Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Bouncy Castle: Bounce off Some of Your Ideas Here! ALL GAMES WELCOME

Comments

• Options
    PurplishSimEaterPurplishSimEater Posts: 563 Member
    @15aewar My personal choice would be green or purple, but I'd say it depends on what your character's priorities are.

As for my own question: I keep flip-flopping between two really similar names for a child in my legacy, and as it's a child due to be born this generation I'd rather get this sorted out sooner than later.

Options:
    Choice 1: Beatrice
    • nicknames: Bea, Beatriz
    • a bit more traditional/timeless which I like
    • that being said, I'm not 100% sure I could see my character going this route for a name
    Choice 2: Beatrix
    • nicknames: Bea, Trixie
    • more modern, which I could see my characters rolling with and liking
    • however, I'm not 100% sold on it as a name

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.
    Works in Progress: Fitzgerald Family Fables
    House: Ravenclaw/Pukwudgie | Wand: 12 1/4", Spruce & Phoenix Feather, Hard flexibility | Patronus: Black & White Cat
  • Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    @15aewar My personal choice would be green or purple, but I'd say it depends on what your character's priorities are.

As for my own question: I keep flip-flopping between two really similar names for a child in my legacy, and as it's a child due to be born this generation I'd rather get this sorted out sooner than later.

Options:
    • that being said, I'm not 100% sure I could see my character going this route for a name

Sometimes a child having a name they don't like can be important! If you see any character development or plot that could come from them being named Beatrice, then I say go with that one. (I also prefer that name.)

Otherwise, if the modern name makes more sense for the story, then I'd stick with that.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member

Options:

I like the last one myself it makes me think of Beatrix Potter the author of "Peter Rabbit". Through one of the 2 nicknames makes me think of another mystery series-ie Trixie Belden mysteries
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    I'm planning on a huge fight scene and I don't know if I should have my sims wear "special" clothing or not?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    I'm planning on a huge fight scene and I don't know if I should have my sims wear "special" clothing or not?

I think that would be a great idea! I would think your everyday clothes would get messed up in a fight. Although, a fight in formal wear might be pretty entertaining...
  • Options
    15aewar wrote: »
    MadameLee wrote: »

I think that would be a great idea! I would think your everyday clothes would get messed up in a fight. Although, a fight in formal wear might be pretty entertaining...

@15aewar well this is more like a duel similar (but w/o swords) to what the sim's great-great-great grandmother who fought against someone who will end up being their *other* great-great-grandmother due to the one's great-grandchild marrying the great-grandchild of the other (J/R plotline w/ babies). But I think that formal wear-since it will give some of the opposing fighters creeps, because of nightmares they had due to a certain plotline in my story
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    PurplishSimEaterPurplishSimEater Posts: 563 Member
    @MadameLee That's why I was considering going that route for the name, lol.

But I came up with a sorta-compromise so I can use both names:
    Start out with Beatrice, who hates her name and insists on going by Bea until a friend overhears her dad calling her Beatriz and mishears it as Beatrix, which evolves into Trixie and a legal name change to Beatrix once she's a YA
    Works in Progress: Fitzgerald Family Fables
    House: Ravenclaw/Pukwudgie | Wand: 12 1/4", Spruce & Phoenix Feather, Hard flexibility | Patronus: Black & White Cat
  • Options
    lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
  • Options
    I'm having this fight(s) planned and since I have 2 (fictional) regions, Enrichment (bad one) and Anneriones (Anne+heroines ie good ones) the former is co-ed but the latter is based on Disney heroines including princesses. Well I don't know if I should have the actually goddess Mulan (ie god of war/fights) or the current Annerione priestess-Rosemary be there during the fight(s) or maybe they should take turns?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    @MadameLee Turns sounds like a good idea! They both seem like they'd be ideal in this situation.
  • Options
    I don't know how to weave in how the heir is chosen into my story. I do a public poll, but I don't know how it should happen in-story because the Sims are aware that there is a Legacy, so it can't just flow in the usual way. Help?
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    I don't know how to weave in how the heir is chosen into my story. I do a public poll, but I don't know how it should happen in-story because the Sims are aware that there is a Legacy, so it can't just flow in the usual way. Help?

