Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    @ciane LOL! I had totally forgotten about the car being there until I had hit the export button. I was using it to size out the balcony and just left it there. Consider it a bonus :)
  • Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @MiaSkywalker Sorry, it's been a busy weekend with the sun and warmth making it possible to finally get out and do yardwork.

I *do* almost have your build done, finished the first floor and cellar level. I pretty much just have to touch up the exterior and place it on a larger lot to add the moat! Oh, and take a boat-load of pictures. Very excited though! :)

From your pictures, after staring at them for a while and searching through the build menus, I don't recognize the following - doesn't mean I don't have them but I don't recognize them or I don't know where to find them.

Main floor inside -
    *the barrels behind the stair railing, not the stacked ones but the upright ones
    *the vase of flowers beneath the tapestry (next to the kumquats and behind the vase with the sunflowers)
    *the tricolor flower barrel

Basement
    *the picture over one of the hot tubs of a nekkid person prancing amongst swirls
    *robed statues on a round base

From your tomb spread:
    *the knight's helmet on a wooden base
    *the statue of the man holding a platter
    *the gold filled chest
    *the... black panther? statue

I believe I have everything else I can see.

@ciane That's beautiful! Sorry I don't have time to comment on the individual pictures, but I love everything I saw!
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker Warrior Training Grounds came out great! I can't wait to download it and explore the dungeon which I am sure is way better than the one I did.

I did peek at the walk through but only the first few lines and then I said "NO try it first" and I closed the page. Nice to know you left us a map :)
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    From your tomb spread:
    *the gold filled chest

The knight's helmet is from the Tudor set - cost is 500. The statue of a man holding is a platter is 400 and is a statue of "service" and the black panther I remember thinking you didn't have that - Roaring Heights or Regency Arcade. I'm too tired to look now.

@ADWilson - I built another LL lot from scratch to check on the mirror over the sink issue. I got it all done and was testing and even with no cc in a fresh LL load, the mirrors didn't work UNTIL I put the upstairs sink in a little larger bathroom. Who know they needed extra room and that a wall or fence nearby was a bad thing?

Any way, I know have two other slightly different builds that I may or may not upload. I do hope the original that I uploaded is the final version from before my computer problems.
  • Options
    MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    edited May 2017
    @MiaSkywalker Sorry, it's been a busy weekend with the sun and warmth making it possible to finally get out and do yardwork.

I *do* almost have your build done, finished the first floor and cellar level. I pretty much just have to touch up the exterior and place it on a larger lot to add the moat! Oh, and take a boat-load of pictures. Very excited though! :)

From your pictures, after staring at them for a while and searching through the build menus, I don't recognize the following - doesn't mean I don't have them but I don't recognize them or I don't know where to find them.

Main floor inside -
    *the barrels behind the stair railing, not the stacked ones but the upright ones
    *the vase of flowers beneath the tapestry (next to the kumquats and behind the vase with the sunflowers)
    *the tricolor flower barrel

Basement
    *the picture over one of the hot tubs of a nekkid person prancing amongst swirls
    *robed statues on a round base

From your tomb spread:
    *the gold filled chest

I believe I have everything else I can see.
    The standing barrel... Oh, I think that might be from Barnacle Bay. Drat. Didn't think of that when I placed it. You can't gift items from that. Well, it's just deco, so will be replaced; you can just delete the replacement item. BB goes on sale a lot (or used to, at least) on Origin. I recommend it, if for nothing else, for the clothing. It's pretty much impossible to find medieval looking athletic wear, EXCEPT for the BB clothing. It's the only medieval clothing that I know of that is also categorized for athletic. At least, that's what I'm recalling. It also has other build/buy items that are not listed under "items" for that world. Pretty much anything from that world looks really good in a medieval build, including the stairs and fences.

I thought you had the Tudor set? Hm.... Wait, now you do! :lol: (Gifted it from a friend's account, since I haven't earned enough points yet on my own.) That will give you the heraldric wall hanging that I have on the first floor, as well as the knight's helmet. You'll love everything that comes with that set, especially the clothing. :)

The wall thing over the hot tubs is from Hollywood Regency Den. It's called Ascension is Paramount. I've gifted that to you; it should help with your CYS. The black panther is from Haute Hip; you have that now, too. I hope some of these things help your CYS on the sets and compilations. :)

I can't seem to find either the statue of the man with the platter, or the gold filled chest. They might be from a world, in which case they won't show up in the Buy section of the store catalog. Drat. I'll look into that. But they're just deco, again. Still, they added to the ambiance of some of the rooms, so... *le sigh*

The statue of the man in robes with his hands up is from Midnight Hollow. You have that world, don't you? I never play it (it's too dark), but it's got lots of things in it that are great for medieval builds/worlds. (And I NEEDED the roof pieces that came with the gold version, so even though I had bought the standard when it first came out, later on I got the gold version through MMLMAO.)

