Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Bouncy Castle: Bounce off Some of Your Ideas Here! ALL GAMES WELCOME

Comments

• Options
    LillyDovesLillyDoves Posts: 698 Member
    edited October 2017
    So my vampire story would be mostly about this teenage vampire who doesn't remember her past but is seeking to join this coven of vampires that don't stand for the old ways of vampirism. They would be very modernized and their goals would benefit the humans and possibly aliens they work with.

So the not so lovely vampire teen would have to endure trials that are centered around blending in and being more modern. One of them would be as already mentioned caring for two dogs from a puppy to they pass away. Of course this trial would be on going while she does the other five trials. This trial would teach her the importance of caring for mortal creatures and mortals.

Also each trial will have one central idea of which they hope to teach new potential members to be more modern.
    What do you guys think would be good for the other five trials?
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
  • Options
    StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Awesome! I'm so glad you started this! I'm tagging @LillyDoves since she asked if we had a thread like this!

**trying to think what ideas I want to bounce off**

OK... here's sort of a stylistic question. @15aewar and @Karilan and sissy @friendsfan367 I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, since I think you're also writing a lot of stories in diary/journal/letter form...

Currently, I've noticed that most of my active stories are written as diaries/journals or letters. This always leads me into somewhat of a stylistic dilemma. If you read most people's letters or diaries, they tend not to be that descriptive and, unless written by someone with a literary bent, they tend not to be that literary. For example, you won't often find dialogue in a letter... Most letters and journal entries written by real people are written in summary or reflection, rather than in scene.

I usually start my letters or journal entries in reflective mode or summary, but then, once I feel the reader has transitioned into them, I slide into scene, showing what happened, using dialogue, and so on...

Does this break the illusion of the letter or journal entry?

Does it matter if it does?

@CathyTea Just my two cents, I don't think there's anything wrong with that style as long as the transition from and back to the letter is clear. For example if you think of it like how a movie might do it they start with the narration of the letter with maybe a slow pan on the words, then a transition into the acted scene along with a set up line from the letters text that sets up what the letter is discussing and the scene is showing. This makes it so that the point get's across that what is being shown is being described in the letter while still allowing for it to be shown as a proper scene not just the direct written words from the letter itself.

As an example of this in a written medium:

Dear Tony,

I always appreciate these chances to write to you. As hectic as life gets these quiet moments just to sit at my desk and just write for a bit is such a joy. I would of course prefer if we could talk in person buy obviously that isn't really possible right now. I hope that life has been treating you well, as to my end I recently went to our Aunt Dana's wedding. It was a lovely spring wedding. The sun was shining all the flowers were in full bloom. And you really should have seen how amazing Dana looked in her lace gown as she walked down the aisle. But like you always tell me nothing ever seems to go according to plan and accordingly there was this strange man in back who seemed to be staring at her husband to be rather intently.

George kept glancing back at the black haired man at the back of the church. Why did it have to be now. What about tomorrow, or next week, any day would have been better. Not here, not at their wedding, not in front of Dana. etc, etc, etc.

The transition is blatant enough that the reader can understand the transition has occurred and isn't left confused as to whether it's a letter or a scene but at the same time the letter portion led into it with things like comments on the scene and the line about the mysterious man to set up the coming scene while still being in letter format before the transition. There are probably other ways that the transition could be further smoothed out as well but that's at least my take on it.

• Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Oh I'm excited this thread exists, @15aeear. I'm definitely bookmarking it. Love the title.
    CathyTea wrote: »

Currently, I've noticed that most of my active stories are written as diaries/journals or letters. This always leads me into somewhat of a stylistic dilemma. If you read most people's letters or diaries, they tend not to be that descriptive and, unless written by someone with a literary bent, they tend not to be that literary. For example, you won't often find dialogue in a letter... Most letters and journal entries written by real people are written in summary or reflection, rather than in scene.

I usually start my letters or journal entries in reflective mode or summary, but then, once I feel the reader has transitioned into them, I slide into scene, showing what happened, using dialogue, and so on...

Does this break the illusion of the letter or journal entry?

Does it matter if it does?

@CathyTea I haven't read your more recent stories, but I would say it doesn't matter. I love dialogue too and it's hard for me to get away from it. :) I'm all over the place when I journal but I generally don't write dialogue and just summarize and reflect.

