Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Bouncy Castle: Bounce off Some of Your Ideas Here! ALL GAMES WELCOME

Comments

• Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited October 2017
    Karilan wrote: »
    While this is not exactly a plot idea, I do have a concept to bounce off you guys.

I've heard one of the biggest problems with legacies is that you don't tend to get new readers once you hit gen 4-5 because it's a lot of content to catch up. I have written my Grace series in such a way that you could jump in at the start of any generation and not be lost in the story, but reading all generations just enhances the depth of the story.

I was thinking of going one step farther. I'm contemplating writing an abridged version of each generation that would include all the important plot points and characters, but obviously not the depth of the full story. I'd be crunching 30,000 word books down likely into a 3000 word.

I imagine this will probably affect people who won't read through the 30,000 word version, but I hope it's worth it to have more people who are able to follow the current generation. Keep in mind this is going to be 26 generation story, not just 10 generations.

What are your thoughts? Can anyone with a long legacy share their experience with readership?

This sounds like a great idea, @Karilan.

I can't seem to let go of my generations. Haha. I've made it through Gen 1 of Darkness May Dream over on my Simblr, finally. I finished Gen 1 of Colt Family Traitacy, and I'm in gen 1 of A Life of Whimsy. I get so tied to my characters that I have trouble releasing them, and I tend to be a long and detailed writer (this is just my style). So I haven't made it to Gen 2 in any of my stories, but I can imagine it's hard for people to catch up on long multi-generational stories because I struggle to read through these types of stories. I don't mind long and detailed, but my schedule doesn't always allow for it.

I think a shorter synopsis of your generations would be helpful for those who want to catch up faster, but it's ultimately more work for you and you may not get all your new readers to read all the chapters (and all the hard work you did might feel wasted... even though it most definitely is not).

I try and include a synopsis of things in the narrative if I can at the beginning of each story (i.e. the first chapter of KFLL is a list of resolutions for my protagonist folded into the narrative). You could experiment with different types if you're interested (i.e. journal entry, letter, photo scrapbook, memories, your main character telling a story to others, or a dream sequence). Do what works for you and your readers.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    15aewar wrote: »
    Right now, I'm writing the second entry to the Penvellyn Legacy. Do you guys like reading little stories about minor characters in a series? I only ask because I'm trying to give Randulf's companions some backstories.

@15aewar Every character is important to me. I love minor character stories. :) I am a huge fan of expository writing, so I like knowing what makes a character tick, what motivates or inspires them, how they think, what actions or events shaped their lives, etc., even when they don't seem as integral to the plot. Even if I'll never reveal all the details of their back stories to the public, I still write them because it makes all my Sims feel real and valued.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    I would absolutely love to see this done with the Sims. I find the concept fascinating, especially paired with different outcome endings in screenshots would be fun to capture in game and illustrate in story options. :)

Unfortunately, it'll probably be rather linear this time around. The thing I love about the medium, though, is that you often feel like you're uncovering something when you click on one of the links. I might do multiple endings in the future, though. It might be interesting to have multiple timelines.
  • Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    I would absolutely love to see this done with the Sims. I find the concept fascinating, especially paired with different outcome endings in screenshots would be fun to capture in game and illustrate in story options. :)

Unfortunately, it'll probably be rather linear this time around. The thing I love about the medium, though, is that you often feel like you're uncovering something when you click on one of the links. I might do multiple endings in the future, though. It might be interesting to have multiple timelines.

It's going to be months before I have time to release my Choose-Your-Own-Adventure story but it took a while to decide how to release it.

I initially wanted to release it with the branching options, but it got way too confusing! First round through I'm going to have an early branching story line, and then follow 2 story lines with no branches. Once both stories are concluded I'll go back and start exploring where the story could have branched off and changed.

I would absolutely love to see you tackle a story with multiple endings!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

It's going to be months before I have time to release my Choose-Your-Own-Adventure story but it took a while to decide how to release it.

I initially wanted to release it with the branching options, but it got way too confusing! First round through I'm going to have an early branching story line, and then follow 2 story lines with no branches. Once both stories are concluded I'll go back and start exploring where the story could have branched off and changed.

I would absolutely love to see you tackle a story with multiple endings!

you could have a vote on where it should go.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    I have no idea where I want to go since I want to have at least 2 weeks where Jane is wearing a head covering because she's feels bad about how she treated Hannah? Hannah isn't recovered yet..she's still in hospital. But I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with this chapter.. like how do I have Jane's "friends" will react because 1)they're also on the tapes (yes I borrowed a LOT from a certian book) and had it before Jane. 2)how would they respond to her wearing a head covering?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    MadameLee wrote: »
    I have no idea where I want to go since I want to have at least 2 weeks where Jane is wearing a head covering because she's feels bad about how she treated Hannah? Hannah isn't recovered yet..she's still in hospital. But I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with this chapter.. like how do I have Jane's "friends" will react because 1)they're also on the tapes (yes I borrowed a LOT from a certian book) and had it before Jane. 2)how would they respond to her wearing a head covering?