Unless you're talking about another robed statue? The girl statue in front of the sauna rooms is from the Storybook set. I was SURE you had that; it's part of Make a Wish. I don't remember any other robed statue in this build....

I'm going to look into those various flowers. I wanted to get you the tomb things first, but hopefully I'll be able to afford the plants. If not, that's what ads are for. :)

By the by... if you put them on your wishlist, they'll be easier for me to find. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Kgaff wrote: »
    @MiaSkywalker Warrior Training Grounds came out great! I can't wait to download it and explore the dungeon which I am sure is way better than the one I did.

I did peek at the walk through but only the first few lines and then I said "NO try it first" and I closed the page. Nice to know you left us a map :)
    Actually, that map was originally to help ME. That walkthrough was my notes on what I was doing with each room. I just deleted the things like, "I need to test this." And "Tested this, it works. Going to see if it works X way." Those weren't necessary for the walkthrough. :)

The walkthrough is also my documentation, so that if I need to change things later, I know what I've done. Any good programmer knows to include lots of documentation. If you don't, then you'll go back to your program years later, scratch your head, and say, "What the heck was I trying to do HERE?"

But I figure it will be useful for anyone who gets stuck. And there are one or two places where you might, because the puzzles get a bit tricky. :)

Just... read all the plaques. All of them. Some of them you have to, to even continue, but pay attention to what they say. They give you clues. :)

Oh, and if you're at all like me, there's one that you'll ignore, out of curiosity. No worries, it won't hurt you TOO much, but take a screenshot of what happens if you do it. :)
  • Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    @ciane My architect-to-be is in <3 with the clean lines of her new home!
    Screenshot-5_zps131y687l.jpg

She's also curious to find out what all those unknown plants are in her garden.

Looking at your blog, it looks like just about everything is included with this version. The only noticeable thing missing is the decor mirror-like piece that goes to the right of the kitchen wall and complements the one that was placed to the left. I browsed through decor but was unsuccessful in locating it. Any idea what it is?

screenshot-42.jpg?w=500
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker notice I didn't say I didn't *have* those items, only that I couldn't find them. :lol: I might have them and just not know it.
    And oh dear! Mia, I have most of the tudor set, was missing an item here and there, I hope you didn't gift the whole thing???
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @ADWilson, that other wall piece was from an older store promotion probably and maybe free if you were logged in and downloaded it. I did log in back then just to get the free store items. I thought, as you are a long time simmer, you might have it. Since you don't, I don't think you can get it. BUT copy the other one over and switch up the recolor panels for a complimentary look. The downside is that the one you have is 400 simoleans more expensive, so you might have to save a bit first.

I'm so glad you moved a sim in and like the looks (of the kitchen at least). Feel free to change up anything else without hurting my feelings at all.

Addyoops should have uploaded now too. That's the red version I was doing on my laptop. I made another version too where I turned the house around so the back became the front and switched the stairs to the other side. I realized that I forgot to put ceiling tile over the newly extended section. So, I'll have to go back in and add that and tweak cost stuff some more before uploading that.

This is Addyoops. I didn't change the name after I figured out the mirror problem and made the bathroom larger. http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9085162

I added a wall fence and a hot tub after doing the earlier pictures. And, of course, made the bathroom bigger, so some adjustments were made to furnishings.

Later today I may get a chance to delete some more of my media pics so I can upload a few more. Being on my mac means that I can't just upload pics to image sites. There is a way to do it, but it involves putting in a program that will allow uploading and more messing around with things I'd rather not do since I will have a new computer hopefully later this week.

I have been researching cpus and gpus and mobos all weekend and am going back to the computer builder this morning. He made his build seem like it would work, but he doesn't play sims and really didn't know how much this game takes to run well. His virtual quad core was only a hyperthreaded dual core, which won't work so well. A real quad core needs a better mobo than he might have planned on using too. And though he plan to use an nVidia graphics card, it wasn't the ti version. So... hopefully, he wasn't going to get started until today as he said parts would come in today. Now I don't know how long it will take to get the NEW parts, but, I know it will be worth the wait.