With letteresque writing in stories, I like the first person omniscient option (like the writer writes in future present reflecting on past present if that makes sense). I actually did this is my short, So This Is Love (and I'm on my phone so I can't link properly -
    https://thekrazycrazylifeofkass.wordpress.com/2015/06/01/so-this-is-love-brigit/). Also @swcheppes has a great reflective narrative style (without dialogue if I recall) in Super Dating.
    i'm still stuck on how to write ericas dad dad stepmom.

i think first there should be a conversation between adrian and maggie about how to explain it but iget stuck after that.

why do i love the benders so much they complicate my story?

@friendsfan367 Personally, I love complicated stories. It's challenging as a writer. The more complicated, the better. I tend to free write when I'm stuck about a complex situation and then use what I can.
    LillyDoves wrote: »
    So what does everyone think about a more mundane plot for Generation two where it's everyday struggles?

Or something more dramatic like the current generation?

@LillyDoves Sometimes I struggle with this too. My main story series, KFSS, became complicated fast, and I struggle to get the chance to breathe with Kass, my MC. I feel like down time is necessary and realistic. If it helps, you could do a combination and ease yourself, your characters, and your readers into it.
    Yay another place to discuss writing, like I don't already have enough excuses as it is :PDo you think it's okay to have those "boring" segments of a story or do you think there needs to be some form of aspect to constantly grab and hold the readers attention. Do you have any methods you use to try to keep things interesting during this kind of chapter when you are trying to give the characters some quiet time or doing a set up chapter before things get more dramatic?

@AuroraLockwood On that note, like I said above, sometimes it's good and refreshing to give your characters and readers a breather. I like utilizing cliffhangers to be honest, even in my slower chapters. Or emotional punch lines (like emotionally charged statements). However, I also like to use these chapters for character development and give my characters an opportunity to reflect in their own way and style.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    I know w/ my Rashmon chapter in the future someone isn't telling the truth of the people (I haven't picked them yet) who will be involved except for Jane herself because she's will be unavailable to comment (alive but not awake).
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    So the not so lovely vampire teen would have to endure trials that are centered around blending in and being more modern. One of them would be as already mentioned caring for two dogs from a puppy to they pass away. Of course this trial would be on going while she does the other five trials. This trial would teach her the importance of caring for mortal creatures and mortals.

One having to do with self control is always a good one, especially for vampires. Persuasion, stealth, and mind-wiping (since you're working with aliens,) could also be fun.

You know what else could be cool? A test scenario where she doesn't know she's being tested, perhaps one with all of the above incorporated. A simulated apocalypse, perhaps?
    15aewar wrote: »
    How would you guys feel about reading a chapter of a story in Twine (that is, if I can get it working?)

I just realized that you guys might not know what Twine is. Basically, it's kinda like a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book maker. Here's the website, if you're curious: https://twinery.org/

here's an example of a Twine game: http://correlatedcontents.com/misc/Father.html
  • Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    @LillyDoves Apologies, I haven't read your legacy yet, but I don't think it would be boring to go with slice-of-life style drama. There can be a lot of drama found there without going too crazy. Even if it is less so, it will make the crazier generations more stressful by comparison.

@15aewar I had not heard of Twine, but definitely going to have to look into it. I have written a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure SimLit for a much later release, and would be happy to share some details about how I managed it if you'd like.

@AuroraLockwood I struggle with the same thing in my stories, as well as balancing bad or dark story lines with fluffier ones. The way I look at it is as I said above, the calmer parts make the dramatic parts stand out. I don't think they are boring. They can be a welcome change at times for readers who stay caught up, and they will go by in a blink for those who binge read.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    @LillyDoves I agree a lot with what @Karilan said about less-dramatic parts (or even whole gens) kinda "enhancing" the more dramatic ones :)

I think the only thing to be wary of is pacing. I kinda learned this the hard way! The majority of my 5th gen was very mundane/everyday type drama. I wanted to move a little slower to really develop my heir as a character, but in doing so, I went a little TOO slow to the point where some readers were getting bored/restless waiting for the next gen. So you might notice that gen 6 is moving a lot more quickly than gen 5 did!

So basically, I think doing more day to day drama stuff will be really good as long as you don't make my mistake of slowing things down too much! :blush:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    edited October 2017
    @LillyDoves I agree a lot with what @Karilan said about less-dramatic parts (or even whole gens) kinda "enhancing" the more dramatic ones :)

I think the only thing to be wary of is pacing. I kinda learned this the hard way! The majority of my 5th gen was very mundane/everyday type drama. I wanted to move a little slower to really develop my heir as a character, but in doing so, I went a little TOO slow to the point where some readers were getting bored/restless waiting for the next gen. So you might notice that gen 6 is moving a lot more quickly than gen 5 did!

