Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 Realistic or Cartoony?

graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
edited February 2018 in Off Topic Chat
The Sims 5 development might start next year, I heard rumors that next new series development base game starts after pets, anyway this is NOT a discussion on when Sims 5 will come so please..
Let's say EA announced Sims 5 next year and it'll come out in 2020
What you'll vote for how the sims characters look like?
For those who'll vote cartoony, please remember Sims 4 is stylized cartoony and making next Sims also cartoony is repeative and waste of resources and a new base game.. imagine cartooney Sims 5 in 2020 or 2021? Will it make sense ? By realistic here means not cartoony but not overly realistic like Skyrim! We know that doesn't fit the Sims! Why not giving us realistic players a chance? (I still love fantasy alot btw) Anyway let's see your vote!

1- Realistic
pGBdT7m.jpg

2- Cartoony
aj6RK3S.jpg

Please note you don't have to vote if you wanted some sort of between realistic and cartoony..just comment!
I'm sorry I couldn't find appropriate pics to represent the look between the two but if you do, please comment with your suggested pic..

Also note by realistic I don't mean excatly defined like the pic, less defination than that is also realistic
If you think the realistic pic is a lil too much and want something realistic but with a lil smoothness (like more realistic TS3 looks with a bit mix of smoothness textures of TS4) then vote realistic because that's excatly what most of us (who want realistic want) but never mind the pic lol it's just a promo pic I just couldn't find better..
Post edited by graventhe on

The Sims 5 Realistic or Cartoony? 310 votes

Realistic
35%
earthgirlnickibitswardicmnfrshIdontrcallcarlystur03AlexaiKaliko103KjrockPlayerCollieboyTEXASKITTYKATCynnasimgirl1010PinkFlyingPastaalexandreaCororonalejandro15039Archivistalanmichael1simspeaker4zagboorules 109 votes
Cartoony
64%
Akl500Pauroraael14CK213bshag4lvHaids5987GoldmoldarMstybl95Hejixaprilrosexbecky685xJessa_DakkarCamkatAnnie2008PlayerSinger2010Writin_RegmcruddIsb917AntoniaBaybeeStrangerthankerryemmiebeth 201 votes

Comments

• Options
    Realistic
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Realism would kill the franchise.

Things like death, woohoo, and a lot of romantic/violent stuff would have to be taken out just to meet a Teen rating.

If they did include it, who wants to kill realistic people or watch them have woohoo. It would be weird.

The cartoony artsyle of all 4 games is what makes the Sims “The Sims”. The Sims 3 went as realistic as I’d want the franchise to go.

I'm only taking about looks and more detailed skin and animation, that won't push the T rating, things like woohoo can resume as how it was maybe a lil differently
    Sims 5 has to cope up with technology improvement we're talking about 2020 or 2021..cartoony would be repeative
    Sims 4 part 2 is a good idea?
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited February 2018
    Cartoony
    @graventhe wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Realism would kill the franchise.

Things like death, woohoo, and a lot of romantic/violent stuff would have to be taken out just to meet a Teen rating.

If they did include it, who wants to kill realistic people or watch them have woohoo. It would be weird.

The cartoony artsyle of all 4 games is what makes the Sims “The Sims”. The Sims 3 went as realistic as I’d want the franchise to go.

I'm only taking about looks and more detailed skin and animation, that won't push the T rating, things like woohoo can resume as how it was maybe a lil differently
    Sims 5 has to cope up with technology improvement we're talking about 2020 or 2021..cartoony would be repeative

Yeah but what you have to remember is, The Sims gets away with that content because it IS cartoony. Realism takes away the fantasy and silliness and suddenly makes things like death by fire, drowning etc. really quite disturning. And instructing realistic Sims to “woohoo” etc could be more “adult” than humorous.

When you change how the game looks, it adds a whole new interpretation.

Also, The Sims 1 - 3 were cartoony, never realistic. However, 2 & 3 has realistic undertones that caused them to date badly.

