Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 Realistic or Cartoony?

Comments

• earthgirlearthgirl Posts: 1,025 Member
    Realistic
    I want more realism in my game, please! TS4 sims are way too cartoony for my taste. It's my opinion, anyway.
    Maybe the sims won't be realistic like say, Skyrim characters, but I would love something realistic, yet still maintaining the cuteness. I DO want them to feel more real! probably acting differently, not just having certain "walk styles" that you can change in CAS and don't pass down to offspring. :/ I would like more complexity in everything, in personalities, reactions, emotions and how the surroundings and events affect them in a short or long term.
    NK4koaX.png
  • SimiellaSimiella Posts: 36 Member
    Cartoony
    Cartoony just because it is The Sims. Sims is not about creating a realistic life in a game for me, it is about playing with the boundaries of life. Having a realistic tone to it would just be weird (like people above has commented) and it would not fit purpose of the game.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Cartoony
    I prefer cartoony because I would see realistic as strange and realistic would take some if not all of the humor out of the game. Sims is one of those games that need not look realistic. However, I would not mind if an realistic version be used purely for demo purposes and then take it from there.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • RustyCicuitRustyCicuit Posts: 49 Member
    Cartoony
    I voted for cartoony. It was never a debate for me, to be honest.

Ultimately, the more realistic graphics do not suit the franchise at all. Stylized gamez always end up aging well. If one compares sims 3 to sims 4, where in sims 3 tried to take a more realistic approach, one can see how absolutely terrible the game has aged. In comparison sims 4 (which came out in 2014) is aging wery, wery well. Right now on the marked there is no shortage of realistic looking games, I think The sims should keep its unique art style. When one looks thru endless rows of similar looking games, one will immediately know: "Well this is The Sims, alright."
    Cartoony
    catitude5 wrote: »
    There are many realistic games out there. I think they should go in a whole new direction, more real, more mature, but that I don't mean, you know. I think many would like to give up the cartoony, silly stuff. It's mostly adults who play this, not kids. Or they could keep it as it is for those who like that way and make a whole new game for those that want something more.

Just as many that would want to give up cartoony and the silly stuff there are just as many that do not being it is all speculation. As far as having two versions that would mean two different budgets and if EA/Maxis talking about not enough resources in making Sims 4 then I do not see this happening. Now even though you are speculating mostly adults play this game, there are still children that do play this game and even if it is by an small margin, I do not see EA/Maxis going that as well. I would not mind an demo of an adult version just for testing the waters but that will not happen. EA/Maxis had deviated from the formula when Sims 4 was created and I do not think they want to create the same atmosphere that was present when Sims 4 came out Imho.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • KatiardguezKatiardguez Posts: 640 Member
    edited February 2018
    Realistic
    I voted for realistic because I wouldn't like the sims 5 to be more cartoony than what already is. But a little bit of both would not be so bad.
    I would like if the sims could look somewhat like this pictures.
    s0Q3xFb.pngYv6y7UW.jpgQcM81J9.jpg
    edited February 2018
    Cartoony
    Simiella wrote: »
    Cartoony just because it is The Sims. Sims is not about creating a realistic life in a game for me, it is about playing with the boundaries of life. Having a realistic tone to it would just be weird (like people above has commented) and it would not fit purpose of the game.

You are correct Wright never intended for the Sims to imitate life in RL only in an parodic way, it was a simulation to escape RL for an little while just like Little Computer People which in some part gave Wright the idea for the Sims.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Realistic
    CK213 wrote: »
    I gotta be honest here. :)
    If some people were leaning towards realism, those examples will push them in the cartoony camp.
    It pushes me in the cartoony camp. :D

I didn't want to vote on this one because I prefer something between the Realistic and TS4. Both your examples are realistic to me.
    The Sims 4 would be a better example of (a bit extreme) cartoony. The realistic one is too realistic for a Sims game in my opinion.
    Imagine those realistic characters on fire, drowning, or all the other ways sims die. It would take the game from humor to horror.
    This game will need a balance between realism and cartoonishness that will serve the game and all the players.

I prefer The Sims 3 as far as realism goes, but its art style wasn't consistent nor seemed as designed as TS4's art style.
    It seems like they simply bought third party texture packs from different sources to make the game.