So basically, I think doing more day to day drama stuff will be really good as long as you don't make my mistake of slowing things down too much! :blush:

I can only second this. My gen 2 has been a bit too long (not as long as A2A gens but still long) because I had too many slow everyday chapters at the beginning and now we're finally to my favourite part (not my reader's favourite but mine because of their reactions :D. I know i'm evil. >:) ) and I've figured out how much works for me. It's a matter of what works for you and your readers.
  • Options
    I don't understand how I'm can make such romantic chapters despite the fact I don't, and haven't yet had a boyfriend. My only source of romance come in the form of stories like Nancy Drew and fairytales.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    While this is not exactly a plot idea, I do have a concept to bounce off you guys.

I've heard one of the biggest problems with legacies is that you don't tend to get new readers once you hit gen 4-5 because it's a lot of content to catch up. I have written my Grace series in such a way that you could jump in at the start of any generation and not be lost in the story, but reading all generations just enhances the depth of the story.

I was thinking of going one step farther. I'm contemplating writing an abridged version of each generation that would include all the important plot points and characters, but obviously not the depth of the full story. I'd be crunching 30,000 word books down likely into a 3000 word.

I imagine this will probably affect people who won't read through the 30,000 word version, but I hope it's worth it to have more people who are able to follow the current generation. Keep in mind this is going to be 26 generation story, not just 10 generations.

What are your thoughts? Can anyone with a long legacy share their experience with readership?
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    Karilan wrote: »
    I'd be crunching 30,000 word books down likely into a 3000 word.

That sounds like a great idea to me! It's nice to have a guide (or a refresher, for those who've forgotten what has happened.)
  • Options
    @Karilan Your thought/idea is one I have considered before!

I have had a few readers "jump in" in Gens 5&6, and although I always appreciate readers, it also makes me sad because I feel there is so much those readers are missing in terms of the family history and the backstory of the older characters (for example, people who jumped in on Gen 6 probably think Joce is Zayne's mother and know nothing of all the drama and complexities that led to where they are today!)

I guess, for me, the biggest downside to offering a generation summary would be that any new readers you do get would be much less likely to take the time to read the full gens. Why read the whole thing when the "sparknotes" version is so readily available?

Now, because your story is gonna be 26 gens, I don't think this is a bad idea. I know I just named a bad side haha but that doesn't mean I don't think the idea has merit either! It's something of a double edged sword.

If it makes you feel any better, we are 3 chapter away from the 400th A2A chapter (yes, really!) and I still have people who do start at gen 1! I had one silent binge reader catch up today (commented to say they did! Haha) and another is a good chunk into Zayne's gen (she's been reading for a few weeks).

I feel like this comment contradicts itself a lot haha Lets just say that I do think the idea has both good and bad aspects to it. And also, even if you don't do it, I promise you that you will be pleasantly surprised by still getting some new readers. Maybe not as many, but the few who do will definitely be dedicated :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    Thanks @15aewar ! Yes, I thought it would be a good refresher for those who actually have read it too.

Thank you @CitizenErased14 A2A was the first simlit I jumped into, and it was definitely a lot to read but I loved every minute. Between us, I think your story is full of drama and reasons to keep going, whereas my first generation is fairly tame. I don't know how I would feel about certain characters in your story if I had just jumped in late. To be honest, it's crushing every time Joce & Clara are featured now because it reminds me how empty the house is. After 4 busy generations, it's sad to see it so quiet.

Hmm, what about a compromise: I had intended to just read through book 1 and condense sentences, but what if I wrote an entirely new entry like a biography? Perhaps a last reflection from that generation's perspective summarizing their life... That way it would be new content for those who read the entire book, but also entice new readers to dive in properly and experience their life.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words about my story @Karilan ! And your compromise idea sounds really good! :blush:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Thanks @15aewar ! Yes, I thought it would be a good refresher for those who actually have read it too.