Are the Sims aware that there is a reader poll? If so, they could do things to try to sway the vote!

Here are a few other options I can think of....

--invent some criteria that would determine who is selected (just for story purposes--then, whomever wins the poll would be the one who met the criteria...)
    --have the parents talk with the kids about it, and the kids talk about it amongst themselves...
    --have the ones who don't win not want the heirship
    --or have them want it and feel jealous of the one who gets it!

Basically, you can weave the story around the way the heirship is decided, and the readers will follow the plot that you write.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options

I don't break the 4th wall by acknowledging the voting process in my legacy, but I try to set up all possible heirs with believable reasons for being the heir, or not being the heir! A big difference with my heir is that they are the one to leave the house and start fresh.

Cathy's got great ideas! I've had some ideas on how to introduce the "competition" into the story too:

-Have all heirs apply for school, and the winner of the vote be the only one to get an acceptance letter
    -If the parents of the previous generation are elderly, have them separate their belongings among the children in a way that makes the heir very logical
    -give the non-heirs reasons why they don't want the inheritance (hidden bitterness towards siblings, longing to go their own way, distaste for family name or reputation?)

I'd love to see how someone else handles voting in their legacy. Need to book mark your story! :)
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    @Karilan @CathyTea Bouncing off of Kari's letter idea, what do you two think about a letter arriving from the Watcher and then disappearing once it's been read?

(They're not aware of the reader poll, but I might weave it in as other Watchers discussing it with their Watcher?)

Thanks for your advice. It really saved my bacon!
  • Options
    @15aewar thank you! then I will go ahead with that
  • Options
    LillyDovesLillyDoves Posts: 698 Member
    What does everyone think of a idea based off the idea of modern day segregation where the main characters would be against it. It would be a romance where this rich family took in these two African American kids whose parents died, the kids come from a wealthy family but when the parents died the money vanished and supposed family friends took them in. The daughter of the family that took in the kids would have a problem with how her parents treat and talk to the older of the two kids. This would lead her to running to where the older kid lives (a small shed like building in the back of the lot) to get away and this would start the romance.

The younger kid who was took in would be favored over the older one because she was young enough for them to change into who they wanted her to be and she will often get angry at her brother for not giving into their rules.
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
  • Options

Options:

I like choice 2 but my reasons for it a little biased cause I have actually have a cat named Beatrix lol but I love the nicknames for Beatrix more than the ones for choice one.
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
  • Options
    LillyDoves wrote: »
    What does everyone think of a idea based off the idea of modern day segregation where the main characters would be against it. It would be a romance where this rich family took in these two African American kids whose parents died, the kids come from a wealthy family but when the parents died the money vanished and supposed family friends took them in. The daughter of the family that took in the kids would have a problem with how her parents treat and talk to the older of the two kids. This would lead her to running to where the older kid lives (a small shed like building in the back of the lot) to get away and this would start the romance.

The younger kid who was took in would be favored over the older one because she was young enough for them to change into who they wanted her to be and she will often get angry at her brother for not giving into their rules.

It sounds pretty cool to me! I love the idea of pitting two siblings against one another, too, and possibly touching on the issue of assimilation. Oh, it might also make sense to try to flesh out the reasons why the family likes segregation (as unpalatable as it is,) so we can at least try to see their rationale.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    LillyDoves wrote: »

It sounds pretty cool to me! I love the idea of pitting two siblings against one another, too, and possibly touching on the issue of assimilation. Oh, it might also make sense to try to flesh out the reasons why the family likes segregation (as unpalatable as it is,) so we can at least try to see their rationale.
    Good luck!

