Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 Realistic or Cartoony?

Comments

• Lady SugarLady Sugar Posts: 201 Member
    Realistic
    I accidentally voted REALISTIC, but I really wanted cartoonish. I mean it could be a balance between realistic and cartoonish.
    tumblr_o37da4s0cH1tqr095o1_500.gif
    "Here's my invitation baby. Hope it set us free, to know each other better. Put your love all over me"
    -"Invitation" Britney Spears.

R.I.P The Sims.
  • pastelcarlypastelcarly Posts: 14 New Member
    Cartoony
    I understand that realistic might move the game 'forward' in some peoples opinions, but to me, it wouldn't feel much like sims. I wouldn't mind it being a bit more realistic than TS4, but the super realistic game characters almost freak me out a bit. Maybe that's just a quirk of mine, though :p
  • ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    edited February 2018
    Realistic
    I would want something kind of cartoony but with realistically proportioned bodies and realistic animations.

The best example I can think of right now (apart from The Sims 3) is the Life is Strange games. The whole feel of those games sort of aims for realism but with textures that are consistently smooth and cartoony. The end result isn't photorealistic but is beautiful, stylized, and made all the more visually pleasing by great lighting.

zawmz0w.jpg
    2h3TBnv.jpg
    wJza8DA.jpg

It's possible to be cartoony without going all-out Pixar. As long as the game borders on realism but doesn't go completely photorealistic, the visuals won't clash with some of the more goofy things The Sims is known for (Death, ghosts, cowplants, etc.) but can indulge in those without tossing reality out the window either.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    Cartoony
    @Cynna and @Archivist both you guys bring up really good points. TS4, in my opinion, has done a good job of the fine between realistic and cartoon, without being too creepy or too ridiculous.

Those are some great pics too @Archivist. I've never played Life is Strange but I've heard its beautiful and super cool! It does a good job of blending realism with 'cartoon' as well. :)
  • KatiardguezKatiardguez Posts: 640 Member
    edited February 2018
    Realistic
    > @Katiardguez said:
    > I voted for realistic because I wouldn't like the sims 5 to be more cartoony than what already is. But a little bit of both would not be so bad.
    > I would like if the sims could look somewhat like this pictures.

Pardon me, imagining this kind of sims setting themselves on fire or passing out face down butt up on the floor from exhaustion, cracked me up :D. I mean, you lock them up in a two by two room and they pee themselves and then pass out in the pudle, clashes heavily with the Diva like look. This is precisely why Alpha content looks so terribly out of place, even death animations are over the top in the game. Developers will have to rework the animations, cut out some fan favorites like Cow Plant deaths and many more to pull that kind of style successfully. There is a point when The Sims has to stay first and furthermost The Sims, not offline emulation of "Second Life".

Where did I said I wanted the sims to be the exact replica of "Second Life"? The only reason I had the photos as an example was because is the only ones in my opinion that has a little bit of both realistic/cartoony at least on their faces. The Op didnt add an option to be 50/50 of both because otherwise I would have voted for that one.

The sims shouldnt be more or less cartoony/ realistic than what it is already. I respect everyone opinions when they say that they cant imagine playing the sims if the looks becomes too realistic because they cant imagine putting the sims on fire or killing the sim, it makes me wonder what are their thoughts when playing games like GTA5, Lara Croft, etc.

The sims needs to move forward not only in looks but gameplay also in order to maintain the interest of the existing players worlwide but gains new ones as well. For us players this is a game that we enjoy to play but its so easy to forget that for EA is a business and a business that sticks with the same formula over and over again doesn't go too well sometimes.

I wouldnt mind if the sims 5 becomes a little bit more realistic only on the look of the sims and not gameplay. But if it becomes more cartoony than the sims 4 than it wont be the game for me and ts4 could be the last series I play. But this is just thinking ahead since the sims 5 hasnt even been announce yet.
  • KatiardguezKatiardguez Posts: 640 Member
    Realistic
    Archivist wrote: »
    I would want something kind of cartoony but with realistically proportioned bodies and realistic animations.

The best example I can think of right now (apart from The Sims 3) is the Life is Strange games. The whole feel of those games sort of aims for realism but with textures that are consistently smooth and cartoony. The end result isn't photorealistic but is beautiful, stylized, and made all the more visually pleasing by great lighting.

zawmz0w.jpg
    2h3TBnv.jpg
    wJza8DA.jpg

It's possible to be cartoony without going all-out Pixar. As long as the game borders on realism but doesn't go completely photorealistic, the visuals won't clash with some of the more goofy things The Sims is known for (Death, ghosts, cowplants, etc.) but can indulge in those without tossing reality out the window either.

If the sims 5 looks like this picture it would be very nice. Love the details on the house and the characters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    Realistic
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Realistic

zawmz0w.jpg
    2h3TBnv.jpg
    wJza8DA.jpg

Life is Strange is a very good example of where I would like to see The Sims series go. It is chock full of detail and is realistic without going overboard. In fact, those pictures of the LiS characters quite remind me of TS4 Sims. Yet, the world reminds me more of the detail that was possible with TS3 -- sharp, detailed textures, and much smoother curves. The colors also stand out in a meaningful way. The entire world isn't on torch mode. Color is used to nicely emphasize things that are more important.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    Cartoony
    Cartoony but not too cartoony. I think the pics OP put under cartoony there is nice enough.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    Cartoony
    I like things the way they are. If you're doing it right, you can make your Sim look cartoony yet almost life like without CC in CAS.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • laazygnomelaazygnome Posts: 255 Member
    Cartoony
    Being too realistic is just creepy tbh but I think a nice balance between the two would work.
  • LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 358 Member
    Cartoony
    To me personally, it would feel creepy to play sims that are too realistic looking. I personally prefer cartoony. Besides, they've always looked cartoony, yes even in TS3.
  • wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    Realistic
    DV7r_YdVoAAw0r5.jpg:large
    I saw this render made by [at]KC89901 on twitter and I loved it. I'd love for the sims 5 to have something like this.
    Image credit.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • earthgirlearthgirl Posts: 1,026 Member
    Realistic
    I saw this render made by [at]KC89901 on twitter and I loved it. I'd love for the sims 5 to have something like this.
    Image credit.