I've only to finish up CASting and tweaking and do a play test on creative's build. And, revisit that ceiling tile issue and some tweaking on the third version of the LL build for Addy.

I hope you are all looking forward to the next builds. I an looking forward to seeing what you all come up with.
  • Options
    This is the red laptop version for @ADWilson now in one post with pics to make it easier for Mia.
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9085162
    It's called Addyoops because I had that issue with the mirrors. Apparently mirrors are just finicky. I deleted the one downstairs and extended the bathroom size upstairs. The mirrors there now work.
    old pics:
    old pics, but no or few changes:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    I added a hot tub and a wall between the parking spot and hot tub that isn't in this pic:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    red kitchen:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    red living room:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    new pics:
    I couldn't add many because every time I delete pics out of the media section, I get to add fewer pics!
    Here you see the hot tub and wall as well as the layout. I turned the bookcases to angle in the corners and deleted the coffee tables to bring the price down under 33k.
    screenshot_original.jpg
    He's cleaning the toilet for you. :smiley: Plumbing downstairs is self-cleaning, but not upstairs. See the bath now has the sink inside and the bookcase was moved from in front of the window to in front of the railing.
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    ciane wrote: »
    I couldn't add many because every time I delete pics out of the media section, I get to add fewer pics!
    That's not true with your blog, is it? Or do you not have access to that right now?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    My Mac does not like any image uploading. It simply won't do let me log on the sites at all. I can use the launcher, so I can upload directly to my media section, which no one else can see. I went through and deleted a bunch of old pics; but it's like the old pics were smaller in size 'cause it's not a one for one exchange. I'll delete six pics and only get five more uploaded. So I have to really pic what I want to share!

The good news is that I am getting a way better awesome new PC (which won't have all the EPs and SPs) and it might be ready for me for the weekend. So, I'll finish up creativemetaphor's build this week and upload early. Then, I'll be reinstalling everything on my new PC. I'll have to find some physical disks for what I'm missing before I can play with all my stuff, but I'll probably load them and just see what's missing. :)
  • Options
    @creativemetaphor The statue of the man with the platter is "Dedication to Service" from the Regency Arcade which unfortunately still has this 'This set is not available for the Complete Your Set discount at this time.' on it.

The "tri-colored" flower barrel is from Barnacle Bay.

• Options
    My Mac does not like any image uploading. It simply won't do let me log on the sites at all. I can use the launcher, so I can upload directly to my media section, which no one else can see. I went through and deleted a bunch of old pics; but it's like the old pics were smaller in size 'cause it's not a one for one exchange. I'll delete six pics and only get five more uploaded. So I have to really pic what I want to share!

The good news is that I am getting a way better awesome new PC (which won't have all the EPs and SPs) and it might be ready for me for the weekend. So, I'll finish up creativemetaphor's build this week and upload early. Then, I'll be reinstalling everything on my new PC. I'll have to find some physical disks for what I'm missing before I can play with all my stuff, but I'll probably load them and just see what's missing. :)
    Ahhh.. I see. Yeah, I wondered if you might not have access to your blog from your Mac. There are some sites I can't access from a particular browser or computer as well, so I understand that. It bites, though. You have a great blog. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Here's the build I started from scratch in a fresh Lunar Lakes to test the mirror issue. I used NO CFE and still experienced the same problem in both the lower level and the upper level; but in the redo with a bigger bathroom upstairs where I stuck the sink on outer wall away from the door, the mirror worked. I think the problem is being too close to a door. In both cases, the door was just a tile away.

Anyway, when I went back into my test version after enlarging the bathroom in the Oops version, The metal was reflecting the Lunar Lakes green. So to make it more different from the other two builds, I changed the red color back to green and turned the lot around so the back faced the front. I had added a fountain instead of a pool to this version, so the fountain feeds the green wall and the water trickles back down into the fountain pool. I like the way that turned out, so I'm uploading this version too. Even though it's really close to the Oops version, I expanded the bedroom so the garden area is smaller. It doesn't have as much in it either as it didn't benefit from play testing. I only checked the mirrors. But, the windows are placed differently and there's the addition of a grill. So, all three builds might work in a world.