I'm not sure about the first part, but with the second part I think that the head covering should only be a part of Jane's ensemble. You want to give the readers the impression that she's really upset about something. Maybe she wears a dark, over-sized hoodie, slumps her shoulders, and doesn't speak much?
  • Options
    bCSEJUs.jpg?1
    @AdamsEve1231 @Karilan @CathyTea Sorry for the double-post, but I finished that Twine game I was talking about. It's very simple (and short) because I don't know what I'm doing yet, but I hope you guys enjoy it nonetheless. :)

Website (for comments, if you have any) : https://rendorasims.wordpress.com/the-penvellyn-legacy/the-penvellyn-legacy-meet-the-founder-part-2/

Direct link to the story: http://philome.la/rendoraexplores/meet-the-founder---part-2/play
  • Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    When I initially opened it, my script blocker didn't like anything and I got this:
    404.png

Laughed so hard! Once I'd allowed all the script it worked fine though.

Loved this little story! I think this is a great idea. Are you intending to include more on your blog?
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    When I initially opened it, my script blocker didn't like anything and I got this:
    404.png

Laughed so hard! Once I'd allowed all the script it worked fine though.

Loved this little story! I think this is a great idea. Are you intending to include more on your blog?

Yeah, I am, actually. I had a lot of fun with it. I wish I could embed it right into the site itself, but that takes some skill that I don't possess.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

I'm not sure about the first part, but with the second part I think that the head covering should only be a part of Jane's ensemble. You want to give the readers the impression that she's really upset about something. Maybe she wears a dark, over-sized hoodie, slumps her shoulders, and doesn't speak much?

I know how to deal with Jane's headcovering/being upset. That isn't my issue. My issue is Jane's "friends" reactions to Jane's reaction to the tapes and how would they behave because of her headcovering?

*the "friends" are also on the tapes as well and had listened to the tapes prior to Jane getting them. So they know the same HAM story as Jane does.. but Jane, Max (HAM's future bridegroom), and Henry (Jane's future bridegroom) are the only people who believe HAM's story.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    I know how to deal with Jane's headcovering/being upset. That isn't my issue. My issue is Jane's "friends" reactions to Jane's reaction to the tapes and how would they behave because of her headcovering?

*the "friends" are also on the tapes as well and had listened to the tapes prior to Jane getting them. So they know the same HAM story as Jane does.. but Jane, Max (HAM's future bridegroom), and Henry (Jane's future bridegroom) are the only people who believe HAM's story.

I'm sorry. I don't think I can help you.
  • Options
    Like I need to start another story, but I had a stroke of inspiration the other day regarding my Colt Family Traitacy. I wanted to do an intermediate generation because I wasn't ready to move on and I'm too attached to Shark and Lolly Racket and Sinbad Rotter. :p And I'm not ready to let go of a favorite townie, Gage Briody (even if he's featured in Kass's story).

I'm thinking of writing an epic crossover with characters from CFT, FRWL, MLWC, and I&S. This is more of an announcement and an intention and to gauge interest.

I didn't know if anyone has ever done epic crossovers between stories. If so, any advice?

(I've done crossover before, but this would be a blending of four stories, each with their own tone and purpose). It would give me opportunity to develop characters and tie up loose ends. Plus I think it would be fun.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Like I need to start another story, but I had a stroke of inspiration the other day regarding my Colt Family Traitacy. I wanted to do an intermediate generation because I wasn't ready to move on and I'm too attached to Shark and Lolly Racket and Sinbad Rotter. :p And I'm not ready to let go of a favorite townie, Gage Briody (even if he's featured in Kass's story).

I'm thinking of writing an epic crossover with characters from CFT, FRWL, MLWC, and I&S. This is more of an announcement and an intention and to gauge interest.

I didn't know if anyone has ever done epic crossovers between stories. If so, any advice?

(I've done crossover before, but this would be a blending of four stories, each with their own tone and purpose). It would give me opportunity to develop characters and tie up loose ends. Plus I think it would be fun.

Our Alien Adoption Collab is becoming an epic multi-player, multi-story crossover!