Thank you @CitizenErased14 A2A was the first simlit I jumped into, and it was definitely a lot to read but I loved every minute. Between us, I think your story is full of drama and reasons to keep going, whereas my first generation is fairly tame. I don't know how I would feel about certain characters in your story if I had just jumped in late. To be honest, it's crushing every time Joce & Clara are featured now because it reminds me how empty the house is. After 4 busy generations, it's sad to see it so quiet.

Hmm, what about a compromise: I had intended to just read through book 1 and condense sentences, but what if I wrote an entirely new entry like a biography? Perhaps a last reflection from that generation's perspective summarizing their life... That way it would be new content for those who read the entire book, but also entice new readers to dive in properly and experience their life.

I've seen something like this done before and while it was an option I prefer to read the entire story (no matter how long) to get all the details. @mypalsim1 does this with her story Chain Reaction and it works really well because of the exact reasons you said. (It's a seperate post and summarises every 25 chapters so there's limited reading if you want to catch up really quick.)
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Right now, I'm writing the second entry to the Penvellyn Legacy. Do you guys like reading little stories about minor characters in a series? I only ask because I'm trying to give Randulf's companions some backstories.
  • Options

I was on Gen 6 of the Swansons when I got new readers of @LegacySims2017 and @fewlines and @Haflinger. I don't know how far they've gotten in my story..and I'm on Gen 7 currently.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Right now, I'm writing the second entry to the Penvellyn Legacy. Do you guys like reading little stories about minor characters in a series? I only ask because I'm trying to give Randulf's companions some backstories.

I haven't read it yet, but from my experience fans always love more content. When I get obsessed with a story I'd rather have an over abundance of information! If it's a story you'd like to explore, I say go for it!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    @Karilan Your thought/idea is one I have considered before!

I have had a few readers "jump in" in Gens 5&6, and although I always appreciate readers, it also makes me sad because I feel there is so much those readers are missing in terms of the family history and the backstory of the older characters (for example, people who jumped in on Gen 6 probably think Joce is Zayne's mother and know nothing of all the drama and complexities that led to where they are today!)

I guess, for me, the biggest downside to offering a generation summary would be that any new readers you do get would be much less likely to take the time to read the full gens. Why read the whole thing when the "sparknotes" version is so readily available?

Now, because your story is gonna be 26 gens, I don't think this is a bad idea. I know I just named a bad side haha but that doesn't mean I don't think the idea has merit either! It's something of a double edged sword.

If it makes you feel any better, we are 3 chapter away from the 400th A2A chapter (yes, really!) and I still have people who do start at gen 1! I had one silent binge reader catch up today (commented to say they did! Haha) and another is a good chunk into Zayne's gen (she's been reading for a few weeks).

I feel like this comment contradicts itself a lot haha Lets just say that I do think the idea has both good and bad aspects to it. And also, even if you don't do it, I promise you that you will be pleasantly surprised by still getting some new readers. Maybe not as many, but the few who do will definitely be dedicated :)

i've ner started at the begining of your story so i read on post whwere harper was at least 2 with a earache the next one she was like 16 and messing with her tutor.

but i wasn't confused.
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member

I love it, especially in stories like yours, in which the lore is all! :) I'd love little mysteries, little humor stories, and little drama stories!

While this is not exactly a plot idea, I do have a concept to bounce off you guys.

I've heard one of the biggest problems with legacies is that you don't tend to get new readers once you hit gen 4-5 because it's a lot of content to catch up. I have written my Grace series in such a way that you could jump in at the start of any generation and not be lost in the story, but reading all generations just enhances the depth of the story.

I was thinking of going one step farther. I'm contemplating writing an abridged version of each generation that would include all the important plot points and characters, but obviously not the depth of the full story. I'd be crunching 30,000 word books down likely into a 3000 word.

I imagine this will probably affect people who won't read through the 30,000 word version, but I hope it's worth it to have more people who are able to follow the current generation. Keep in mind this is going to be 26 generation story, not just 10 generations.

What are your thoughts? Can anyone with a long legacy share their experience with readership?

This fits with the style you've established for your legacy, which includes the "Behind the Keys" look. It also might inspire readers to pick and choose which generation they want to read!
    So my vampire story would be mostly about this teenage vampire who doesn't remember her past but is seeking to join this coven of vampires that don't stand for the old ways of vampirism. They would be very modernized and their goals would benefit the humans and possibly aliens they work with.

Also each trial will have one central idea of which they hope to teach new potential members to be more modern.

This sounds SO good! I really like the theme.

