Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @MiaSkywalker SO glad you got signed back in! Don't worry too much about the missing items, if you take pictures of where everything should be I can replace them on my end. And yes, will definitely let you know if I don't recognize an object somewhere :)

I hope you don't mind I took a slight break from castle building last night to work on the Clue mansion for the BuildnShare Challenge. Still toying with whether to add secret cellar passages...

@ADWilson Nice to see ya back! Ooh I love that little shed and garden area you've got there!
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
  • Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    Thank you, @creativemetaphor and @ciane
    The shed you see is actually a garage, but perhaps I should add a shed onto the back near the garden area. Thanks for the idea!
  • Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    ADWilson wrote: »
    @Kgaff Good Morning :smiley:

Do you like the color scheme?

Children's play area is still under construction.
    2nd floor is getting a re-vamp because I decided a Jack-and-Jill bathroom would be better than one that gets shared among the siblings.

More updates will be shared later!

Addy, it's looking real good!! I can't wait to see the inside. The color is fine and I like the way you did the columns in front. They're not my favorite ones but they do work very well here. It looks just like the inspiration pic.

I also like the detached garage being back from the front of the house, nice touch :)

One thing on the upper floor. Since I don't know the layout yet, would it be possible to get two or even three windows with shutters across the front? I think it would balance out with the first floor and really add to the curb appeal. If it messes up the layout don't worry about it. :)
  • Options
    I'm sorry that happened to you Mia. The best option is always to MOVE the files to a temporary holding file before deleting just in case.
    I too like a really clean, organized system and delete old saves after quitting or before reloading the game. At the same time, I move out the old screenshots (which I often leave in on quitting so I can quickly scan what I was doing that folder when looking to start up next time).

CC icons show up for homes saved to the bin and recolors. So I assume that some of the venues created by EA were saved to the bin during their creation and that makes them vulnerable to being seen as cc vice store. Did Delphy's tool see it as cc too?
  • Options
    Kgaff wrote: »
    Addy, it's looking real good!! I can't wait to see the inside. The color is fine and I like the way you did the columns in front. They're not my favorite ones but they do work very well here. It looks just like the inspiration pic.

I also like the detached garage being back from the front of the house, nice touch :)

One thing on the upper floor. Since I don't know the layout yet, would it be possible to get two or even three windows with shutters across the front? I think it would balance out with the first floor and really add to the curb appeal. If it messes up the layout don't worry about it. :)

Thanks for your valuable input :)

I usually don't use those columns either. Fancy that!
    Glad you like the detached garage since I purposefully chose to place the house in order to have one. lol
    Nothing is set in stone so I'll play around with the layout and see about getting shuttered windows upstairs. Curb appeal is always nice!
  • Options
    MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    @creativemetaphor:

I would like to ask you what roof you prefer. The first roof is the default. You may not have the second or third roofs; they're store roofs, and I don't know which worlds they're from.
    2unwm7c.jpg
    k2bcox.jpg
    11in61l.jpg
    riswp5.jpg
    I would also like to ask if you want me to change out the windows in the tower. It would be purely cosmetic since that room isn't used, but I don't particularly care for the windows it has.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @creativemetaphor:

Some window choices. Some of them don't look as good as I thought they might, though. I think I'll only change out the windows facing outward to the streets, since the others get cut into by the roofs. I think that might be why they chose those windows, even though they're not that attractive otherwise.
    90y5hc.jpg
    2pzehs8.jpg
    n369mb.jpg
    2jfm0jk.jpg

Edit: I think this one is my favorite. With this CASting and the size of it, I think it looks best. What do you think?
    6s9kyu.jpg
  • Options
    romagi1romagi1 Posts: 6,988 Member
    edited May 2017
    Hi Ladies, I'm thinking those 2 store roofs are from DV. They don't list the roofs in DV like they do in AS but by looking at some of the picks of the EA homes for the world, I am thinking they are from there.

https://simsvip.com/sims-3-world-guide/

• Options
    @MiaSkywalker
    Edit: I think this one is my favorite. With this CASting and the size of it, I think it looks best. What do you think?

Looks great! And I think I have those rooves, but I also think I like the original :)
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker

Looks great! And I think I have those rooves, but I also think I like the original :)
    Ok, then I'll change them out, and then take my final outside pictures. (Already finished the inside ones.)