In addition to all of our alien adoption stories, it spreads into these:

@Xantheanmar 's Moon Halo series; my New World Symphony (which is the extension of Goofy Love, my first TS4 game/story ever!); @ra3rei 's first and original legacy! ; @Meggles ' first and original legacy! ; @RipuAncestor 's Ambrosia story (and through that... every story in which Tad appears!); my pen pal stories (and by extension, all the stories of their pen pals!) ; @Xanthanmar 's pen pal series (and by extension all of her pen pals...) and could there be more? Perhaps!

One piece of advice, which you don't need, @AdamsEve1231 , as you've got this all well in-hand, is to develop the lore, including myths, holidays, other cultural and multicultural elements, and history. You've got that mastered!

Another piece of advice is to allow for complexity: when I start feeling overwhelmed or fretting about things perhaps not fitting together nicely, I remember this big world we live in in all its complexity! There is SO much room for apparent contradiction.

Chronology can be a bit tricky! You've got Emit to (somewhat) help with that... but again, I think if you focus on character, it's fine to leave some ambiguities!

I'm super excited for this, as I think, in my mind, all of your stories do exist in the same universe, and so I've already been stitching them together through my reading experience. This is really exciting, and I will love to see it become official! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member
    I was thinking of adding a lore page to my site called "Your First Nights as a Vampire" that explains what a normal fledgling in my world goes through. It can probably have content similar to what you'd find in brochures.

So far, I've thought of sections like:

Three Nights After You Turn
    Your Essentials
    Powers That You Might Develop
    Feeding off Someone
    Drinking From Plasma Fruit
    Joining a House (a House is like a coven in my world)
    Serving Under an Archon
    Your Dark Form: Explained
    Gaining a Vampire Title
    Punishments Given to Erring Vampires
    Suggested Professions

I wonder what else I can add?
  • Options
    pronterus wrote: »
    I was thinking of adding a lore page to my site called "Your First Nights as a Vampire" that explains what a normal fledgling in my world goes through. It can probably have content similar to what you'd find in brochures.

Your Essentials
    Feeding off Someone
    Serving Under an Archon
    Gaining a Vampire Title
    Suggested Professions

That sounds like a really good idea to me! Also, that list looks pretty exhaustive so far; Of course, I need to get caught up on your story, too...
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    edited October 2017

Your Essentials
    Feeding off Someone
    Serving Under an Archon
    Gaining a Vampire Title
    Suggested Professions

@pronterus What about something on things you can't do now you're a vampire? Like eating human food or going out in the sun (if they are things in your story).
  • Options
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »

Your Essentials
    Feeding off Someone
    Serving Under an Archon
    Gaining a Vampire Title
    Suggested Professions

@pronterus What about something on things you can't do now you're a vampire? Like eating human food or going out in the sun (if they are things in your story).

Oh yeah, I should add that section. Thanks! :)
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    @pronterus You're Welcome. :)
  • Options

Your Essentials
    Feeding off Someone
    Serving Under an Archon
    Gaining a Vampire Title
    Suggested Professions

That sounds like a really good idea to me! Also, that list looks pretty exhaustive so far; Of course, I need to get caught up on your story, too...

I'll probably condense these other items under other headings so that it won't look too long
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
  • Options
    MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member

Your Essentials
    Feeding off Someone
    Serving Under an Archon
    Gaining a Vampire Title
    Suggested Professions

You remember that silly little paper clip man that used to pop up on old PC's and say "Do you need any help?"

Perhaps a Vampire Familiar that pops up out of no where and says things like: "Would you like any help with correct biting form?"

or

"I see you trying to access your Dark Form, would you like a few pointers?"

:D
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options

Your Essentials
    Feeding off Someone
    Serving Under an Archon
    Gaining a Vampire Title
    Suggested Professions

You remember that silly little paper clip man that used to pop up on old PC's and say "Do you need any help?"

Perhaps a Vampire Familiar that pops up out of no where and says things like: "Would you like any help with correct biting form?"

or

Omg that's awesome @Munterbacon ! :D I'll see how I can fit that in haha!
  • Options

Your Essentials
    Feeding off Someone
    Serving Under an Archon
    Gaining a Vampire Title
    Suggested Professions

or

this Matt guy I keep going on and on about? He had an entire video about that paper clip..calling it the "paper clip of doom"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORwAacrAGXk
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    'm still trying to work out the Rashmon effect..and I want Henry to find "clues" (which aren't actually clues, but he thinks they're) when he's back from the military when I guess he's 25? He leaves when they're 17 for the military and is supposedly MIA and somehow Jane is going to be unconsciousness. I just know one or more of the witness isn't going to be total truthful
    6adMCGP.gif