Honestly, I would LOVE a Sims 4 part 2, simply because I imagine it having graphics even closer to Pixar quality and that would be :love:

latest?cb=20140324235152
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Cartoony
    Cartoony is the brand of The Sims. I would never want a realistic Sims.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member
    Cartoony
    Cartoony, mainly because of three reasons

Cartoony graphics age much better than realistic ones

Realistic graphics would take a lot of computer power for a series that already struggles with lags due to AI, routing etc.

It would look really ridiculous if a realistic looking person would be eaten by a cowplant or similar weird sims stuff

Honestly, they could just take the sims 4 artstyle and make it look more like the renders and i would be pleased.

• Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Cartoony
    Because they are sims, not humans!
  • Options
    LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    Cartoony
    I really like the current art style (though I wish I could use it on higher graphics cause my game is set to low). I like the style of the sims 4 for the sims themselves because their body proportions stay like a real person but they are still like a cartoon.

If the graphics changed to something like alpha cc, I’d be less likely to play. I dunno why but alpha stuff just gives me the creeps!

Since I follow sims stuff on Tumblr, I get all these ads on my dashboard. A lot of those ads these days are for Second Life. I cringe every time I come across one.
  • Options
    Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member
    Cartoony
    Cartoony but more stylized. And please use DirectX 11 is about time!

Also, if TS5 really exist the development might had started years ago, no next year.
    The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.
  • Options
    XenagaXenaga Posts: 6 New Member
    Cartoony
    Cartoony always the best, but not much more cartoony, Sims 4 Graphics looking good to me can't imagine how the Sims 5 Graphics ( if there is a sims 5 sooner or later )
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited February 2018
    Cartoony
    I gotta be honest here. :)
    If some people were leaning towards realism, those examples will push them in the cartoony camp.
    It pushes me in the cartoony camp. :D

I didn't want to vote on this one because I prefer something between the Realistic and TS4. Both your examples are realistic to me.
    The Sims 4 would be a better example of (a bit extreme) cartoony. The realistic one is too realistic for a Sims game in my opinion.
    Imagine those realistic characters on fire, drowning, or all the other ways sims die. It would take the game from humor to horror.
    This game will need a balance between realism and cartoonishness that will serve the game and all the players.

I prefer The Sims 3 as far as realism goes, but its art style wasn't consistent nor seemed as designed as TS4's art style.
    It seems like they simply bought third party texture packs from different sources to make the game.

TS4's art style is better design wise, but it's too cartoonish for me.
    I would like it more if the details of meshes and textures were increased. I also don't like how everything is so thick and blocky.
    What I am doing is adding custom content for objects with more detailed meshes and I am grabbing converted TS2 objects and textures wherever I can find them in order to have the game I want.
    Trees
    02-22-18_8-36-41nbspAM.png

Grass
    02-23-18_10-25-31nbspAM.png

Objects and textures
    04-15-17_2-41-13nbspPM.png

Love this TS2 window in TS4.
    04-16-17_1-38-08nbspPM.png

My sims tend to get pushed to this.
    Melonie%20CC.jpg

Olivia%20CC.jpg

The Sims 4 is a pretty game, but you don't have much room to operate if you want to bend your game towards more realism like you could with TS2 and TS3. That painted cartoon background and sky makes for a Truman Show kind of feeling if you put in realistic sims.
    I should play my game with that premise in mind: "Y'all livin' in The Truman Show!" :D
    09-05-16_5-13-46nbspPM.png

For the next Sims game, I wouldn't mind the TS4 art style turned up for more realism.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited February 2018
    Cartoony
    graventhe wrote: »

I don't play The Sims for realisim I don't want to control the lives of realistic sims I just can't see myself enjoying them as much in the long run.

Also just because it keeps a stylized/cartoony style doesn't mean it has to stay stagnant and use the exact same art style as Sims 4 for Sims 5 because Newsflash Stylized/Cartoony styles can change and grow too! I mean look at Zelda that's a series that constantly changes it's style up but still stays in the realm of the stylized/cartoony. There's lots of room for growth and change without heading into the realistic territory.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    Realistic
    For those who'll vote cartoony, please remember Sims 4 is stylized cartoony and making next Sims also cartoony is repeative and waste of resources and a new base game..

