Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is TS4 Cats & Dogs worth it?

Comments

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited November 2017
    Yes!
    MissCherie wrote: »
    That make me laugh people that say it worth it, but that people should wait for a sale, it's contradictory, if it was worth it you wouldn't suggest people to wait for the pack to be cheaper.
    I just really like sales. Sims are an expensive hobby, so paying full price on every pack adds up fast especially when you've been playing multiple iterations. Like ok fine to do it in your first iteration, but after that, it is like ok why didn't I buy these packs before on sale?

Some people like giveaways. I don't think anyone should be ashamed of paying sales on packs or entering giveaways. I rather people acquire packs that way than by other means.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    No.
    Falynios wrote: »
    looking through the posts in this topic, most of the "no's" are from people who don't own the pack. Can we please hear more opinions from people who actually have it and don't like it?

I have it and already commented.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Yes!
    have it really enjoy it
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    Yes!
    I held off from buying Cats and Dogs until a couple of hours ago and finally decided to take the plunge. This means I haven't spent too much time on the game; I just had a quick look around this evening but what I've seen so far has impressed me.

I haven't seen any bugs so far, but even if I had seen any I wouldn't worry too much at this stage because there are always bugs in a new game. There are bugs in old games too but, as irritating as some of them might be at times, most are not generally impossible to get around and the really game killing bugs are usually put right at some point.

I think they have done a really good job on the new world. It really does look nice and the detail and some of the colours are lovely. The sun setting over the beach was really pleasant and the sky was a lovely colour. I also very much like the build/buy objects because I love decorating houses and there is some really nice stuff there! I liked seeing the animals around because it has added some realism to the game, whether you play the pets or not. Just seeing them around and about was good to see. I had my sim go and sit on a bench overlooking the sea and there were some seagulls wandering around him and I thought how nice it was. It took me out of myself for a while and for the first time, I began to feel more immersed in my own sim sitting there than I have when playing previously.

Obviously I still need to learn what it is like to have an actual pet but I'm not worried about not knowing their needs. There is a lot of guesswork involved with pets, certainly with my own two dogs, so this seems quite realistic to me but I will know more after trying it out tomorrow.

So far then, my initial thoughts are very much on the positive side and I'm looking forward to playing again tomorrow. I would say that this expansion pack has renewed my interest in the game because up to now I have been very unhappy with many aspects of Sims 4 in general. The slow eating, over 30 minutes, trying to get my sims hunger bar down before work drives me crazy. The gathering up and chatting of all the sims in retail stores really gets to me! On a scale of 1 to 10, this irritates me way off the scale - more like 100! Hopefully, Cats and Dogs will pull my irritation away from these things and renew my enjoyment of playing the Sims. Time will tell!

• Options
    lesliedaryllesliedaryl Posts: 51 Member
    Kinda.
    I have the game and have played with it four times. I have never had an ep with this amount of bugs. Somethings work...sometimes. I had to sell a vet clinic because I wasn't able to do exams... or treat (this with the highest priced instruments) I have been waiting for this game since it was announced but I'm really disappointed this time. In keeping with the price and the tradition, I expected a more useable game. I hope they don't wait too long to patch it....
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited November 2017
    Kinda.
    Honestly I've always been somewhat neutral to cats and dogs as a whole, always been more of a bird person in general, but this was still pretty worth it.

Mostly I just wanted it to try the Pet CAS, which delivered kind of; There were some features I wanted to change more than it let me, I wish it had more eye colors to choose from (including some less natural ones) but hey, the actual fur editor has a color wheel with actual hex codes. I get to paint on my dogs and cats and make them look just like, say, pokemon, with their actual colors instead of just approximations. It's nice.

I don't really care about the pricetag, can afford it anyway, I even bought it for my friends I knew would enjoy this. Worth it.

Also, the added world looks great. I haven't played enough with it yet, but I don't regret buying this so far. Just had my legacy household adopt two cats and bought some furniture to accommodate them. Looking forwards to actually seeing what they do, hah. I didn't have high expectations of the gameplay outside of CAS, so I'm not really let down either way.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    umbralshadowsumbralshadows Posts: 212 Member
    Yes!
    not only is it worth it its tha best ep sims 4 has ever done
    umbralsimoirsig.png
    lookin for lets players an reviewers for tha short/demo version a my game
    download here
  • Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    Yes!

Cats & Dogs EP is Perfect. <3 I love this EP I have not see bugs or glitches.
    I do truly own Cats & Dogs, I do Play the EP daily. I am so happy I have it. It made Sims 4 what it should have been, people who truly have the Cats & Dogs are at Awe of the EP.

Online you are not allowed to review a product that you do not have because that would not be fair. Even though it's happening here But is it fair? going to get it is not having it.

For the most part, Simmers with Mods and CC are having problems and that has nothing to do with Cats & Dogs EP.
    A few ignored the warning that they upped the specs on the New EP. and that has nothing to do with Cats & Dogs EP.

