (if you could get them that way?)

S4's SPs are $10 and any single item within (gameplay or not) is literally only cents on the dollar. People go on and on about the 'value' of the SPs. I'm just curious what the 'value' is for the Store's packs too? Better? Worse? I mean in terms of individual items. I know most packs cost twice as much and most didn't have gameplay items, but I don't know how many were in a pack, or if individual items cost more than a dollar, that sort of thing?

(Not using this to compare back and forth to say one's better than the other, I'm just curious for my own curiousity's sake to try to figure out what is actually the better/worst value on the most objective level I can get, with as little subjectivity as possible.)

No, they really weren't. I don't remember actual costs, but since it used simpoints instead of actual dollars, and since something was always on sale, and since if you owned part of a set you would get a steep discount if not free, and sets included compilations, it was hard to pay full price to begin with, and you would get simpoints cheaper than a dollar a point provided you didn't just buy the cheapest (aka most expensive) option.

I got so many sets for free due to "complete your set" considering compilations sets, it was amusing. And if you looked on the forums, you'd see people showing what item to buy to make for a cascade effect of free or exceedingly low cost sets. So you buy one item, and you get a steep discount on a set, which is a part of a two set package, so you get that, and that's part of a compilation which is now free because you own so much of it.

Now, not everything was eligible for CYS, but really, the economics of it was far more complex. Even if you didn't try, all you had to do was buy simpoints in larger bundles than $20 and you're already no longer 1sp = $1.

Edit: The way I started with the exceedingly low cost store stuff was through simpoints I got through expansions. I'd only purchase the daily deal stuff, which was often 75% off for an item. I did buy simpoint bundles a couple of times, but again, using those tactics, I only needed to buy them a couple of times. Especially since you could watch ads for simpoints. Since my dad at the time I was doing this was very sick, I'd just be on my phone at the hospital, earning simpoints.

But I found that fun as well, figuring out how to get the most for the least at the store -- it was almost a game by itself.
    I had the majority of the store except for some clothes sets. I also got some of it free because someone gifted it to me but the store was a rip off.

No doubt, but it wasn't nearly as bad as $20 for a set or whatever. I mean, it probably could be though that number seems high; iirc sets normally cost about 1000 simpoints if, venues may have been 1500 simpoints, but really, paying full price would normally only happen if you had to buy the set immediately and not wait for CYS or for them to show up in a compilation.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Simanite wrote: »
    Actually, you could buy and use washers and dryers from the Store without having Ambitions, they were base game compatible. They were also in Town Life SP and University EP, which didn’t require Amb either.

That's because they patched them after the fuss was made. But in Sims 2 they did not patch my witches familiars and I had to buy Pets in order for my witch to have a familiar. On top of it my familiar in Apt. Life did not have the same programming as the Pets did, yet it required the pets ep for my witch to have it. So people fuss over this pack but not an ep that required another ep? I find that odd.

I didn't fuss then - even though I didn't want pets - and bought it anyway so my witch had her familiar. I like supernaturals better than regular sims - so did what I needed to do to have my game the way I wanted it, as i did not want to go with out. I did that often in Sims 2 and Sims 3, so why would I fuss about it now? SPs often need meshes from eps in Sims 2 and 3 - but needing an ep for an ep was far worse than this.
    So a fuss was made. Isn’t that the whole point of this topic, the assumption people accepted things in the past they are protesting about now? Apparently not then (if true, washers and dryers are at the bottom of my priority list so I have no idea).

Not sure what you mean by a familiar, you mean a cat? That’s correct, if you want to buy your sim a cat you’ll have to get Pets first. The fact those cats have a positive effect on particular sims (it’s like that in TS3 which is why I assume that is what you mean, please correct me if I’m wrong) is EP’s supporting each other, linking two features together. Not quite the same thing as needing two packs to get all the content that should have been - and would perfectly fit - in one EP.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    lele62lele62 Posts: 157 Member
    edited March 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Actually, you could buy and use washers and dryers from the Store without having Ambitions, they were base game compatible. They were also in Town Life SP and University EP, which didn’t require Amb either.