I mean what's the point of asking people for their opinions if you're just going to dismiss them right off the bat anyway? :D

Lol I was making a point but I offered the two options, everyone has the right to voice their opinions without limit xP
    It was just a note or a slight comment on if you choose cartoony it's the same as asking for Sims 4 part 2, why not try something new? Isn't that what EA does anyway with TS4 packs?
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    Realistic
    I want realistic. I may play legacy if they look more real. and think twice before starting a fresh game. I don't play other simulation games but I have seen the sims in them. I wish our sims looked like that. Also creating sims in CAS is great, we can see them close up, but once they are in the game, the definitions fade, and one sim looks a lot like another, because they are further away from us. More realistic in CAS more definition in game play.
  • Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    Realistic
    I'd want it to be different from Sims 4 - to give me incentive to buy it. I've also always wanted to experience a really realistic sims game, we might be able to achieve that in the future, so I say why not?

But the main reason I'd move on to Sims 5 would be for its features, and whether it is cartooned/realistic matters a lot less to me.
  • Options
    Realistic
    3KNPen wrote: »
    graventhe wrote: »

I don't play The Sims for realisim I don't want to control the lives of realistic sims I just can't see myself enjoying them as much in the long run.

Also just because it keeps a stylized/cartoony style doesn't mean it has to stay stagnant and use the exact same art style as Sims 4 for Sims 5 because Newsflash Stylized/Cartoony styles can change and grow too! I mean look at Zelda that's a series that constantly changes it's style up but still stays in the realm of the stylized/cartoony. There's lots of room for growth and change without heading into the realistic territory.

Can you provide us with examples for the improved stylized cartoony that you hope to see in Sims 5?
    If Sims 5 Sims had stylized cartoony textures but much improved and realistic than sims 4 I wouldn't mind (especially the hair, I hate that big tree leaf on their head)
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Cartoony
    I chose "cartoony", but I agree with those who actually mean "stylized". I do love the look of Sims 4, but I think the art style was intended to go together with the "goofier" behavior of the Sims. I would definitely prefer the next Sims game to be less childish but without being photorealistic or too close to realism, like the Sims 3 tried to do. It just comes out ugly and waxy and when you see the Sims against the world background, they clash together because the textures aren't perfectly matched. Having one consistent art style makes the game flow better visually and is much more immersive.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Realistic
    Well, I knew it would either be split or I'd be in the minority here. I like how my characters look in the other games I play, especially BioWare ones. I feel like I could relate or empathize even better with my sims if they looked more realistic.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    Realistic
    I mean, if you look at my avatar right now, he's my Fallout 4 character, and I really like how he turned out.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Well, I knew it would either be split or I'd be in the minority here. I like how my characters look in the other games I play, especially BioWare ones. I feel like I could relate or empathize even better with my sims if they looked more realistic.
    I mean, if you look at my avatar right now, he's my Fallout 4 character, and I really like how he turned out.
    I think the less that Maxis emulates BioWare and Bethesda the better we'll be.
  • Options
    Realistic
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    I think the less that Maxis emulates BioWare and Bethesda the better we'll be.

It's just a personal preference anyway.

• Options
    SimDestroyerSimDestroyer Posts: 335 Member
    Cartoony
    Cartoony art style with realistic graphics.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Realistic
    There are many realistic games out there. I think they should go in a whole new direction, more real, more mature, but that I don't mean, you know. I think many would like to give up the cartoony, silly stuff. It's mostly adults who play this, not kids. Or they could keep it as it is for those who like that way and make a whole new game for those that want something more.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Realistic
    All this love for cartoony Sims, I hope that EA isn't looking at this thread and going, "They like cartoony? Okay, we'll give them cartoony!" Then TS5 ends up looking like this:

https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/spg/show_picture.pl?l=english&rais=1&oiu=https://data3.origin.com/content/dam/originx/web/app/games/mysims/mysims/mysims-standard-edition_pdp_1920x108_en_WW.jpg&sp=ec46c2073a2b3d7853fa59f79ffc7dc6
    I3Ml5Om.jpg