Cats & Dogs is Perfect and was made by a Team that loves the Sims and the simmers as well. I was not even a cat and dog lover in real, but in the Sims 4 game I now have Cats & Dogs and I love my pets. I thought it would take a long time to download but for me, it was under 30min, and its so many cute full breeds to chose from in cats and dogs categories.

First of all, you always see their picture in the family line up so you can always find them or click the whistle to get them to come to you
    with their picture, you can tell easily if they are ok with the background color.our toddlers are very cute with the dogs and cats. I must say the Dogs and Cats are much more easy to deal with and control and train. For the first time, we get to truly walk around our cities like we have always wanted to and enjoy the sites.

Cats & Dogs EP is Perfect. <3
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited November 2017
    Kinda.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    KLAlexisKLAlexis Posts: 472 Member
    Kinda.
    I think something many people are failing to keep in mind is this:

Even if you're having fun, even if it's keeping you entertained and even if it's enough to be deemed satisfactory for you, the issue is that's it's practically a fact it could've been better. This EP offers next to zero improvements over the Sims 2 and Sims 3 counterparts, and in many areas even loses quality. Despite this, it has the exact same pricetag.

You know what I would think if I were an EA/Maxis manager right now...? I would see this expansion as evidence we can get away with cutting out features, providing less content for the same pricetag and offering missing content later as SPs/GPs, and then I would start experimenting with just how much we're allowed to cut out before fans start to notice and put their foot down.

If people are happy with the product, good for them. However, the question of purchasing this EP or not could be seen as "would you like one car for $20,000 or two?" You got your car for the pricetag and that's great, but there's just soooo much we stand to lose by settling for one instead of demanding the second that we used to get for that price.

It shouldn't be a question of "is it fun," but rather of "could it be more fun." The focus should be on the lost potential and what we stand to lose by settling for less. Sadly, once again I fear the general community will be too short-sighted for this or underestimate the power of their purchase (everyone assumes "it's ok if I purchase it, I'm just one person"), so here we are three years later with an expansion pack that stands up terribly compared to it's predecessors, and despite the bugs and loss of features, we're all just content. It is not a crime to ask for more, but unfortunately people seem to have the attitude that if what they have is nice, then asking for more is out of the question, even if there's overwhelming evidence that "more" is absolutely doable.

I agree with this.
    "The truth hurts, but lies kill"
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Yes!
    Stormsview wrote: »

Cats & Dogs EP is Perfect. <3 I love this EP I have not see bugs or glitches.
    I do truly own Cats & Dogs, I do Play the EP daily. I am so happy I have it. It made Sims 4 what it should have been, people who truly have the Cats & Dogs are at Awe of the EP.

Online you are not allowed to review a product that you do not have because that would not be fair. Even though it's happening here But is it fair? going to get it is not having it.

For the most part, Simmers with Mods and CC are having problems and that has nothing to do with Cats & Dogs EP.
    A few ignored the warning that they upped the specs on the New EP. and that has nothing to do with Cats & Dogs EP.

Cats & Dogs is Perfect and was made by a Team that loves the Sims and the simmers as well. I was not even a cat and dog lover in real, but in the Sims 4 game I now have Cats & Dogs and I love my pets. I thought it would take a long time to download but for me, it was under 30min, and its so many cute full breeds to chose from in cats and dogs categories.

First of all, you always see their picture in the family line up so you can always find them or click the whistle to get them to come to you
    with their picture, you can tell easily if they are ok with the background color.our toddlers are very cute with the dogs and cats. I must say the Dogs and Cats are much more easy to deal with and control and train. For the first time, we get to truly walk around our cities like we have always wanted to and enjoy the sites.

Cats & Dogs EP is Perfect. <3

SAME EXPERIENCE FOR ME, as well. I've had no problems or glitches and like it a lot.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    AllAbouDogsAllAbouDogs Posts: 50 Member
    Yes!
    I respect everybody's opinion, completely. I just wanted to throw out that many people are complaining you can look at the pets' needs, but I feel like it's more realistic. Personally, I think it makes the game more fun, and I think if you could only control one sims and not see any other sims' needs it would be SO realistic. It would also make the game more interesting because you never know when people need something, you can only tell based off of their thoughts, like the pets. You either ask the pets what is wrong, or look at their thought bubbles to find out what they need. Again, I respect what everybody thinks but I just felt the need to throw this out here. Please do not argue with me, as I'm not trying to start anything, I'm "just saying."
  • Options
    AllAbouDogsAllAbouDogs Posts: 50 Member
    Yes!
    can't*
  • Options
    RenbunnyRenbunny Posts: 3 New Member
    Kinda.
    I don't have complaints about the expansion itself. The pets are better than I expected and the new neighbourhood is lovely. However, there are some bad bugs that are making the game unplayable for me right now. I'm honestly disappointed, but not that surprised.
    Hopefully it will get fixed...
  • Options
    EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    Hi folks, popping in to ask you to be considerate of the OP's poll, the question asked and each other before posting. A few comments have been removed for thread derailment so going forward please aim to keep posts on topic. Thanks all.
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

• Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Kinda.
    For me, definitely the best of the packs so far, but it's not saying much as I don't really use the other ones, lol.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Kinda.
    I paid $20 which is why i say ‘kinda’ - I can’t justify a $40 price tag, but for $20 it’s worth it. Had they offered more for Cats and Dogs it would be well worth $40, but there’s not much. There’s a collection of crates (huge ones!) that are only there for cats to jump on, but dogs can’t get on a Sim bed. I’m disappointed with the lack of stuff for Cats or Dogs to do. CAP + the Vet aren’t what made me want the pack.
  • Options
    KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    No.
    The game is decent. But the price is a bit too high compared to the content they actually added to the game in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong. I do enjoy the pack, my pups are adorable and I enjoy watching my sim teaching his border collie tricks but $39.99 and even €39.99 in other European countries is just a bit too much to ask for an expansion pack (as it has always been).

My advise would be getting the pack when it's on sale. Luckily it's black Friday soon and hopefully there will be other retailers giving out better offers for the pack at a lower price. But if you really want a virtual pet in the game to care for and are willing to pay the amount that EA's asking for then go ahead and enjoy your purchase.
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • Options
    NightmareCandleNightmareCandle Posts: 531 Member
    edited November 2017
    Kinda.
    It's cute, but it isn't fleshed out enough. There's so much room for improvement and polish. The pets look nice, their animations are cute. But they have very little depth. You can't even switch to them, so they're basically just objects that wander around when you aren't using one of a handful of interactions on them.

There also aren't enough pet objects or outfits, especially for dogs. No doghouse, no pet beds that aren't basically a quilt on the floor...

I can understand their design choice in wanting pets to not be selectable, but...why not have a cheat like TS2 had to make them selectable and controllable if you want to do so? Or even a toggleable option? Or just...don't select them if you don't want to? It's aggravating. It also grates on my nerves that I can't scold them for getting on furniture, but that's a personal peeve.
    Post edited by NightmareCandle on
    ► ♦ 8XGb8hl.gif ♦ ◄
  • Options
    alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Yes!
    i think it depends on personal preference whether the pack is worth it or not to the person. its true there might be less options and maybe less objects if you compare it with the sims 3. however i feel the quality of the pets were done better. thats what it felt like to me. even though i loved being able to control the pets in the sims 3 and i miss that. i didnt connect to the animals as much. for one thing they didnt have a lot of cool quirks like they do in ts2 and ts4. also whenever i played it felt like they werent intergrated into the household naturally. what i mean is that sims didnt go out of their way to play with the pets and the pets to interact with the sims. most often then not id be getting warnings that the pets social was to low because the interactions werent happening naturally so i had to force sims to stop everything they were doing to take care of the pets because they wouldnt do it alone. so the relationship felt forced to me in the sims 3. also i didnt like that pets wouldnt let you pet them if your sim wasnt friends with them. which i find silly unless the pet is agressive or has a negative relationship with a sim pets in real life dont usually mind being petted. so i was happy to find sims and pets interacting with each other on their own and sims and i still make my sims pay attention to the pets but it feels like the pets really are part of the family. and they are naturaully bond to each other. also i like how quick friendships are built with pets which i think mirrors real life. because its way harder to make friends with a sim then it is with a pet because pets mostly are loyal to people. not saying all pets but most. plus i enjoyed watching them react differently to items around the house and the traits mattering to their personality and not being something they can get trained out of. but as in part of their personality which a sim has to work with but cant change. but they can change the pets habbits by working with the pet. so i was impressed. there are still things i wish would be changed like not being able to see a ui at all. i feel like we should be able to see pets relationships and their age at least. the needs i get it being hidden so sims have to figure it out to mimic real life. but i do wish they would let us see their age. and of course bugs need to be fixed. but its still a great pack imo and i love it and can play the game for hours not getting bored.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    Kinda.
    I'm all for new content and I'm pretty interested in the new world, but as someone that didn't enjoy Pets in the last game all that much, $40 bucks for a Pets add-on that has arguably less content is asking for too much to me. When there's a sale, I'll definitely pick it up.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Yes!
    I love the pets. I have always been a fan of the pets packs but I honestly feel these were done the best and if you get over the initial feeling of not having control, it's amazing.

The toddlers interact with them in the cutest most realistic way. Something I saw yesterday getting my new puppy. The mom was. The toddler a bath and the puppy kept crying near her. When she finished bathing her daughter the puppy runs out to the door to ask her there to go outside. I found this sooo adorable and realistic.

I also had an adventurous cat in a new save that immediately ran to go explore when the game started.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top