TS4's art style is better design wise, but it's too cartoonish for me.
    I would like it more if the details of meshes and textures were increased. I also don't like how everything is so thick and blocky.
    What I am doing is adding custom content for objects with more detailed meshes and I am grabbing converted TS2 objects and textures wherever I can find them in order to have the game I want.
    Trees
    02-22-18_8-36-41nbspAM.png

Grass
    02-23-18_10-25-31nbspAM.png

Objects and textures
    04-15-17_2-41-13nbspPM.png

Love this TS2 window in TS4.
    04-16-17_1-38-08nbspPM.png

My sims tend to get pushed to this.
    Melonie%20CC.jpg

Olivia%20CC.jpg

The Sims 4 is a pretty game, but you don't have much room to operate if you want to bend your game towards more realism like you could with TS2 and TS3. That painted cartoon background and sky makes for a Truman Show kind of feeling if you put in realistic sims.
    I should play my game with that premise in mind: "Y'all livin' in The Truman Show!" :D
    09-05-16_5-13-46nbspPM.png

For the next Sims game, I wouldn't mind the TS4 art style turned up for more realism.

What @CK213 said.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
    Cartoony
    Cynna wrote: »
    CK213 wrote: »
    I gotta be honest here. :)
    If some people were leaning towards realism, those examples will push them in the cartoony camp.
    It pushes me in the cartoony camp. :D

I didn't want to vote on this one because I prefer something between the Realistic and TS4. Both your examples are realistic to me.
    The Sims 4 would be a better example of (a bit extreme) cartoony. The realistic one is too realistic for a Sims game in my opinion.
    Imagine those realistic characters on fire, drowning, or all the other ways sims die. It would take the game from humor to horror.
    This game will need a balance between realism and cartoonishness that will serve the game and all the players.

I prefer The Sims 3 as far as realism goes, but its art style wasn't consistent nor seemed as designed as TS4's art style.
    It seems like they simply bought third party texture packs from different sources to make the game.

TS4's art style is better design wise, but it's too cartoonish for me.
    I would like it more if the details of meshes and textures were increased. I also don't like how everything is so thick and blocky.
    What I am doing is adding custom content for objects with more detailed meshes and I am grabbing converted TS2 objects and textures wherever I can find them in order to have the game I want.
    Trees
    02-22-18_8-36-41nbspAM.png

Grass
    02-23-18_10-25-31nbspAM.png

Objects and textures
    04-15-17_2-41-13nbspPM.png

Love this TS2 window in TS4.
    04-16-17_1-38-08nbspPM.png

My sims tend to get pushed to this.
    Melonie%20CC.jpg

Olivia%20CC.jpg

The Sims 4 is a pretty game, but you don't have much room to operate if you want to bend your game towards more realism like you could with TS2 and TS3. That painted cartoon background and sky makes for a Truman Show kind of feeling if you put in realistic sims.
    I should play my game with that premise in mind: "Y'all livin' in The Truman Show!" :D
    09-05-16_5-13-46nbspPM.png

For the next Sims game, I wouldn't mind the TS4 art style turned up for more realism.

What @CK213 said.

I agree with that.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Cartoony looks age better, but I also feel people value graphics in this game a lot.

First I'd say I don't want another cartoony theme like the Sims 4. Cartoony looks are fine, but I want the game to at least be able to take itself serious.

Second I'd aim for some mix of the two rather than going for one or the other. Games with cartoony looks like Wind Waker and Team Fortress 2 age surprisingly well because it's a stylistic choice that doesn't make people feel like the game is "outdated." However, I absolutely believe there are Simmers who have fun trying to make Sims look like celebrities or the like, so I think a completely cartoonish look wouldn't be popular. The cynic in me also feels EA would be more likely to embrace a realistic look, because it means when Sims 6 rolls around and it's more realistic, there's definitely customers that would buy it for that reason alone.

I'm not sure what a mix of the two would look actually look like, but I think it's important to keep both options in mind since both have something of value to offer.

"Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Winifred_WillowWinifred_Willow Posts: 423 Member
    Cartoony
    @CK213 This is exactly how I feel too and how I have my game modded. The next version should have improved textures and be a fine balance between cartoony and realistic.
  • RustyCicuitRustyCicuit Posts: 49 Member
    Cartoony
    > @Katiardguez said:
    > I voted for realistic because I wouldn't like the sims 5 to be more cartoony than what already is. But a little bit of both would not be so bad.
    > I would like if the sims could look somewhat like this pictures.

Pardon me, imagining this kind of sims setting themselves on fire or passing out face down butt up on the floor from exhaustion, cracked me up :D. I mean, you lock them up in a two by two room and they pee themselves and then pass out in the pudle, clashes heavily with the Diva like look. This is precisely why Alpha content looks so terribly out of place, even death animations are over the top in the game. Developers will have to rework the animations, cut out some fan favorites like Cow Plant deaths and many more to pull that kind of style successfully. There is a point when The Sims has to stay first and furthermost The Sims, not offline emulation of "Second Life".
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Cartoony
    Yup, what CK213 said. :)

I don't think I could stand it if the game was as realistic as the example the OP showed. Imagine if I did become "more attached" than what I am now, and that sim died, horribly. I would be out of commission for a week, grieving. Nope, no realism for me...I really love the way the sims 4 sims look, just not the hair. With that being said, I use mostly alpha cc hair. I can't take the blockiness either, lol. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • KuroiKuroi Posts: 137 Member
    Cartoony
    I like the game's style and I wouldn't want it to be too realistic.

I agree with the others saying that sims are not humans. Therefore they shouldn't look completely like humans. I prefer them with the so-called "hair like clay" living in a colouful environment and literally spitting fire after a meal that's too hot. (And I don't know what's so realistic about all those perfect model faces real humans would only be able to acquire through surgery.)

For me, The Sims has never been a life "simulation" but a life parody oder caricature and that's how I like it.
  • J_Lanz16J_Lanz16 Posts: 6 New Member
    Cartoony
    Too realistic elements in The Sims series can strip o fade the signature humor The Sims series have.
    I don't mind the CC-creations with somewhat-realistic feature into it, which Im not that very interested at the first place... that spice-up your gameplay experience. Gameplay is more valuable for me than graphics.

This "The Sims 5 with realistic features" can make or break to us Simmers if Maxis doing it someday, so I'll wait for it.
  • x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    Cartoony
    I was thinking of like a less “real life” like design, like the way they used to make the sims 3 box art renders, but 10x better
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    Honestly, my opinion on this isn't a black and white answer... A crossover between the art styles from Sims 3 and Sims 4 wouldn't be bad... in fact, I think that could work. It would be nice to see the gritty looking realism from Sims 3 with the smoothness from Sims 4.

If anyone has ever played Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword, you would know that this kind of crossover IS possible. Nintendo developed that game with a crossover of the art styles from Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. And it ended up looking beautiful. It was like a painting coming to life.

Also, I think a lot of people forget that this game is meant to be a life simulator. I have absolutely nothing against The Sims 4's art style. In fact, I really like it a lot... but when I play these kinds of games (simulations), I like them to be as realistic looking as possible. The only downside to that happening is the fear of needing some kind of super computer just to play the game on ultra settings... I honestly don't think anyone should have to go that far to play a Sims game.

Either way, I just hope if there is a Sims 5, that the developers will learn their lessons from the previous games and their mistakes (yes, every Sims game had flaws). If they would actually take their time and not rush things, Sims 5 could actually end up being the perfect Sims game... but that's completely up to them to decide. They need to find a way to make the next game worth buying. What honestly concerns me is the fact that they've taken so many questionable risks with The Sims 4 that made absolutely no sense... despite the fact that the game itself has been on the edge of failing several times. That makes me think that they simply don't care about the game... which is sad. One great example of this was how they presented Get Together for the first time... we all remember Rachel Franklin's "dance party"... and, of course, her clap that was "heard around the world"... The Sims 4 was in deep hot water at the time, but the Sims team still decided to pull that nonsense on their fans... without even explaining further what that pack was even about (the very first trailer didn't do it justice either).
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Too realism creep the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 out of some players. There should be a balance of course.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Realistic
    Too realism creep the plum out of some players. There should be a balance of course.