Btw, apparently the massage table DOES install in dbc rather than ebc files, because after reinstalling that, I had a dbc file in my cache folder. I just hope it doesn't show up as being CC when I do the export, like happened in a previous build I made.
    romagi1 wrote: »
    Hi Ladies, I'm thinking those 2 store roofs are from DV. They don't list the roofs in DV like they do in AS but by looking at some of the picks of the EA homes for the world, I am thinking they are from there.

https://simsvip.com/sims-3-world-guide/
    Really? I didn't know about that part of that site, but looking at the screenshots for that world, the third roof shows up on their buildings a lot. I think that roof works very well with many medieval builds, although I think the roof truly stands out in Victorian builds.

Ironically, I don't think it works well for the roof on this particular building. It shows the seams harshly, far worse than the default or thatch roofs do. And yet it's better at hiding certain kinds of seams than some of the other roof types.

I think I like the dark shingle the best for this. It hides the seams better than the other roofs do. I don't like seeing roof seams. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @Creativemetaphor:

Warrior Training Grounds: Dragon Valley gym revamp

Description from the lot: "Dragon Valley's gym (The Practice Pit), revised for a more medieval look. Upstairs is a small bistro, and downstairs there are archery ranges, a workout center for your warriors, and some saunas and hot tubs for relaxation afterwards. There are also a few surprises, if you look hard for them, and several hidden things, including a tomb of a fallen hero. No CC or CAP. Created for CreativeMetaphor, by Mia Skywalker. "

You can find a tomb walkthrough here. I don't recommend reading it unless you're stuck, or you want to see how I created the linkages. I do recommend having invigorating elixirs, some good fruits to eat on your Sim, and either the Steel Bladder LTR or a witch that's high enough level to cast needs charms. Either that, or you might need to xenoport out before the end to get your needs back up, and then xenoport back to the spot that you left, later. (You will need to do that, because some of the room exits won't be reset, at least until you've accessed the final room.)

Final images. I've deepened some of the colors of the building; the original colors felt a little dull and bland before. I didn't lighten any, but I made the browns a bit deeper and more saturated. It gives it more depth, I think.

The outside pool is supposed to represent a sword. I hope I managed to convey that idea.

Outside
    30vcimb.jpg
    2rfpvfm.jpg
    zmgsnm.jpg
    mb5n50.jpg
    2dv0t2h.jpg
    2v35ton.jpg
    1twy8p.jpg
    2cwwl81.jpg
    35ary8i.jpg
    2meblgp.jpg
    34xm51c.jpg
    zvedqc.jpg
    nwbh9s.jpg
    2ztletd.jpg
    s5d2jm.jpg
    slr8jq.jpg
    2ivd3cy.jpg
    1zqrerd.jpg
    17a6bc.jpg
    dbkx7s.jpg

Floor overviews
    sc3kzo.jpg
    2uft8cx.jpg
    zo6u4y.jpg

Ground floor, bistro level
    205oy86.jpg
    307xa0w.jpg
    16lcvok.jpg
    28v926c.jpg
    174gur.jpg
    zvpl08.jpg
    2rzp5k2.jpg
    258tp90.jpg
    vfjck3.jpg
    xqgzn8.jpg
    30mo8lf.jpg
    34et65y.jpg
    o7vij7.jpg
    mogmt.jpg
    x5ccgh.jpg
    2nb7ckj.jpg

First floor basement, fitness level
    2lcwhnl.jpg
    4hw5qt.jpg
    2lsigwl.jpg
    350ujnl.jpg
    2hgtonp.jpg
    2pqlsmg.jpg
    25rcr6b.jpg
    16hm7au.jpg
    vp7wcl.jpg
    madm4g.jpg
    20ku8ax.jpg
    260u3d4.jpg
    28c2iqc.jpg

Second floor basement, relaxation and bathing area
    2hwnzhx.jpg
    2dwajd3.jpg
    iohlas.jpg
    4l3p1s.jpg
    2janq1k.jpg
    10e29ah.jpg
    nwhhqa.jpg
    30rn1ad.jpg
    2n85w6r.jpg
    2v28747.jpg
    mt7amh.jpg
    npp6qt.jpg
    fns0v6.jpg
    309tw76.jpg
    29ktlc7.jpg
    2im56yd.jpg
    10nx76f.jpg
    x0tshc.jpg
    10h3n8x.jpg
    35lzuxs.jpg

Some tomb images while my Sim was testing things, just for your amusement. :)
    p3lgp.jpg
    2zyyk9w.jpg
    dpeg6p.jpg
    mhggfb.jpg
    13zy6hv.jpg
    20rwwf8.jpg
    It's ironic how the mummies started ignoring my Sim once she hit level 10 martial arts. Except that one time where they beat her up and cursed her! I especially wish I had done a screen capture of the time the mummy got those little hearts over its head and he said, "We have so much in common. I would like to get to know you better!" I had been too surprised to pause the game and get a screen shot, but boy, do I wish I had!