I also enjoy the first challenge that you have. Caring for two dogs definitely does develop compassion and putting another's needs first! Also, dogs just have a way of softening and broadening the heart! :)

So... it seems like your challenges have the goal of developing within the vampires the skills they need to promote the new mission.

With that in mind, definitely any challenge that develops the ability to live within mortal limitations (limits on power, energy, intelligence, physical abilities, capacity, and so on) would probably fit...

Also, the milestones for the Good Vampire aspiration might give some inspiration! I have a story where a young vampire is questioning her role as a vampire, and she has the Good Vampire aspiration. As she works towards fulfilling that, I can see that it develops her character in the way I want it to go...

What if one trial were to live as a mortal for a while? For example, to take the cure and then to complete a very mortal aspiration (like soul mate or friend of the world, or something...)

Also since they want to be "more modern," maybe some of the geekier aspirations might be useful!

This sounds really neat, and I'll look forward to the story!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    On a similar topic of diary/journal/letter told stories though...

I have a story I hope to release soon that is exclusively told through letters, but you only get to read one half of the letters (not the responses)

I'm having trouble deciding whether to only include screenshots that the character would include as photographs in the letter, or include screens of the writer's life as well.

For example, I have one birthday entry where she sends a gift with the card, but obviously does not state what the gift is because everyone opens the card first. If I don't include any "over the shoulder" type screen shots of the writer's life, you'll never know what the gift was, but to be honest I'm not sure if it's important?

@Karilan I think if you want to throw in a screenshot picture of the individual Sim with the gift, that is absolutely an option. You could also describe the gift in the letter, maybe drop hints as if the writer is trying to help the reader guess what the item is. A third option could be to include a line as a P.S. with something like "I hope you like the [insert gift]." Just a few thoughts from the peanut gallery. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options

i think first there should be a conversation between adrian and maggie about how to explain it but iget stuck after that.

@friendsfan367 I also had a thought later about this topic. Whenever I'm wondering how or if I should write about a character in my Sims stories, I ask myself several questions. 1) How is this character integral to the family? 2) How is this character important for the plot? 3) What kind of character development can I include in this chapter? For example, I'm not caught up with the Benders, but say with Eric's dad's dad's stepmom,
    you could explore the complication of the relationship connection, or discuss how Eric's dad's dad got remarried and why and what happened to his first wife, or how Eric's dad was influenced by his grandfather's new wife,etc. (would this be Eric's grandfather's great stepmother?? - not sure if I understand the connection correctly).

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options

@LillyDoves Neat idea. Maybe one of the trials could be related to technology, like starting a blog maybe about their life as a modern vampire, or a vlog. Maybe another one could be a community service related one, and construct something for the community. Or possibly another one could be about learning the customs of humans, so the character would need to befriend a human and learn how to be a friend. Learning to control vampiric urges might be an interesting one so maybe a bunch of scenarios where they might be tempted to give into "drinking plasma" for example, but they must withstand. For some reason, I have this image of a camping trip and being stuck out in the woods with humans and no plasma fruit (and I'm coming from a TS3 mindset - I haven't played with vamps in TS4).

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    How would you guys feel about reading a chapter of a story in Twine (that is, if I can get it working?)

I just realized that you guys might not know what Twine is. Basically, it's kinda like a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book maker. Here's the website, if you're curious: https://twinery.org/

here's an example of a Twine game: http://correlatedcontents.com/misc/Father.html
    @15aewar That example was addicting. I had fun reading and getting lost in the world and wondering more and more about what was going on. I used to check out Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books from the library all the time. I loved them. I wrote one or two of them back in the day by hand, but technological advances certainly make this easier. I would absolutely love to see this done with the Sims. I find the concept fascinating, especially paired with different outcome endings in screenshots would be fun to capture in game and illustrate in story options. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

@friendsfan367 I also had a thought later about this topic. Whenever I'm wondering how or if I should write about a character in my Sims stories, I ask myself several questions. 1) How is this character integral to the family? 2) How is this character important for the plot? 3) What kind of character development can I include in this chapter? For example, I'm not caught up with the Benders, but say with Eric's dad's dad's stepmom,
    you could explore the complication of the relationship connection, or discuss how Eric's dad's dad got remarried and why and what happened to his first wife, or how Eric's dad was influenced by his grandfather's new wife,etc. (would this be Eric's grandfather's great stepmother?? - not sure if I understand the connection correctly).

he was in a relationship with maggie.