Hmm they are very snobbish and when the oldest didn’t conform to what they wanted they decided to just keep him away while including his sister in their daily life. The oldest is treated like hired help because he didn’t want to change for them.
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    For the first time in TS4, other than my pending ISBI challenge, I feel truly inspired after playing Cats and Dogs last night. I'm thinking of writing a story based on characters my cousin and I created when we were pre-teens, fraternal twin sisters, who never quite got along, returning to a childhood vacation home. :) I've always wanted to write a twins story. Also I know Brindleton Bay is modeled after New England, but it reminds me a smidge of happy memories in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

My thoughts are the sisters both left home at 18 and never looked back. For whatever reason, they were not close with their parents, but they did spend many pleasant summers in New England. Whatever the reason, neither twin wanted to return (trying to think of reasons). And I'm trying to figure out what other town they grew up in (maybe Willow Creek, so I could do Southern accents) and where they both came from (different parts of the country). One sister will be an artist and the other a singer/ musician.

After a decade, they are both returning to BB after learning their grandfather has passed and they inherited the boat house. Surprisingly, their mother did not inherit the property, despite next placement in line. Years ago the main house was sold to another family to pay for the aging grandfather's care.

The twins are initially cordial to one another, but like always, both sisters are stubborn and hot headed, and it doesn't take long to begin arguing. Both ladies plan to stay only as long as they can find a buyer, but then some cute furry critters and a love of the sea and new happy memories draw the estranged sisters together, but not without mishaps and adventures.

I'm thinking of titles too... The Boathouse at Brindleton Bay or Return to Brindleton Bay or Reunion at Brindleton Bay?

I'd love your thoughts.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    For the first time in TS4, other than my pending ISBI challenge, I feel truly inspired after playing Cats and Dogs last night. I'm thinking of writing a story based on characters my cousin and I created when we were pre-teens, fraternal twin sisters, who never quite got along, returning to a childhood vacation home. :) I've always wanted to write a twins story. Also I know Brindleton Bay is modeled after New England, but it reminds me a smidge of happy memories in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

My thoughts are the sisters both left home at 18 and never looked back. For whatever reason, they were not close with their parents, but they did spend many pleasant summers in New England. Whatever the reason, neither twin wanted to return (trying to think of reasons). And I'm trying to figure out what other town they grew up in (maybe Willow Creek, so I could do Southern accents) and where they both came from (different parts of the country). One sister will be an artist and the other a singer/ musician.

After a decade, they are both returning to BB after learning their grandfather has passed and they inherited the boat house. Surprisingly, their mother did not inherit the property, despite next placement in line. Years ago the main house was sold to another family to pay for the aging grandfather's care.

The twins are initially cordial to one another, but like always, both sisters are stubborn and hot headed, and it doesn't take long to begin arguing. Both ladies plan to stay only as long as they can find a buyer, but then some cute furry critters and a love of the sea and new happy memories draw the estranged sisters together, but not without mishaps and adventures.

I'm thinking of titles too... The Boathouse at Brindleton Bay or Return to Brindleton Bay or Reunion at Brindleton Bay?

I'd love your thoughts.

This sounds like such a lovely story! Here's my thoughts for you to throw at walls.

Reasons to stay in Brindleton Bay:
    -finds a relationship there
    -job offer that they can't pass up
    -lack of funds to move back, and by the time they have funds they love the place
    -parents passed?

Origins:
    -Love the idea of them growing up in Willow Creek
    -I could imagine the singer moving to a busier place (perhaps to the city as a budding country artist?) and wanting to return to a quieter town
    -Artist could move anywhere with beautiful landscapes! Maybe not near much water so that Brindleton has contrasting appeal?

Title:
    -Reunion at Brindleton Bay is my fav. Return sounds nice too especially if you build up their resistance to return.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options

I'd love your thoughts.

I, for one, vote for Return to Brindleton Bay because it reminds me of Return from Witch Mountain. I also think the whole thing sounds kinda cozy, like an episode of Andy Griffith. Go for it - I really like the idea!
  • Options
    I have a question of my own:
    Would any of you be interested in a history-themed reading circle?
  • Options
    I have a question of my own:
    Would any of you be interested in a history-themed reading circle?

yes

6adMCGP.gif