That's because they patched them after the fuss was made. But in Sims 2 they did not patch my witches familiars and I had to buy Pets in order for my witch to have a familiar. On top of it my familiar in Apt. Life did not have the same programming as the Pets did, yet it required the pets ep for my witch to have it. So people fuss over this pack but not an ep that required another ep? I find that odd.

I didn't fuss then - even though I didn't want pets - and bought it anyway so my witch had her familiar. I like supernaturals better than regular sims - so did what I needed to do to have my game the way I wanted it, as i did not want to go with out. I did that often in Sims 2 and Sims 3, so why would I fuss about it now? SPs often need meshes from eps in Sims 2 and 3 - but needing an ep for an ep was far worse than this.
    So a fuss was made. Isn’t that the whole point of this topic, the assumption people accepted things in the past they are protesting about now? Apparently not then (if true, washers and dryers are at the bottom of my priority list so I have no idea).

Not sure what you mean by a familiar, you mean a cat? That’s correct, if you want to buy your sim a cat you’ll have to get Pets first. The fact those cats have a positive effect on particular sims (it’s like that in TS3 which is why I assume that is what you mean, please correct me if I’m wrong) is EP’s supporting each other, linking two features together. Not quite the same thing as needing two packs to get all the content that should have been - and would perfectly fit - in one EP.

A familiar is a special pet, usually a cat, of a witch. They have an extra special relationship. Normally, in Wicca and other Pagan religions, this animal finds you and there is an immediate connection/friendship. During the times of the witch hunts, they were also thought to suckle on a witches teet (what is now known as a mole), but of course this is/was completely untrue.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    lele62 wrote: »

A familiar is a special pet, usually a cat, of a witch. They have an extra special relationship. Normally, in Wicca and other Pagan religions, this animal finds you and there is an immediate connection/friendship. During the times of the witch hunts, they were also thought to suckle on a witches teet (what is now known as a mole), but of course this is/was completely untrue.

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Spectral_cat

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Moon_WillowMoon_Willow Posts: 732 Member
    For several years after the Sims 3 came out I largely ignored the store. I spent the free simpoints I got for registering the base game and World Adventures and downloaded any free stuff that was available but I rarely spent any money on simpoints. During that period I bought the set with the greenhouse and some of the worlds that were available as simpoint bundles but that's about all. Any set like the one the OP mentioned were basically ignored. It wasn't until they started offering various discounts that I started spending money on simpoints and those simpoints were supplemented by bonus simpoints. I don't think I was the only person who took that attitude to the store and EA must have noticed a bump in revenue from simpoints sales when they started offering discounts. Maybe that's why Sims 4 SPs are more reasonably priced because people like me said no to the store until they started offering the discounts.

As for the My First Pet sp, I really missed the Sims 3 Store when I watched the livestream. I think if it was a Sims 4 Store pack I might purchase the female hair with the highlights, the fish tank coffee table and maybe the sofas and the blinds. Then wait for when the hamster was available for separate purchase. The rest of the set, I would wait for it to come on sale and see how much Complete Your Set takes off the price.
    tsNVdyA.png
    Gallery ID: Truet318, check out my latest builds on the gallery.

The Road goes ever on and on And I must follow, if I can,
    Until it joins some larger way,
    Where many paths and errands meet.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    This is really nothing but a strawman argument.

We also need to stop defending the shortcomings of The Sims 4 and EA by using the predecessor games. I invested in The Sims 4, just as virtually everyone else did, for something better.

This. Very much this. I know it’s hard when the devs regularly do it. But that doesn’t make it okay.

The store is a different beast altogether.

One gave you additional items for either a cost or you could get free sim points by farming ads. I have 8gb Of store content purely from ads and registering my packs. I only started getting store content last year. I’ve played the sims 3 since launch. The fact I managed to play that game for years without store content speaks volumes for the amount of content that came with expansions and stuff packs. (I don’t use cc)

How many people will be playing the sims 4 in eight years with no stuff packs? Not many.

Stuff packs and game packs are necessities in the sims 4. Even the biggest sims 4 fan I know on here will admit expansions are lacking, the store is not a necessity.

If the store was such a bad practice (and I don’t deny it was expensive hence why I never bought the sets but got them for free with a lot of DD stalking) and people criticise it why are they so accepting of a beast of similar shade in the sims 4?