Actually, I wouldn't like my sims to always look like they have a cold. XD
    NK4koaX.png
  • swetildeswetilde Posts: 21 Member
    I like the cartoony style but I wish the interactions and the gameplay would be more realistic.
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    Realistic
    Realistic. One reason why I skipped TS4 was the clay-ish looking sims and textures for many parts of the game (like the grass, trees and flowers). I don't like how the TS4 sims look when they smile and move. There are games with anime and Disney looking sims for those who like cartoony characters. And isn't there a cartoony Sims game for smartphones? Sims should be a human life simulator and not a Bugs Bunny game.

I can't see why there couldn't be options to make realistic OR cartoony sims in CAS. I mean, you could be able to choose clay-textured or realistic looking skins or hair. Maybe a quality setting for low and high quality sims, so you can choose. And there will always be mods so you can make your characters from Frozen or Bratz if you want to.

I would be happy with an improved "Sims 3" type of game. Double the amount of sim polygons for smoother bodies and faces, and make the features easy to manipulate. High-resolution skins and textures. More realistic looking grass, trees and plants. Better lighting, reflection and shadow effects. An open world, and with Create A Style back. I want it to feel like I'm stepping into an alternative world when I start the game, and almost smell the air, the sea mist and autumn leaves on the ground.

There's no need for more violence and woohoo. There are other games for that kind of adult stuff. But there's always room for the classic Sims type of humour! :smiley:

The Sims should move forward and improve on the human life simulation genre.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    Realistic
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    Because they are sims, not humans!

They are simulated humans :wink: I mainly play my simself and her family in TS3 and I see them as people living in an alternative world. We all play our games differently, so I can understand how you think. Many simmers love the supernaturals, but I love realism and never play them.

TheSimer wrote: »
    Cartoony, mainly because of three reasons

Cartoony graphics age much better than realistic ones

It used to be that way, when the early polygon-based characters were blocky and ugly. They look terrible today, while simple sprites like early Mario still look fine. Realistic graphics look so much better today so there isn't much that can be improved on, so it will age much better than the graphics from 15 years ago.
    Realistic graphics would take a lot of computer power for a series that already struggles with lags due to AI, routing etc.

If the game is made properly it should work fine with medium to high-end graphics cards from the last five years on a 64-bit computer with 6 GB+ RAM. Why make epic games for non-gaming computers built in 2008? Lots of people buy new computers or upgrade their old ones so they can play the games they love, like Battlefield and GTA V (among the best-selling games of all time). Why should The Sims, another big title, be one of the few games that are made for really old and low-end computers?
    It would look really ridiculous if a realistic looking person would be eaten by a cowplant or similar weird sims stuff

Isn't it supposed to look ridiculous? :blush: Most slapstick comedies have real people actors.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Cartoony
    From a purely game graphics level, cartoony is the way to go if you want the visuals to last overtime. It takes far longer for the cartoon look to feel 'outdated', compared to 'realistic' games. Also, cartoon textures tend to be less intensive for GPUs as well, which helps to keep the game available to wider audiences or just help with performance in general.

I mean, the whole retro 8-bit/16-bit/32-bit graphics are back in style with games like Shovel Knight and Stardew Valley. Why? They're timeless in design. But you sure don't see any 1st gen 3D from the N64 era coming back around, do you? :D
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • AmazingFacezAmazingFacez Posts: 88 Member
    Realistic
    A mix, because the sims 3 is more realistic and the sims 4 is more cartoony so if the sims 5 was a mix of both sims 3 & 4 fans would bothe enjoy it.
  • Xavy_CatXavy_Cat Posts: 350 Member
    Cartoony
    Sims is to me is supposed to be a parody/goofy version of life. I feel if the Sims themselves started to look too real it would take away from that.
    ms-gif-sims%201_zps4784kijd.gif
  • Xavy_CatXavy_Cat Posts: 350 Member
    Cartoony
    Image credit.

While the sim in the picture is pretty, I feel like she kind of looks like an IMVU avatar or just a TS4 sim decked out in alpha/realistic CC. I'd be pretty disappointed if TS5 sims looked like her.
    ms-gif-sims%201_zps4784kijd.gif
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Cartoony

zawmz0w.jpg
    2h3TBnv.jpg
    wJza8DA.jpg

I always wanted a game like that. And with this graphics I would love to create beautiful american neighborhoods! The beautiful lighting with the sunshine. The only think from TS4 that I want in TS5 is the lighting through windows.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    Realistic

I feel it would be a giant step for the Sims, in the right direction. they can let go of their cartoony game and step up to the future. I love real looking avatars. It would be like we are playing our own movie. It would be little to nothing people could say negatively about it, and Yes I would pay more for a Real looking world with real looking Sims 5. Its a no-brainer to me.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    edited April 2018
    Cartoony
    Realistic sims would probably look awful to those who have to play on lower graphics settings... :''D

I'm not saying I want Sims 5 to look like Sims 4... I definitely wish they would change especially the style of Maxis hair because some of them look awful :'D