You can find a TL;DR description of the build here, along with more images. (Or maybe the same ones, but I think there are more.)
    Post edited by MiaSkywalker on
  • Options
    Your building turned out great Mia!
  • Options
    ciane wrote: »
    Your building turned out great Mia!
    Thank you Ciane. :)

I hadn't realized that the EA builder had used fencing on the roof as a sort of roof topping, but it works very well that way. I think I might try doing that in the future, if I can figure out exactly how they did it. :)
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker Sorry for radio silence last night, we had *epic* thunderstorm!! Which I love, but won't use my computer during.

Mia that is a stunning build!!! With all the new stuff I've gotten it'll take me a bit to look through the pictures and see if I have everything :)<3
  • Options
    @Kgaff
    While construction is going on upstairs, time to take a sneak peek of the grounds and downstairs.

Your suggestion for shuttered windows really made all the difference! But don't take my word for it ...
    Screenshot_zpsfcojipw0.jpg

Ground Level
    9e44f350-cf72-4f8d-9c2d-7111a591649d_zpsfbufjqng.jpg

One-Car Garage
    Screenshot-2_zps7uuk0glt.jpg

Garden placed near the kitchen for easy access to fresh produce. Dine inside or outside when the weather's nice and the lounge area conveniently overlooks the toddler play area.
    Screenshot-3_zpsldhsrcze.jpg

The toddler play area is separate from the area for older children but still provides visibility between them. Siblings can look out for one another as they chat or play together.
    Screenshot-4_zps2yshfobn.jpg

Main Floor
    f4c224b5-1010-4d3f-afe0-34e0b16a3158_zpselhvnm0b.jpg

Living/Dining
    Screenshot-6_zpsd7atn13m.jpg
    Screenshot-7_zps4mul6i1o.jpg
    Screenshot-8_zpsmqa5prgl.jpg

Hallway
    Screenshot-9_zpst2hskmge.jpg
    1249b479-3faa-4d9a-b5c8-f21e5154f5de_zpsoq18nzjn.jpg

The kitchen is to the left of the stairs
    Screenshot-11_zps3bj2afpi.jpg
    Screenshot-12_zpsm5mwg7eo.jpg

Can eat meals in the kitchen when it's just family
    Screenshot-13_zpsazessath.jpg

Sims can remove their shoes before trekking in dirt or mud from the garden or play areas
    Screenshot-14_zpsygnsnu7e.jpg

Half Bath
    Screenshot-15_zpsfho8ylpz.jpg

Master Bedroom
    Screenshot-16_zps5zaq8ouv.jpg
    Screenshot-17_zps466ligwg.jpg

Walls were purposefully left blank so family portraits and paintings could be displayed
    Screenshot-18_zpsfjrgmn2z.jpg

Master Bath
    Screenshot-19_zpshfm1t89h.jpg
    Screenshot-20_zpsm3m6eoem.jpg
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker Sorry for radio silence last night, we had *epic* thunderstorm!! Which I love, but won't use my computer during.

Mia that is a stunning build!!! With all the new stuff I've gotten it'll take me a bit to look through the pictures and see if I have everything :)<3
    I forgot to pull the statues and deco from the tomb area and do a shot of them; will do it today. Actually, I had intended to, but loading the main menu took so long, I was too tired by that point. Once I've done that and had you look at those items, I will export and upload.
  • Options

@ADWilson Wow you made a ton of progress!! I love the shuttered windows, they add...what's a good word... ah, they add charm to the house. I <3 it!

That back yard looks like a lot of fun! I enjoy the tree house for sims of all ages, if you know what I mean >:)

I really like the yellow kitchen, it's bright and cheerful. The layout is very nice and looks nice and open with just enough separation from the kitchen and bath. Loving the blue throughout and oh! the walk-in closet~ I never think of putting closets in my houses. That's a nice touch and leaves more space in the room itself. I like it!

The only change I would make is the ceilings. The dark color seems too heavy. Maybe a white patterned ceiling in the kitchen and a clean white or off-white ceiling throughout the rest so as not to distract from the furnishings and decor. :)
  • Options
    Addy, I love the shuttered windows too! You have a really nice layout and pretty colors. My personal favorite is the light wood and white combination on the bedroom furnishings. That is the perfect mirror to go over that dresser, I think!
  • Options
    Whew! Glad you're liking what's been done thus far @Kgaff

Yellow is such a fun color that works really well in a kitchen and it paired nicely with the green appliances. Am trying to branch out a bit with colors because I seem to be picking a lot of blue palettes for your build.