Yeah, I get that there's the uncanny valley effect. It doesn't have to be too realistic. Just realistic enough for them to conceivably be someone you could see IRL in a vague sort of sense.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Cartoony
    Oh yes I want those realistic sims eaten by the cowplant.

In all honesty TS4's style was a slowwww grow on me but now I love it. Future games should just keep aesthetics and modding in mind better. Like it's certainly harder to make a game that looks serious or dark in TS4, and alpha hair looks pretty ridiculous.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    Cartoony
    What I love about the Sims is how all the silly animations fit in with the cartoony aesthetic,

In a realistic art style, something like Cow Plants would just feel odd
  • KottonKrownKottonKrown Posts: 259 Member
    Cartoony
    Making the art style super realistic would be a bit off-putting for me, personally. I've always appreciated the more humorous undertones in the franchise and I feel that having a more cartoony look compliments it better. That being said, I care more about gameplay rather than if something is still going to look subjectively good in 15 years time, so I probably haven't got the best perspective on this.
    Bring back the Paranormal career already.
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    edited February 2018
    How about somewhere in between? I mean, when I look at games that are trying hard to be super-realistic, that style is off-putting to me. On the other hand, the style of The Sims 4 is too cartoony for me. It's lacking in detail. I want high detail, but not necessarily hyper realism.

It is very possible to do this. Take the details put into a Pixar film. Now I'm not saying Sims should be that cartoony. I don't think they should be. However, the environmental details are spot on for me highly detailed, beautiful, but not too realistic. Whereas you look at The Sims 4... Everything's so blotchy and low in detail. It's... yucky.

I always point towards the Toy Story world in Kingdom Hearts III. Around 3:10 in this trailer, you can the outdoor/environmental graphics, and I think ideally that's what a The Sims game should look like outdoors.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited February 2018
    Realistic
    This is a very interesting thread, truly. Because, IMO, TS4 has arguably the most attractive and the most realistic-looking Sims. Put them side-by-side with other Sims in the series and there's no mistaking this.

https://pm1.narvii.com/6134/88bb2382b4f964c25d3a0ecf185a13210415c902_hq.jpg

To me, EA has finally reached an appropriate balance with the Sims. They aren't realistic enough to be scary. However, they are realistic enough. I really would not like to see this change in order to become any more "cartoony". Please no. If there is another addition to the series, I hope that the developers keep or improve the look of the Sims as they are now.

There is room for improvement. For example, TS4's hair still needs work. IMO, the series, as a whole, has had an issue striking the right tone with the hair. TS2, with its hair physics, may have been the best attempt. TS3 was the absolute worst! I see EA striving to improve and I'm mostly very pleased with the results. In particular, I'm very glad to see an attempt to represent different races and cultures. It's wonderful.

For me, where EA has stumbled is with the world and the furnishings. To me, there's a disparity between them and the Sims. It's as if every ounce of detail that they put into the Sims was counterbalanced by making the world as flat and as low-poly as possible, without kicking off an outright revolt among the players. :D

I have seen an improvement there as well. Lately, EA has definitely stepped up their game in world-creation as well as furnishings. Everything is not quite so flat and blocky-looking. Still, I wish that they would work on the terrain paints more. They're pretty bad. Also, tone down the saturation a bit. As already mentioned, the aggressive saturation and atmosphere of the worlds makes it difficult to create lots that are intended to have a more gritty, realistic ambience.

All in all, EA is on the right track. They're definitely getting better. I hope that they keep moving forward, rather than backward. If I could see more detail and higher resolution in the world, its objects, and textures, I could fall in love with the aesthetics of TS4.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • naninani Posts: 5,563 Member
    Y'all are clearly against cartoon, I don't get the fuzz.. sims won't be realistic, sims is not meant to be realistic... It's a life simulator game where you woohoo and kill your character off whenever you want, who would want to do that with realistic people ? It's just weird. The person making this topic is clearly biased because his explanation says "think of cartoony, it's a waste" blah blah blah and valorize realism.
    Why would you put up a poll if you're just going to make everyone vote realism ?
    A french girl who's been hanging out on the english sims forum for a year now.

tumblr_nj0devVCY61s3y9slo1_500.gif