Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 Realistic or Cartoony?

123457...Next

Comments

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,456 Member
    Other:
    Stylized realism. Less cartoonie than Sims 4 though. A little more texture. A little less over acting.
  • WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,754 Member
    Cartoony
    As the Sims 4 already offers potential to go either realistic or cartoony with CAS, perhaps a solution for the next version would be to have options to go more extreme with either side; for example, being able to set a realistic or cartoony mode for the game, or maybe having some sort of slider that could determine how realistic the creator wants the textures to be?
    Am in agreement with some of the posts on here in that when I see a cartoony style character with a realistic skin surface, it can look more disturbing than it's meant to be. I've noticed this in some animated films too. The problem with animated films and games that go down the realistic route is that they all end up looking the same. There's less individual style or characteristics that make the characters/ world stand out. There is a reason why the original hand-painted Disney films are still popular today.
    Another problem with making the Sims too realistic looking is that it would make some of the interactions, such as deaths and fights, uncomfortably graphic, which would push up the age rating of the game. There are plenty of games out there already that offer realistic styles, gritty real life drama and graphic violence; nearly every game advert I see nowadays seems to be rated 18 (and full of killing). I feel if The Sims followed this trend, it would lose its uniqueness and light-hearted appeal. My impression of The Sims is that it is not meant to be a representation of real life, but a game which focuses on creativity, discovery and humour within its own imaginary world. This is a game where you build a rocket in your garden, grow flesh-eating plants, marry an alien/vampire/spellcaster/mermaid and paint the outside of your house in psychedelic colours without the neighbours complaining, to name just a few things!
    I do understand the reasons why people might want realistic aspects in the game, but personally I prefer more wacky visual humour and opportunities to do/create crazy things. (Perhaps I should put this on unpopular opinions instead).
  • waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    I want hyper-realism for the sake of engineering.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    The aesthetic in TS3 is fine but I would prefer more realism.

Plum-For-Me.jpg

Plum_For_Me.jpg

I don't care about TS5 seeing how things are with TS4 and don't care about that game either. But maybe a new life simulator from a different developer/publisher that is on par and better than TS3 can someday become a reality. Of course, I am not holding my breath and am still quite pleased with TS3.

I'll stick to using some mods/cc to enhance my visuals/playstyle.

Hunter_Selfie_Color.png
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • MonoMono Posts: 29 Member
    Cartoony
    It should have its own style of art, but not too caricatured.