Glad you mentioned this because I was wondering if you'd think the dark ceiling was a bit too much. Good to know that you don't mind white or off-white because that should brighten up the space a bit. :)

Thanks for your kind words @ciane
    I spent time placing different mirrors with that dresser and felt the one chosen was the best fit for the look that I was hoping to achieve. Thanks for noticing this effort.
  • Options
    I'm sorry that happened to you Mia. The best option is always to MOVE the files to a temporary holding file before deleting just in case.
    I too like a really clean, organized system and delete old saves after quitting or before reloading the game. At the same time, I move out the old screenshots (which I often leave in on quitting so I can quickly scan what I was doing that folder when looking to start up next time).

CC icons show up for homes saved to the bin and recolors. So I assume that some of the venues created by EA were saved to the bin during their creation and that makes them vulnerable to being seen as cc vice store. Did Delphy's tool see it as cc too?
    I'm sorry I didn't respond to this before. (I thought I had, but I think the forum might have hiccuped. Or maybe I did.)

Fortunately, I did move them to a temporary location. After installing the massage table again from the site, I noticed that it had created a new dbc file, so apparently that item installs that way. I copied the previous dbc files back (renumbering them first so they didn't overwrite the new one), and strangely, I now have TWO massage tables listed in my game. One shows with a store icon, and the other shows, strangely, as base game. I need to figure out which one works properly. I believe the one I've already placed in the build SHOULD work, but for the future I'll need to know which one of the ones listed actually work.

When I moved the sims3pack file into my Store objects folder after doing the install, it indicated there was another file with the same name. Comparing the files shows different file sizes. I'm guessing the other was a corrupted download, which may be what caused the problem I'd had before.

On another note, after comparing a number of Egypt base camp upgrades, I've decided that I like yours best. :) The only thing I'm going to add to it is a sauna, I think. You can get a couple of nice buffs from it, and I like stacking buffs. :)
  • Options
    @creativemetaphor:

Are there any items from here that you don't have?
    104q35v.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    After installing the massage table again from the site, I noticed that it had created a new dbc file, so apparently that item installs that way. I copied the previous dbc files back (renumbering them first so they didn't overwrite the new one), and strangely, I now have TWO massage tables listed in my game. One shows with a store icon, and the other shows, strangely, as base game. I need to figure out which one works properly. I believe the one I've already placed in the build SHOULD work, but for the future I'll need to know which one of the ones listed actually work.

When I moved the sims3pack file into my Store objects folder after doing the install, it indicated there was another file with the same name. Comparing the files shows different file sizes. I'm guessing the other was a corrupted download, which may be what caused the problem I'd had before.

On another note, after comparing a number of Egypt base camp upgrades, I've decided that I like yours best. :) The only thing I'm going to add to it is a sauna, I think. You can get a couple of nice buffs from it, and I like stacking buffs. :)

I'd try moving out the .dcb file you just installed (but after you upload this lot). Then renumbering the old .dbc files back to what they were. AND deleting the missingdeps file from the dccache folder. Then delete your normal *cache.package files (or at least the one that rebuilds images) and restart your game. See what it looks like then.

And, yay for liking my Egyptian base camp best! I think a sauna incorporated there will be awesome.

• Options
    I'd try moving out the .dcb file you just installed (but after you upload this lot). Then renumbering the old .dbc files back to what they were. AND deleting the missingdeps file from the dccache folder. Then delete your normal *cache.package files (or at least the one that rebuilds images) and restart your game. See what it looks like then.

And, yay for liking my Egyptian base camp best! I think a sauna incorporated there will be awesome.
    What does the missingdeps file do? I've never known, so I have never wanted to mess with it.

I hadn't even realized that base camp was yours, until after I decided which one I liked the best. I was looking at them in my test world, and it was only after I made the decision that I compared it with your studio and realized it was the one you had built. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @ciane It's time to call it done!! I think I have gone as far as I can. This place came in at a whopping 166,000 plus simoleons!! Holy Simoleons!!!

I think the outside is very true to the original picture and I simply went nuts on the interior. It was so fun to build.

I will have pictures up later this weekend, I've got to get them organized and into photobucket. I hope you like it and have a very rich sim who can move in and enjoy it :)