Why does the sims 3even come into this as a form of defence of 4?The sims 3 is in the past. Move on. Don’t accept poor quality now just because you think the store was a negative thing.

I can’t really fathom that argument.

“I think this my first pet is a rip off”

“But since the sims 3 store was worse, I’ll buy it anyway”

Stop comparing the game to a previous game. One bad practice doesn’t mean it’s okay to continue it on in the next one.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Thanks, I never played a witch in TS2. It sounds slightly different than in 3 but has the same principle. A witch with a small animal skills faster when the small animal is in the same room. They can perfectly function without them, it just adds fun (or, well, improves skilling). I like it when packs work together, but that is not what’s happening now. Rodents and cats/dogs don’t influence each other as far as I know. They’re just both pets.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

Thanks, I never played a witch in TS2. It sounds slightly different than in 3 but has the same principle. A witch with a small animal skills faster when the small animal is in the same room. They can perfectly function without them, it just adds fun. I like it when packs work together, but that is not what’s happening now. Rodents and cats/dogs don’t influence each other as far as I know. They’re just both pets.

In the new pack? Cats will sit on the enclosure and paw at the tunnels. But sims 2 cats watched them too and could kill them. Not sure if they bother in 3 my sims cat is too lazy to
  • Options
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Many of you have said you won’t buy the “My First Pet Stuff Pack.” Great! It seems most in the Sims community, even people who don’t agree on much else, agree that this pack is a blatant cash grab. Take it a step further. If you already had that $10 saved to buy the Pack, consider donating it to your local animal shelter or another animal-supporting non-profit. Challenge EA to match your donation if you want to really let them know how far they’ve strayed. If you like this idea, reblog. It’s a way to not only tell EA “NO!” but to do some good for the non-virtual pets in the world.
    https://silvermarmotsimblr.tumblr.com/post/171674893863/many-of-you-have-said-you-wont-buy-the-my-first

This is a fantastic idea. I never planned to buy the SP, but I'm about to donate the equivalent of 10 USD to a local shelter. I did give them a missing poster when our dog ran away, and they were kind enough to post it on their Facebook page.
    Love this idea! In fact I’m going to follow your example.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    sillafoxsillafox Posts: 63 Member
    The hamster pack requires pets?
    sW8E5XUIFFv4lyszgJwTWI5jpMGzpGIKfPLmtfVtGYM?preserve_transparency=1&size=1280x960&size_mode=3
  • Options
    RnM92RnM92 Posts: 222 Member
    sillafox wrote: »
    The hamster pack requires pets?

It does in order to use a significant chunk of the content (pet costumes and pet furniture). Otherwise the pet objects will just be decorative :/
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    I just want to say before I start that I do not agree with this stuff pack and I will not be paying money for it.

That said, I do feel like EA think they can get away with this, simply because they did it 10x worse before, and it seems no one kicked up a stink about it, at all.

Just after Pets was released in 2011, EA released a compilation of the store sets in November. It came with a new self-feeding Pet bowl, and a new Aquarian, as well as some other items. The self-feeding Pet Bowl was the main attraction of the set.

EA asked $30 (yes, that's $10 more than a Sims 4 Game Pack) for this set if you wanted all 54 items.
    There was a cheaper option for just 21 items and that was $14 (yes, $4 more expensive than a Sims 4 stuff pack, with one-third of the items).

On top of that, they charged $3.50 for 3 items. That's more than a $1 each for 3 Pet items.

Now, I'm not saying I agree with The Sims 4 MFP stuff, or that I'm saying "it's okay, because TS3 did it worse".

The point I'm making is, where was the outrage? All TS3 threads have people all excited and not complaining about how expensive it all is. No one was complaining that you needed TS3 Pets for this.

People should have spoken up. People shouldn't have accepted this.

Because, no wonder EA think it's okay to add DLC for DLC, because they did it before and no one cared.

And now they're doing the same thing, but offering 4x the content (SimGuruGraham even said the Pet outfits are in addition to the normal amount of CAS items we usually get) and no wonder EA think they can get away with it, because they've done so much worse.