Here's the link: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9085192
    And here's just a few pics:
    Here's the cool fountain:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    And here's the back showing the hot tub and grill area where I switched the stairs around and cut back the jut out space one tile on each side.
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Inside it's a blue green pop color instead of red:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    The upstairs pic:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Post edited by ciane on
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Here's the build I started from scratch in a fresh Lunar Lakes to test the mirror issue. I used NO CFE and still experienced the same problem in both the lower level and the upper level; but in the redo with a bigger bathroom upstairs where I stuck the sink on outer wall away from the door, the mirror worked. I think the problem is being too close to a door. In both cases, the door was just a tile away.
    That large, bendy light with the green crystals in it - is that a light that's on the lot, or a street lamp? I don't remember ever seeing that in the Buy section, but I might just not have noticed it.

It's interesting what you're learning about that mirror. Some items in the game act weird, don't they?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    That is a street light found in the outdoor light section. It's the one used in Lunar Lakes.

I think I've had issues with the mirror before, but I used to use sliders on them to make the look the way I wanted. Then, we discovered that sims would sink into the lower level if you lowered the mirror or end up walking on air if you raised them, so I quit using sliders for mirrors. They are fine for deco items that you only look at, but not for mirrors. Mirrors are more finicky than I knew! I think I spend too much time building and not enough time playing!

I'm going to go back to the post where I put pics for creative and add in a few more that I was able to upload. But, I'm not going to add many as this law of diminishing returns is working against me! Then, I'll link that pic thread and post the upload link in that thread when I finish. It's much easier on a blog!

@creativemetaphor - Here is the link to the previous post. I added front and back pics and overviews.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15739469/#Comment_15739469
  • Options
    @ADWilson, @Kgaff,

I just realized I hadn't commented on either of your builds.

Kgaff, that house is fantastic! You managed to make it as true to the inspiration picture as I think it was Simanly possible. The inside is just as wonderful as the outside; sleek lines and shiny surfaces, perfect for Lunar Lakes or Lucky Palms. (And probably Oasis Landing, although I've never been there yet.) I think my favorite rooms are the kitchen and dining room, although you use my favorite bed in the master bedroom, which pulls me towards that one, too. I don't think I've ever put the ping pong table in a home, but it's a great addition! (And reminds me of some of my friends' homes back in the 70s and 80s.)

Addy, although the house style you made isn't one I would normally use, the insides are all nice and cosy, and the colors are soft and comfortable. I can see plopping it down in Riverview or Sunset Valley for one of the townie families to live in. If I ever played a legacy (heck, if I could ever get past second gen as children), I would pop a non-heir into it. I could also see living in it in real life, and just loving it. :)

• Options
    @creativemetaphor The statue of the man with the platter is "Dedication to Service" from the Regency Arcade which unfortunately still has this 'This set is not available for the Complete Your Set discount at this time.' on it.

The "tri-colored" flower barrel is from Barnacle Bay.
    Oh, you know, they don't show up when I looked at those sets. I just looked at BB again, and it doesn't show that flower barrel. But then, it lists one item as "Buccaneer's Bounty", so no way of knowing what specifically comes in that set.

Regency Arcade is part of the October 2011 compilation. You might not care for any of the other items in it, but at one time the Boho Men's set was free, and I recommend the Vineyard Villa set, if you don't have it. I use the refrigerator from it in a lot of medieval builds, and most of the other items, as well. (Although the bed doesn't have a very good energy rating for a double bed, sadly enough.)

Oh, and Creative, I know you don't care for the modern stuff like what comes in Glitter and Glam, but this bed.... <3 I love the chair, the chandelier (the picture from the set page doesn't show it very well), and the dresser, too; they look great in rococo builds. The other stuff I could give or take. But it gave me CYS on other things. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @MiaSkywalker I know I have Vineyard Villa - I had wanted the Regency Arcade, I think I missed it when it came up on DD last time. Barnacle Bay is one I'd like to get eventually so...

I've got the Glitter and Glam set, I used that bed in your castle :mrgreen:
  • Options
    We got our thread back!!

YAY, @MiaSkywalker I have pictures to share for you!!!

CLICK TO SEE PICTURES!

This isn't all of them, but I snapped a bunch of floor overviews when I was done (mostly) with the build but haven't done the moat just yet, but still!
  • Options
    YAY!!! So glad to see this back!!!!
  • Options
    YAY!!! So glad to see this back!!!!

Me too!

• Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    I agree! It's good to see this thread up and running :smiley:
  • Options
    Oh, thank goodness all the threads are back! I had been so upset to see everything gone. :cry: Not just this thread, but all the threads I like to look at, and the tutorials I still want to be able to reference.