The point of this thread is, if you don't agree with this practice, DON'T BUY IT ANYWAY. Because history will repeat itself, and EA will keep doing this over and over.

It's so frustrating to see people say "I don't agree with it but I'll buy it anyway". At least wait for a sale if you're keen. But please, don't get angry the next time EA do this, if you're one of the people who buy as soon as they can.

Let EA know you don't agree. Buying this at full price tells EA you agree. So don't.

(If you are happy, that's fine, buy as you wish. Obviously, LOL).
    How is offering an overpriced foodbowl for Pets (I never paid for but do have in my game, and I didn’t buy back then because my pets were fine with the bowls offered in the game) 10x worse than offering actual pets (you’ll really have to pay those €10 for) in a seperate pack? It’s not. I never felt they were trying to rob me back then because I never even considered buying something useless like that. If they would have offered actual animals and pets in the Store instead of including them in the pack, you bet I would have protested exactly the same way as I am now.

Sorry, but people are furious about this for just one reason: they never went this low before.

I agree :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    I don't know much about TS3's store. Weren't most of the packs there $20? How much were individual items (if you could get them that way?)

S4's SPs are $10 and any single item within (gameplay or not) is literally only cents on the dollar. People go on and on about the 'value' of the SPs. I'm just curious what the 'value' is for the Store's packs too? Better? Worse? I mean in terms of individual items. I know most packs cost twice as much and most didn't have gameplay items, but I don't know how many were in a pack, or if individual items cost more than a dollar, that sort of thing?

(Not using this to compare back and forth to say one's better than the other, I'm just curious for my own curiousity's sake to try to figure out what is actually the better/worst value on the most objective level I can get, with as little subjectivity as possible.)

No, they really weren't. I don't remember actual costs, but since it used simpoints instead of actual dollars, and since something was always on sale, and since if you owned part of a set you would get a steep discount if not free, and sets included compilations, it was hard to pay full price to begin with, and you would get simpoints cheaper than a dollar a point provided you didn't just buy the cheapest (aka most expensive) option.

I got so many sets for free due to "complete your set" considering compilations sets, it was amusing. And if you looked on the forums, you'd see people showing what item to buy to make for a cascade effect of free or exceedingly low cost sets. So you buy one item, and you get a steep discount on a set, which is a part of a two set package, so you get that, and that's part of a compilation which is now free because you own so much of it.

Now, not everything was eligible for CYS, but really, the economics of it was far more complex. Even if you didn't try, all you had to do was buy simpoints in larger bundles than $20 and you're already no longer 1sp = $1.

Edit: The way I started with the exceedingly low cost store stuff was through simpoints I got through expansions. I'd only purchase the daily deal stuff, which was often 75% off for an item. I did buy simpoint bundles a couple of times, but again, using those tactics, I only needed to buy them a couple of times. Especially since you could watch ads for simpoints. Since my dad at the time I was doing this was very sick, I'd just be on my phone at the hospital, earning simpoints.

But I found that fun as well, figuring out how to get the most for the least at the store -- it was almost a game by itself.

There was an feature that Sims store had where you view thier ads it would give you a certain amount of simoleons and while it was a slow process it still added up and I completed my sets that way.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    I don't care if rodents were my jam, my happy place, my reason for living--I am not buying this pack.

I have spent over $300 on TS4--and that's with getting probably over 2/3 of it on sale, and the Deluxe pack for free. I even got 4 Stuff Packs for $20 one time, I think it was in a summer sale, the summer Kids Stuff came out, I think. But I don't care if this Stuff Pack is .99. I refuse to buy "stuff" for an expansion, and anything else that is supposed to be alive, and is tied to something. Tying creatures up is cruel, and so is sending them up in rockets. (I'm looking at you, NASA.)

I preordered Cats and Dogs, and I was not disappointed. Until, I found, you've been holdin' out on me, brah. You got a litterbox and doggie bed stashed in your knapsack, there, holmes, and I'm sittin' over here with no bolster for Bob's Basset Hound. No wonder Bob is gloomy, jeez. Give a cuz a break, yo, and slip me a lil patch? :mrgreen:

I'm serious, tho, I am not buying this pack.

You had me cracking up :D
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    By EA/Maxis selling this SP it is done strategically to make some buy the C&D EP being most of the stuff cannot be accessed w/o the EP. Sometimes you have to look real deep at why EA/Maxis is doing these things do not take things at face value. EA/Maxis know what they doing and it is all for the money and not the customer because in the end they might get the customer if they buy the product, it is economics in play. This may be the trend moving forward looking at other games outside this company and within this company. What the store for Sims 3 did and what Sims 4 is doing now is similar in some aspects but have a difference click to them both. The reason EA/Maxis did not do a store because they figure SPs might be a better system but the customer lose one point that was available in the Sims 3 store, the option to buy individual items whereas with SPs you buy the whole pie and it may have more and it may have less items for the same price. One other thing, this plan was not thought up overnight it may have been thought up sometime in the past but was waiting for the right time to initiate it and EA/Maxis never intended to discuss it on the premise that some customers will buy it and it was just dropped on customers. EA/Maxis is taking an risk and it may pay off and it may not only time will tell.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
  • Options
    lele62lele62 Posts: 157 Member

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Spectral_cat

Thanks for the link, but I was defining what a familiar is since the previous poster stated they didn't know what a familiar is. I didn't really play with the spectral cats and couldn't remember whether we had familiars or what.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited March 2018

I had the majority of the store except for some clothes sets. I also got some of it free because someone gifted it to me but the store was a rip off.

No doubt, but it wasn't nearly as bad as $20 for a set or whatever. I mean, it probably could be though that number seems high; iirc sets normally cost about 1000 simpoints if, venues may have been 1500 simpoints, but really, paying full price would normally only happen if you had to buy the set immediately and not wait for CYS or for them to show up in a compilation.
    I paid for some of those sets that were expensive because I liked what they added. But like I said I didn't pay for some of the things because they were gifted to me. But I do have everything from the store now I have the clothes I never got one way or another but I spent more money in that store then you can imagine. I had to have all premium items and all the worlds. Even though now I love all the free CC worlds way better than the store ones.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    I never bought anything from the TS3 store, so I didn't know about that, thanks for telling us about it once more. To be quite honest, I agree with you on this, OP. It's the first time I'm completely disappointed when it comes to a SP for TS4. I wasn't going to buy it, but I've got an unused gift card and I'm not planning on using it anywhere else other than TS4 stuff, so there's that. The pet beds should have been included to the Cats and Dogs EP, in my opinion. There wasn't a wide variety of pet stuff there in the first place. But, in a way, it's not exactly the same situation, because this SP introduces a new pet, whereas the TS3 pet store content included only objects. Yes, so many contradictory thoughts...
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member

I paid for some of those sets that were expensive because I liked what they added. But like I said I didn't pay for some of the things because they were gifted to me. But I do have everything from the store now I have the clothes I never got one way or another but I spent more money in that store then you can imagine. I had to have all premium items and all the worlds. Even though now I love all the free CC worlds way better than the store ones.

Yeah, CC worlds are better than store worlds, but I do use the items from the store worlds. Out of curiosity, which were your favorite CC worlds?
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    store had one major difference - I could earn simpoints for free. I would love to see how many people actually bought those things for real money.
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    edited March 2018
    mirta000 wrote: »
    I would love to see how many people actually bought those things for real money.

I did. I bought the entire store, most of which for full price (before sales) and with real money (as this was before free SimPoint ads were offered in the UK). Sims content is all I've ever really collected, so I've always made an allowance for it.

Edit to add I don't regret buying it, because it gave me a lot of enjoyment.
  • Options
    mirta000 wrote: »
    store had one major difference - I could earn simpoints for free. I would love to see how many people actually bought those things for real money.

Exactly. I have lots of content but have never spent real money.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    If you watched a bunch of ads to get the points, then you spent time instead of money. Time is also a valued resource. (Just ask anyone who plays mobile games, and if they've ever seen mircotransactions that allow things to speed up or happen instantly, lol.)
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2018
    I know one thing - for folks wanting a farming pack with farm animals - after this reaction to this pack - well I would be doubtful if Maxis will even consider more animals in another pack. Such a shame.

I hope that's not the case - but a little voice in my head is sobbing....
    "Farewell dreams of a farm in Sims 4......"

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....